Tilley hat - what do you think about them?

Go-Bucks!

My DH has had a Tilly hat for years. We tease him all the time about it too but he loves that stupid hat. A few years ago his hat just basically wore out and Tilly sent him a brand new one. He won't go anywhere without it.

I went to buy one for my DH for his birthday, and walked out of the store with one for myself also! Expensive--and worth it. Make sure the fit is as Tilley recommends--snug just above the eyebrows. I wear mine on sailing boats, and ALWAYS have the 'safety' strap attached around the back...I want to be buried in mine!

I've thought about doing that. I have 2 scarves I got in Paris that would work, but how do you get them to stay on? When I tried it, they seemed to want to slip off - they're made of a silky-like material.

If the scarf is thin enough, I put it through the vent holes. If it's thicker, I slip it behind the "shoestring" that threads out through the hat (this is really the chinstrap and how it attaches to the hat). It has worked very well.

• 1 year later...

I have a Tilley, but I don't like how it looks on me. My husband tends to wear it more than I do. I love the hidden pocket in the crown of the hat. I keep some money in there "just in case". Have worn it horseback riding, and it felt pretty secure because of the strap. I just wish they looked better on me.

I've been considering buying a Tilley hat for a while now, I ordered the catalog they sent me a coupon with it, just wasn't sure if it was worth the $ or not, from the responses here it sounds like it'd be well worth it for me, thanks:D

My husband tried some on yesterday, but they didn't fit him very well--one size was too small and the next larger one too big. Plus, they're pretty summery, and he wanted one he could wear all year 'round--especially after he saw the price.

My husband has a Tilley and wears it all the time. Recently, he was on the roof fixing some shingles and when he was finished, he realized there was tar all over his hat! He was very upset but threw it in the washer anyway. The tar came off and the hat looks like new!

I am not a fan of hats so only wear mine when hiking but I might stash my squishy Columbia hat in my suitcase this time.

My husband tried some on yesterday, but they didn't fit him very well--one size was too small and the next larger one too big. Plus, they're pretty summery, and he wanted one he could wear all year 'round--especially after he saw the price.

I remember when I got mine, each hat seemed to have a life of its own, and its own unique size and shape. In other words, one size 6.5 would just have a different feel from the next size 6.5. So I'd catch myself saying "Well, I like this color, but this other one fits better!" or "This one just doesn't look right."

I have owned my Tilley hat for more than a decade. I had to change the address in the ziplock bag in the pocket, when I moved.

I keep $50 in the bag in the pocket, as well as my address. I hope if I ever lose the hat that the $50 will help it get home to me.

The way I keep from looking too masculine while wearing my Tilley hat is by wearing nice earrings and lipstick. No one has ever called me "sir" while I was wearing the hat.

I wear mine for gardening, hiking, any outdoor activities in the sun. It will actually keep rain off my head, too.

Most stores don't carry the full line. Your husband needs to find the style he likes in the size that fits, then look on the website and order what he wants. I have half a dozen Tilleys...Oldest is at least 15 years old.

Unfortunately, they don't make one in Essie's size...

258755472207_0_ALB.jpg

EM

I just bought a TH8 Tilley. I love it. It is cream with black trim and black band, it does not look manish at all, but still has all the cool Tilley features.

I only use the straps when worried it might blow away. The cheap hats never fit me properly, and I kept replacing them. So in the end I am really saving money, as I won't be buying a new hat every year. :D

I'm not a hat-wearer at all but my husband is. His hat of choice was a Tilley. Last year after he had a melanoma removed from his cheek, his dermatologist recommended that he wear a wide-brimmed hat anytime he's outdoors and strongly suggested a Tilley. Now DH has one in every car so he's never caught without one. They are costly at approx. $75 each but are worth it.

We love Tilley hats and have about 6 of them in the immediate family. They got a lot of use in Texas due to our brilliant sun and generally miserable hot weather.

I saw a nice pink one in Canada and was sorry I didn't buy it.

The Tilley clothing never wears out! At least not for us.

• 2 years later...

Talk about resurrecting a very old thread but I just got my Tilley hat today and I am thrilled! Expensive yes but the fit is quite flattering and the quality is apparent. As a boat owner, Florida resident, cruiser - this hat is an amazing find and worth the expense. I love the hidden pocket and in the months and years to come it will be on each and every cruise. I got the T4 with the wider brim - dh got the T5 with the slightly shorter brim. Any other Tilley hat lovers out there?

My husband has had a previous melanoma on his cheek. After having it removed, his determatologist told him to get a wide-brimmed Tilley had and wear it faithfully every time he's outdoors. They have UV protection. We did him one better and bought one to leave in the trunk of each car. That way, he's never without one. I throw it in the washing machine and it comes out like new every time. They are well worth the investment.

Archived