Live from the Emerald: Many pissed off passengers

Aussiemate

We are very glad we are not cruising with that childish group of cruisers who would even think of stiffing the hard working crew over the fuel suppliments. As several have already posted, it is a very immature, childish thing to do. Why punish the crew?

Carnival set the rules, posted them on the website. They were widely circulated throughout these boards. They followed their rules. Can't really understand why they would think its unfair. They knew it.

We just returned from a long cruise, we paid the suppliment, left tips in place...and added cash to them. We will reboard the same ship in 3 days, and Yea, will have an OBC from the suppliment. But had it not worked out, we would still boarded, and tipped the staff.

There is no reason to grant exceptions for this cruise...rules were followed, and the passengers should accept that. Grow Up!

We are very glad we are not cruising with that childish group of cruisers who would even think of stiffing the hard working crew over the fuel suppliments. As several have already posted, it is a very immature, childish thing to do. Why punish the crew? !

Well so far its only 1 child. :rolleyes:

There are so many passengers mad at being ripped off out of their fuel charge rebate because one day after being low for weeks, Nov 4th oil spiked for one day only at 70.54 a barrel, to then drop to current levels and thus disqualified from the convoluted rebate system. Expressed is the concern that the rebate was not objectively assessed as promised and just a marketing ploy.

Folks are doing all sorts of things to deliberately getting back at princess. I've heard of many examples

* Removal of auto tipping totally - "management is to pay the service charge from my un-refunded fuel surcharge."

* self organising shore tours - canceling out anything originally booked through the company.

Local taxis have said that there are few people coming in off the ships - it seems more folks than usual are staying aboard and "eating up".

We are having a wonderful time - but have notice that service and food quality has declined significantly.

WOW!! You really show them... screw the hard working crew, cancel fun tours and stay on the ship and SULK. Are these people adults or children?:confused:

Totally agree it's not the crew's fault and they shouldn't be penalized for the way Princess is handling the fuel charge. Like a poster above mentioned we all paid the fuel charge initially and no one expected a refund. It's the same when you purchase something and then it goes on sale a few weeks later. Are you suppose to bring it back to the store weeks later to get a refund? You had no idea the item was going to be on sale afterwards and when you bought it originally you did so with enjoyment and did not complain. It's a shame these people are expressing their feelings in such a manner.

We sail this Saturday and even if we had sailed this week and didn't get the fuel refund we wouldn't have handled it like some people are doing. Yes, I would have been upset that it was just a difference of a week but I wouldn't take it out on the staff since it is not their fault. Hope things clear up and get back to normal next cruise and that the staff don't take out their frustration on the next group of passengers!

... but have notice that service and food quality has declined significantly.

I have no doubt that if there is that much grousing, the crew has heard of it and knows that autotips are being removed. Working for 10 days with unhappy passengers for no pay...my service delivery might decline significantly too.

No it doesn't, but remember that if auto-tips are removed any cash given to the staff must be turned in and it goes into the pool of tip money to be divided equally amongst the staff. The staff member given the cash cannot keep it if auto-tips have been removed.

Yep, this is the policy just like in Kindergarten nobody tattles on another kid. I have a lot of problem with the autotipping policy (is it really a tip or a sneaky way to increase prices without advertising a price increase) when the formula gives part of the autotip to members of the crew that do not provide me direct services. I wonder how many folks tip the dishwashers and cooks in restaurants, the maids supervisor in hotels, etc. We often reduce (or eliminate autotips) and than give even more money to those that provide direct services.

Hank

Are you kidding??? After that post by the OP you think anyone will then give cash back to the ship in any way. Your living in a dream world. :rolleyes:

Hit the nail on the head, those who want to withold the gratuities are looking for an excuse in my opinion. No one in their right mind would punish the crew for the actions of the company.

Nita

On the whole, I agree with what you're saying. Technically, I'm "entitled" to a refund of the fuel surcharge for my Feb 7 sailing. But it's not showing up anywhere in my cruise personalizer. The reason, I think, is because it could be re-instituted at any time. I'll be very happy if I get it back, but I booked the cruise with the idea that I'd be paying it.

In this particular situation, I don't think cancelling or re-booking with another cruise line was an option, as the fee was re-instituted at the last minute. There's obviously some very unhappy people on this ship. My query was about the most effective way to get their point across. Maybe bitching up a storm is all they can really do.

I think you will be getting onboard credit because the princess news said that any sailing from Dec. 17th to Feb. 11 the passengers would get onboard credit. Now since you have not seen it on your cruise personalizer contact your TA or if you bought your cruise from Princess, then call them to find out if you will get onboard credit for your fuel surcharge amt.

