Do 5 and 7 yr. old boys REALLY have to wear a tie?

Life's a Beach!!

My sister's boys are 5 and 7. She asked me if they really need to wear a tie or does a clean pressed oxford shirt suffice. Let me know before we have to hit the snow covered streets to go shopping! Thanks.

NO! In fact as it is now no one needs a tie.... a shame but there it is.

Here's a tip, if it's helpful for you. We are taking our 2 & 4yr old on a cruise this January. We just bought a tux for each of them on Ebay. One, we paid $9, and the other was $8 plus shipping. You might be able to find a fancy outfit in there for cheaper than a pair of dress pants & short. They arrived, and fit wonderfully!

My 10 yr old son has been on 4 cruises with golf shirts and khaki pants. Don't worry so much about what the kids wear for dinner, it is for a very short amount of time. 7 day cruise-2 pants and 4 shirts is what we do. Make it easy.

We were on Carnival Valor in March and many of the men didn't wear ties, so not necessary at all for young boys. Most young boys had on golf type shirts or oxfords. You will see some people dressed formally on a couple of nights, a lot won't be, so don't sweat the small stuff. The main thing is for you and the children to enjoy the cruise.

Pam in KY

I'm 33, and you won't catch me wearing a tie. They're lucky I'm willing to put on a decent shirt, and slacks, and not jeans or shorts on formal nights. I paid for my cruise, and I want to be comfortable. I know some passengers think its oh-so-important to play dress up, but its not a priority for me while I'm on vacation, and the less I have to pack, the better.

Just dress nicely.

Do you know how to dress nicely?

That's all that's required.

If it helps, this is Me and What's-her-face at the Capt.'s Cocktail Party.

Hardly overdressed, but then no slip-slops either..:cool:

No tie.

DNH_and_JGH_on_Victory.jpg

We like to dress up for formal nights. I made a formal dress for my DGD6. She has worn it for two cruises. I let her wear a little makeup, fake fancy nails, glittery shoes, and a tiara. She was the darling of the Captain's party. Men were asking to have their picture taken with her. She looked like a little princess and loved it. I know, boys are different, but don't you want them to know how to dress and act in formal occasions? Then maybe they won't grow up to be one of those guys who won't wear a tie or take off his hat.

Sewut

I'm donning my flame retardent suit.

Right across the table from us were these great people from NC..

dressed very nicely

GraggGroup-123.jpg

and everyone was cool.

Attending the Captain's cocktail party is not mandatory,

and it's pretty much the only function you're expected to 'Dress Nicely' for.

I'm sure there were hundreds of other people on Carnival Victory that night

dressed as casually as they pleased,

probably up on Lido feeding from the trough as usual :D:D

Only Us Sophisticates:D :cool: (whatever!)

were in the aft lounge on Deck 5

which doesn't look like it could hold more than maybe 70-800 ppl max.

(and there are about 2,000 ppl on board)

No, they don't have to. However DS (7mo) will be wearing his ties on casual night and his tux on formal night. It's not required at all, but it just looks so nice. I also want him to be used to wearing things like that to proper occasions. Plus, it's so damn cute I'll use any occasion to put him in a suit! He even wore his Kenneth Cole sport coat & tie to meet santa last weekend :)

DSCF0285.jpg

Ties on kids are seldom seen. As reported earlier you can get a cheap tux on ebay and other places for kids. They often have a great time dressing up and having pictures taken. We bought full tuxes for $10. for grandsons for a wedding last summer. Took them on a cruise with us and they were the hit of the dinning room. They are still talking about it months later. I think it is the only thing they remember about the cruise. Best money we spent on the whole cruise.

hey Tapi,

see you are based in Memphis but live in ATL. My DH is based in Memphis too on the 320/CA. Are you pleased with the DL merger? We are so far. I was a F/A but retired in the 90's.

So far so good! Living in Atlanta we're thrilled to have full travel benefits on DL now! I saw the first A320 in Delta colors in MSP yesterday. It was my first reality check that the merger is truly happening!

As long as I can continue holding weekends off, I'll be happy! ;)

Just wanted to share our story about a young man and a tie on a cruise ship.

Our 6 year old son wanted to wear a suit and tie on formal night to be just like his dad. The 2 of them made for great pictures. Sent most of them to dh's mom. She loved to have formal pictures of her son and grandson.

Every place we went on the ship people wanted to take his picture. Up to this point I never ever even had the thought of him doing model type work. He's all boy, baseball and dinasours. Being there where so many people telling us how nice he looked and also asking who he modeled for, I sent some of his cruise pictures into a modeling agency here in Seattle and now he is doing print work for some very high profile stores.

Never hurts and in our case helped to wear a tie.

Like what was said, they don't have to dress up. However, having a great picture of them all dressed up would be cool as well. I know my parents dressed me up for a dinner when I was 6. I still have the picture and it is also hanging in all my families homes. Never know when one of those 'keepsake' pictures will be taken. Regardless, dress them how YOU want and not how people respond on a forum. If you dress them casual nobody will notice or have a problem what-so-ever but dress them up and they may be the hit of the dinner/cruise.

No worries.

Yes, polo shirts and khaki pants would be fine for little boys. But, we've been on two Carnival cruises and it's the little guys in shirts and ties--and even suits and tuxes---and little girls in their pretty, fancy dresses who get the nice compliments from other passengers. I always love the look on their faces when some stranger standing in line tells them they look so handsome or so pretty.

In Oct, we went to the Past Guest's party--and were told that it was

"dressy casual"---much like the dining room every night. I looked behind me and saw a couple dressed in shorts---their two small children in tee-shirts, shorts and flip-flops. I guess they didn't care what they looked like and just wanted to "be comfortable."

My 4yo wore his tie & his shirt & his vest & his nice pants... of course, it took me over a bleeping hour to convince him to put the thing on & leave it there & then giving him a 'time out' for not staying put cause all mommy wanted was one nice photo with her boys dressed up.... and (breath) never, ever again will I make that into such a fight. He wore it, the photos came out awful (Ms. photographer I'd thank you very much to not snap the formal photos while random people are in the background and we've already waited in line for 20 minutes!) He looked just fine without the tie & I got all worked up over it. Not worth the fight! Bottom line for me - If they like the tie, great - if not, not!

Archived