Sharing Half Moon Cay with another ship

matondo

There is also a Medford in Massachusetts.

that would be me! class of 1977 medford high. ;)

Homosassa, I will look for an umbrella just in case I don't get the clamshell. The deluxe suite says it comes with an umbrella...would that be a beach umbrella or a rain umbrella?

Another question, how does the tender service work? Does the tender service both ships or are they exclusive? Before they got the larger tenders, they used to use the ones from the ships. Do they add additional tenders due to the high volumes of passengers? I am just trying to figure out how many hours I will need to allow if I go back to the ship for lunch.

Ship reports has the Maasdam and the Westerdam sharing the island that day.

How about on 11/8/08? (I couldn't find a site that reveals this info.)

We'll be there that day on Zuiderdam, and I'm waitlisted for a clamshell. If I can't get one, it'll definitely be a short beach day for me -- even slathered in SPF50 sunblock, I'd fry to a crisp. :mad:

Caro

We'll be there that day on Zuiderdam, and I'm waitlisted for a clamshell. If I can't get one, it'll definitely be a short beach day for me -- even slathered in SPF50 sunblock, I'd fry to a crisp. :mad:

Caro

Noordam is there on Dec 8, 2008

Another question, how does the tender service work? Does the tender service both ships or are they exclusive? Before they got the larger tenders, they used to use the ones from the ships. Do they add additional tenders due to the high volumes of passengers? I am just trying to figure out how many hours I will need to allow if I go back to the ship for lunch.
I believe one of the ships uses its own tenders.

cruisett.com says just the Zuiderdam

Caro

Deleted.....has already been answered.

Caro

On 11/8/08 You will be there alone

http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=265&date=3

Noordam is there on Dec 8, 2008

On Dec 8, 2008 Noordam shares HMC with the Zuiderdam

http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=265&date=4

Rich

• 2 months later...

I figure all the december cruisers are back. What was it like to have two Vista's at HMC. I'm getting ready to share with the Westy in March.

Anyone been to the lookout bar on the sporting side of the island. I saw it on the map and wondered if it may be quieter?

I looked at the cruise report site and found that the island was empty for most of the week. it seems like they could change the schedule of the cruises to avoid this problem, like have one stop on their way back to FLL?

I have always loved HMC. It was always my favourite port of call.

We have not been there since 2004 and up to that time there was only ever one ship there at a time.

Also, we have only been there on Ryndam, Veendam, Volendam and Rotterdam so not so many passengers as just one of the new larger ships.

I cannot image what it would be like with just one of the new larger ships let alone two of them.

Island paradise? - no longer it seems.

I looked at the cruise report site and found that the island was empty for most of the week. it seems like they could change the schedule of the cruises to avoid this problem, like have one stop on their way back to FLL?

Actually on our up-coming back-to-back cruises -- on the first segment we stop at HMC first and on the second segment we stop there last.

So the schedules do rotate for some of the ships.

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]The one time we got there 2 hours after another ship arrived at HMC -- and it was a beautiful day -- we looked over and it was a sea of people.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]We decided to stay on the ship.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]The other day I was checking out some things on one of the off sites and I noticed that Carnival will be once again using HMC on some winter day stops -- thankfully not when there is going to be a HAL ship in port.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]I think that is the arrangement that has been set within the Carnival Corporation. HMC is technically HAL's island, but the other lines can use it on days when HAL will not have any ships there. Of course, who knows how long that requirement will be in place? The day could well come when HAL passengers could find themselves on HMC along with a large Carnival ship. That's the day HMC will change forever. Drop 6,000 or 7,000 passengers there at the same time and it will not be the same experience. Quite the contrary, it will be a mob scene because the island simply cannot handle all those people.

Even with two Vista ships there on the same day ... I think that's too many people. If it were two of the smaller ships that would be different, but I think with two Vistas ... especially if both are filled to capacity, you're gonna have crowds and long waits for everything. I would imagine you'll also find it difficult to snag any lounge chairs on the beach, especially if you are on the second ship to arrive that day. The people from the first one will have already claimed all the good spots.

