Live from the Emerald: Many pissed off passengers

Aussiemate

There are so many passengers mad at being ripped off out of their fuel charge rebate because one day after being low for weeks, Nov 4th oil spiked for one day only at 70.54 a barrel, to then drop to current levels and thus disqualified from the convoluted rebate system. Expressed is the concern that the rebate was not objectively assessed as promised and just a marketing ploy.

Folks are doing all sorts of things to deliberately getting back at princess. I've heard of many examples

* Removal of auto tipping totally - "management is to pay the service charge from my un-refunded fuel surcharge."

* self organising shore tours - canceling out anything originally booked through the company.

Local taxis have said that there are few people coming in off the ships - it seems more folks than usual are staying aboard and "eating up".

We are having a wonderful time - but have notice that service and food quality has declined significantly.

Carnival has handled the fuel surcharge horribly.

They have not been fair, reasonable, etc. etc.

I would not be surprised if the loss of good will costs them more than they have picked the pockets of their customers. (Can't believe some one called me a cheer leader erlier this week :))

We had the same problem on our Thanksgiving cruise, we only had one day according to Princess's formula above $70 and thus did not receive the refund/credit. While that was frustrating, I booked my cruise when the fuel surcharge was in full effect, and I viewed the possibility of a refund/credit as a bonus, since I knew about it when I booked and was OK with it at that time.

I've already booked my next cruise in the spring, and somehow expect the fuel surcharge to return and hit me then as well.

Mike

IMO, it's unfair to take the auto tips away from the hardworking crew. They didn't have any part in the decisions made by Princess.

Please keep us posted.

I completely agree. The crew have ne bearing whatsoever on fuel surcharges.

On our recent Emerald cruise, we did skip over all of the ship's tours and arranged tours ourselves. We saved way more money than the fuel surcharges cost us. I believe that it will be a growing trend.

IMO, it's unfair to take the auto tips away from the hardworking crew. They didn't have any part in the decisions made by Princess.

Please keep us posted.

I so agree on this one. So many think that 'stiffing the staff' after all their hard work will make an impact on the cruise line. Such a shame, I am so glad we are not on this sailing, sounds ridiculous to me, some of the things they are doing. :mad::mad: It's one thing to cancel tours if you feel that will make a statement, but to rob the staff of their tips, shame shame shame on the passengers that are doing this, as those staff members have absolutely nothing they can do about the fuel surcharge the cruise line is not refunding. Place blame where blame is do, but don't punish others for it. IMHO of coarse.

Although I can certainly empathize with the fuel charge problem, to take off the tips is just plain WRONG:mad::mad:

We have always tried to do our own tours when we can, cheaper and usually a much better tour. If people wanted to stay on the ship and eat.....well more power to them:rolleyes:

Hope the food quality is good when I board the Emerald...can't wait:)

I wonder as to how many of those cowards that stiffed the crew by keeping the tip money, gourging themselves at the buffet and taking Joe the Taxi Driver tour instead of the ship's had the courage to send a letter to Princess and voice their displeasure. It would seem plausible that if the entire ship were to send a letter asking for a commercial decision to credit them for the surcharge just because the oil price barely made it over the "limit" for one day, they would get some relief. But it's easier to complain then to face the problem with a solution.

In life things happen that we cannot control. A cruise is meant to be a relaxing and enjoyable experience. Too bad these passengers are focusing on the negative. Just be glad the stateroom attendants don't revolt against you and you are left to clean it yourselves. :mad:

aussie

sounds like a very adult way to deal with the matter

are they also calling for room service then leaving their room?

are they all refusing to have a good time on their trip?

thanks Jim, well put. It may be upsetting what Princess did, but to take it out on the crew is about as adult as the kids that call each other names in first grade. This goes for staying on ship, etc. The OP also mentioned service has gone down hill: well what does that have to do with the cost of fuel?

I think we all know or should, by now, cruising today and cruising 10 or 20 years ago is very different.

Nita

Just a point ! Removal of the Auto tipping doesnt mean that those people will withold it totaly! they may hand it to people as they would have done anyway.

No it doesn't, but remember that if auto-tips are removed any cash given to the staff must be turned in and it goes into the pool of tip money to be divided equally amongst the staff. The staff member given the cash cannot keep it if auto-tips have been removed.