Marilyn

What would be an appropriate way to protest such a measure by Princess? I agree that witholding tips is inappropriate, but what would be a good, and effective way of communicating your displeasure? Emphasis on effective. Filling out comment cards after the fact isn't going to do any good.

I think they should write one letter as a group, have everyone sign it and ask Princess to refund all of their fuel surcharges except one day's worth (for the day the price was above $70.00). That sounds reasonable to me.

We are very glad we are not cruising with that childish group of cruisers who would even think of stiffing the hard working crew over the fuel suppliments. As several have already posted, it is a very immature, childish thing to do. Why punish the crew?

Carnival set the rules, posted them on the website. They were widely circulated throughout these boards. They followed their rules. Can't really understand why they would think its unfair. They knew it.

We just returned from a long cruise, we paid the suppliment, left tips in place...and added cash to them. We will reboard the same ship in 3 days, and Yea, will have an OBC from the suppliment. But had it not worked out, we would still boarded, and tipped the staff.

There is no reason to grant exceptions for this cruise...rules were followed, and the passengers should accept that. Grow Up!

Same with all the lines, the policy they were going to put into affect was made very clear. It is sad this happened but it was spelled out. This is like a sale item goes into effect on Jan 1st and I buy it on the 30th of DEc, no I do not get the sale price..

Nita

I am booked on a Feb 18th sailing on the Golden and just received a notification that are fuel surcharges have been placed as an obc . That fuel goes back up to 70.00 they will put it back on. Maybe they just haven't gotten to yours yet.

Technically, I'm "entitled" to a refund of the fuel surcharge for my Feb 7 sailing. But it's not showing up anywhere in my cruise personalizer. The reason, I think, is because it could be re-instituted at any time. I'll be very happy if I get it back, but I booked the cruise with the idea that I'd be paying it.

In this particular situation, I don't think cancelling or re-booking with another cruise line was an option, as the fee was re-instituted at the last minute. There's obviously some very unhappy people on this ship. My query was about the most effective way to get their point across. Maybe bitching up a storm is all they can really do.

No it doesn't, but remember that if auto-tips are removed any cash given to the staff must be turned in and it goes into the pool of tip money to be divided equally amongst the staff. The staff member given the cash cannot keep it if auto-tips have been removed.

If I hand a room stewart a $20 note on top of auto tips - whose going to know if he/she hands it in-

Are there cameras in our Rooms?

do the staff have to empty out their Pockets?

While I would not mind getting the fuel surcharge back in OBC on our Feb sailing, I have to think that if $70 is enough to push you over the edge, maybe you have no business taking a vacation right now financially....

The poor crew once again is takes the brunt of idots outrage for things they have no control of. How very, very sad.

Please stop and consider if YOU were not paid at work because someone was upset with YOUR Company policy how you would feel??? Take your business elsewhere if you disagree with the policy, but don't take it out on those that have no control over it and work so very hard day in and day out to make your time onboard good.

Looking FORWARD to our 2nd cruise aboard the beautiful Emerald with excellent service by a wonderful staff...refund or no refund of fuel charge.

It's bad enough that the crew will be away from their families for Christmas, now they will have less money to send home. Baaa Humbug. Who cares if someone else's family won't be able to make a rent payment or someone's child doesn't get a Christmas present that they had hoped for. As someone else said, some people will look for any excuse not to tip and then will enjoy bragging about it. Thank God that these people are in the minority (I hope).

My husband and I are also on the Emerald Princess and the staff and food are both excellent. People that remove tips to punish the cruise lines should be ashamed of themselves. Don't book excursions and fill up those plates but don't take it out on the crew. If the food is so horrible who are you punishing by stuffing yourselves? Many ships leaving Florida in December are filled with "Complainers of the Seas". If you don't like cruising then stay at Del Boca Vista. No one likes the fuel surcharge but you knew it was part of the cost when you booked the cruise. As far as no one booking excursions the lines for tours this morning in St. Lucia were the longest we ever saw.

We are having a fantastic cruise with wonderful weather, better than expected food and so many choices for evening entertainment we have a hard time deciding what to do.

I will write a review when I get home and will answer all questions for anyone with an upcoming cruise on the Emerald. For all those that gave instructions on how to travel by local bus to Payne's Bay Beach in Barbados, Thank You. We had the most wonderful $3.00 swimming with the turtles tour ever.

Totally agree it's not the crew's fault and they shouldn't be penalized for the way Princess is handling the fuel charge. Like a poster above mentioned we all paid the fuel charge initially and no one expected a refund. It's the same when you purchase something and then it goes on sale a few weeks later. Are you suppose to bring it back to the store weeks later to get a refund? You had no idea the item was going to be on sale afterwards and when you bought it originally you did so with enjoyment and did not complain. It's a shame these people are expressing their feelings in such a manner.