I guess if I ever found myself on HMC with another Vista ship on the same day, I would just go over to take a walk around and then return directly to the ship.

HMC is an island paradise best enjoyed with a limited amount of other people. Put a crowd there and it's just not the same.

Just my humble opinion.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='maxsmamma']What was it like to have two Vista's at HMC. [/QUOTE]
Crowded.

Pray you are the first ship to anchor and start ferrying passengers over. At least then you'll probably be able to snag a couple of loungers on the beach. If you're number two, forget it. All the better locations will be taken and you'll be lucky to find one even in a less desirable location.

And, as for the barbeque ... personally, I wouldn't even plan on it. The lines will be never-ending. I'd just plan on going back to the ship for lunch.

Sounds to me like HAL is going to have to start thinking about developing more of HMC if they plan to routinely have two ships there. They are going to need more space. As it stands now, very little of the cay is actually used by HAL ... the rest has been left undisturbed. That's why it can get so crowded there when more than one ship is using it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='kryos']Crowded.

Sounds to me like HAL is going to have to start thinking about developing more of HMC if they plan to routinely have two ships there. They are going to need more space. As it stands now, very little of the cay is actually used by HAL ... the rest has been left undisturbed. That's why it can get so crowded there when more than one ship is using it.

Blue skies ...

--rita[/QUOTE]

I would be happy if hey just added another BBQ line and Bar. There is enough stretch of beach to find a spot, but the lines and lunch are what I am most worried about. Well, if they are listening, they could add more clemshells and cabanas too, there are always waitlists for them, aren't there!

Just a note that web site that shows when ships will be in port at HMC isn't completely accurate the Eurodam will be in Port on Jan 16 from 8-4 and it isn't on the list. It shows no ships in port for that day....Makes me wonder how much else is missing

We just came back from the Maasdam sailing last week and were at HMC on New Year's Day. Just thought I'd share...

The Princendam was also on the island with us. Each ship had their own tenders. We took one of the first tenders out and had no problem. We booked a cabana (3rd or 4th to last, I think). I was up in the air about it, but very glad we did it as it was really a wonderful experience. A shuttle took us there within minutes of arriving on the island.

It was stocked with sodas and water, fresh fruit, veggies & dip, chips with salsa, guacamole and sour cream. There were "cabana boys" that kept us stocked with fresh ice and checked in on us several times to make sure we were happy.

We did go to the barbeque about 12:15 and found it was very well managed. We didn't have to wait on line at all. There were more than enough picnic tables (in several areas) for everyone, staff keeping things clean, and it really was enjoyable.

I did notice that it was considerably more crowded as you got closer to the beginning of the beach. However, from what I observed, by just walking a bit farther down the beach, it wasn't hard to find a quiet spot and still be within walking distance of bathroom/food/bar services.

Just saw that my thread had be resurrected. Let me put your mind at ease. Yes, it was crowded. Fortunately, our clamshell was quite a ways down the beach. Our DD used the hammock that was located directly behind our clamshell. Where we were located, it was not bad and not more than 10-15 people in the water at a time. There are two roped off areas and we swam in the one farthest away from the tender area. My in-laws said the BBQ was a madhouse. DH and I ate later on and it was busy but not crazy. Interestingly enough, our waiter asked us if they ran out of food. Sounds like it does happen. I was amazed to see how much food some people took, I almost wondered if maybe they had not eaten the whole cruise (both ships were due back in Ft. Lauderdale the next day so it wasn't like it was the first day out).

Bottom line, rent a clamshell, don't go to the BBQ when it first opens or too near the end, and I also recommend either rent a mat to float on or bring your own (I brought one of those blow up ones with a back rest).

My wife and I were there last week on the Noordam along with the Statendam. There was plenty of room on the beach. It was easy to find a chair in the main area. If you sought solitude the beach area is huge. All you need do is walk a little ways.

Lunch was crowded, but manageable.

Archived