What would be an appropriate way to protest such a measure by Princess? I agree that witholding tips is inappropriate, but what would be a good, and effective way of communicating your displeasure? Emphasis on effective. Filling out comment cards after the fact isn't going to do any good.

These cruise lines need to get the beancounters out of decision making. The fuel charge is stupid. Just raise the cost of the cruise. If the fuel cost goes down lower the price of the cruise. What a public relations nightmare they created. They need to hire people who have some common sense. Having a chart based on the cost of fuel. How stupid is that, but do not stiff the crew on tips they work a lot harder then the corporate boneheads do.

What would be an appropriate way to protest such a measure by Princess? I agree that witholding tips is inappropriate, but what would be a good, and effective way of communicating your displeasure? Emphasis on effective. Filling out comment cards after the fact isn't going to do any good.

You can voice your opinion all you want, whether to the purser, in a letter or email to Princess. But when this cruise was booked, these passengers knew they were going to pay the fuel surcharge. Protesting it now, after months of having their cruise paid in full, is the most childish thing I have ever read. There is no 'effective' way to protest something that you knew was there from the day you booked. IMHO!

Protest by either not booking on this cruise line, or cancel and move to another cruise line. It's not like this was a big surprise to all the passengers, they knew this ahead of time. :rolleyes:

You can voice your opinion all you want, whether to the purser, in a letter or email to Princess. But when this cruise was booked, these passengers knew they were going to pay the fuel surcharge. Protesting it now, after months of having their cruise paid in full, is the most childish thing I have ever read. There is no 'effective' way to protest something that you knew was there from the day you booked. IMHO!

Protest by either not booking on this cruise line, or cancel and move to another cruise line. It's not like this was a big surprise to all the passengers, they knew this ahead of time. :rolleyes:

On the whole, I agree with what you're saying. Technically, I'm "entitled" to a refund of the fuel surcharge for my Feb 7 sailing. But it's not showing up anywhere in my cruise personalizer. The reason, I think, is because it could be re-instituted at any time. I'll be very happy if I get it back, but I booked the cruise with the idea that I'd be paying it.

In this particular situation, I don't think cancelling or re-booking with another cruise line was an option, as the fee was re-instituted at the last minute. There's obviously some very unhappy people on this ship. My query was about the most effective way to get their point across. Maybe bitching up a storm is all they can really do.

These people don't deserve a cruise. They are mad at Princess so they want to stiff the crew? That makes no sense. There are a lot of things in life that are not fair but to turn around and "not be fair" to others is so wrong. I would tell them "to go home and grow up".

Well, I hope everyone is happy on the Emerald xmas cruise coming up on the 20th. I feel rather lucky as we had our fuel surcharge refunded as an onboard credit. But, had we not I wouldn't have cared less. I paid the price of the cruise and getting some money back was a bonus, but I didn't expect it. I don't think the fuel surcharge is going to break anyone.....otherwise you would probably wouldn't be going on a cruise vacation........or any vacation for that matter.

I will have to pay for luggage on the airline we are travelling which I think is also not necessary, but that's just the way it is and i'll have to suck it up.

Sounds like a bunch of folks bound and determined to undermine their vacation to me....I would have just smuggled 63$ worth of booze onboard if I were that determined to get back at the cruise line and have been done with it, adds up fast in the form of cocktails at the bar. Geez.

Just a point ! Removal of the Auto tipping doesnt mean that those people will withold it totaly! they may hand it to people as they would have done anyway.

Are you kidding??? After that post by the OP you think anyone will then give cash back to the ship in any way. Your living in a dream world. :rolleyes:

If you try really hard enough it is possible to have a horrible time.:rolleyes:

All the passengers planning, packing, unpacking, flying in awful airplanes, etc and etc. Then they resort to this and the ships personnel have little to no say.:eek:

Carnival has handled the fuel surcharge horribly.

They have not been fair, reasonable, etc. etc.

I would not be surprised if the loss of good will costs them more than they have picked the pockets of their customers. (Can't believe some one called me a cheer leader erlier this week :))

Hear hear, lets beat the crew down some more!!! :cool:

Archived