Curious as to what others think would be fair?

We were on board Freedom last week, it was terrific no comlaints here. Seated at our dinner table however, was a nice older lady with her granddaughter from the UK. They were celebrating the granddaughters 21st B-Day with B2B this week (9-28) being the first half. They were in a JS on deck 9, noticed when they arrived it felt like the carpet had just been shampooed and didnt think much more of it. Awoke the next morning to water squishing between their toes when they walked across the floor (the whole room not just one spot). Called down immediately, room attendant arrives first and says "oh no not again". Maintenance arrives asks the ladies to leave the room for the day, they should be done by 5:00 in the evening. Go back to the room at 5, floor a little damp not squishy anymore, go to dinner arrive back in room to terrible odor from the carpet, they tell them it will subside carpet still drying. They wake up next morning to squishy floor again, call down to desk and were told they were sending someone up. So by now they were so upset, not a good way to start the cruise, maintenance came and again were asked to leave the room. She went down to customer relations desk they told her they could put them in and INSIDE CABIN for remainder of cruise. Lady tells them no not when she had paid for JS. They then tell her they have a balcony available but only for the one nite as more guests were getting on in Jamaica and were assigned the cabin. They had to pack all their stuff back up and staff moved it for them. That evening they went to check on the JS they had just been moved out of and found that maintenance had went in tore all the carpeting out of the room and replaced it so the man says for her to now go back to customer relations. They do put her back in this room again, never telling her what had happened or why the room kept flooding, no explanation at all. Well thank goodness the problem was solved, but they were till very upset by the ordeal, not a good start to their holiday. Everytime throughout all of this she asked to speak to a supervisor, none were available. Well being that they were doing a B2B they were invited to a party, and this is where she met the hotel director who as it turns out had heard nothing about their ordeal. He told them he would investigate and get back to them. Within 2 hours delivered to their suite was a letter of apology and a paper offering her a discount of 10% off her next cruise :eek: .

What do you think? Was this enough compensation for what they had to go through?

When they get home they have promised to email me and let me know how the rest of their holiday went and if any other compensation was given, because she wasnt settling for the 10% off next cruise. I will let everyone know when I find out.

Sorry for such a long story!

What did she think would be fair?

So it appears she was out of the room for 3 days,but sleep there everynight.

Were there restrictions with the 10%

I would have rather had OBC for the existing cruise.....but 10% off your next one with no restrictions I think is fair.

I do not think that 10% off the next cruise is fair. They should receive at least 10% back on the cruise they were on. They were not able to use the room for a couple of days.

Who knows if they will even take another cruise.

When we were on our last cruise, the shower curtain was not the proper size, so it was impossible not to shower without some water getting out. We asked for a new shower curtain, but they had none on board, not one extra curtain :confused:

So the entire cruise, we had a damp entryway. Squishy, even. We threw down towels as a stopgap measure.

Things like this don't ruin a cruise, but they do impact on one's total experience. We didn't ask for anything, we weren't offered anything.

In this case, I think 10% towards a next cruise is silly. They should have given them 10% off the cruise they were on, that would have been something at least. They paid a lot for a room that was soggy. Unacceptable.

ps I am going to add that 20% off their current cruise (fare only) would seem 'fair'. 10% is nothing. It was RC's fault.

I totally understand why they offer discounts on future cruises. Many will never redeem them and then RCCL is out nothing.

10% to me seems like an insult. 10% is about the lowest you can get for anything. If you look at eating 10% of a pizza, it's a tiny amount.

I think 20% is a more respectable percentage. Or a flat rate of $250.

Or perhaps some special service that retails for more but actually costs RCCL less than face value: spa? specialty restaurant? excursion choice?

JMHO

Lets see :rolleyes: walking across carpet that was so wet it made a squishing sound and not knowing what caused it. Could it be a run off from the toilet, air conditioner, broken water pipe in the bathroom ? :eek: And then hearing "not again" meant that the maintenance staff knew of the problem but could not fix it. No good thing is that since the ladies mentioned nothing about a smell we know it was the waste from the toilet over flowing.

Yes they did sleep in the room but imagine yourself getting up in the middle of the night, at home, to use the bathroom only to have to step down on wet squishy carpet?

Then they had to pack to leave the cabin and pack again to go back into the original cabin. They also were asked to leave the cabin for a whole day (twice) which meant that if anyone wanted to take an afternoon nap in private, not at the pool, they couldn't.

After all this all they received was a letter and 10% off their next cruise?

I think, IMMHO, that they should have received 10% off their final bill for the first week and a 10-15% off a future cruise.

As far as the hotel's director, I think he could have opt for, at least, a fruit basket, tray of chocolate covered cherries and a bottle of wine.

I'm not one for seeking compensation for minor errors, but 10% would have me livid. For how much more you have to pay for JS cabins usually, I would not accept the fact that there were times when I could not use the cabin. I'd probably want a % off of that cruise proportional to the time barred from the cabin I paid for.

