Live from the Emerald: Many pissed off passengers

Aussiemate

Colo .....:D

On our Nov 29th Ruby Family cruise we had the Auto tipping for All 4 Staterooms (3 Balconies and 1 Suite) which covered 10 people including 1 child of 4 and 1 infant.

No once did it cross our minds to have it removed, our Suite Stewardess was rewarded too on our last morning.

OP just got me riled a little..... I think he is on a one man mutiny. ;)

this thread is becoming a bore

look, a cruise costs whatever it costs whether you stay in an inside on the seaweed deck or in a penthouse suite

everybody knew what their cruise cost before they made their final payment and presumably they were happy with the base rate, port charges, fuel charges and taxes

if they werent they should not have made the final payment

so whats the problem????

if you cant afford about $60pp for a seven day cruise you shouldnt be on the boat

why in the world people would take it out on the crew (who have nothing whatsoever to do with princess pricing) is beyond me

all these pax shoulda stayed home and whined about something else

i for one am sick of all the whiners

they shouldnt be spending their grocery money on trips and if $60 is that important i say stay home

and yes boycotting the ships excursions and remaining on the ship is a great idea

bet they showed princess!

why even go on a trip if all you are gonna do is whine and complain about a few bucks???? makes no sense to me

glad i'm not there

hope they all got noro

not reading this thread again i'm sick of whiners and cheapskates

this thread is becoming a bore

look, a cruise costs whatever it costs whether you stay in an inside on the seaweed deck or in a penthouse suite

everybody knew what their cruise cost before they made their final payment and presumably they were happy with the base rate, port charges, fuel charges and taxes

if they werent they should not have made the final payment

so whats the problem????

if you cant afford about $60pp for a seven day cruise you shouldnt be on the boat

why in the world people would take it out on the crew (who have nothing whatsoever to do with princess pricing) is beyond me

all these pax shoulda stayed home and whined about something else

i for one am sick of all the whiners

they shouldnt be spending their grocery money on trips and if $60 is that important i say stay home

and yes boycotting the ships excursions and remaining on the ship is a great idea

bet they showed princess!

why even go on a trip if all you are gonna do is whine and complain about a few bucks???? makes no sense to me

glad i'm not there

hope they all got noro

not reading this thread again i'm sick of whiners and cheapskates

Nice...real Nice. Now what did we say about acting like Humans? Or don't the Rich folk have to act like Humans?

The fuel charge is a small protion of your trip. Its part of the price of luxury. If you were on a driving vacation and you came to a station where fuel was higher than you thought it should be, would you gas up and run?

It has nothing to do with the workers on the ship.

Its a vacation...go have fun.

IMO, it's unfair to take the auto tips away from the hardworking crew. They didn't have any part in the decisions made by Princess.

Please keep us posted.

I totally agree!

Why stiff the hard working crew?

They have nothing to do with the fuel surcharge.

Punish the cruiseline that imposed it, not the hard

working crew! :mad:

My husband and I are also on the Emerald Princess and the staff and food are both excellent.

Thanks for another perspective to keep the current state of affairs on the Emerald in perspective. Not quite a mutiny then, right??

If you don't like cruising then stay at Del Boca Vista.

Phase II!

Do you mind posting about the bus on Barbados. Sounds exactly right for us too. Thanks!

All the hulabalu about the Emerald and people's refusing to enjoy their cruise because of the fuel surcharge struck a chord with me, because I had a very similar situation. I was lucky enough to have our master bathroom remodelled in September, and even luckier to have granite slab installed on the vanity and around the tub. I chose the granite, was given a price for the slab and a price for the fabrication, but didn't expect a "fuel add-on" when we reached final payment. I can tell you that the "fuel add-on" was multiples greater than anything we're paying on a cruise ship. So after watching the contractors fight those slabs up the steps, fight them into place, after enjoying that bathroom every day since, I should have those slabs ripped out and returned! I should demand all my money, plus the "fuel add-on" be returned to me ASAP! I should just have my old laminate re-installed, and the bathroom returned to its former condition. That would sure show those granite dealers a thing or do, wouldn't it?

