Base fare drastically reduced for March sailing

Host Dan

Hi All,

We are sailing the Noordam on March 14, 2009 for 10 days. When we booked in July, the base fare was $4350 per person. Now, after checking the HAL site, the base price is $3014 per person! :eek: Thats over $2600 discount over what our fare was originally based! Has anyone run into this situation? Has HAL re-adjusted the base fare, or do you have to cancel and re-book? :rolleyes: I am not in any penalty phase at this time. :o

Thanks for any comments!

Host Dan

Hi All,

We are sailing the Noordam on March 14, 2009 for 10 days. When we booked in July, the base fare was $4350 per person. Now, after checking the HAL site, the base price is $3014 per person! :eek: Thats over $2600 discount over what our fare was originally based! Has anyone run into this situation? Has HAL re-adjusted the base fare, or do you have to cancel ane re-book? :rolleyes: I am not in any penalty phase at this time. :o

Thanks for any comments!

Host Dan

If you booked direct with HAL, call and they will make the adjustment. It just has to be before final (not like RCCL who will adjust afterwards).

If you booked through an outside TA call them. Some charge a change fee such as $50.00pp. You do not have to cancel and re-book unless it was a "New Bookings only" deal, in which case they force people to cancel.

Hello Host Dan,

I am sailing on the Noordam on March 14, 2009. (Is your sailing date in your post correct?) I, too, have found that the price I was quoted when I made my reservation has dropped. I contacted my travel agent and she was able to get me the lower fare. But, the original booking had to be canceled and a new booking made. I was still able to obtain the same stateroom that I had booked and my requested dining arrangements were still available.

Hello Host Dan,

I am sailing on the Noordam on March 14, 2009. (Is your sailing date in your post correct?) I, too, have found that the price I was quoted when I made my reservation has dropped. I contacted my travel agent and she was able to get me the lower fare. But, the original booking had to be canceled and a new booking made. I was still able to obtain the same stateroom that I had booked and my requested dining arrangements were still available.

The reason I even went to the HAL site was because of your post on the roll call thread.. Thank you for the "heads up"

Now we have conflicting comments. Jade13 thinks re-booking isn't necessary, but rkacruiser had to cancel and re-book..

We will see...!

Host Dan

They almost never will adjust the fare but they might give an upgrade.

The lower price you quote probably has the stipulation new bookings only.

You can cancel and rebook and hope you can get the same cabin you want. If your TA charges cancellation fee, you will be charged probably.

If you have confirmed for a particular dining time, you could lose that confirmation.

If you booked shore excursions on line, you may have to rebook them.

HAL will not charge a cancellation fee if you are prior to final payment.

What about insurance? Did you write insurance?

My next cruise fare dropped, I called my TA and no 'problemo' - got an adjusted rate - no request to rebook at all. My TA stated that bookings are way down and while they do normally charge a rebooking fee they will not charge it if the client is rebooking... They still get a commission so shldn't charge a cancellation fee IMO - no cost to them if u rebook..

Sail is right re: dining table preference but even that shld be held for u if u rebook as shld your other bookings. All they shld be changing is the price anyway!

Only problem as Sail stated re: fare drop might be if its for 'new bookings' only but in this 'economic climate' even that is negotiable - worth trying hmmm? Worked for me recently I guess 'cause I had booked directly but I am a rare bird - a 'penny-pinching sharp eyed squawker' .. :)

Hope it works out well for u!!

Have happy cruisin'!

This happened to us a couple of times. We booked months in advance and we received a mailing with a lower price. I called HAL and they adjusted the price accordingly. We did not have to cancel and rebook. Nothing changed except our price. We did not use a TA since we always book directly with HAL.

As far as an upgrade..no upgrade would cover a $2600 price reduction. We are already booked at a SC category. I hope I can work this out, because if I can't, I may just cancel all together... Yes I have insurance, but that is irrelivant. If I have to rebook, it is transferable to the new booking.

Host Dan

the big issue with cancel and rebook is you will loose your dining time.

If someone gave you $2600 to dine at early sitting instead of late, would you take the money? Of course you would! Anyway the new base fare I got was right from the HAL website, and not a "special offer".

Host Dan

This happened to us a couple of times. We booked months in advance and we received a mailing with a lower price. I called HAL and they adjusted the price accordingly. We did not have to cancel and rebook. Nothing changed except our price. We did not use a TA since we always book directly with HAL.

Same thing happened to us yesterday. I checked HAL website for our February cruise and noted that our category of cabin was considerably less than when we booked in May. DH called HAL (we had booked directly with HAL) and our final payment amount due was changed to reflect the lower fare. No need to cancel and rebook. Made our day:D. We are about 10 days until final payment.

The reason I even went to the HAL site was because of your post on the roll call thread.. Thank you for the "heads up"

Now we have conflicting comments. Jade13 thinks re-booking isn't necessary, but rkacruiser had to cancel and re-book..

We will see...!

Host Dan

There is some internal reason that HAL is "rebooking", as rkacruiser states. This isn't a true rebooking as its done internally with HAL giving the same cabin. This actually happened to me this year when I transfered from HAL to an outside TA on one cruise. I forgot about this as I ended up with a new booking number, but the same cabin and confirmed 8:00pm seating which was closed online. The only (small) issue is that my shore excursions automatically got canceled out of the system and I had to rebook and charge to my credit card. In this instance my HAL insurance was intact, but last year this was going to cause me to loose my insurance (until I wrote a letter to HAL to get it straightened out).

