Balmoral - BL0914 Baltic cruise Sun 16th Aug 2009

cruiser mick

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Mick - one question for when you are back - what currencies to take?

Children are insisting on buying some local goodies to leave on our table for second sitting on British night! So, if you are on our table after us you will then know who we are!

• 4 weeks later...
I hope you have a wonderful time.

Mick - one question for when you are back - what currencies to take?

Children are insisting on buying some local goodies to leave on our table for second sitting on British night! So, if you are on our table after us you will then know who we are!

Hi Kez.

Thank you, yes, we enjoyed our cruise on the Grand, lovely food, the entertainment kept us well awake. Service, although attentative, needed a little more polish in places! We had some excellant weather for the time of year and we enjoyed the private limo tours we arranged to Alhambra and Rome - great value. On top of this the ship was in great shape and we met some really nice people, which is always a bonus.

Back to your question of currency ~ after this last trip we found out that our money doesn't go far. Lunch in Europe was costing us around 30 - 40 euros p.person. The hydrofoil between Naples to Sorrento, last season was 7 euro e.way @ 1.43 euro ex rate, this year 11 euro e.way. With the Pound being on par to the euro nearly, it all suddenly became expensive.:eek:

icon9.gif

We normally budget at £30-40 pp for each port, for incidentals in the local currencies, plus the C.Cards for larger purchases like lunch, hopper buses and entrance fees.

We have 1 stop in Denmark (D.Kroner) 1 in Sweden (S Kroner) and 3 in the euro zone. Russia, well US$ Dollars or maybe euros, if you spend anything at all. Take the excursions they are safer, more reliable and cost affective.

It depends on what you do. The Tivoli is a wonderful place for all ages, but it means a little more currency ~ they accept CC for the entrance fees.

Come back to me if you would like more info, always pleased to help.

We have our table for the second sitting dinner, in the corner of the Spey Restaurant sorted out hopefully.icon12.gif

This thread has been very quiet and I'm sure that the cruise is well booked, so what are they all doing, or shouldn't I ask....!!!icon4.gif

At the moment I'm in 2 minds about taking the wife to Norway, for her birthday on Balmoral. Its certainly the right price - we will have to see.icon6.gif

Stay chatting

Mike :eek:

Hi Mike and everyone!

Great to hear you had a lovely cruise, I think you should take Diane to Norway for her B'day - lucky lady!

We have friends we met on Black Watch Summer 2006 looking at this cruise too, they are holding on for a really good deal I think. If they get it I will be in bad books with hubby, I always jump straight in when it comes to booking.

Never mind at least I know I'm really going! really looking forward to it now.

See ya all soon, Fiona x x x

thanks Mick.

I have a shedload of photos online of balmoral and Norway from 2008 if you'd like to see them. I appreciate you have already been on her and cruised Norway so perhaps won't want too. I can't see anyway on here of contacting people without leaving private links on a thread.

Anyway if you or Fi want to see them let me know.

We have been putting an itinerary together but it all stopped when work became manic and now the sun is out! I must find some time to dedicate to it. We are decided on the St P ship excursions - just waiting for the booking brochure to come.

Hi Mike and everyone!

Great to hear you had a lovely cruise, I think you should take Diane to Norway for her B'day - lucky lady!

We have friends we met on Black Watch Summer 2006 looking at this cruise too, they are holding on for a really good deal I think. If they get it I will be in bad books with hubby, I always jump straight in when it comes to booking.

Never mind at least I know I'm really going! really looking forward to it now.

See ya all soon, Fiona x x x

Nice to hear from you Fiona.

Yes, we have booked on the Balmoral, for the 7 day Classic Norway cruise on 28/6.

I cannot see you being in the bad books, as I am pretty sure the price won't drop too much more, on the Baltic trip. As you say, at least you are onboard. Any idea's, of what you will be doing when your in port. Reading Kez's comments they are starting to organising themselves. We haven't even started to think that far as yet ~ Too much work,on the go at home at present and I cannot get any inspiration.

Speak again soon

Mike

thanks Mick.

I have a shedload of photos online of balmoral and Norway from 2008 if you'd like to see them. I appreciate you have already been on her and cruised Norway so perhaps won't want too. I can't see anyway on here of contacting people without leaving private links on a thread.

Anyway if you or Fi want to see them let me know.

We have been putting an itinerary together but it all stopped when work became manic and now the sun is out! I must find some time to dedicate to it. We are decided on the St P ship excursions - just waiting for the booking brochure to come.

Good to hear from you kez.

Thank you, we would love to view your photo's.

I have booked on the 7 day Norway cruise on 28/6, aboard Balmoral, for Dianne's birthday and we are taking along, my 84 year young mum.

Did you go to Olden, whilst in Norway. If you have been, what excursion did you take? We remember it as a mooring at the end of the Nordfjord, with just a post office/gift shop as you exited the ship and a small village approx 3~4 km down the road!