To the OP, if you think that sounds ridiculous, your response to the fuel surchage was all of that plus some. Because you're denying yourself enjoyment of something that ultimately cost far more than my bathroom (coming from Australia and all) over a surcharge that was far less.

MSC Cruises earlier eliminated their fuel surcharge on all sailings April 1, 2009, and after. This morning the line announced they will extend the policy to all 2009 sailings January 1 and after.

Wonder if Princess will follow suit?

Have heard from someone who is cruising with RCI in July that they have had their fuel surcharge returned to them - not obc but cash back in the bank. So a lot of the other cruiselines are doing the same thing as Princess. I believe Princess are returning surcharges for cruises after 17th January 2009 in cash and for those before in obc.

However, if MSC or any other cruiselines can so easily delete surcharges on all 2009 cruises, they can just as easily reinstate them;) No doubt in my mind that oil prices will go up significantly as OPEC have said they are going to cut production of oil quite drastically.

Just read in our UK newspaper that OPEC are going to drastically reduce oil production. So we might all see the price of oil rapidly escalating which will make all this talk of fuel surcharge rebates a thing of the past.

You might and you might not. Maybe the reduction will get the price back up to $50. But technical analysts are predicting that it will fall to $35 within the next month. With the economy in the crapper, less oil is being used. That's what is driving prices down. If prices approach $70, then that would mean the economy is doing better. That's a tradeoff I'd take and wouldn't mind paying the $180 surcharge if the unemployed start getting jobs.

As to the post made by someone that the original fuel retroactive surcharge was legitimate, to the extent, the current Florida AG believed it wasn't, THAT is the reality. It really doesn't make a difference about the fine print or brochures. Carnival and Princess were the last to reverse the retroactive surcharges. But they did.

Although I can certainly empathize with the fuel charge problem, to take off the tips is just plain WRONG:mad::mad:

Agreed. But to remove the automatic gratuity and then pay your cabin attendent, busboy and waiter in cash sends a message to the cruise line and does not adversely impact the crew member.

I would hope that is what the original poster meant.

Not meaning to step in to your Princess board to cause issues, but Ted has been raising the fuel charge issue on the Carnival board so long and adamantly that it is to the point of being comical.:)

zgvol,

You must be interested in what I have to say since your stalking me over here on the Princess Board. It must be that comedic relief you are seeking. If you have an opinion please express it, if not, please keep my name out of your mouth or more correctly your keyboard. Thanks.

This is actually incorrect information. Princess (Carnival, Corp.) negotiated for quite a while with the FL AG's office in 2005/06 on what to do in the event that a fuel surcharge or other surcharge were needed to cover their basic costs. It was agreed that they could put a disclaimer in their brochure and Cruise Contract, which they proceeded to do. It's all there in black and white. They had the approval and go-ahead from the FL AG's office to implement a surcharge, if needed, since every passenger receives a brochure and/or cruise contract. Two things happened: passengers didn't read either the brochure or the cruise contract and became incensed when Carnival Corp. brands implemented the fuel surcharge. The other thing that happened is that there was a new FL AG who reneged on the approved wording and passenger communications. ALL passengers had the capability of knowing that a surcharge could be imposed; they either failed to read or ignored that terminology.

Because of the new FL AG, the surcharge was re-negotiated but in reality, Carnival Corp. had the legal right to do what they did as they had notified all passengers about the possibility but apparently, they didn't wave a red flag big enough pointing this out to passengers.

You can bet that one way or the other, we are all paying for the fuel charges, whether it's through a fuel surcharge or increased cost of cruising.

