Question about using ATM

Our very recent experience, and perhaps it depends on our card,/bank (we have a high daily withdrawal limit) is that we were only able to withdraw the maximum amount that were prelisted on that particular bank's ATM. We found this in France, Croatia, and Italy. We wanted to withdraw the equiv. of $1000. When we selected other amount and input 400, 500, or 600E not one of the banks would give us the money. So, we got stuck with preset maximums that ranged between 250E and 350E. I am going to double check with our bank. We pay everything in cash because the credit card exchange is terrrible and on top of that when we ask for discounts for cash in hotels etc. We often get 5 or 10 points-especially in Italy.

Our very recent experience, and perhaps it depends on our card,/bank (we have a high daily withdrawal limit) is that we were only able to withdraw the maximum amount that were prelisted on that particular bank's ATM. We found this in France, Croatia, and Italy. We wanted to withdraw the equiv. of $1000. When we selected other amount and input 400, 500, or 600E not one of the banks would give us the money. So, we got stuck with preset maximums that ranged between 250E and 350E. I am going to double check with our bank. We pay everything in cash because the credit card exchange is terrrible and on top of that when we ask for discounts for cash in hotels etc. We often get 5 or 10 points-especially in Italy.

Are you saying you ask for and receive cash discounts in hotels in Italy? If so, do you ask on check in? I could use this tip on my upcoming trip!

Are you saying you ask for and receive cash discounts in hotels in Italy? If so, do you ask on check in? I could use this tip on my upcoming trip!

Yes. For my upcoming trip to Rome I'm getting a 10% discount for paying cash. It's usually best to ask the hotel in advance, although sometimes I've heard of people asking as they check in. It's worth a try!

Yes. For my upcoming trip to Rome I'm getting a 10% discount for paying cash. It's usually best to ask the hotel in advance, although sometimes I've heard of people asking as they check in. It's worth a try!

I ask when making the reservation; I ask at check-in; I ask at check-out. I get varying answers.:)

Seriously, I do ask when making the reservation. If I like the answer, I get it confirmed; if not, I say no thanks and ask again at check. If I like the answer, I get it confirmed, if not, I say no thanks and ask again at check-out.

In many places, firms are not barred from charging different prices for cash versus credit cards (the contracts in the U.S. forbid this). Furthermore, in certain places (Italy very much included), not paying taxes is considered a holy obligation, and cash does not produces those evil financial trails.

Yes, we also have run into smaller limits in Europe. However, we each carry an ATM card, and, therefore, can take out double the smaller limit, even though the cards take money from our joint checking account. We had to do this last month at the Frankfurt airport.

Hope this helps!

I ask when making the reservation; I ask at check-in; I ask at check-out. I get varying answers.:)

Seriously, I do ask when making the reservation. If I like the answer, I get it confirmed; if not, I say no thanks and ask again at check. If I like the answer, I get it confirmed, if not, I say no thanks and ask again at check-out.

In many places, firms are not barred from charging different prices for cash versus credit cards (the contracts in the U.S. forbid this). Furthermore, in certain places (Italy very much included), not paying taxes is considered a holy obligation, and cash does not produces those evil financial trails.

Well, we are staying at a small private hotel in Venice, so it may work. I have already reserved but don't pay until I get there so I will definitely ask. May help ease the pain of the HIGH rates! Plus I can try asking at check-in in Barcelona! Thanks for the tip.

Cathy

We usually ask when we check out. Some of the places we stay insist on cash but those that don't will often give you 5-10 percent. A minimum of 5 should be expected because that is their charge from the credit card provider. It is surprising how it adds up because paying cash is a way to avoid those out of line credit card exchange rates. In some parts of the world the merchant will charge you 3-5 percent more if you use a credit card.

Regarding the initial question.... you can get the exchange rate of what $1,000 dollars is in Euros. Right now the dollar is getting stronger and stronger every day so I recommend waiting until you get to Europe and use the ATM at the airport. Currently the rate is 1.32 which is great, so 750 Euros equals 1000 USD. It has been almost 1.60 for months. We live in Germany and I haven't seen the Euro below 1.55 since we have been here (2 years). Great time to come! Make sure you put that money in a money belt and then in your cruise safe. Only take a little out at a time (you probablly already know this), but pocket pickers are a huge problem in Europe. Now they will quietly slash your backpack and try and pull out items. One last tip...make sure DH wears his wallet in his front pocket at all times! If you pay cash for hotel make sure you get a Paid in full Receipt.

Regarding the initial question.... you can get the exchange rate of what $1,000 dollars is in Euros. Right now the dollar is getting stronger and stronger every day so I recommend waiting until you get to Europe and use the ATM at the airport. Currently the rate is 1.32 which is great, so 750 Euros equals 1000 USD. It has been almost 1.60 for months. We live in Germany and I haven't seen the Euro below 1.55 since we have been here (2 years). Great time to come! Make sure you put that money in a money belt and then in your cruise safe. Only take a little out at a time (you probablly already know this), but pocket pickers are a huge problem in Europe. Now they will quietly slash your backpack and try and pull out items. One last tip...make sure DH wears his wallet in his front pocket at all times! If you pay cash for hotel make sure you get a Paid in full Receipt.

Thank you all for all the good tips.Leaving in 3 weeks, cannot wait.

When we received our booking confirmation from our hotel in Venice, they stated that there would be a 10% discount for cash payment. When I checked-in they also asked me how I would be paying and re-confirmed that there would be a cash discount.

Regards

Roy

just another tip. at home i use a word for my ATM code/password and of course i knew that europe ATMs want a 4 digit, so i had a 4 letter word. our ATMs have an alpha numeric keyboard, in europeit is numeric only. i dint know which letters corresponded to the numbers. i guessed i was wrong. thought ti through again, tried again, wrong and NOW i froze my account:eek: of course they thought someone was trying to access my account.

just another tip. at home i use a word for my ATM code/password and of course i knew that europe ATMs want a 4 digit, so i had a 4 letter word. our ATMs have an alpha numeric keyboard, in europeit is numeric only. i dint know which letters corresponded to the numbers. i guessed i was wrong. thought ti through again, tried again, wrong and NOW i froze my account:eek: of course they thought someone was trying to access my account.

Excellent point; you must use numbers, not letters, for European ATM's, so check out a US ATM machine and "translate" you PIN into numbers in your head before you leave.

Archived