One thing everyone needs to be REALLY careful about when a cruise is rebooked. The policies that cover pre-existing conditions make it VERY clear that these are only covered for the first booking. This is to stop people from canceling and re-booking to pick up cruise insurance because they suddenly have a condition. One or two years ago someone posted they knew someone who did this after they had a heart attack. After a medical emergency while on the cruise his insurance claim was denied because he had rebooked and was stuck with over 50K in bills.

Dan, the TA needs to call HAL and they will take care of it internally. I hope they are reading because one of these days someone is going to be "re-booked" by HAL and insurance denied down the road and it might come back to bite HAL because of their internal way of assigning new booking numbers (verses just lowering the cost of the cruise if requested prior to final).

As far as an upgrade..no upgrade would cover a $2600 price reduction. We are already booked at a SC category. I hope I can work this out, because if I can't, I may just cancel all together... Yes I have insurance, but that is irrelivant. If I have to rebook, it is transferable to the new booking.

Host Dan

Dan, which insurance policy did you purchase? You need to be careful here.

Cabins, like airline seats are commodities and the price fluctuates according to supply and demand.

Sometimes it is possible to get price matching and sometimes you need to cancel and rebook, depending upon the rules of the promotion and the experience and pull of the travel agency.

I looked at several TA websites and right now, this minute, there are no suites available for booking. The rate you saw may no longer even be available, given it appears to have achieved the goal.

If you are able to take advantage of the sale price by rebooking, ask if your cabin can be "protected" during the transition, else there is a real risk, that it could be sold out from under you. Good luck and if you think of it, come back and tell us how this worked out.

Dan, which insurance policy did you purchase? You need to be careful here.

Travel Insured International is the Insurance I bought through the TA.

I didn't look at TA website, I went directly to the HAL site and had a choice of suites to book. They are available. (And I suppose alot more will be available 3 months prior to sailing)

Host Dan

Jade13's comments about the pre-existing conditions clause in travel insurance is interesting with regard to this situation and caused me to look at my policy.

For the pre-existing conditions waiver to be effective on the insurance I bought, the insurance must be bought within a certain number of days of making a deposit. My deposit for the first booking is being transfered to the new booking on the day that the new booking was made. Therefore, that requirement has been met.

In reading the Description of Coverage, which I just did, I see no problem. I have fulfilled the requirements that they list for the waiver to be effective.

Hi All,

We are sailing the Noordam on March 14, 2009 for 10 days. When we booked in July, the base fare was $4350 per person. Now, after checking the HAL site, the base price is $3014 per person! :eek: Thats over $2600 discount over what our fare was originally based! Has anyone run into this situation? Has HAL re-adjusted the base fare, or do you have to cancel and re-book? :rolleyes: I am not in any penalty phase at this time. :o

Thanks for any comments!

Host Dan

They may tell you it is for new bookings only... but if you aren't in a penalty phase that is not an issue. Can't hurt to call and ask... let us know what they say... WOW that is a huge drop... hope you get the reduction without any headaches.

Hi All,

Thanks for any comments!

Host Dan

Dan, I don't know of any lines taht will not re-adjust the price this far out.. The exception is "for new bookings only" If this is not a promo or something there really shouldn't be a problem. Even if it requires a new booking you are not in penalty phase. If it is a promo, cancelling and re-booking will not work. Keep us posted. as far as lossing your dining time, which I don't think will happen, I can't imagine dining time would be worth $100s or $1000 to anyone...LOL

Nita

Jade13's comments about the pre-existing conditions clause in travel insurance is interesting with regard to this situation and caused me to look at my policy.

For the pre-existing conditions waiver to be effective on the insurance I bought, the insurance must be bought within a certain number of days of making a deposit. My deposit for the first booking is being transfered to the new booking on the day that the new booking was made. Therefore, that requirement has been met.

In reading the Description of Coverage, which I just did, I see no problem. I have fulfilled the requirements that they list for the waiver to be effective.

Right, that is a transfer but if the the cruise was canceled and rebooked (same cruise) you may have a problem. We have seen it here on the boards. The policies specifically state it has to be the one and only booking. HTH (I have never used them) has it clearly written out and others do too.

I understand this is done to get a better price but the insurance wants to avoid people who are high risk because they rebook to pick up the insurance.

. Keep us posted. as far as lossing your dining time, which I don't think will happen, I can't imagine dining time would be worth $100s or $1000 to anyone...LOL

Nita

LOL.... While YOU cannot imagine it, we can. Our dining at 8 P.M. Traditional Dining is THAT important to us.

We insist upon confirmation of that or we do not book. Everyone has their individual preferences and needs and I am sure you, as a TA, have encountered clients' strong preferences all through your career.

LOL.... While YOU cannot imagine it, we can. Our dining at 8 P.M. Traditional Dining is THAT important to us.

We insist upon confirmation of that or we do not book. Everyone has their individual preferences and needs and I am sure you, as a TA, have encountered clients' strong preferences all through your career.

of course I have, some are a little off the wall, but you are right. That being said, I don't think I have ever had a client that would spend $2000 for late seating. I guess everyone does have their priorities.

Nita

Hi,

After reading these posts I decided to check my fare as well--I am booked single on the March 1 South America cruise on the Amsterdam. I initially booked the cruise on HAL's website and have been periodically checking the fares. Today I was able to book the same category cabin (DD) for $930 less. I called HAL and they were able to re-book me, same cabin, (same dining time), re-use the deposit, for $930 less than I initially was paying. Glad I check these boards often and it pays to keep checking prices on HAL's website!

Guests in category "SA, SB, SC and PS" are promised their dining time of choice.

If you have confirmed Main Upper Traditional at 8 P.M. (for example), you will keep it.

I did not know that choice of dining time was a perk of these categories. We booked our cruise in early June and received AYW. I guess nothing can be done about it at this point.

Kim

Archived