Pam, Since I don't know the details of the 2005/06 deal brokered by Carnival and the then FL AG, I guess I can't comment on that, but it would seem to me that in that kind of agreement the Passengers that would be assessed the Fuel Surcharge after booking without it originally, would be able recieve a full refund at anytime before the cruise even if they were in the penalty phase. Is that how it was suppose to work? Otherwise you would have an open ended contract with no relief for the paying customer. In such cases Carnival Corp could assess whatever fees or surcharges they wished at the last minute. The other thought I had was that the new FL AG may have had a differing opinion about the legality of such an agreement and made a different decision, at least partly, because of that, and of course the thousands of complaints his office recieved when the Fuel Surcharge was applied retroactively. IMO, Fuel Surcharges and what ever other add on fees should be included in the cruise fare and looked upon as the cost of doing business. You do also realize these Surcharges and such are non-commisionable for the many TA's out there booking these cruises for Carnival. Maybe we can talk about that as being unconscienable, just like those who cut the auto tipping for the hard working service staff on the ships. What do you think?

Agreed. But to remove the automatic gratuity and then pay your cabin attendent, busboy and waiter in cash sends a message to the cruise line and does not adversely impact the crew member.

I would hope that is what the original poster meant.

Except that when you remove the autotip, and pay the crew members directly, that money gets turned into their supervisors so the money gets pooled. And when this happens, it's considered a dink against the crew member. So you're adversely impacting the crew members. Better to keep the autotip in place. If you have a beef with the cruiseline, take it up directly with corporate (fill out those comment cards and send a letter to Santa Clarita) as employees onboard have nothing to do with the fuel surcharge.

I think the reason that people are upset about them keeping that money is because they feel the cruise lines are taking money from them that they no longer deserve, since the price of gas is about $40 a barrel. :)

I totally agree!

Why stiff the hard working crew?

They have nothing to do with the fuel surcharge.

Punish the cruiseline that imposed it, not the hard

working crew! :mad:

If you feel the need to punish the cruise lines, then don't buy drinks, pictures. or excursions. But to take the auto-tips off is just plain WRONG!!! :mad:

Except that when you remove the autotip' date=' and pay the crew members directly, that money gets turned into their supervisors so the money gets pooled. And when this happens, it's considered a dink against the crew member. So you're adversely impacting the crew members. Better to keep the autotip in place. If you have a beef with the cruiseline, take it up directly with corporate (fill out those comment cards and send a letter to Santa Clarita) as employees onboard have nothing to do with the fuel surcharge.[/quote']

I think the cruise lines should seperate the auto-tip into seperate categories. Room Steward, Dining Room Server, Asst. Server, and all other service employees. That way if you want to take it off, you can do it for the specific category and that way it doesn't reflect on the people who have given you good service. :D

There are so many passengers mad at being ripped off out of their fuel charge rebate because one day after being low for weeks, Nov 4th oil spiked for one day only at 70.54 a barrel, to then drop to current levels and thus disqualified from the convoluted rebate system. Expressed is the concern that the rebate was not objectively assessed as promised and just a marketing ploy.

Folks are doing all sorts of things to deliberately getting back at princess. I've heard of many examples

* Removal of auto tipping totally - "management is to pay the service charge from my un-refunded fuel surcharge."

* self organising shore tours - canceling out anything originally booked through the company.

Local taxis have said that there are few people coming in off the ships - it seems more folks than usual are staying aboard and "eating up".

We are having a wonderful time - but have notice that service and food quality has declined significantly.

1. The OP did NOT say they were participating in any actions.

2. Is Aussiemate an Australian? The profile doesn't say.

3. Australians didn't/ don't pay the fuel surcharge.

4. How many people are/ are not participating?

Too many assumptions being made by posters. Not enough facts.

I wonder as to how many of those cowards that stiffed the crew by keeping the tip money, gourging themselves at the buffet and taking Joe the Taxi Driver tour instead of the ship's had the courage to send a letter to Princess and voice their displeasure. It would seem plausible that if the entire ship were to send a letter asking for a commercial decision to credit them for the surcharge just because the oil price barely made it over the "limit" for one day, they would get some relief. But it's easier to complain then to face the problem with a solution.

