Murano's on Solstice...Question for those of you who have sailed on Solstice...

elena7seas

I noticed on www.thepreismans.com (thank you, Mike and Carol for your wonderful photographic record of your Solstice trip) that the Food and Wine pairing in Murano's carries a $140 fee (all inclusive). As I assume that is per person, it is quite a hefty cost.

Was this Food and Wine pairing available on the Naming Cruise? Did any of you who have sailed on the Solstice hear any discussion about it while you were on the ship?

I would love to hear any details from anyone who has the opportunity to do the Food and Wine pairing at Murano's while on Solstice.

We were looking forward to dining in Murano's on our December cruise, but don't know if we would be willing to pay quite that much, so are very interested to hear what others think.

Hi Elena,

We did not hear anyone say anything about it. When we go in December, we will pass on the pairing, since we aren't really into wine. The regular Murano menu should be more than adequate.:)

Thanks Mike, for your reply. (And for your terrific photos...I've spent so much time looking at them today I have done almost NO work.)

We have always enjoyed the food and wine pairing menus in the M-class specialty restaurants, but $140 is a big step up from $60.

I would love to hear from any wine aficionados as to whether they think the pourings merit such an upcharge.

Muranos cost $30pp

The wine-pairing menu is $140pp

On Century the Menu Exceptionnelle was an additonal cover charge of $100pp in addition to the $30pp so the costings on Solstice are pretty much in line.

But my biggest complaint is 'Where has the Goats Cheese Souffle Gone?'!

We were on the Infinity SA cruise in Apr. Enjoyed the specialty restaurant's wine pairing special. We paid $30 pp for the restaurant plus $31 or $32 pp for the supplement. Total $61 or $62 pp. Well worth it as the wines well very well paired. So @ $70 per is not so far out of whack. IMHO this is a true dining experience. Comparable with some NYC restaurants which charged much higher rates. Will be on the Solstice 12/7 and will revert.

Muranos cost $30pp

The wine-pairing menu is $140pp

On Century the Menu Exceptionnelle was an additonal cover charge of $100pp in addition to the $30pp so the costings on Solstice are pretty much in line.

But my biggest complaint is 'Where has the Goats Cheese Souffle Gone?'!

Maybe the Goat Cheese Souffle was a proprietary recipe of Michel Roux. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense not to offer it, as it seems it was everyone's favourite.

I think you are probably right that it is $140 per person, since that is what it says on the Menu.

It will be interesting to hear back from someone who has experienced the food and wine pairing on Solstice.

$140 is pretty much in line with on shore restaurants that offer multi-course dinners with wine pairings. Last week we paid $95 for a 4 course meal with paired wines, however have seen advertisements for similar upcoming dinners at $185.

IMO whether or not $140 is "worth it" would depend a lot on the wines being poured. It might be interesting to google the wines Murano is pouring for the $140 dinner and see what their ratings and retail prices are. Do your homework and determine for yourself if the price is worth it!

Crystal does a fantastic wine dinner for $175 per person with very high end wines. It's limited to 15 people and held in a special venue, the Vintage Room. The event is an entire evening, complete with photographs, personalized printed menus, history of the wines poured, corsages for the ladies, etc.

$140 is pretty much in line with on shore restaurants that offer multi-course dinners with wine pairings. Last week we paid $95 for a 4 course meal with paired wines, however have seen advertisements for similar upcoming dinners at $185.

IMO whether or not $140 is "worth it" would depend a lot on the wines being poured. It might be interesting to google the wines Murano is pouring for the $140 dinner and see what their ratings and retail prices are. Do your homework and determine for yourself if the price is worth it!

Crystal does a fantastic wine dinner for $175 per person with very high end wines. It's limited to 15 people and held in a special venue, the Vintage Room. The event is an entire evening, complete with photographs, personalized printed menus, history of the wines poured, corsages for the ladies, etc.

I agree that for an on shore restaurant $140 per person might be in line. However, on shore you have not paid for a meal by virtue of your cruise fare. We were on the Connie last November. The service charge for Ocean Liners was $30.00 per person, the additional charge for the Wine paring was $27.95 plus a 15% gratuity. The total for 2 was $124.29. Looking at the recently posted menu for Murano's and thinking back to what we had at Ocean Liners, (turbot vs sea bass) if the price is $140 per person we'll use the $280+ in the dining room for 3 evenings of wine.

Mary Lou

Hi Everyone !

I plan to Dine at Murano when I am on Solstice's Inaugural this weekend. I will not be taking the wine pairing option, but I am eager to try their wonderful menu again. I will be sure to report back, when I return home.

The service charge for Ocean Liners was $30.00 per person, the additional charge for the Wine paring was $27.95 plus a 15% gratuity. The total for 2 was $124.29. Looking at the recently posted menu for Murano's and thinking back to what we had at Ocean Liners, (turbot vs sea bass) if the price is $140 per person we'll use the $280+ in the dining room for 3 evenings of wine.

We would probably do the same as you, that being 3 evenings of wine parings for an additional $27.95 vs one BIG night at $140 per person.

I still maintain, however, that what drives the price substantially higher for the $140 "dinner" must be the calibur of wines being poured. IMO you're probably still paying $30, theoretically, for the food and $110 for the wine.

Last year we paid $95 for a wine paired dinner in Todd English aboard QM2. One of the wines that no doubt was responsible for the high price tab (when compared to Ocean Liner's $57.95) was the Opus One they poured with the main course. This was our first time trying Opus One, and it was delicious! So to me, the varying prices of these types of dinners has everything to do with the wines being poured, and very little with the food.

Hi Andy,

Please tell Dominique that Walter, Ben and Kathy will see him on December 7th. He took great care of us on the Century.

Have an amazing time.

Walter

Hi Walter !

Will do. We've had the pleasure of knowing Dominique for many years, and it is always wonderful to see him. He is one of Celebrity's very best !

Have a great time Andy. I am confident that you will.

Hi Mike !

Thank you for your well wishes. I am very confident we will have a great cruise. I hope we sail together again in the near future.

Hey Andy, have fun:D have a drink for me in the Martini

Bar:D

And if you see Erol, (he is the Bartender in the Passport Bar)

please tell him hi and tell him it was such a pleasure to see

him again!

I had not seen him in 3 or 4 years!

Archived