Balmoral - BL0914 Baltic cruise Sun 16th Aug 2009

cruiser mick

Assuming reasonable weather, we will walk to Tivoli via some other places of interest but we won't actually go in anywhere else (except perhaps the round tower for the view which isn't very expensive anyway) and then we will spend quite a while in Tivoli and get the bus back. We won't be getting the cards.

Hi guys,

My first post!

Just wanted to say that myself, my girlfriend, her two sisters and mum will be on this cruise next month. It's going to be my very first cruise so looking forward to experiencing it. The others have been on quite a few though so have been filling me in on what to expect. :)

Age wise, I'm 34, my girlfriend is 27 - her sisters are 29 and 18 and mum is late 50's.

Thanks for what's been posted so far in this thread. It was useful yesterday when we popped up to visit my girlfriends mum to sort out the excursions booking and other info. We didn't realise that St Petersburg was so restrictive and that the boat would be docked so far away.

We are just going to do the panoramic tour and the shopping day so we can get to see as much of the city as possible without too high a cost.

Hi Slingshot, welcome along!

We have managed to buy a very sensibly priced upgrade this morning from an inside on Atlantic to a restricted view outside cabin on Lido. It's close to our outlaws, which is why it was attractive for us. It's supposed to be a superior outside but, I think, the only thing that makes it superior is it's closer to the bars!

Done them a favour, I reckon. They now have a very attractive sited four berth inside to resell in the school summer holidays!

Hi Slingshot, welcome along!

We have managed to buy a very sensibly priced upgrade this morning from an inside on Atlantic to a restricted view outside cabin on Lido. It's close to our outlaws, which is why it was attractive for us. It's supposed to be a superior outside but, I think, the only thing that makes it superior is it's closer to the bars!

LOL, I like your thinking! How much did you pay for the upgrade and how did you go about sorting it out? We are on deck 4 in one of the middle cabins but I'd really love an outside one with a view. I have actually put in the 'Special Request' box to get an upgrade to a cabin with a balcony.. ;) Gotta try it on..lol.

Although I have also asked if I can DJ one night in the disco.. :D

I think all the balconies have gone! I say that because my outlaws have a suite and they only booked that because there were no ordinary balcony cabins left and that was months ago. There may be some suites available!

You have to ask your agent what the extra cost would be. I rang FO first but they said as I had an agent I had to do it through them. The agent then gets you the price.

The disco is a very low key affair! Usually lucky to still be open at midnight! Mind you, last year, the teens gathered there and kept it alive best they could. They were a lovely bunch, seemed to get on really well.

We were on deck 4 (but outside) last year. We were perfectly happy with our cabin. I'd not pay the extra to be higher normally but it's right opposite the rest of the family and I'm sure the Grandparents will relish having their Grandchildren so close. LOL!

I think all the balconies have gone! I say that because my outlaws have a suite and they only booked that because there were no ordinary balcony cabins left and that was months ago. There may be some suites available!

You have to ask your agent what the extra cost would be. I rang FO first but they said as I had an agent I had to do it through them. The agent then gets you the price.

The disco is a very low key affair! Usually lucky to still be open at midnight! Mind you, last year, the teens gathered there and kept it alive best they could. They were a lovely bunch, seemed to get on really well.

We were on deck 4 (but outside) last year. We were perfectly happy with our cabin. I'd not pay the extra to be higher normally but it's right opposite the rest of the family and I'm sure the Grandparents will relish having their Grandchildren so close. LOL!

Heh heh.. I'm sure they will. :) Does sound nice though for you all to be close.. Of course the close bar proximity is a bonus..

I was expecting the 'disco' to be somewhat low key to be honest. Hopefully we can get them to keep it going a bit.. I am tempting to ask if I can plug my ipod in and bring the music up to date somewhat.. Not sure if they will indulge me though.. :)

I've always been quite the clubber so love dancing into the early hours. Of course I never thought the cruise disco would be anything like that, but as long as we can dance I'll be happy..

We didn't realise that St Petersburg was so restrictive and that the boat would be docked so far away.

We are just going to do the panoramic tour and the shopping day so we can get to see as much of the city as possible without too high a cost.

A new cruise terminal opened in St Petersburg earlier this year and is more central than the commercial port . I'm hoping we'll be using that - as far as I can see we are the only cruise ship in StP for those 2 days.

Having to start thinking about packing now. The FO booklet says that Informal for men is jacket and/or tie. Does this mean that either a jacket with an open necked shirt or a shirt with tie( but no jacket) would be OK or would you expect most men to be wearing a jacket and tie on informal nights ?