We sail this Saturday and even if we had sailed this week and didn't get the fuel refund we wouldn't have handled it like some people are doing. Yes, I would have been upset that it was just a difference of a week but I wouldn't take it out on the staff since it is not their fault. Hope things clear up and get back to normal next cruise and that the staff don't take out their frustration on the next group of passengers!

I think a better gesture of protest would have been for all of the pax to not board the ship at sailing time and picket the cruise line with posters. That would have showed Princess - they could have sailed off with less people and saved a bundle on fuel and food.

Ron

I'm not sure I understand the reason for the protest. Yes, fuel costs have come down significantly, so there seems to be little reason for a "fuel surcharge." But we were all aware of the surcharges at the time we booked, so whether a charge is denominated as "fuel surcharge," "extra margin," or "a little extra," why should it matter?

I just received my bill from my trash service for the next three months, and they once again included a fuel surcharge. Should I protest?

One way or another, the cruise lines will collect the amounts that they want to. My understanding is that along with the elimination of the fuel surcharges they will be raising the fare.

It is a shame what people are doing. The service you get is part of the trip. Do not take it out on the crew when it is Princess that did it. If you want to get back at Princess book excursions on your own. Buy your drinks in port, put them in a bag, and sneak them on board. Gamble in the ports of call and not on the ship. Don't cruise princess anymore. What ever you do don't take it out on the crew. It is not their fault. Don't mess with their livelihood by not tipping them.

Princess may not have handled it the appropriate way but they did have to have a cut off date. I do think they picked a bad date and it is not fair for everyone. We are on the Grand on Jan 2, 2009 and were prepared to pay the charge. If we did not get it back, no big deal. I agreed to pay it at the time of booking and knew the rules.

If you want to get back at Princess do what I said above, or send letters to Princess, go on cruise web sites and complain. Hopefully they will hear you and you can get compensated. Don't ruin your trip over $9.00 / day, enjoy it.

If I hand a room stewart a $20 note on top of auto tips - whose going to know if he/she hands it in-

Are there cameras in our Rooms?

do the staff have to empty out their Pockets?

If you hand your room "steward" a $20 and you've left the auto tip on, he won't have to turn this in. So, this would be a moot point. It's only when the auto tip has been removed that the cash tips have to be turned in. If they don't do it and are caught they can lose their job.

I can understand taking money away from the line by changing excurisions. Removing tips from the crew that has no control over the fuel surcharge is UNCALLED for. Keep this in mind - Princess is not going to tip the crew!! Come on guys... get real.

My feeling is if you are too cheap to leave the auto tips on, then you probably should not be cruising in the first place. The tip is just pocket change to the cruise fare.

I'm not sure I understand the reason for the protest. Yes, fuel costs have come down significantly, so there seems to be little reason for a "fuel surcharge." But we were all aware of the surcharges at the time we booked, so whether a charge is denominated as "fuel surcharge," "extra margin," or "a little extra," why should it matter?

I just received my bill from my trash service for the next three months, and they once again included a fuel surcharge. Should I protest?

One way or another, the cruise lines will collect the amounts that they want to. My understanding is that along with the elimination of the fuel surcharges they will be raising the fare.

This is so true. I'm still paying trip charges and fuel surcharges to companies that provide services (HVAC, Electrical, Phone vendors, etc). My choice is to find someone not adding these charges and use them for service. Why do I not always do that? Because I like their product/service and want to continue to use them. As I said in my earlier post, and others have also said, they all knew the charge was there when they booked and paid for the cruise, so why all the fuss? I'm glad I'm not sailing with them...

Mike

Yep, this is the policy just like in Kindergarten nobody tattles on another kid. I have a lot of problem with the autotipping policy (is it really a tip or a sneaky way to increase prices without advertising a price increase) when the formula gives part of the autotip to members of the crew that do not provide me direct services. I wonder how many folks tip the dishwashers and cooks in restaurants, the maids supervisor in hotels, etc. We often reduce (or eliminate autotips) and than give even more money to those that provide direct services.

Hank

Just wanted to let you know Hank - I'm a server & every job I've had, at the end of every shift, I have to "tip-out" the kitchen, busser, hostess, bartender, etc. -- whoever was working, usually via a set percentage of my sales for the day. It may be different in the States (I live in Canada) but at least in my neck of the woods it's pretty common. It's a way to ensure that the people who don't get the tips upfront still get a little thank you from the customer, so to speak. So, technically, even if you don't know you're doing it, you are still tipping the dishwashers & cooks & all those others that have helped you by helping the server looking after you.

-stacey.

Archived