Princess Makes Changes to Cruise Credits; RCI To Follow?

GMoney

There's a big difference between what can be done and what actually happens.:rolleyes: In the current financial environment, the lines themselves are doing most of the discounting and a little research will enable you to find many RCI cruises that are as inexpensive and sometimes less expensive than cruises on Carnival-owned lines. An RCI cruise isn't necessarily more expensive than one on those other lines, and some would say that even when there is an instance where the RCI cruise might cost a bit more, the difference in the cruise experience might be worth the difference.:)

I did not say that the cruise lines are not discounting. I said that RCI does not allow TAs to discount. And with lines other than RCI, TAs can discount off of the cruise line's discount.

As for RCI being worth the extra cost, I wasn't arguing that either. I have not booked anything other than an RCI cruise since I switched over from Celebrity.

As for RCI being worth the extra cost, I wasn't arguing that either. I have not booked anything other than an RCI cruise since I switched over from Celebrity.

Ocean Boy,

We are about to do our 1st Celebrity cruise in July on the Infinity.:)

Why did you switch from Celebrity to RCI? :confused:

Just curious. :)

Because those of us who cruise RCI solo would appreciate the change - that's why. :rolleyes:

The main difference is also solo cruisers getting 2 credits for a non suite stateroom.

Man - these boards were better when people were less and and less interested with being moderators testy and more open to sharing info...:(

Well said, I've noticed how grumpy these boards have become as well. I visit far less than I use to and certainly don't post very often...:(

I travel alone more often than not and this would be a great deal since we pay for double occupancy anyway...

Ocean Boy,

We are about to do our 1st Celebrity cruise in July on the Infinity.:)

Why did you switch from Celebrity to RCI? :confused:

Just curious. :)

Our first cruise was on Celebrity and we had a great time. After that cruise I was really interested in experiencing one of the voyager class ships that I was hearing about so I took a chance and booked. Making the switch had nothing to do with not liking Celebrity. In fact, we had such a good time on Celebrity that I was very nervous about making the switch but I had to see one of those Voyager ships for myself. RCI turned out to be a great fit for us. I am not the type that can sit still for very long and I definitely can't lie out by the pool baking in the sun all day.

RCI was not all that different from Celebrity. However, with the sports deck there is the opportunity to be more active if that is what you enjoy. For those who do not like those types of activity if you avoid the sports deck, in my opinion, you could be pretty hard pressed to tell if you were on a Celebrity or RCI ship. RCI is also a bit more casual that Celebrity. After formal night dinners many people will change into more casual clothes which I prefer to do. On Celebrity people tend to stay dressed for the evening.

I am not real picky about food and find it quite good on both lines. However, we tend to prefer the Windjammer over the main dining room. I like RCI's Windjammer dinners better than I liked Celebrity's casual dinner venue.

So the short answer to your question is I prefer RCI's ships, both physical aesthetics and functionally, to Celebrity's ships. And I much prefer RCI's ships to anything that Carnival or NCL owns. That is the main reason for me sticking with them.

........ Making the switch had nothing to do with not liking Celebrity. In fact, we had such a good time on Celebrity that I was very nervous about making the switch but I had to see one of those Voyager ships for myself. RCI turned out to be a great fit for us. I am not the type that can sit still for very long and I definitely can't lie out by the pool baking in the sun all day.

I'm glad to hear that you did like Celebrity. Thanks for the explanation.:)

I am looking forward to comparing both lines.

I am not a solo cruiser and as most know I go bananas over this whole "I am entitled to....". But I think this would be a good change for single cruisers after all they are paying for two passengers.

The only problem I see is the possibility to abuse again. A lot of people earn their wings by cruising those fancy 3-nighters $100 specials to reach the next level. With double points for single cruisers they can half the time until they are able to suck RCI dry. :D

I think RCI needs a total cruise credit revamping - period. :)

Because Princess has the best loyalty program of any mass cruise line. Everytime I ask a RCI cruiser to explain their claims that RCI's is better, they can't. Where's the free laundry, dry cleaning, 250 free internet minutes, up to a $300 discount for repeat cruises, free mini bar set up. It doesn't exist on RCI.
I agree Princess has better perks for their past passengers. I sail both lines but love princess perks.