It does mean what it says but I can't remember what most did. I do remember that my husband liked to have the jacket as well, at least to start the evening, but he usually left it in the cabin for the show.

It does mean what it says but I can't remember what most did. I do remember that my husband liked to have the jacket as well, at least to start the evening, but he usually left it in the cabin for the show.

From what I've read I get the impression that the dress code is mainly important for the actual meal part? I intend to dress up and make the effort for dinner but then change afterwards into fashion jeans, shirt and maybe a cool sports jacket for later stuff.

I also read that DJ's aren't essential even for formal night as a dark suit would also be acceptable? I think I should be taking a DJ though - just got to try my Dad's on.. :)

Hi to you all and welcome to SlingShotUK and RayF, great to hear from you both.

I have just returned home and read the postings regarding dress options in the restaurants, for the Gentlemen. I can tell you that Olsens do enforce the rules, as we witnessed several times on our last cruise.

These are the options

SMART CASUAL DRESS - Shirt, long trousers socks and shoes/no T shirts or flip flops.

INFORMAL DRESS - The options are that you can wear either a Collar and Tie or Jacket, or preferably both.

FORMAL DRESS - Either an Evening Suit, DJ/Tuxedo and Bow Tie or Lounge Suit and normal tie.

We have just received our charge from TourDeForce for the 2 day excursions in St Petersburg, the exchange rate was rather favourable and the cost was GBP£174 for the 2 days including lunches and everything. They have now offered us an evening Canal cruise for US$40, we are thinking about it, but it will make a very long day.

Talking of water cruises, we noticed that Olsen's were offering a sightseeing tour of Copenhagen by the cities waterways. Its a different way of seeing the city and the cost is only GBP£33.

Time is certainly starting to tick by rather rapidly and we, unlike yourselves, are not very organised on what shore things we will be doing, so I can see it being one of those weeks ahead - with Dianne doing all the reading and telling me what we will be doing.........!!!!!!!!!! That is while I thumb through all the new brochures that arrived this week and make the decission on where our next cruise will take us.......!!!!!!!!

Dianne mentioned that we have a different Captain on this trip, so sorry Kerry that I misled you.

SlingShot, as this is your first cruise, I'm sure that you are going to have a Ball on-board, with your young lady & family and may this be the first of many for you.

Well done with the upgrade Kerry,we are so pleased that it has worked out so well for you and yours.

Looking at the number of intrepid cruisers we have on this thread, would it be worth having a "meet and greet" get together on-board the first day, possibly at the Dover sailaway or sometime depending of course, on what time you all arrive and get yourselves sorted out. Any thoughts, any one?

Mike

Be delighted on an informal sailaway meet.

I say informal so we don't feel bad if we don't make it. There are a few things that may delay us, one being the childrens first get together which they won't want to miss and the timing will be in our cabin so we won't know it until we get there. Also, last time, the drill was very close to sailing. We did make the sailaway but only just!

Right, back to work. I have two massive audits to finish and if I don't I won't even be on board and we can't have that!

Thank you Mick and everyone.

It sounds as if jacket AND tie is the norm for informal. That's not a problem, I just wanted to check. Dressing up is all part of the cruise experience for us, we don't get many chances to put our "glad rags" on in our day-to-day lives.

We've booked some excursions for StP and are looking at options for the other ports, although I think we'll probably do these independently.

I've just noticed on the on-line booking info that we have been allocated the Avon restaurant, although we specifically request it. Have to wait and see, although we're not too bothered as our cabin is on the same deck as the main restaurant.

A "meet-up" sounds a good idea, I've already introduced myself to Fiona in Lakeland :) .

Hey there Mick,

Thanks for the warm welcome - much appreciated. I'm certainly looking forward to the experience even though I'm not quite sure what it will be like and how the evenings will differ to our usual night life orientated holidays / breaks. :)

I think being out at sea will be quite an experience. Just wish we could have got a cabin with a balcony - I imagine that is a superb feeling.. Especially enjoying a drink before dinner.

Keep us posted on a potential meetup and then like Kez says we can look at making it if everything goes to plan.. :)

Do you know if you are on early or late dining sitting, SS? You may not know yet if you have booked on a late deal. It makes a bit of a difference. On a summer holiday cruise I would think most children will be on the early sitting although how many there will be waits to be seen.

Early evening there are the bars - last year the Lido had Jazz and the Obs a girl singing and playing the piano. It isn't cut throat modern stuff but both acts were of good quality, so if your music appreciation crosses the genres, you should enjoy it with a pre-dinner drink. Not sure what was on in the Morning Light Pub, we didn't tend to go there.