Looking at the excursions - WOW, they have increased in price. As for Flam and Eidfjord, we have covered most of the excursions that are within our mobility range, have you any idea's of anything to do in these ports.

Glad to hear that you are organising your itinerary, we haven't thought too much about it to-date. I understand that they do a private tour with a concert, at the Hermitage. This could be of interest as we celebrate our Anniversary in St P/burg.

Have you been to Stockholm, as this is our first visit there.

Hope to hear from you soon

Mike

No, we didn't go to Olden. We did Alesund, Tromso, Bergen, Trondheim, Honninsvag, (and down at the Fjords) Geiranger and Eidfjord, then Bergen. All on the photos as well as cruising scenery.

Eidfjord we went for a walk up the road, went in the shop, and then back and into the pool on Highland Deck. I was in desparate need of a relaxing holiday last year (and it's looking similar this year!) so all we wanted to do was to take in the scenery and bimble - lots of excursions were not high on our order of priority. We love taking photos as does our son - so that is mainly what we did.

We are doing child friendly half day excursions in St P. Fountains of Peterhof by Hydrofoil one day and a general half day sightseeing the other day. The costs of the museums will be lost on the children as they would cost us x 4, it's a no brainer. Our Outlaws will no doubt do longer trips and possibly evening ones too.

I have added you as a friend - will I now be able to send you photos link in private?

Run out of edit time above....so full message is....

No, we didn't go to Olden. We did Alesund, Tromso, Bergen, Trondheim, Honninsvag, (and down at the Fjords) Geiranger and Eidfjord, then Bergen. All on the photos as well as cruising scenery.

Eidfjord we went for a walk up the road, went in the shop, and then back and into the pool on Highland Deck. I was in desparate need of a relaxing holiday last year (and it's looking similar this year!) so all we wanted to do was to take in the scenery and bimble - lots of excursions were not high on our order of priority. We love taking photos as does our son - so that is mainly what we did.

We are doing child friendly half day excursions in St P. Fountains of Peterhof by Hydrofoil one day and a general half day sightseeing the other day. The costs of the museums will be lost on the children as they would cost us x 4, it's a no brainer. Our Outlaws will no doubt do longer trips and possibly evening ones too.

Copenhagen - I have a danish friend who will be in C. for two weeks in June - she is going to create a walking itinerary for us. Stockhom - my husband has visted in the RN : we have our eye on things - the trams, the Vasa, the Dungergarten (sp?), the Ice Bar - but no firm itinerary. Tallin - walkabouts, developing where at moment. Helsinki - possibly the zoo, but still not sure. Travelmunde - supposed to be very similar to where we live here in UK so will be walking around so they can compare and contrast and taking children to beach if good weather. Entry to Kiel canal - I have worked out this should be gala night - so we'll stay up late and try and have a (well behaved) party on Outlaws balcony.

I have added you as a friend - will I now be able to send you photos link in private?

Mick

Good Morning, thanks for replying

We do really need to have a look at the excursions. I really don't know what to choose. Marie & Andrew want to do the really expensive one with the concert at the end but its so expensive when we have to pay for 4. I have read a little about some other tours linked to this site - when you click onto ports of call and the Europe, then St Petersburg, Alla, Viktoria, Red October etc. They all deal with Cruise Ship passengers and you can book a 2 day inclusive tour to cover everything and they sort the visa out. It may be the only option for us as it must be cheaper? We have tried this sort of thing in the Caribbean and have always been really pleased, but I'm just not sure. I will have to have a proper look. All of the other places we will have to do on our own, but your help would be very useful! What do you recommend, bearing in mind we are on a budget lol!

Thanks, Fiona x

Hi Fiona.

Looking at the St P/Burg tour information that you posted it, does seem very interesting.

As I understand things, the prices are per tour, so the more persons involved, the more cost affective it becomes. Are my thoughts correct?

If so it maybe worth combining our numbers - what are your thoughts?

Mike

We could certainly look into it, we would be more than willing to group up especially if it makes it more affordable. The more the merrier! If you can make sense of how it works let us know, meanwhile we will try to look further into it. Do you have a preferance as to which company, Alla is mentioned a lot, so is Desrus?? We are easy to please. If you decide to go ahead with the ships excursions after all it won't be a problem. Pleased don't feel obliged! Speak soon, Fiona & Andy x x

hi Mick

I have just tried looking and the price appears to be around US$ 300 per person for two full days, I have asked DenRus for a quote for 6 people, I cannot quite understand the prices! Will have to wait and see what they come up with Fi x

hi Mick

I have just tried looking and the price appears to be around US$ 300 per person for two full days, I have asked DenRus for a quote for 6 people, I cannot quite understand the prices! Will have to wait and see what they come up with Fi x

If the prices are around the $300 (£215) its not much more than doing 2 of the ships tours. Lets get some more info and decide what we want to do, as the days seem very long and I'm not sure of our departure time.

