Murano's on Solstice...Question for those of you who have sailed on Solstice...

elena7seas

We would probably do the same as you, that being 3 evenings of wine parings for an additional $27.95 vs one BIG night at $140 per person.

I still maintain, however, that what drives the price substantially higher for the $140 "dinner" must be the caliber of wines being poured. IMO you're probably still paying $30, theoretically, for the food and $110 for the wine.

Last year we paid $95 for a wine paired dinner in Todd English aboard QM2. One of the wines that no doubt was responsible for the high price tab (when compared to Ocean Liner's $57.95) was the Opus One they poured with the main course. This was our first time trying Opus One, and it was delicious! So to me, the varying prices of these types of dinners has everything to do with the wines being poured, and very little with the food.

We have drunk Opus One and agree, it is delicious. I still have the menu with the wine pourings from the Connie from last year and a sample menu posted recently from Murano. I'll probably be checking out the two on line sometime this week.

Murano Century is $30 for the regular meal, the wine paring or "Menu Exceptional" is $100 per person extra and you get an extra course, thus an extra glass of wine...Mr Cemal maitre d from Murano Century is suppose to be maitre d on Solstace..Murano Century is great, I spent 44 nights on her May and June went to Murano every night did wine paring twice out of 44

We would probably do the same as you, that being 3 evenings of wine parings for an additional $27.95 vs one BIG night at $140 per person.

I still maintain, however, that what drives the price substantially higher for the $140 "dinner" must be the calibur of wines being poured. IMO you're probably still paying $30, theoretically, for the food and $110 for the wine.

Last year we paid $95 for a wine paired dinner in Todd English aboard QM2. One of the wines that no doubt was responsible for the high price tab (when compared to Ocean Liner's $57.95) was the Opus One they poured with the main course. This was our first time trying Opus One, and it was delicious! So to me, the varying prices of these types of dinners has everything to do with the wines being poured, and very little with the food.

I think the price is based more on the wines, too.

The only remarkable i noticed on the menue is the truffle (white truffle emulsion).

It would be interessting to know which wines were used.

We have drunk Opus One and agree, it is delicious. I still have the menu with the wine pourings from the Connie from last year and a sample menu posted recently from Murano. I'll probably be checking out the two on line sometime this week.

I'll be interested in the results of your comparisons of wines between the two venues!

In the meantime, I dug out our Vintage Room menu from the Symphony. Here it is for those who study wines. The price for the wine dinner was $150 in 2006, however $175 currently.

A WINE TOUR OF THE WORLD

Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Vintage Room . Crystal Symphony

At Sea, en Route to Huatulco, Mexico

Head Sommelier Ben Van de Meutter

THE MENU

Canapes

Mini Cannelloni Filled with Dungeness Crabmeat Salad on Raspberry-Sherry Tossed Lamb’s Lettuce

Poached Lobster Tail in Lemon Oil on Basil Foam

Linguine Alla Don Giovanni

Tossed in Basil-Tomato Sauce with Sautéed Garlic Jumbo Prawns

Sun-Dried Tomato-Crusted Black Bass

with Forest Mushrooms and Italian Pesto

Green Peppercorn-Crusted Angus Beef Steak on Baby Leaf Spinach and Truffled Mashed Potatoes

Selections of International Cheeses

Sweet Dreams from our Executive Pastry Chef Petits Fours and Truffles

THE WINES

Champagne

Billecart-Salmon, Brut, Mareuil-Sur-Ay, France NV

White

Sauvignon Blanc, Cloudy Bay Vineyards, Marlborough, New Zealand 2005

Chardonnay, Leeuwin Estate, “Art Series,” Margaret River,

Australia 2000

Red

Brunello di Montalcino, Castello Banfi, Tuscany, Italy 2000

Pinot Noir, Miura Vineyards ccpisofli Vineyards,” Santa Rosa 2003

Château Mouton-Rothschild, Bordeaux, France 1996

Port

Graham’s 1997 Vintage Port, Oporto

Dessert

Trockenbeerenauslese, “Cuvée Crystal Cruises,” Kracher, Burgenland, Austria 2000

We plan to only do the meal when we sail 4 jan.. We have done wine pairings for years and stopped since the food and the wine led to one hell of a hangover. Beware of refills!

I'd rather buy a bottle of Opus One for home consumption, then spend the $ for wine pairing.

are you on the jan 4th RC?? We love to hear from you. we are planning on a pre muster drink at Sunset bar. please come!

Its hard to believe anyone would spend $220 extra for wine for one meal over the $60 per couple charge for the meal.

I know what you mean. I've wondered the same thing when it comes to someone who invests $220 in a slot machine only to walk away 30 minutes later with nothing.....

In the end it simply boils down to the "to each their own" theory with regard to personal interests, hobbies and discretionary spending.

The higher price for the wine pairing is definitely for the wines served. Personally, although I enjoy a good wine, I can't drink all those different kinds of wines at one sitting.

I wish they hadn't started using the trendy descriptions of sauces calling them emulsions and foams. Why they use these terms to describe upscale cuisine is beyond me. These are more descriptive of potions used for medicinal purposes.:eek:

We had dinner at Murano's on Century, the best Sepcialty Rest. to date that we have tried. Not sure if this will aply to Solstice but here are two tips!

The couple we ate with (from our CC rollcall) did the pairing while we did not...I do not drink much & DH is happy with one glass of wine. The staff did a great job keeping everyone more than happy but really it is best if all at the table are having the same type plan--the wine pairing takes longer...with the pouring, tasting etc.. & I am not sure if they had any additional courses.

The other thing is that before the meal began, the couple was offered a special wine that was not part of the pairing...they ordered it & there was definitely sticker shock for that one when we ran into them the next day!

They said it was well worth it but for non- wine lovers it might not be !

I know what you mean. I've wondered the same thing when it comes to someone who invests $220 in a slot machine only to walk away 30 minutes later with nothing.....

In the end it simply boils down to the "to each their own" theory with regard to personal interests, hobbies and discretionary spending.

Touche...

Archived