On the first and last formal night there is a cocktail party hosted by the Captain. A free drink (or two) and canapes and a witty talk by the Captain. Just go with it, dress up and you'll have a great time (even if it's not something you would do usually)

Then the meal makes you feel you have finally grown up! Even if a formal meal with good food and wine, service and conversation wouldn't be your first choice, it's a great experience to have had (and one big reason we are looking forward to going back).

Then you have a choice of entertainment - the main show which will be ship entertainers some nights and guest acts other nights. For guest acts we had a brilliant magician and comedian and an awful (in our book) lady singer. On nights you didn't want to see the main show there was another act of some sort in the Lido lounge or Morning Light, or the piano music in the Observatory. Some of these acts are on twice to cover the second dinner sitting.

Don't under estimate walking the promenade when at sea on a calm, balmy night. It's an incredible feeling - just you and miles of sea.....

The Observatory was where the 'disco' took place (allegedly). I am usually asleep by then as I get up early to hit the ports and I getting old now; so don't go stamping your feet in the coridoors of deck 9 if you're bored!

There are special one off shows - crew show one night and we had a passenger talent on another.

Not night time but.....

As a youngster you may like gyms.The best room in the Balmoral houses the gym with an incredible view over the sea. A lot of the younger entertainment staff used the gym and we met some younger people that way. The launderette is also very social! (I've often said they need a bar down there!)

Just go with the flow. Have a ball. (and don't tell your mates ;)

Thank you Mick and everyone.

It sounds as if jacket AND tie is the norm for informal. That's not a problem, I just wanted to check. Dressing up is all part of the cruise experience for us, we don't get many chances to put our "glad rags" on in our day-to-day lives.

We've booked some excursions for StP and are looking at options for the other ports, although I think we'll probably do these independently.

I've just noticed on the on-line booking info that we have been allocated the Avon restaurant, although we specifically request it. Have to wait and see, although we're not too bothered as our cabin is on the same deck as the main restaurant.

A "meet-up" sounds a good idea, I've already introduced myself to Fiona in Lakeland :) .

We have requested the Avon restaurant, Table 322 on 2nd sitting, hopefully this is still the case.

Mike

As everyone seems to think thet a get together is a good idea, I take on board Ketz's pm. comments about L/boat drill, ours was due for 4pm, got put back to 4.15 and happened at 4.35. Which is tight for returning life jackets to ones cabin and meeting at the sailaway. As the first night is a casual affair, has any one a suggestion, to a time and venue to suit both dining times.

The Morning Light Pub has been altered around slightly in the last 12 months, you no longer have to walk across in front of the entertainer. There was a guy playing a keyboard who had a lovely voice and it was a pleasure listening to him.

They have also taken away the lovely caged peacock, by the theatre exit and some of the more expensive sketches have disappeared that hung in the Art Gallery.

Loved the Cake shop Ketz, thank goodness at times like this, that I am a Diabetic!

Is Fiona still out there, we have missed you Fi....!!!

Awaiting your replies

Mike

Hey there Kez,

Awesome overview! Thank you. That does give me some idea on what to expect and some of the things I'll look out for.

I do like a bit of Jazz - especially swing or the crooner stuff. Be great to hear some of that live with a few drinks.

Ah the famous captains party. I keep hearing this mentioned by my girlfriend and her mum. Sounds like a very formal affair and a unique one at that. I like the sound of free drinks. ;) I can imagine it probably feels quite good being all dressed up and schmoozing with the captain. heh.

Ooh I'm not sure about feeling grown up .. Do I have to. ;) Trying to delay that for as long as possible. I do like big visual experiences so I can imagine having a quality meal in a large and grand restaurant is quite a feeling. Definitely one to try.

I imagine the entertainment can be a little hit or miss depending on the act's but we'll certainly be checking out what is on. Certainly going to go to the disco although we're aren't expecting anything to exciting.. ;)

Ah the walk on the promenade idea sounds wonderful. Again, that is something I really like the sound of as it must be a really big experience. The feeling of motion, the sounds, the look of the water under the night sky.. Superb. Defo be going to the front or the back of the ship at night and taking it all in.

I'm in two minds about the gym. I work out regularly but I kind of feel that holiday is a time to take a well earned break from it. I know my girlfriends sister is going to use it daily though - but she is quite an exercise addict heh.

Saying that though it might be cool to use if there isn't anything on that day that takes our fancy. I assume they don't have a punchbag that you know of (probably asking abit much.. ;) ).

Also, do they have deck tennis etc? Looking forward to doing something like that in the day if the weather is nice.

