Balmoral - BL0914 Baltic cruise Sun 16th Aug 2009

cruiser mick

We sent off the booking and payment forms yesterday, for the 2 day excursions with Denrus Ltd in St P. So it is fingers crossed that they are operating on those days and they have spaces available. The cost if anyone else is interested, is US$295 per person, for the 2 days including lunches, still camera permit, visitors visa and entrance fees.

The only real problem that we had on Balmoral, was the drinking water from the cabin tap, very odd smells at times. We did report it and things improoved, but we stuck to the bottled water for the tea and coffee. On the last night we received a message that they were going to shut down all water supplies and do a full pipe cleanse that night, so hopefully it will have improoved by August.

Mike

We sent off the booking and payment forms yesterday, for the 2 day excursions with Denrus Ltd in St P. So it is fingers crossed that they are operating on those days and they have spaces available. The cost if anyone else is interested, is US$295 per person, for the 2 days including lunches, still camera permit, visitors visa and entrance fees.

The only real problem that we had on Balmoral, was the drinking water from the cabin tap, very odd smells at times. We did report it and things improoved, but we stuck to the bottled water for the tea and coffee. On the last night we received a message that they were going to shut down all water supplies and do a full pipe cleanse that night, so hopefully it will have improoved by August.

Mike

A POST SCRIPT TO THE ABOVE

icon8.gif

We have just heard back from Denrus, cancelling our tour order as they do not operate the complete tour for Olsen ship passengers, only private custom tours are available. So it's back to the drawing board again.

Oh dear that's bad news Mike, sorry to hear that. Hope you get something sorted, what about Alla Tours, Red October etc?

Glad to hear you had a good time on the Fjords cruise, don't like the sound of the tap water but fingers crossed all will be well as you said.

See you soon!!:)

Hi All.

We managed to get booked with www.TourDeForce.travel for the St Petersburg trips for US$562 for the 2 of us. They collect us at 9.30 and will wait up until 10.00.

They answered all of our questions OK and the booking was pretty straight forward.

So we are a little happier now that we have found organised excursions for the duration of our stay.:)

Talk soon

Mike and Dianne.

Well done Mike & Dianne, they had looked good to me when I was considering it myself. Wish we could do it too but never mind we will book a little FO excursion soon hopefully. I am really pleased you have got that sorted anyway!

I am excited isn't time flying! Fi x :eek:

Pleased it's all worked out this time, Mick!

We are waiting for the booking office to open - mind you, not too worried as I could do with being paid again before I book any : daughter is presently in Paris spending my last months wagepacket!

Got to sort the £$€ etc etc soon. How much of each.

Hi Kez.

We normally look at the ports and think what should our spend be. This year we work on about £35 - £50 per port, per person.

Probably the Highest spending ports will be Copenhagen, Stockholm and Tallinn, as all have markets and good shopping. Also they have hop on & off tour buses. So you will need Danish Kroner, Swedish Kroner and Euros. As for Helsinki, we have never spent much money there, unless you wish to do a tour.

As for St P/burg you should need very little money if any. If your on tours, maybe a few US$ or Euros and in Travemunde a few euros for coffee or snacks,etc, unless you go through to Lubeck for the day. You can always use visa or mastercard for more expensive payments. If you have both brands of cards, take both. As the Scandanavian systems can be tempremental at times. AMEX was a definite NO NO, last time we were here.

Hope this helps and you don't think that I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs....!!

Going away to the coast for a week, this Saturday - weather providing!!!

So we will talk again soon

Mike and Dianne

Well done Mike & Dianne, they had looked good to me when I was considering it myself. Wish we could do it too but never mind we will book a little FO excursion soon hopefully. I am really pleased you have got that sorted anyway!

I am excited isn't time flying! Fi x :eek:

Yes, time is passing by rapidly , especially when I had to spend 2 days in bed last week and feeling very stiff and sore for the rest of it. I woke up to the phone ringing, I had been asleep with my ankles crossed and when I got up my ankle turned under itself and I went flying across the carpet. So I ended up with carpet burns even thrugh my trousers, along with some nasty twists, pulled bits and bruising. Then I had to go to the dentist for an extraction, so Dianne had to drive me. I came out of the surgery and hit my head on the car. So last week wasn't a good one for me!

Check the cost of the Olsen tours, as i think this company may do a single day for around US$140 per person.

Now don't you get too excited, it doesn't do much for the blood pressure.

Regards

Mike

Mick it sounds like you are a liability!

Only joking, thank goodness you have Dianne to look after you!

I will look into the 1 day trip, like the sound of a colourful Cossack show too, we love all that crazy dancing!

On holiday again! Have a relaxing time and take it easy Fi x

Mick it sounds like you are a liability!

Only joking, thank goodness you have Dianne to look after you!

I will look into the 1 day trip, like the sound of a colourful Cossack show too, we love all that crazy dancing!

On holiday again! Have a relaxing time and take it easy Fi x

Hi Fiona

Hi Fiona.

Bear in mind that Olsen's, normally bring a Folkoric show on-board ship, when we are in port overnite.Have you researched any of the other ports that you were interested in.

I noticed that in Copenhagen, one could buy family tickets for entry to the places of interest and public transport. Also I think that the Tivoli was included in the package. Check on the Copenhagen web site for the details.