I feel so sorry for these ladies. They not only should have gotten OBC plus some other kind of percetage off, you would think that being in a JS would be perfect. I know we had a problem with NCL a few years back, they [romised we wopuld be compensated blah blah blah, sent us a credit for our next cruise with them for $675. This was our first and only hawaiian cruise celebrating our anniversary in a balcony cabin. Well I was so mad I tore it up and haven't cruised with them since. I know I spited myself, but I make sure I warn everyone about NCL, and their "generous" compensation.

I agree that 10% off the "next cruise" is a joke. After that bad of an inconvenience, why would they want to cruise again with the same line ? I would definately have been a squeeky wheel if I was told to leave my cabin for the day ~ that's awful ! And we have also had experience with them NOT reaching management for us. What ever happened to customer service ?

And from a medical standpoint, a wet rug (or rug that had been wet in the past) has strong potential for mildew/mold damage which is extremely unhealthy. That rug should have been replaced immediately and the problem with flooding fixed as well.

I have a problem whenever one has to spend money in order to take advantage of some compensation offer. Maybe I could understand it if the cruise were over and things had to be sorted out. But in this case I think some immediate resolution could have been reached especially since the second half of a b2b was still pending.

And with possible health issues being involved, as someone above mentioned, I think RCI should have bent over backwards to make this situation right.

I often wonder how much Royal Caribbean would have to raise all of their rates for all cruises if everyone were to receive what they felt was "fair" compensation for every inconvenience they encounter.

This is a very valid point and I agree some passengers make a big deal out of nothing to get $$$.

I don't think this is the case here. I don't like to walk on the carpet in my bare feet no matter how clean it looks...let alone letting god knows what squish up around my toes. "not again" indicates it happened before and they just put a band aid on it.

My thoughts since it was 3 days they were inconvenienced...they should receive the equivilent of a 3 day cruise in a JS suite refund and throw in a couple of portofino/chops nights too. I think the refund should be off of this cruise price not future.

I think that in this case a sincere apology from someone in authority, a complimentary meal at a specialty restaurant and a bottle of wine would have gone a very long way. When it appears as if no one cares, then they start looking for or demanding compensation.

10% off of a future cruise isn't that much more than the value of one of the C&A coupons . I think this is rather insulting to these ladies, and I wonder if that isn't part of the problem. The hotel director probably saw a polite British lady with a "small" complaint. I have had the same condescending treatment from businesses myself and I turn around and walk out.... of course these ladies did not have that option. I think I would write a stern letter to the CEO and explain that I expect monetary compensation if they ever expect to see me or anyone I know, on another RCCL ship.

I have always found any "compensation" that required you to spend even more money as a restitution for a problem to be an insult......:mad:

However, to be fair and in an effort of full disclosure, we have been very satisfied the one time we had a problem on a cruise. The conveyor belt that you have to put your bags on when boarding the ship each time grabbed the strap of my purse and tried to pull it on around the belt causing a "logo" leather tag to be torn off. It was a rather expensive bag and the tag was part of the design of the purse. We took a picture of the purse and the torn off tag at the time (so we had a time and date stamp on the photo). We wrote to the appropriate department when we got home and enclosed the photo. In a couple of weeks we got a check for the full price of the purse. So we were more than satisfied to say the least.

I think they ought to have been compensated on their cruise - especially with them being in a JS for a b2b. In the very least, an OBC and maybe an upgrade to a higher level suite.

My concern would also be the health risks of where the "water" originated. Also, was any of their personal items that were on the floor damaged? Was their luggage placed under the bed, like most of us do to manage space? Hopefully RC stepped up to the plate on this one.

We were on the Monarch of the Seas B2B. The water pipe broke and our room flooded. we were in a junior suite and they didn't have another available. We didn't want to move into an inside cabin so we stayed there while they tried to dry it with noise fans. It was still wet 4 days later. All we got was a bottle of wine for compensation.

I stand by my original post but have something to add. Several people here mentioned "especially in a Jr. Suite." IMMHO the category of the cabin has nothing to do with the situation. Anyone in any cabin, whether it be the smallest inside cabin or the largest owner's suite should have received better treatment than these two ladies did.

But, on the good side, we all agreed that the compensation received was totally inadequate. And lets face it - "everyone" in agreement on "any" post here at CC is very rare indeed:p .

Happy cruising everyone!

I stand by my original post but have something to add. Several people here mentioned "especially in a Jr. Suite." IMMHO the category of the cabin has nothing to do with the situation. Anyone in any cabin, whether it be the smallest inside cabin or the largest owner's suite should have received better treatment than these two ladies did.

But, on the good side, we all agreed that the compensation received was totally inadequate. And lets face it - "everyone" in agreement on "any" post here at CC is very rare indeed:p .

Happy cruising everyone!

You are quite correct - the compensation should have been different, regardless of the cabin. Didn't mean anything disparaging by my comment - guess I was personalizing it by thinking about my next cruise (first b2b) and how I would feel if it happened to me :eek: :) :eek:

Normally, I read posts on this site and roll my eyes at what people feel they should be compensated for. But, this is different. IMO, they have a real complaint, so...

1. I do not think 10% off the next cruise is fair at all.

2. I do not know how these things work.. can they get compensation after the fact? Meaning.. once they are back home, can they pursue this with corporate, and possibly get more compensation?

Remember, they will get ALOT further with their complaint if they are civil about it.

Archived