LMAO about the laundry. Isn't it brilliant how places that you wouldn't expect to be super social are. You know the bar idea isn't that crazy. When we went to Miami in 2006 there is a bar called 'The Laundry Bar' which has a working laundry is the back area.. Awesome.. ;)

Thanks again for your advice.

We are having dinner at 20:30 I believe.

Do you know if you are on early or late dining sitting, SS? You may not know yet if you have booked on a late deal. It makes a bit of a difference. On a summer holiday cruise I would think most children will be on the early sitting although how many there will be waits to be seen.

Early evening there are the bars - last year the Lido had Jazz and the Obs a girl singing and playing the piano. It isn't cut throat modern stuff but both acts were of good quality, so if your music appreciation crosses the genres, you should enjoy it with a pre-dinner drink. Not sure what was on in the Morning Light Pub, we didn't tend to go there.

On the first and last formal night there is a cocktail party hosted by the Captain. A free drink (or two) and canapes and a witty talk by the Captain. Just go with it, dress up and you'll have a great time (even if it's not something you would do usually)

Then the meal makes you feel you have finally grown up! Even if a formal meal with good food and wine, service and conversation wouldn't be your first choice, it's a great experience to have had (and one big reason we are looking forward to going back).

Then you have a choice of entertainment - the main show which will be ship entertainers some nights and guest acts other nights. For guest acts we had a brilliant magician and comedian and an awful (in our book) lady singer. On nights you didn't want to see the main show there was another act of some sort in the Lido lounge or Morning Light, or the piano music in the Observatory. Some of these acts are on twice to cover the second dinner sitting.

Don't under estimate walking the promenade when at sea on a calm, balmy night. It's an incredible feeling - just you and miles of sea.....

The Observatory was where the 'disco' took place (allegedly). I am usually asleep by then as I get up early to hit the ports and I getting old now; so don't go stamping your feet in the coridoors of deck 9 if you're bored!

There are special one off shows - crew show one night and we had a passenger talent on another.

Not night time but.....

As a youngster you may like gyms.The best room in the Balmoral houses the gym with an incredible view over the sea. A lot of the younger entertainment staff used the gym and we met some younger people that way. The launderette is also very social! (I've often said they need a bar down there!)

Just go with the flow. Have a ball. (and don't tell your mates ;)

Mick, you are probably closest to our gratuity expert.

Do you know why the wine waiters don't get an 'advised' gratuity on FO? There isn't any additional service charge so do they get any commission built into sales or any cut of the head waiters gratuity (do you know)?

Hi Kez.

As I'm Tee Total, I only use the wine waiter about 4 times a cruise and I have never tipped one in the past. I understand that they may draw a small commission on sales. Providing I get the service, I give the suggested graturities to the waiter and cabin maid. I also show a little appreciation to the Captain waiter as he normally does a great job organising my diets.

I have seen passengers tip the wine waiter with either a £5 or £10 note, its up to ones personal choice.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks Mick. We did £10 last time plus 3x recommended for the waiter and cabin (covering children at 0.5 each) - no one would advise us on children, so we did what we thought and gave their other 1x to the childrens staff.

3 weeks today folks!

Our tours are now booked, we are going on the "Historic Stockholm and Sigtuna" excursion and the "City and Harbour" tour in Copenhagen. We have also added an early evening program in St P/burg, "See the city from the waterside" - a canal and river cruise. So now I can sit down with the brochures and plan for our next adventure.

When speaking with Fiona, she thought that we had a day time, transit of the Kiel Canal. Unfortunately this is not the case, as we start the transit at 1.30am and complete it at 10.30am. Which is a great shame, as its a lovely day sailing through the German countryside.

Yes, its under 3 weeks now and my diary is filling up rapidly and it doesn't look like I am going to have much spare time until we depart. So fingers crossed that it is a nice day tomorrow so that my pal and I can have a day at the coast.

I received a posting from CC today, from the cruise that we did last September, it has had 2024 postings on it - that must be some kind of record - and it is still going strong today.

Don't forget to have some thoughts about a time and place, that will suit all, for a meet up on embarkation day. Maybe, some time after sailing in a bar somewhere that is easy to find.

Mike

Hi Mike,

That evening excursion to see the city from the water sounds lovely. I think we totally missed that when looking through the brochure. We are just doing the sightseeing one and then the shopping one the following day.

Mick, is the Kiel transit likely to be the Gala buffet night?

Our daughter thought so and had plans of dragging us to the buffet (we were too tired last year and she was very annoyed with us!) and then, after demolishing some of it, she intends to watch our entry into the canal (assuming there is some sort of artificial light at that point.)

Archived