Passport copies????

2iowacruisers

I have read where it is suggested to make copies of your passports to take off the ship rather than the original passport. Do you just make a copy of the main page in the passport? I would think that you need the seal in order for it to be valid. We are leaving in two weeks on our first cruise so we want to make sure we have everything in order! :D Can anyone shed any light on this for us? Thanks!

I have read where it is suggested to make copies of your passports to take off the ship rather than the original passport. Do you just make a copy of the main page in the passport? I would think that you need the seal in order for it to be valid. We are leaving in two weeks on our first cruise so we want to make sure we have everything in order! :D Can anyone shed any light on this for us? Thanks!

My DH and I always make copies of our Passports to leave behind at our house and with our emergency contact (usually our parents). We also put one copy in each piece of luggage for extra identifiers. Once on board the ship we lock up our passports until the end of the cruise. When we go into port we only take our sail and sign card and have never had a problem.

You didn't mention your itinerary... but if you're headed to the Caribbean/Mexico then you won't have any problems leaving it locked away. Europe might be another question entirely... but I've never been there.

Enjoy your cruise!

My DH and I always make copies of our Passports to leave behind at our house and with our emergency contact (usually our parents). We also put one copy in each piece of luggage for extra identifiers. Once on board the ship we lock up our passports until the end of the cruise. When we go into port we only take our sail and sign card and have never had a problem.

You didn't mention your itinerary... but if you're headed to the Caribbean/Mexico then you won't have any problems leaving it locked away. Europe might be another question entirely... but I've never been there.

Enjoy your cruise!

We will be stopping at Grand Cayman (hopefully) and Cozumel. So, you don't need a copy of the passport to get on or off the ship? It will be nice to only take the S&S cards if that is the case.

We will be stopping at Grand Cayman (hopefully) and Cozumel. So, you don't need a copy of the passport to get on or off the ship? It will be nice to only take the S&S cards if that is the case.

You should be good to go with just your ship card (S&S) and your driver's license. Most of the port security personell for your itin will want to see your ship card and a photo id to get back into the terminal area.

Passport copies are really only good for knowing your passport number if the original is lost and you need a replacement. They are not legal ID and won't get you on a plane or be accepted as ID when you really need it. They do make many folks feel better about having something to carry around, but their usefulness is very limited.

Passport copies .... They are not legal ID and won't get you on a plane or be accepted as ID when you really need it. .

Exactly. Whenever I'm on foreign soil, my passport is with me. A copy will do you no good should a problem arise.

And yes, most MX port guards want to see your ship's card as well as a photo ID.:)

Only need your sign and sail card and a photo ID, like your DL.

When we go into port we only take our sail and sign card and have never had a problem.

Enjoy your cruise!

Both in Jamaica and Cozumel they wanted our sail and sign card AND a photo ID which they did look at very close. Just an FYI

The only reason I can see that a copy of a passport will be useful in port is if the ships sails and you get left behind, you can take the copy to the embassy and have the number so they can help you get on a plane to meet the ship or come back home. If you are concerned about it, take the original passport with you but keep it VERY secure.

You should always have copies made....one to leave at home, one to put in your suitcase and maybe one to carry. This would help you replace your passport if it is lost.

Leave the copy in your cabin and take the passport with you. A copy of a passport won't do you a bit of good ashore if you run into any problems....and it won't get you on a flight home if you miss the ship for any reason.

The passport is the only document that identifies you as a citizen. When needed, they'll not accept a copy but will require the real deal.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'll answer the Europe question. I never took my passport with me, in fact when the ship went to Turkey, we had to surrender our passports at the beginning of the cruise in order to get the Visa and Turkish landing card. They were given back once we left Athens.

I just took a copy with me and my sign and sail.

Someone suggested scanning the first page of your passport and storing the image on your cell phone, since most cell phones have cameras and can store jpegs. Since you will probably take that with you when you go ashore, if you need it, you can retrieve the image from the cell phone and use it to help the local US Embassy or Consulate obtain a new passport of alternative travel documents.

I don't really understand the reluctance on the part of some people, to use the passport for the one reason it exists, to facilitate travel in foreign countries. IMHO, if you leave your original passport in your cabin safe, you may as well leave it at home.

It is true that, in many, if not most cases, especially in the Caribbean, you will never need the original. However, if you ever find yourself in a situation in which you need a passport, ONLY THE ORIGINAL WILL DO. If you miss the ship, a photocopy will not get you on a plane to return home.

Yes, a passport can be lost or stolen in port. But so can a camera, cash, credit card or purse. You take at least some of those things ashore, don't you? You just have to be careful with your passport, just as you are with the other things.

While we are in this period, in which I can return to the US by sea, with only a certified birth certificate, I take both the BC and PP. The BC stays in the safe. The PP goes ashore with me. If I lose the PP, I still have the BC in the cabin safe to return home. If I miss the sailing, the PP and a credit card are all I need to get home.

Paul

I don't really understand the reluctance on the part of some people, to use the passport for the one reason it exists, to facilitate travel in foreign countries. IMHO, if you leave your original passport in your cabin safe, you may as well leave it at home.

Paul

I agree and when I exit the ship my passport is with me, secure but with me as that is why I got it.

Basically, the photocopy might as well be an office memo: You really only need it should the original one is lost, and you need to contact your country's consulate or embassy to get a replacement Passport.

Basically, you're just getting the number, they'll have to issue it.

Other than that, it'll identify your bags... that's about it. It's worth it to keep a copy for that purpose alone.

Someone suggested scanning the first page of your passport and storing the image on your cell phone, since most cell phones have cameras and can store jpegs. Since you will probably take that with you when you go ashore, if you need it, you can retrieve the image from the cell phone and use it to help the local US Embassy or Consulate obtain a new passport of alternative travel documents.

It is true that, in many, if not most cases, especially in the Caribbean, you will never need the original. However, if you ever find yourself in a situation in which you need a passport, ONLY THE ORIGINAL WILL DO. If you miss the ship, a photocopy will not get you on a plane to return home.

Yes, a passport can be lost or stolen in port. But so can a camera, cash, credit card or purse. You take at least some of those things ashore, don't you? You just have to be careful with your passport, just as you are with the other things.

While we are in this period, in which I can return to the US by sea, with only a certified birth certificate, I take both the BC and PP. The BC stays in the safe. The PP goes ashore with me. If I lose the PP, I still have the BC in the cabin safe to return home. If I miss the sailing, the PP and a credit card are all I need to get home.

Paul

Well put. This is one of the most intelligent posts I have ever read. A photocopy will NOT get you on a plane. If, God forbid, you miss the ship and/or have to fly home for any reason, and you don't have a passport with you, you will have to go to a US consulate first, which may be hundreds of miles away. Not worth it.

When we got off the ship on our last cruise at each port each time the officials checked our id's like passports and SS card. Then once we got back on the ship Carnival scanned our SS. So, you may want to take your passport with you once you get off to go ashore because the officials may not take a copy of it.

We always take out passports with us. A copy is not a legal ID. I don't understand why you would be more likely to lose your passport than your driver's license, cash, credit card, etc. You can't use a copy of your credit card and you can't use a copy of your passport. As stated above, if you leave the passport in the safe on the ship you might as well leave it at home.

Archived