When do you put luggage tags on?

MayerPaint

When should I put my cruise luggage tags on? I am traveling to San Juan, P.R. by air not though the cruise line. If I put them on before I leave they may get torn off. If they are on and delayed they will at least know the final destination. What’s your opinion?

When should I put my cruise luggage tags on? I am traveling to San Juan, P.R. by air not though the cruise line. If I put them on before I leave they may get torn off. If they are on and delayed they will at least know the final destination. What’s your opinion?

You can print out a copy of your itinerary that shows your final destination and place it in your luggage if you are worried. If you are carrying a cell phone, be sure to put that number on it. It's a good precaution.

If your cruiseline just gives you paper tags, put them on at the port because they will probably get ripped off.

The general consensus, although some may disagree, is to put the tags on before you fly if you are flying in the day of the cruise. At the hotel if you fly in a day or more early. And always put a complete itinerary (precruise hotel, cell phone numbers, cruise dates with ship, post cruise location, etc.) in an accessible location of the suitcase and a note on the luggage tag to look in that pocket or zipper.

Put them on AFTER your flight. Put a copy of your itinerary (and cell phone #) in an outside pocket of each suitcase, in case it gets "re-routed"--they will find you without having to open your luggage.

The airlines really have a hard enough time reading their own luggage tags--no need to confuse them more than they already are!

Ok, since we are on the luggage subject, is there many out there that have had their luggage "mis-placed" by the airlines? If so, how was that handled? Normally I always take direct flights, but this time we will have to change planes so a little concerned about not getting our luggage.

Ok, since we are on the luggage subject, is there many out there that have had their luggage "mis-placed" by the airlines? If so, how was that handled? Normally I always take direct flights, but this time we will have to change planes so a little concerned about not getting our luggage.

We have never had this happen, but know of people who have. Here is what we do:

1. We put a copy of our itinerary including our cell phone number in our suitcase.

2. We cross-pack. I put half of my outfits in my DH's suitcase and half in mine. He does the same. That way, if one suitcase goes on a different vacation, we each have clothes to wear.

3. We each take one type of each outfit in our carry-ons. That way, if BOTH of our suitcases take a vacation together, we will have clothes to wear.

This helps to give us peace of mind.

Have fun planning!

I used to resist putting them on until after the flight but now I am a convert to putting them on pre-flight (and we all know there nothing worse then a convert). But when the check in agents see the cruise tags they will often tag your bags "Priority" and when baggage handlers see the cruise tags they tend to make a special effort to be sure sure your bags make your flight and are early off the aircraft.:)

My luggage has personal tags. I don't put the cruise tags on until arrival at the port city. They come off too easily.

If this happens to you, you must put in a claim before you leave the airport.

Ok, since we are on the luggage subject, is there many out there that have had their luggage "mis-placed" by the airlines? If so, how was that handled?

Poorly. ;) My luggage almost invariably takes different flights (and longer vacations) from me, and it has taught me the hard way to pack my carryon very, very carefully. :eek: (BTW, airlines never admit that luggage is misplaced. They say it's "delayed." Guess that way it sounds more like a teensy inconvenience than a major pain in the derriere.)

Caro

Archived