Dianne and I are certainly up for it and we generally fall in with most things and we are both easy to get along with. I've drawn off the Red October sample and their tours cover most things.

Mike

Good Morning Mike

I reckon you could be the best person to do the homework if you don't mind! I really don't know anything about St Petersburg, what we need to do and what we don't. Please feel free to choose what you think is best and we will see if it's affordable. I have just found a site called tourdeforce.travel and they do them too. Of course if you do feel at any time to not bother with the idea it's ok!

Speak soon Fiona

Good Morning Mike

I reckon you could be the best person to do the homework if you don't mind! I really don't know anything about St Petersburg, what we need to do and what we don't. Please feel free to choose what you think is best and we will see if it's affordable. I have just found a site called tourdeforce.travel and they do them too. Of course if you do feel at any time to not bother with the idea it's ok!

Speak soon Fiona

Hi Fiona.

Yes these web sites are a little teadious. I have looked at Denrus,Tourdeforce,Anastasia world, Redoctober and others. The main choice is does one want a private van or a small bus,travelling with other people. The bus looks very good value at $295US + $69US for the shows, total cost $364US and covers most tourist sites. It also includes a river cruise, lunches,still camera permits and most entrance fees. Against an average of $370-400US + extras. All companies give Tourist Visa cover.

The Denrus site has a wealth of information posted on it and is sraightforward to read, but takes time. Both Dianne and I speed read it last night along with some independant reports from other cruise passengers and we would be confident of using them.

As Olsens haven't put out a price list of excursions yet, we checked the values of the tours, in our last tour booklet and the above prices were very good for the 2 days.

Yes we are interested

Check your E mail and if you have any concerns, just follow our instructions.

I hope this helps and thank you Fiona, for your help.

Kindest regards

Mike

I know KEZ100 was looking at the Olsen tours, MAYBE this could be of interest to them.

If you go for a bus and need greater numbers let me know and I can pass any information you glean onto my Outlaws. That would possibly be another two persons. I know they want to do quite a lot in St P.

Having conned you into being my friends I still cannot see how I can get a private message to you both (with a link to my pictures) :(

If you go for a bus and need greater numbers let me know and I can pass any information you glean onto my Outlaws. That would possibly be another two persons. I know they want to do quite a lot in St P.

Having conned you into being my friends I still cannot see how I can get a private message to you both (with a link to my pictures) :(

Hi Kez

Try my e mail mickeycruising@yahoo.co.uk

Mike

Hi Mike

I cannot believe you get to go on so many ships! Have a great weekend.

Thanks for the email, I will give you a ring to discuss the options. I too really need to look at the cheapest possible option otherwise it just won't be affordable with it being x 4.

I have received info from tourdeforce:

US$282 - 2 Day excursion

- Personal English speaking guide

- Air conditioned mini bus (up to 15 people, they make up the numbers)

- Museum fees included

- Snack lunch included

Day 1: City tour, Peter & Paul Fortress & Cathedral, Catherine Palace / Amber Room

Day 2: State Hermitage Museum, St Isaak Cathedral

I don't know if this is any cheaper? As I said I will ring you so we can discuss all the options.

Have a wonderful weekend, I will make the most of this beautiful weather here in Derby!

Fiona x

Hi Mick & Kez

Kez thank you for letting us see your pictures of Norway and the Balmoral. We enjoyed them very much and thought how friendly the Balmoral looked. We liked the ones of the Captain & co in the pool! the weather looked lovely and the sea so calm!

Thanks for Mike for e-mailing them to me, there is something wrong with how my e-mail is set up I can receive them ok but I have to go to a different place to send them, that's why I reply on here!

Hope you have all had a lovely weekend, looking forward to meeting everyone onboard!

Fi & Andy x

Hi Mike

I cannot believe you get to go on so many ships! Have a great weekend.

Thanks for the email, I will give you a ring to discuss the options. I too really need to look at the cheapest possible option otherwise it just won't be affordable with it being x 4.

I have received info from tourdeforce:

US$282 - 2 Day excursion

- Personal English speaking guide

- Air conditioned mini bus (up to 15 people, they make up the numbers)

- Museum fees included

- Snack lunch included

Day 1: City tour, Peter & Paul Fortress & Cathedral, Catherine Palace / Amber Room

Day 2: State Hermitage Museum, St Isaak Cathedral

I don't know if this is any cheaper? As I said I will ring you so we can discuss all the options.

Have a wonderful weekend, I will make the most of this beautiful weather here in Derby!

Fiona x

Hi Fiona.

