Live from the Emerald: Many pissed off passengers

Aussiemate

I highlighted what, considering circumstances, can be legitimate complaints.

Are you a manager? If you are, did you take action?

If you're not, did you simply explain that you have no authority, and offer them stationery to write their complaint for the appropriate manager to review?

In nine years of cruising I've twice had major complaints, but I certainly didn't voice them to a clerk. That doesn't even make sense.

I wrote short notes, one to the Hotel Manager, the other to the Food/Beverage Manager.

Both notes resulted in immediate corrective action.

Once I voiced a minor complaint about a port disembarkation problem to a front desk clerk. She smiled, looked me in the eye, and asked the magic question:

"What can I do to make this right?" I told her.

She briefly consulted with her supervisor who supplied the solution.

Courtesy combined with action is often a marvelous problem solver.

You might try that in lieu of head nodding or going off into dream land.

Eyes glazing over..............................

Head nodding in agreement....................................

Profuse apologies for smokers, internet, hard mattresses.......................

A single tear slowly rolling down my cheek........................................

Aaaahhhh, the beach in Phuket. Can't wait to be there............................

OK , I will get serious for a minute.

I just met with a couple who were extrememly upset. They received their disembarcation instructions, explaining how and when to leave their bags outside the cabin on the final night of the cruise.

They were appalled that my company would be so irresponsible as to make it possible for Terrorists and other evil people to place explosives and/or illegal drugs into the baggage of innocent travelers, as it was sitting unlocked in passageways, waiting for pick-up. These passengers claimed to have personally spoken with all or most of the 4,000+ passengers onboard this week and - you guessed it - they ALL feel the same way.

I pointed out that cruise ships have been doing this - rather successfully - for over 100 years, although I admitted that recent developments in terrorism and the declining quality of cruise ship passengers has caused us to be far more vigilant in recent years.

But they would have none of this explanation.

They insisted that we make announcements tomorrow night, warning everyone to be more careful with their bags, keeping them inside their cabins. They further insisted that we set up a reservation system where each cabin can make an appointment for luggage pick-up from their cabin (all 2,000 of them) at their most convenient time.

I started to try reason with these people ( I don't have enough crew or even enough telephone lines to even attempt such a thing), but then my eyes began to glaze over, I started dreaming of my next holiday, I nodded in quiet and sympathetic agreement, and apologized profusely for this oversight.

Philip-Doesn't surprise me at all about this latest request/complaint. I can picture these passengers in my mind, saying that almost word for word to you.

It just amazes me how some can carry their complaints to this limit. And the exagerations are remarkable. ROFL

BUT-Were they enjoying their voyage so far? :) :)

Some people will do anything to think of a reason not to tip the hard working staff of a cruise ship. Its ridiculous that anyone would think that not tipping the service crew is a good or fair idea under any circumstances, unless of course if they were all horrible in their service to you for your entire cruise....which I doubt would ever be the case. Pay up your tips and write to the management if you are not happy with the CRUISE LINE but don't sc _ _ w the staff.

Some people will do anything to think of a reason not to tip the hard working staff of a cruise ship. Its ridiculous that anyone would think that not tipping the service crew is a good or fair idea under any circumstances, unless of course if they were all horrible in their service to you for your entire cruise....which I doubt would ever be the case. Pay up your tips and write to the management if you are not happy with the CRUISE LINE but don't sc _ _ w the staff.

I agree. :(

Philip-Doesn't surprise me at all about this latest request/complaint. I can picture these passengers in my mind, saying that almost word for word to you.

It just amazes me how some can carry their complaints to this limit. And the exagerations are remarkable. ROFL

BUT-Were they enjoying their voyage so far? :) :)

Actually they told me that they are having a great cruise, but they removed all the tips (the real reason they stopped by to complain) because of the possible terrorist threat to their suitcases.

OK , I will get serious for a minute.

I just met with a couple who were extrememly upset. They received their disembarcation instructions, explaining how and when to leave their bags outside the cabin on the final night of the cruise.

They were appalled that my company would be so irresponsible as to make it possible for Terrorists and other evil people to place explosives and/or illegal drugs into the baggage of innocent travelers, as it was sitting unlocked in passageways, waiting for pick-up. These passengers claimed to have personally spoken with all or most of the 4,000+ passengers onboard this week and - you guessed it - they ALL feel the same way.

I pointed out that cruise ships have been doing this - rather successfully - for over 100 years, although I admitted that recent developments in terrorism and the declining quality of cruise ship passengers has caused us to be far more vigilant in recent years.

But they would have none of this explanation.

They insisted that we make announcements tomorrow night, warning everyone to be more careful with their bags, keeping them inside their cabins. They further insisted that we set up a reservation system where each cabin can make an appointment for luggage pick-up from their cabin (all 2,000 of them) at their most convenient time.

I started to try reason with these people ( I don't have enough crew or even enough telephone lines to even attempt such a thing), but then my eyes began to glaze over, I started dreaming of my next holiday, I nodded in quiet and sympathetic agreement, and apologized profusely for this oversight.

Wow... I guess there IS a remote possibility that this might happen :rolleyes:, but thank heavens that the cruise industry still has a little common-sense, unlike the airlines who still, after all these years, force folks to take off their shoes at their security checkpoints. If these folks were that paranoid, then they probably should have stayed home behind their locked doors and never come out. My sympathies to you Philip when you have to deal with "the brain dead"... I completely understand the need to "nod and smile"...

Actually they told me that they are having a great cruise, but they removed all the tips (the real reason they stopped by to complain) because of the possible terrorist threat to their suitcases.