Very well said! It's usually the big mouths that are not present when real action is needed.;)

I really love it when a passenger comes to me to complain about the fuel surcharge/rough toilet paper/declining food quality/hard mattresses/chair hogs/internet speed/ship movement/dress code/smokers/nickel and diming/you name it/whatever.

The complaint inevitably includes the comment, "and I have spoken with all the other passengers and they all feel the same way". I used to bother to investigate this alarming statement. Inevitably the complainer has spoken with maybe 2 or 3 passengers - sadly neglecting to contact the other 3,000 or 4,000 passengers onboard. The 2 or 3 he did speak with more or less agreed with his ranting to shut him up and make him go away and stop bothering them on their holiday.

Now when I meet one of these complainers who has "spoken with all the other passengers", my eyes slowly glaze over, I nod frequently in complete agreement to his rantings, apologize profusely, try to look as concerned as possible - and think about my next holiday.

Thanks for another perspective to keep the current state of affairs on the Emerald in perspective. Not quite a mutiny then, right??

Phase II!

Do you mind posting about the bus on Barbados. Sounds exactly right for us too. Thanks!

All the hulabalu about the Emerald and people's refusing to enjoy their cruise because of the fuel surcharge struck a chord with me, because I had a very similar situation. I was lucky enough to have our master bathroom remodelled in September, and even luckier to have granite slab installed on the vanity and around the tub. I chose the granite, was given a price for the slab and a price for the fabrication, but didn't expect a "fuel add-on" when we reached final payment. I can tell you that the "fuel add-on" was multiples greater than anything we're paying on a cruise ship. So after watching the contractors fight those slabs up the steps, fight them into place, after enjoying that bathroom every day since, I should have those slabs ripped out and returned! I should demand all my money, plus the "fuel add-on" be returned to me ASAP! I should just have my old laminate re-installed, and the bathroom returned to its former condition. That would sure show those granite dealers a thing or do, wouldn't it?

To the OP, if you think that sounds ridiculous, your response to the fuel surchage was all of that plus some. Because you're denying yourself enjoyment of something that ultimately cost far more than my bathroom (coming from Australia and all) over a surcharge that was far less.

Well Said PescadoAmarillo

I really love it when a passenger comes to me to complain about the fuel surcharge/rough toilet paper/declining food quality/hard mattresses/chair hogs/internet speed/ship movement/dress code/smokers/nickel and diming/you name it/whatever.

The complaint inevitably includes the comment, "and I have spoken with all the other passengers and they all feel the same way". I used to bother to investigate this alarming statement. Inevitably the complainer has spoken with maybe 2 or 3 passengers - sadly neglecting to contact the other 3,000 or 4,000 passengers onboard. The 2 or 3 he did speak with more or less agreed with his ranting to shut him up and make him go away and stop bothering them on their holiday.

Now when I meet one of these complainers who has "spoken with all the other passengers", my eyes slowly glaze over, I nod frequently in complete agreement to his rantings, apologize profusely, try to look as concerned as possible - and think about my next holiday.

I highlighted what, considering circumstances, can be legitimate complaints.

Are you a manager? If you are, did you take action?

If you're not, did you simply explain that you have no authority, and offer them stationery to write their complaint for the appropriate manager to review?

In nine years of cruising I've twice had major complaints, but I certainly didn't voice them to a clerk. That doesn't even make sense.

I wrote short notes, one to the Hotel Manager, the other to the Food/Beverage Manager.

Both notes resulted in immediate corrective action.

Once I voiced a minor complaint about a port disembarkation problem to a front desk clerk. She smiled, looked me in the eye, and asked the magic question:

"What can I do to make this right?" I told her.

She briefly consulted with her supervisor who supplied the solution.

Courtesy combined with action is often a marvelous problem solver.

You might try that in lieu of head nodding or going off into dream land.

Archived