I do not remember seeing this tour with tourdeforce. Looking at the information that you have sent, it seems that the extras that Denrus offer are the canal cruise taking you past the Battleship Aurora, a traditional Russian lunch in one of the better restaurant in St P, and on day 2 you go to a restaurant specializing in international cuisine, both are 3 course meals with drinks. The other things to check are the photo permits for still cameras and that all entrance and fares are included. the qoute that you have, is around £8.50 less expensive than Denrus and seem to be on a smaller bus. It seems to be a choice of seeing slightly more and bearing in mind the length of the days, and having the meals instead of snack lunches How ever, I have not had a hard qoute from them as yet, I'll try and get an E Mail off to them today.

Mike icon7.gif

Hi Fiona & Andy.

I have been delving through the information again and this is what you get for the US$295.

You have a city and suberb tour with photo stops at Palace Sq, St Isaac's Church, etc.

The following inside visits are included in the price.

1 The Catherine's Palace.

2 The Peterhof Parks and Gardens.

3 The Hermitage & Winter Palace.

4 Peter & Paul Fortress and Cathedral.

5 Visit some of the Metro Underground Stations(the peoples palaces) and take a train ride.

6 A 1 hour Canal and river cruise, passing the Battleship Aurora.

7 The Church Of the Spilled Blood.

8 Attend 2 x 3 course Luncheons at some of the better St P/burg's Restaurants, with drinks included.

9 A choice of 3 evening shows for US$69 p.p Ballet, Opera or Folkloric music & dance show, if required.

All still photo permits and visitors visa's.

English speaking guide. Max group size 30 persons. All are NON SMOKING excursions and no restrictions on how many persons, in ones party.

Hopefully this answers alot of questions regarding the values of these excursions for you.

The differerence being this trip is around £8.50p p.person more expensive, but includes full meals. Which is probably a good thing, as the tours start around 7am - 7.30am and conclude at 5.30pm - a long day. Plus it does visit more sites. I personally think this is a better value trip. I understand your concerns as the total cost of the excursions here for 4 people almost cost

the same, as the price of the cruise for one.

Any way give us a ring and have a chat about the above, and the other ports.

Yes we enjoyed our day on the "Rotterdam", it's really a most elegant ship and they looked after us well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards Mike & Dianne.

Mike & Dianne

Hi Thanks for all that information, we are very tempted and agree it does sound the best value. We are now going to decide if we can afford it and check how much Marie & Andrew really want to do as it is a lot of money. I promise I will ring you very soon, been working late - no time today!

Thanks again

Fiona & Andy

Hi Mike & Dianne

I have just tried to call you twice, both times a very nice lady answered saying I had the wrong number! I checked the e mail to make sure I copied it down correctly and I have, I have also checked the area dialling code and that comes up as Maidstone which sounds right too!

Could you e mail it again please so I can try again. Look forward to hearing from you.

Sorry to all the other readers!

Fiona & Andy x

Hi Fiona & Andy.

I have been delving through the information again and this is what you get for the US$295.

You have a city and suberb tour with photo stops at Palace Sq, St Isaac's Church, etc.

The following inside visits are included in the price.

1 The Catherine's Palace.

2 The Peterhof Parks and Gardens.

3 The Hermitage & Winter Palace.

4 Peter & Paul Fortress and Cathedral.

5 Visit some of the Metro Underground Stations(the peoples palaces) and take a train ride.

6 A 1 hour Canal and river cruise, passing the Battleship Aurora.

7 The Church Of the Spilled Blood.

8 Attend 2 x 3 course Luncheons at some of the better St P/burg's Restaurants, with drinks included.

9 A choice of 3 evening shows for US$69 p.p Ballet, Opera or Folkloric music & dance show, if required.

All still photo permits and visitors visa's.

English speaking guide. Max group size 30 persons. All are NON SMOKING excursions and no restrictions on how many persons, in ones party.

Hopefully this answers alot of questions regarding the values of these excursions for you.

The differerence being this trip is around £8.50p p.person more expensive, but includes full meals. Which is probably a good thing, as the tours start around 7am - 7.30am and conclude at 5.30pm - a long day. Plus it does visit more sites. I personally think this is a better value trip. I understand your concerns as the total cost of the excursions here for 4 people almost cost

the same, as the price of the cruise for one.

Any way give us a ring and have a chat about the above, and the other ports.

Yes we enjoyed our day on the "Rotterdam", it's really a most elegant ship and they looked after us well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards Mike & Dianne.

ST PETERSBURG EXCURSIONS

Hi Kez.

If any of your party are interested the above excursion. The cost is US$295 p.p for the 2 days, an evening show is US$69. There is no minimum numbers, as the company make up the tour with other people. It seems to cover most things of interest, including lunches. The web site is www.denrus.ru/valueexcursion.html

E Mail denrus@denrus.ru

Hope this helps Mike

Archived