Why does that not surprise me? If it weren't the luggage, it could be some other thing that you weren't expecting. Those type of passengers will choose any unrealistic reason to 'stiff the staff' of their hard earned grautities. Amazing in this day and age how some can justify the ridiculous things they do. :(

Although I can certainly empathize with the fuel charge problem, to take off the tips is just plain WRONG:mad::mad:

We have always tried to do our own tours when we can, cheaper and usually a much better tour. If people wanted to stay on the ship and eat.....well more power to them:rolleyes:

Hope the food quality is good when I board the Emerald...can't wait:)

Having just got off the Emerald this morning we rated the food very good for that size ship BUT the duck we had one evening was so tough it was almost uneatable. On another evening the eggplant Parmesan was totally burnt :eek: & shouldn't have even been served. I had to use my knife to cut it into pieces while the eggplant at the Cafe Carib that same night was great. Other than those two exceptions the meals in the dr were great. I guess they just had a bad night in the kitchen. ;)

In the mornings the danishes at the International Cafe are definitely a better choice. Many days I would go there & carry a plate full up to the Horizon for breakfast.

Having just got off the Emerald this morning we rated the food very good for that size ship BUT the duck we had one evening was so tough it was almost uneatable. On another evening the eggplant Parmesan was totally burnt :eek: & shouldn't have even been served. I had to use my knife to cut it into pieces while the eggplant at the Cafe Carib that same night was great. Other than those two exceptions the meals in the dr were great. I guess they just had a bad night in the kitchen. ;)

In the mornings the danishes at the International Cafe are definitely a better choice. Many days I would go there & carry a plate full up to the Horizon for breakfast.

Good to hear for the most part it was good. :)

Were you caught up in the mutiny. :eek:

I really love it when a passenger comes to me to complain about the fuel surcharge/rough toilet paper/declining food quality/hard mattresses/chair hogs/internet speed/ship movement/dress code/smokers/nickel and diming/you name it/whatever.

The complaint inevitably includes the comment, "and I have spoken with all the other passengers and they all feel the same way". I used to bother to investigate this alarming statement. Inevitably the complainer has spoken with maybe 2 or 3 passengers - sadly neglecting to contact the other 3,000 or 4,000 passengers onboard. The 2 or 3 he did speak with more or less agreed with his ranting to shut him up and make him go away and stop bothering them on their holiday.

Now when I meet one of these complainers who has "spoken with all the other passengers", my eyes slowly glaze over, I nod frequently in complete agreement to his rantings, apologize profusely, try to look as concerned as possible - and think about my next holiday.

There were many passengers on the Emerald last week that were annoyed about the fuel charged not being removed but I can't say I heard of any that threatened to remove the tips as a retaliation.

As we were boarding on Dec 10, there were a few people that had spoken to Princess reps that gave them the incorrect info & were certain that there would be refunds coming. Surprise :rolleyes:.

Good to hear for the most part it was good. :)

Were you caught up in the mutiny. :eek:

If there was a "mutiny" I guess I missed it. :rolleyes:

We don't normally bother to much with ship or passenger activities & tend to do our own thing.

We also just returned this am and must say that the food was awesome,and the service was fantastic.the only complaints i have are the rude elderly passengers that treat the crew badly,no reason for that at all!!i cant understand how people can be in the middle of paradise, being waited on and treated like royalty and still be grumpy and misarable!!we loved it!!!!

We also just returned this am and must say that the food was awesome,and the service was fantastic.the only complaints i have are the rude elderly passengers that treat the crew badly,no reason for that at all!!i cant understand how people can be in the middle of paradise, being waited on and treated like royalty and still be grumpy and misarable!!we loved it!!!!

Good to hear about the food/service. ;)

As far as rude elderly passengers, thats a fact of cruising nowadays, they are every cruise. :cool:

the cruise.

They were appalled that my company would be so irresponsible as to make it possible for Terrorists and other evil people to place explosives and/or illegal drugs into the baggage of innocent travelers, as it was sitting unlocked in passageways, waiting for pick-up.

Did you suggest that they lock their suitcases instead of leaving them unlocked?

These people don't deserve a cruise. They are mad at Princess so they want to stiff the crew? That makes no sense. There are a lot of things in life that are not fair but to turn around and "not be fair" to others is so wrong. I would tell them "to go home and grow up".

So what does someone need to be or do to "deserve" a cruise in your eyes? :rolleyes:

Seems to me anyone with the moey to bok it "deserves" a cruise!

I wonder as to how many of those cowards that stiffed the crew by keeping the tip money, gourging themselves at the buffet and taking Joe the Taxi Driver tour instead of the ship's had the courage to send a letter to Princess and voice their displeasure. It would seem plausible that if the entire ship were to send a letter asking for a commercial decision to credit them for the surcharge just because the oil price barely made it over the "limit" for one day, they would get some relief. But it's easier to complain then to face the problem with a solution.

You people crack me up..... stiffing someones tip makes them a coward?? :rolleyes:

I take issue with your adjectives. I understand the word rude. Now what is your definition of elderly. This tends to infer that all elderly passengers may be rude because they are elderly. What is the definition of elderly? Is that an age definition or an attitude definition?

I use to think that 40 was elderly.

I take issue with your adjectives. I understand the word rude. Now what is your definition of elderly. This tends to infer that all elderly passengers may be rude because they are elderly. What is the definition of elderly? Is that an age definition or an attitude definition?

I use to think that 40 was elderly.

Not really, just the rude eldely ones. :rolleyes:

Archived