I am not a solo cruiser and as most know I go bananas over this whole "I am entitled to....". But I think this would be a good change for single cruisers after all they are paying for two passengers.

The only problem I see is the possibility to abuse again. A lot of people earn their wings by cruising those fancy 3-nighters $100 specials to reach the next level. With double points for single cruisers they can half the time until they are able to suck RCI dry. :D

I think RCI needs a total cruise credit revamping - period. :)

You bring up a good point, but I wonder where you draw the line. Do you currently get a cruise credit for a 3 dayer on RCI? We're doing a 3 day coastal in September on Princess but it's costing us $500 per person. If I were to travel on an inside cabin, I could probably get a 7 dayer for that right now. I do agree though, it's hard to justify getting a cruise credit for $100.

You bring up a good point, but I wonder where you draw the line. Do you currently get a cruise credit for a 3 dayer on RCI? We're doing a 3 day coastal in September on Princess but it's costing us $500 per person. If I were to travel on an inside cabin, I could probably get a 7 dayer for that right now. I do agree though, it's hard to justify getting a cruise credit for $100.

It is also hard to tie cruise credits to money spent. For example, the week that I am cruising this coming March I could book Adventure for considerably less than Independence. However, I would not receive an extra cruise credit for spending, by a lot, more money. So in some cases one gets a credit for not spending much money as on a 3 nighter. And one gets that same one credit for spending much more on a 7 nighter.

There is only so much a cruise line can do to make it all fair. There will always be those who luck out and those you come up on the short side. And it would not be worth it to me to have to fly somewhere for a three night cruise just to try and build up my credits.

I, however, do feel that single cruisers paying full price for a cabin should get the extra credits. It just seems it would be a nice jesture.

What about those of us who book multiple cabins, but only get 1 cruise credit. If they are going to extend double credits for single cruise passengers paying double rates...why not double rooms. Where does it end?

When you book double rooms are you keeping them empty for yourself to use or are you putting people in them? I imagine that you are paying the fare for others to cruise. And each one of them is getting a credit even though I understand your point that it is not going to the person that paid for those others to cruise.

When you book double rooms are you keeping them empty for yourself to use or are you putting people in them? I imagine that you are paying the fare for others to cruise. And each one of them is getting a credit even though I understand your point that it is not going to the person that paid for those others to cruise.

I see your point...with my 2 cabins...credits are being assigned to those people in the second cabin (my kids). But a single cruiser paying the double occupancy doesn't get the second credit assigned...to anyone. But, honestly...give me the second credit...I don't care if my kids get it. I'm paying for the darn thing! Is that mean? :D If RC was going to consider giving double credits because someone is cruising alone and paying double occupancy rates...then they should consider someone who is cruising and paying for 2 cabins. Again, my point...where would it end...it has to end somewhere.

I see your point...with my 2 cabins...credits are being assigned to those people in the second cabin (my kids). But a single cruiser paying the double occupancy doesn't get the second credit assigned...to anyone. But, honestly...give me the second credit...I don't care if my kids get it. I'm paying for the darn thing! Is that mean? :D If RC was going to consider giving double credits because someone is cruising alone and paying double occupancy rates...then they should consider someone who is cruising and paying for 2 cabins. Again, my point...where would it end...it has to end somewhere.

Heck, I'm with you 100%!! I wish that I could get all the credits for everyone that I have for over the years. If that were the case I'd be diamond ++++:D:D

Emi's Mom...RC isn't making any changes (that I know of)...the OP was just stating that Princess has made changes and possibly, RC may follow.

This is great to hear:)...DH and I are due to make Diamond in January and I'm relieved to hear that things won't change before we do! Whew!

First time posting, so please be patient. Did anyone else notice the email on 12-11-08 from Princess shows a change in advancement to the next level in the Captains Circle? This is the only place I have seen it, the website still shows the ‘old levels’; ie: 1-5 , after 5th cruise platinum etc. Am I missing something? Below is copied from the email that I received.

GOLD MEMBER

1-4 CRUISE CREDITS COMPLETED

PLATINUM MEMBER

5-14 CRUISE CREDITS COMPLETED

OR

50-149 CRUISE DAYS COMPLETED

ELITE MEMBER

15+ CRUISE CREDITS COMPLETED

OR

150+ CRUISE DAYS

Archived