Whats up with these fuel charges!!!!

Hi - From their press release from Mid-October:

For 2009 sailings and 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008, the company will determine on a quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded. Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit, will be provided if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less, at the closing time of the New York Mercantile Exchange, two weeks prior to the beginning of the upcoming calendar quarter. When those conditions are met, an onboard credit will be provided to all guests on sailings that begin during the upcoming calendar quarter.

The dates on which the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel will be measured, and the quarters during which refunds could apply are:

Fuel Price Determination Date Quarter of Possible Fuel Supplement Refunds

December 18, 2008 First quarter 2009

March 18, 2009 Second quarter 2009

June 17, 2009 Third quarter 2009

September 17, 2009 Fourth quarter 2009

December 18, 2009 First quarter 2010

March 18, 2010 Second quarter 2010

June 17, 2010 Third quarter 2010

September 17, 2010 Fourth quarter 2010

I take that to mean that for bookings made after yesterday for anything in 2009, they will continue to charge the surcharge, but may refund it as determined quarterly - for the next quarters cruises. Bookings made after yesterday for cruises in 2010, will not be charged a surcharge.

Let's hope that the oil prices stay below $65 per gallon!

Cheers,

Paula

Here's a Link to the CC News Article. Included in the article is a link to a page that has the price for West Texas Intermediate Crude, on which the supplement refund is based, which is not what you'd find say in Bloomberg's oil commodity page.

Cheers,

Ed

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2908

But if you already have a 2010 reservation you have to cancel that one and re-book it. I have tried to have mine removed for my 2010 reservation but they will NOT do that.

Because it was for bookings after November 10th (yesterday). Our rep said they were flagging reservations of any who did it but don't know if it is true or not.

Because it was for bookings after November 10th (yesterday). Our rep said they were flagging reservations of any who did it but don't know if it is true or not.

Flagging them how?? To indicate that someone cancelled and rebooked to get rid of the fuel surcharge?

Im in the same boat, booked 2010 before the 2010 fuel was removed last Monday.

Flagging them how?? To indicate that someone cancelled and rebooked to get rid of the fuel surcharge?

Im in the same boat, booked 2010 before the 2010 fuel was removed last Monday.

I don't know how they are flagging them but that is what our rep said. How they actually do it I have no idea. Many are in the same predicament with booked cruises for 2010 and they don't want all those people to rebook. Are you sure your base price hasn't gone up?

I don't recall what thread it was on but there were several people that have posted that they have cancelled and re-booked (one person said it took three minutes so I am assuming it was all done within the same phone call). The person I spoke to today who said that I had to cancel and re-book told me that they are also notifying those that are doing so that there is a possibility of a fuel charge being added on again depending on the 2010 price of fuel. Also since he told me that was what I had to do in order to NOT have a fuel surcharge it seems that they don't care if you are doing that but those are the steps that you have to take. It seems like it would be a LOT less paperwork for them to just remove it from your fuel surcharge from the 201 reservation rather than have you cancel, issue you credit, re-book you and then recharge you the deposit.

Here's a Link to the CC News Article. Included in the article is a link to a page that has the price for West Texas Intermediate Crude, on which the supplement refund is based, which is not what you'd find say in Bloomberg's oil commodity page.

Cheers,

Ed

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2908

actually that link and bloombergs page show the same figure $62.41 as a close figure yesterday

I don't recall what thread it was on but there were several people that have posted that they have cancelled and re-booked (one person said it took three minutes so I am assuming it was all done within the same phone call). The person I spoke to today who said that I had to cancel and re-book told me that they are also notifying those that are doing so that there is a possibility of a fuel charge being added on again depending on the 2010 price of fuel. Also since he told me that was what I had to do in order to NOT have a fuel surcharge it seems that they don't care if you are doing that but those are the steps that you have to take. It seems like it would be a LOT less paperwork for them to just remove it from your fuel surcharge from the 201 reservation rather than have you cancel, issue you credit, re-book you and then recharge you the deposit.

Just make sure the cruise fare is the same before doing it because if you cancel you will be charged the current rate.

actually that link and bloombergs page show the same figure $62.41 as a close figure yesterday

So it does, well it's down to $59 and change today. :D

I never took the time to look closely enough to see WTI and just assumed CC news folk had it right when they said that was the only place to get the quote.

True it would. But remember you're dealing with a corporate mentality that is probably thinking most people won't go through the trouble to cancel and rebook which leaves the money in their pockets up until the cruise, and then under the policy as announced they give the refund (assuming the price of oil cooperates) as OBC which still leaves the money in their pocket.

I still see the fuel charges on my online invoice. I still see it trying to book a new cruise.

If they are getting rid of them why are they still showing.

Brenda and Bob

Peoria, AZ

You musta missed it. Royal is removing the surcharges.....here's the article:

http://article.wn.com/view/2008/10/24/Royal_Caribbean_Cruises_Ltd_Announces_End_to_Fuel_Supplement/

2010....can I borrow the crystal ball that says oil prices will not be back at $145 a barrel?

I am not one of masses that thinks every American Corporation is EVIL. RCI si doing what they need to do to: A) survive B) return a profit for the stockholders C) secure current and future employment for their ranks.

If it drops below the magic $65.00 mark on Dec 10th, great. But when we booked, we KNEW what we were doing, NO ONE holds a gun to anyone's head and forces them to book a cruise.

Unless some folks are going to now call for a government bailout for cruise passengers because the evil corporation tricked you into going on a cruise.

Thanks Sue, our rate has increased by $70 per person so we are not doing anything as of now.

My rate also increased by $70 pp, coincidence, probably not??!! I was asking just in case Oasis prices dropped and there were guarantees available for better cabins for the price.

Actually, it may be a harder decision for me, because my rate is the full rate plus a $25 charitable donation but free group activities by signing up early. They just raised the activities fee to $500 pp!!! :eek: I dont care if they have the pope there, that seems a lot, but right now I dont have to pay. If I have to choose between a better guarantee and they then want me to pay $1000 for the 2 of us to go to the activities, I dont know ....

My rate also increased by $70 pp, coincidence, probably not??!! I was asking just in case Oasis prices dropped and there were guarantees available for better cabins for the price.

Actually, it may be a harder decision for me, because my rate is the full rate plus a $25 charitable donation but free group activities by signing up early. They just raised the activities fee to $500 pp!!! :eek: I dont care if they have the pope there, that seems a lot, but right now I dont have to pay. If I have to choose between a better guarantee and they then want me to pay $1000 for the 2 of us to go to the activities, I dont know ....

Activities fee on the Oasis please explain.......

Archived