Another holiday, not really. I have appointments at the dentist to have a tooth added to my denture. Then the lawns have to be cut, the windows and plastic have to be washed. That is when the beach walking starts and the garden chair comes out. Unfortunately I have to return early, as I have a Luncheon to attend on Thursday.

Retirement isn't all, what its made out to be, you know.....!!!!:rolleyes:

Will speak soon

Mike

Hi everyone.

We have been looking at things to do in Stockholm and have come up with some interesting web sites, which are as follows:

www.visit-stockholm.com /activities-stockholm/sightseeing-stockholm.

This site gives several options like Open top bus tour, hop on-hop off bus and boat. Some of which are quite inexpensive and can be booked from here and priced in sterling. Also they do a A La Carte Card which covers the cost of most of these things.

www.partner.viator.com /popups/mapShow.jspa?id

Map of the route of the hop on-off bus tour

www.city-discovery.com

Prices of hop on off bus £17.86p pp 1hr 15m roundtrip valid 24hrs

,, ,, ,, ,, ,, boat £8.12p pp 1 hr

+ they operate a bus and boat tour

www.beta.stockholmtown.com

General information

We hope that you find something of interest, to do amongst all this information.

Dianne and Mike.

Hi everyone.

We have been looking at things to do in Stockholm and have come up with some interesting web sites, which are as follows:

www.visit-stockholm.com /activities-stockholm/sightseeing-stockholm.

This site gives several options like Open top bus tour, hop on-hop off bus and boat. Some of which are quite inexpensive and can be booked from here and priced in sterling. Also they do a A La Carte Card which covers the cost of most of these things.

www.partner.viator.com /popups/mapShow.jspa?id

Map of the route of the hop on-off bus tour

You may get transfered on this site address

www.city-discovery.com

Prices of hop on off bus £17.86p pp 1hr 15m roundtrip valid 24hrs

,, ,, ,, ,, ,, boat £8.12p pp 1 hr round trip

+ one of them operates a bus and boat tour

General information and prices to compare with ships tours etc.

We hope that you find something of interest, to do amongst all this information.:cool:

Dianne and Mike.

Very expensive and I'd probably go right through the roof but I thought this looked really cool!...........

https://secure.shoretrips.com/common/search4.asp?rcode=bal&lcode=SLM&tcode=036159

Also, we all really enjoyed the ice bar in Honningsvag - may pop into the one in Stockholm.

Helsinki we had been thinking of the zoo as I had been told there was a snow leopard there - looking at the website it doesn't look very big though.

Very expensive and I'd probably go right through the roof but I thought this looked really cool!...........

https://secure.shoretrips.com/common/search4.asp?rcode=bal&lcode=SLM&tcode=036159

Also, we all really enjoyed the ice bar in Honningsvag - may pop into the one in Stockholm.

Helsinki we had been thinking of the zoo as I had been told there was a snow leopard there - looking at the website it doesn't look very big though.

Hi Kez

Just opened up the shore trip sites, I don't think I'm up to walking the rooftops, especially at those prices - I don't even go up on my own roof these days. There does seem to be many things to visit in Stockholm, on the less expensive scale.

I received the tour book from Olsens this morning, I only had a glance at it, but the prices seem reasonable.

Mike

Hi Kez

Just opened up the shore trip sites, I don't think I'm up to walking the rooftops, especially at those prices - I don't even go up on my own roof these days. There does seem to be many things to visit in Stockholm, on the less expensive scale.

I received the tour book from Olsens this morning, I only had a glance at it, but the prices seem reasonable.

Mike

I've just seen the bit about fear of heights - think we'll give this a miss.

We received our tickets this morning but not the tour book yet.

There will be 3 formal nights, a British night and a Western night.

The rooftops was recommended with tongue firmly in cheek! You won't get me anywhere near either - I get far too wobbly at heights.

We've had our tour booklets. Strange that we are cheaper due to oceans club, son cheaper I presume due to child price but thirteen year old daughter is more expensive than all of us at full price! Not that it will make a huge difference on the two trips we are likely to take, just looks really odd!

Looking forward to getting the tickets - seems even more real then. We were told british and western night last year - took proper cowboy hats and attire and it turned out to be a tropical night! I wanted to go as a tropical cowboy on principle but the children wouldn't let me so we dressed in casual and just used the free accessories and drank a few cocktails to theme ourselves!

We bought our son's formal attire last night (as his sister is away and it's a lot easier one at a time!). I doubt we will make the third formal night as it is very likely to be a port day by looks of the itinerary and we find it almost impossible to do a port properly and then have enough time to undertake all the pomp and circumstance for formal dress on an early sitting. Hopefully it willbe Thai or Indian night in the Palms - love those nights!

We have planned Copenhagen (thanks to my Danish friend) and Stockholm. The Copenhagen card seems to include Tivoli but only entrance - which is the cheaper bit. The Tivoli rides you then pay for either buy individual tickets (and rides use 1-4 tickets each) or you can buy a multi ride pass. The rides don't seem to be included in the Copenhagen card - if anyone knows any different, let me know.

For St P. we have gone for two 3/4 hour trips. Outlaws have decided to go for three ship tours as well.

Hi Kez,

We are also thinking of Tivoli in Copenhagen - do you think the Copenhagen card is worth getting ? It's 225DKK( £27) and admission to Tivoli is 85 DKK (£10). I don't see that it's worth it unless you're doing other things.

( I don't think the card includes rides)

Archived