Galveston Recovery

My wife and I made a "tour" of Galveston yesterday. The Flagship is not open and from the looks of things it may not reopen at all.

The seawall area is operational, allthough some places are under repair.

The Strand is cleaned up and open but there are only a handful of stores up and running. The Star drugstore is open and if you have not had lunch there you are missing a treat.

The terminal area is operational, no problem parking or getting to the terminal.

There is much damage throughout the island and recovery will take awhile.

The most striking visual affect is the dead trees along Broadway and the plastic trash that hangs from trees and fences and the devastation of the Payco Marina on the right of the causeway as you come into Galveston.

If and when the Flagship reopens it will be under a new owner. The prior manager led it into deplorable conditions and was not worth staying there.

The 1894 Grand Opera House opened last night to a sold out crowd. Cosmetic repairs need to be completed, but it is great going to our theater.

Sky Bar is open and will be open 7 days a week, with lunch being served starting Jan. 12th.

Saltwater Grill is scheduled to open in early May. Mario's on Seawall is owned by the same group and is serving some Saltwater dishes.

Post Office Street was power washed and swept yesterday.

Our city continues to recover at a remarkable pace.

My wife and I made a "tour" of Galveston yesterday. The Flagship is not open and from the looks of things it may not reopen at all.

If and when the Flagship reopens it will be under a new owner. The prior manager led it into deplorable conditions and was not worth staying there.

When I was in Galveston in November, I thought the Flagship looked like it was in a general state of disrepair...more than just storm damage. When I compared the condition of the Flagship to other heavily damaged structures, the Flagship looked worse. It almost appeared that the damage had been there for a long time instead of being recently caused by Ike. When I saw the Flagship there were no signs of repair or reconstruction that we witnessed everywhere else on the island.

The 1894 Grand Opera House opened last night to a sold out crowd. Cosmetic repairs need to be completed, but it is great going to our theater.

Sky Bar is open and will be open 7 days a week, with lunch being served starting Jan. 12th.

Saltwater Grill is scheduled to open in early May. Mario's on Seawall is owned by the same group and is serving some Saltwater dishes.

To Galveston Cruiser and cruiseloverand agent...

Thanks to both of you for continually updating all of us on the recovery in Galveston. I was so happy to see on the news a few days ago that the 1894 Grand Opera House had reopened.:)

Hi Galveston Cruiser, thank you for all of the information. I was wondering if you knew anything about the Ramada on seawall? I have reservations for my 3/1/09 cruise and cannot get any info about if they are open or not.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ginny

Thank you for your quick response!!! I did call the toll free number, they told me to call the Galveston hotel directly, which I did and there is no answer. I guess that should have answered my question huh? :)

You sealed the deal for me, I will look for another hotel. Thank you

Ginny

• 2 weeks later...

There was an article in the houston chronicle on Monday regarding how the Seawall needs to be repaired/replaced. It took quite a beating throughout the years and Ike has broken the structure down to the core in some areas.

I really hope Galveston can bounce back. From the damage, the many hotels that are still closed, the boards still up in many places....its gonna be awhile. Its probably a lot better today then a few months ago but a lot of work still needs to get done....

Have any of you seen the Baymont Inn? Is it up and open for business. I understand that some of the hotels are being used to house displaced residents. Is that true of the Baymont? We have areservation there for Mar.1. Thanks for your help and good luck with the recovery. I always enjoyed Galveston on prior visits.

There was an article in the houston chronicle on Monday regarding how the Seawall needs to be repaired/replaced. It took quite a beating throughout the years and Ike has broken the structure down to the core in some areas.

I really hope Galveston can bounce back. From the damage, the many hotels that are still closed, the boards still up in many places....its gonna be awhile. Its probably a lot better today then a few months ago but a lot of work still needs to get done....

It is alot better today than a few months ago but a lot of work still needs to get done.

Something like 37 hotels/motels out of 43 are open. More to open soon. Harbor House and Tremont.

Yes some are renting to displaced Galvestonians,

and the contractors. Has to happen this way.

Yes..... housing is tight..... but rooms are to be had.

Have any of you seen the Baymont Inn? Is it up and open for business. I understand that some of the hotels are being used to house displaced residents. Is that true of the Baymont? We have areservation there for Mar.1. Thanks for your help and good luck with the recovery. I always enjoyed Galveston on prior visits.

OPEN

Something like 37 hotels/motels out of 43 are open. More to open soon. Harbor House and Tremont etc.

Yes some are renting to displaced Galvestonians,

and the contractors. Has to happen this way.

Yes..... housing is tight..... but rooms are to be had.

You many want to make alternate plans.

Saturday week ago some of my family stayed at Gaidos

on Seawall for around $80 on a short notice reservation.

Nice small motel with resturants all around. And especially 1913 Gaidos a 4 star Seafood resturant in house .:D

Hi Galveston Cruiser,

My friend and I are on going on a cruise out of Galveston March 21 and we plan on staying an extra two days after the cruise on the nights of March 26 and 27. Now I understand Galveston was badly damaged by Ike several months ago but I also understand you all are recovering at an amazing pace, so kudos for that. My question is, will my friend and I still be able to have a good time in Galveston for those two days? We're both college students who don't drink but just love to travel the world and see new places. We're content with just relaxing on the beach but also enjoy a healthy dose of activities within the city. Some activities we're already planning on doing include visiting the space center in Houston and going to Wasserfest in Galveston. Any other ideas about things to do in Galveston? Thanks so much for all your help and answers over these past months in regard to your city.

Hi Galveston Cruiser,

My friend and I are on going on a cruise out of Galveston March 21 and we plan on staying an extra two days after the cruise on the nights of March 26 and 27. Now I understand Galveston was badly damaged by Ike several months ago but I also understand you all are recovering at an amazing pace, so kudos for that. My question is, will my friend and I still be able to have a good time in Galveston for those two days? We're both college students who don't drink but just love to travel the world and see new places. We're content with just relaxing on the beach but also enjoy a healthy dose of activities within the city. Some activities we're already planning on doing include visiting the space center in Houston and going to Wasserfest in Galveston. Any other ideas about things to do in Galveston? Thanks so much for all your help and answers over these past months in regard to your city.

Howdy eXCell2nd! 50.gif

If y'all are "into" old houses and cars, the Moody Mansion http://www.moodymansion.org/ will be having Auto Fever Thursday, March 26, 2009, 10am – 3pm included in the price of admission to Moody Mansion. Three Moody family restored automobiles will be exhibited along with exhibits regarding the impact of the automobile on the Moody family, Galveston and the United States.

Also, there is lots to see and do at Moody Gardens http://www.moodygardens.org/.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and I hope y'all have a wonderful time on your cruise as well as your days in Galveston!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived