SOLO SENIORS ON HAL - Good and Bad Experiences

Chelly

I'm not a senior, but I have met and enjoyed talking with single seniors on our past cruises! I love meeting all kinds of people and look forward to seeing them and talking throughout the cruise. We usually book on smaller ships so we can create onboard friendships. I think it depends how much you like to mingle and how comfortable you are with asking to join a casual table on the deck or making conversation from a neighboring table. It could be a great experience or a lonely one depending on your comfort level. I would definitely recommend a cruise if you are outgoing and like meeting other people. Just pick times off holidays so you aren't dealing with mostly families. We do travel as a family, but many keep "self-contained" and aren't as sociable.

This will be my first solo cruise and I've been researching and shopping around so much my eyes are beginning to cross. Just when I think I've found the right cruise, I decide another cruise line is more suitable. However, I am leaning towards HAL and am hoping it is solo-senior-friendly.

I'd like to hear how solo, +55 year-olds have liked or disliked cruising on HAL.

My wife and I befriended Bud on the Ryndam he was a gentleman travelling on his own. We shared dinner and he was having a great time on the ship, born in the midwest and now living in Palm Springs his company was wonderful. It was a very sad farewell on our last day of the cruise, if you are reading this Bud we hope you are happy and well!

There is a thread for solo cruisers under Special Interest Cruising on the main page of these boards. It will give you insight into the experiences of other solo cruisers. I've gone solo twice on HAL and will be doing my third in January. I usually join a CC roll call and meet people that way. Also, there are usually a couple of scheduled lunches where solos can meet and have lunch together, if they wish.

Some solo cruisers just want to get away from the hustle and bustle of their everyday life and enjoy the quiet time alone. Either way, its your vacation.....enjoy:)

I second what Barrackman said, head over to the solos board.

I've done 5 solo cruises on HAL, and have a 6th one booked for next year. My last cruise and my upcoming one will be "senior" cruises. :D Sorry, just can't get used to that word!

Seniors will feel right at home on HAL, as will solos. I don't think you can go wrong with HAL. Is there anything in particular you're concerned about?

Roz

I'm 61 and am blessed with a wonderful wife so solo cruising is not an issue for me but I'd have no second thoughts about cruising solo on HAL. We too have come across several solo cruisers, both female and male, over the years and a number have become friends. Our fondest memories are from the Volendam and a male almost solo cruiser. I say almost because he really was with a group of friends who had cruised together several times with the gentleman and his late wife. His attitude was incredible and we had great fun as he would "borrow" my wife for dances. He'd get her to sit with them for a drink, turning me into the "solo" cruiser. :D

I 1st cruised solo in January 2008 on HAL and loved it. I met wonderful people through the CC Meet and Greet and fixed dinner seating. I continue to keep in touch with several and consider them friends. I also found the staff on HAL very friendly. It was a great experience to make my own choices for both my alone time and activities with others.

I will be travelling solo again in January 2009 on the Westerdam :D

Great question I'd like to know too thinking of traveling solo on HAL as well..

I'm not quite a senior yet, but I frequently travel solo on HAL's ships. I'm 53 at the present time and have been doing it for about five years now.

I think another factor as to whether or not you will have a good experience as a solo depends upon the length of the cruise. If you are doing a typical seven-day Caribbean or Alaska sailing, then you will likely get more families, couples and children on the boat, which may detract somewhat from the experience you will have onboard. Generally families traveling together pretty much tend to stick together. Same with couples and groups of couples. They come in their own groups and tend to stick with their own groups while onboard.

However, if you book the longer, more exotic cruises ... pretty much anything 15 days or more ... you have a much greater chance of meeting lots of other solos onboard. You will also find the whole onboard environment much more friendly to singles.

On longer cruises, HAL brings along "social hosts" to dance with ladies lacking a dance partner for whatever reason. But these social hosts are not just dance hosts. They are also great conversationalists, and will always be seen in the lounges joining tables of single women (mostly seniors) in between dance numbers.

HAL also has a daily singles luncheon in the dining room on every sea day on long cruises. The social hosts also host tables for that as well.

But sadly, on shorter cruises, HAL just doesn't provide these extra "services," because, quite frankly, they are not necessary on those cruises. Most of the people who take the shorter cruises come with their own crowds and do not require the services of social hosts to make their cruise experience enjoyable. So, you will find the environment on those shorter cruises, sadly, not very welcoming to singles. But on the longer sailings ... the longer the better ... you will find lots of solos and singles, and a very welcoming onboard environment for them on HAL. And, of course, HAL's lower than normal single supplement charges contribute greatly to that as well.

This is just my experience anyway ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

I second what Barrackman said, head over to the solos board.

I've done 5 solo cruises on HAL, and have a 6th one booked for next year. My last cruise and my upcoming one will be "senior" cruises. :D Sorry, just can't get used to that word!

Seniors will feel right at home on HAL, as will solos. I don't think you can go wrong with HAL. Is there anything in particular you're concerned about?

Roz

I think I have fewer concerns about cruising solo on HAL as compared to other lines. I'm not a fan of glitz and noise, yet don't want to be on a "stuffy" cruise. I do love meeting people and making new friends. I enjoy traveling alone but have never cruised alone. Perhaps my decision is hindered by concerns that a 63-year-old-single-woman would be an oddity on a cruise. I guess I just need to get over it and make the leap. Reading the suggesions here really helps!!!

Hi Chelly! I say go for it!!!! I've cruised with my husband, another time with a friend, and solo (at the end of last February). The first time I went solo it was for ten days. I'm leaving next week on the Noordam for twenty, and I will be going solo.

Some people seem "horrified" and say, "What! You're going ALONE?", my answer is, "I'm hardly alone with nearly 2,000 other passengers on the ship!". And,...yes, I am very much a senior.

Happy Sailing!

I enjoy traveling alone but have never cruised alone. Perhaps my decision is hindered by concerns that a 63-year-old-single-woman would be an oddity on a cruise. I guess I just need to get over it and make the leap. Reading the suggesions here really helps!!!
Oh, then by all means, cruise solo on HAL. You won't be considered an "oddity" at all ... in fact, especially on their longer voyages, you will feel downright at home. Lots of solos onboard. Lots of opportunities to meet people. Even the couples are usually friendly and welcoming to the solo cruiser on those voyages, and I made lots of friends with couples too.

HAL in particular rolls out the welcome mat for singles and solos.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Perhaps my decision is hindered by concerns that a 63-year-old-single-woman would be an oddity on a cruise. I guess I just need to get over it and make the leap.

Not even close to an "oddity"! :D

I've taken 18 HAL cruises as a solo since 2000, and have four more booked; most of those were also as a "senior" (at least by your definition ;)). And on most of those cruises I was traveling absolutely alone. The cruises were for periods of 3 to 35 days, and all of them were fun in their own way.

Now, I might have had a high comfort level since I had cruised HAL when I was half of a couple, so I was already familiar with how it all works.

I recommend traditional, fixed seating for dinner, that you pack your biggest smile, and dive in. :D Book a 7 or 10-day cruise to someplace you'd like to go anyway, and see how you like it. You really have nothing to lose if you're going someplace you'll enjoy anyway. And you might just find your new favorite way to travel!

I sailed solo several times on HAL between 2002 and 2007 - while aged 64 to 69 ( now happily re-married). It was always enjoyable - meeting a number of other outgoing singles. It is a good idea to seek a large table in traditional dining -- this gives you a base on which to build. Also, participate in whatever "singles" activities (sadly they were not usually well-attended) are scheduled; as well as any events (Trivia, etc.) whch appeal to you. Also, "hang out" in several environments - piano bars, the Crows Nest - and be open to meeting/talking with people. I never felt alone as there were many other singles and welcoming couples -- and always had a great time -- in fact, cruising was the only sort of solo vacation I would consider.

I do believe you all have sold me on HAL for my transatlantic dream cruise on Oosterdam in October. I just spoke with a HAL Personal Cruise Consultant and am nearly ready to make a deposit. I have just one other question that I should probably post in another thread.....I wonder if long-time cruisers book directly through HAL or through a travel agent. It's not easy being a newby!!!

Book a 7 or 10-day cruise to someplace you'd like to go anyway, and see how you like it. You really have nothing to lose if you're going someplace you'll enjoy anyway. And you might just find your new favorite way to travel!
I honestly think the OP will have a harder time meeting other singles on a seven-day cruise. Not to say she won't necessarily have a good time, but the environment on those shorter sailings is entirely different from what we are used to on the longer ones. Lots less singles onboard, and those who are often are traveling within their own groups ... and not necessarily open to meeting new people.

I say the OP should book a longer itinerary. She'll have a lot more luck meeting others on one of them.

That's been my experience anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am 55, and I just got off the MOST WONDERFUL 7-day cruise on the Oosterdam! I was solo, and never did try to seek out other solos--I chose anytime dining which gave me the opportunity to meet many many people. One beautiful couple in their 80s and I hit it off so well that they wanted to adopt me--and I would have let them!

I became very good friends with a mother and daughter, and have even made tentative plans to visit them. The ship suited me perfectly--I spent a part of every evening listening to the string quartet in the Explorer Lounge. The art was actually art, the staff quietly and very efficiently went about their jobs, the food was good to excellent (home-made ice cream and fresh-squeezed orange juice, anyone?).

Although the ship was full, I never felt crowded, and I never, ever, felt in the least out of place or unwanted because I was a solo. Every table greeted me and brought me into their group, if they were traveling as a group, and it was great fun, after a few days, to greet so many new friends in the halls, by the pool, or even on shore.

For anyone who appreciates quiet elegance, refinement and the company of people with much to talk about and much to share (yes, it is an older crowd, but they are, by definition, active people, and mostly very very interesting to talk to), then I absolutely, in the highest possible terms, recommend HAL (or at least Oosterdam) to anyone "of a certain age" who would like to cruise solo!

A suggestion is to join your roll call and connect with others on your cruise before you leave.

For years, I cruised solo in a cabin although my sister and brother-in-law were on the same cruise. We all went our own way during the day, meeting for drinks and then dinner at night. I met lots of people through the roll calls and on tours and after a few days, I'd be saying "Hi!" to all sorts of people as we were having a drink at night. In some ways, it was like cruising solo.

Then, three and a half years ago, on a 21-day cruise from Manaus to Rome via Africa, we had a very active roll call. Joining the roll call was a woman who was a recent widow and had decided to go on her own. Since she lived only about an hour away from me, I suggested we get together for dinner before the cruise so that she'd have at least one familiar face on the cruise. We hit it off famously and haven't stopped talking. :) We've been on quite a few cruises together now (as solos, each with our own cabin) and we have several more booked. We are best friends for life, no matter what happens.

Take a chance; if you don't like it you don't have to go again as a solo but life can sometimes throw you a great gift.

I just turned 56 last Saturday and still don't consider myself a senior but will give my input from an experience I had as a solo cruiser on HAL in October 2007 (age 55 then). My DH could not accompany me on the Western Carribean cruise we had booked so I opted to go alone. I missed sharing the experience with my DH but I discovered that (1) I could cruise on my own and have a great time and (2) the HAL crew looked out for me 100%.

Frankly I felt like I had the royal treatment once I stepped on board. I did notice that photographers avoided me - not such a bad thing in the end - but that was the only obvious difference. I still had the balcony cabin and traditional table for two that we had reserved. The dining room staff from wine steward to head waiter looked out for me every evening and the cabin steward was extra attentive. On the last sea day we had especially rough seas and the cabin steward brought me crackers and tea and a sea sickness tablet without me having to ask.

Based on my experience with HAL I now feel totally confident that in the future I will be able to continue to enjoy cruising should the time come that my DH is no longer with me. Thanks to the CC's on this board who gave me advice before the cruise I was able to make the most of the trip.

Any cruise has the potential to be good or bad depending on how one approaches it but I was very happy with my solo cruise on HAL as a (sigh) senior.;)

I do believe you all have sold me on HAL for my transatlantic dream cruise on Oosterdam in October. I just spoke with a HAL Personal Cruise Consultant and am nearly ready to make a deposit. I have just one other question that I should probably post in another thread.....I wonder if long-time cruisers book directly through HAL or through a travel agent. It's not easy being a newby!!!

Check your pricing. You may find much better pricing through a TA than directly from HAL.

Then, three and a half years ago, on a 21-day cruise from Manaus to Rome via Africa, we had a very active roll call. Joining the roll call was a woman who was a recent widow and had decided to go on her own. Since she lived only about an hour away from me, I suggested we get together for dinner before the cruise so that she'd have at least one familiar face on the cruise. We hit it off famously and haven't stopped talking. :) We've been on quite a few cruises together now (as solos, each with our own cabin) and we have several more booked. We are best friends for life, no matter what happens.

What a wonderful story, Pam! You are so fortunate to have met someone in your own backyard who loves cruising.

Maybe I will get lucky one day. Unfortunately, I cruise solo because no one in my family or circle of friends can deal with the thought of "being stuck on a boat" and I've long ago given up trying to convince anyone to give a cruise a try. About a year ago, a niece of mine (one of the people who I had previously tried to talk into going on a cruise) "got stuck" going on one when her employer decided to host their annual executives' meeting on a cruise ship (I think it was Carnival). True to her word, she hated it ... probably because she got onboard convinced she would hate it. She said she felt sick the entire time, hated the food, the environment, etc., etc. I know Carnival is not the best cruise line for some people, but come on! It's not that bad! I actually enjoyed the food on Carnival and found it to be on a par, if not slightly better, than HAL.

That's a great story, Pam ... and one I hope to copy one day.

Thanks for telling it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I enjoy traveling alone but have never cruised alone. Perhaps my decision is hindered by concerns that a 63-year-old-single-woman would be an oddity on a cruise. I guess I just need to get over it and make the leap. Reading the suggesions here really helps!!!

If you enjoy traveling alone, I can practically guarantee you that solo cruising will be a treat. I'm "only" 50 and a relatively new cruiser, but I've gone solo every time and adored it. Probably my favorite part is that I can be as sociable as I choose without sacrificing my private time, which makes for a perfect vacation in my book. Go ahead and leap! :)

Caro

Archived