Looking for NEWS on VOYAGER-Galveston!!!

TEXASMUNK

Hi, Dave. Yes, we live in lively Lockhart. What tipped you off? ;) I really do appreciate your advice. Do you happen to know if we can use the overflow lounge as well as the CL if we are GS but not Diamond? If I recall correctly, last April the overflow lounge was near the Viking Crown Lounge and had a good view. Thanks again for all of your help. Enjoy your cruise.

Patti

If I get a chance to post before we get back I will....likely we will pass in port next Sunday...we have to get off quick to get DD to a birthday party in Houston.

I'd rather live in La Grange most of the time...except on Saturday afternoon or Sunday when I need something from a store otherwise not open all weekend in La Grange. Only an hour drive to Katy or Austin from the ranch so I could get anything I need any time, just have to make a bit of a drive.

Have a good cruise as well.

We like you are GS not yet Diamond...presume we can only use CL. If Overflow is set up as D and D+ its possible only the 33 or so suites will use the CL...can't wait to see. :D

See last post for taxi and bus prices in Costa Maya. Fins and Flippers is a 5 min walk from the cruise port to their pier. We did have to pass by some agressive vendors but we just kept saying Fins and Flippers and they left us alone. I know several people have posted about F&F on these boards, thats how we found out about them. You can also look them up online and see their website. It only costs $20 if you book online $25 if you wait till you get there. They have nice clean boats to take you out to their island no charge. The boat ride took about 5 min and they have boats going back and forth every 30 min. DH had to use the restroom and they took us right out to the island. We didn't have to wait for the boat to fill up. The snorkeling was great. The guide had worked there for about 8 years. The people working there were very friendly. If you decide to go there do take your towel from the ship because they don't have towel rentals and only have towels available to purchase for $25.

Thanks for posting about the towels. I probably wouldn't have remembered to bring one. Someone also stated in another thread that there is tax on the $20. that you pay. Also, do they take credit cards for anything else or should you just take cash?

Thanks

deb

Hi, Dave. Yes, we live in lively Lockhart. What tipped you off? ;) I really do appreciate your advice. Do you happen to know if we can use the overflow lounge as well as the CL if we are GS but not Diamond? If I recall correctly, last April the overflow lounge was near the Viking Crown Lounge and had a good view. Thanks again for all of your help. Enjoy your cruise.

Patti

On ships that do not already have a separate D&D+ and a CL all suite guests and D/D+ use whatever lounge is designated as the "overflow lounge". When an overflow lounge is necessary Martin (on Voyager) will either send you a notice (via cabin attendant or voice mail on your cabin phone) that the overflow lounge is in use and what the hours are. It's really very nice either way. Enjoy :)

Is the Taxi set price, or negotitated? If you would share price for taxi, I think family will do beach club in Costa Maya...maybe the place mentioned in Roatan instead... Personally in Roatan, I want to go to the dive resort I used in the past...snorkeling there was great.

Thanks for posting about the towels. I probably wouldn't have remembered to bring one. Someone also stated in another thread that there is tax on the $20. that you pay. Also, do they take credit cards for anything else or should you just take cash?

Thanks

deb

Yes, they do take credit cards. Don't remember paying tax. You can email them and ask if you book online. One more thing DO NOT FORGET INSECT REPELLENT WITH DEET!!! The sand fleas will bite leaving red dots all over your skin. You won't feel them but it sure makes your skin look bad! They didn't bother me when I used repellent.

Yes, they do take credit cards. Don't remember paying tax. You can email them and ask if you book online. One more thing DO NOT FORGET INSECT REPELLENT WITH DEET!!! The sand fleas will bite leaving red dots all over your skin. You won't feel them but it sure makes your skin look bad! They didn't bother me when I used repellent.

Thanks again for another great tip!

If one of you lucky souls who have sailed on her already out of Texas has some compasses they could email me, I would greatly appreciate it. We are traveling with a older, first time cruiser who is not sure what he is going to do all week, so I wanted to show him what is gonig to be available.

Thanks!

Please email them to tron2k1 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks again!

TXBubba, you've got mail!

When we were on the Voyoger T/A earlier this month, we had 6 & 8:30 dining and the Cleopatra's Lounge was the CL everyday from 5:30 - 8:30 and it was for D/D+ and suite patrons.

We are Platinum and had coupons in our book for credit for Internet Use and it was very slow and would cut you off for no reason at all and I had to make several trips to Purser's Desk for refunds and it cost us 55 cents per minute.

We did not go to the chili cook-off, but a lot of people were lined up to get the food. A friend of ours was on the pool deck and he said it was all excellent. Believe they had another cook-off, but don't remember what it was, but shrimp was involved in the dish.

Overall - Great cruise and I hope everyone is having a great time sailing the Voyager while it is in Texas where it belongs. We will be on the Voyager again on March 1st.

Bennye

When we were on the Voyoger T/A earlier this month, we had 6 & 8:30 dining and the Cleopatra's Lounge was the CL everyday from 5:30 - 8:30 and it was for D/D+ and suite patrons.

We are Platinum and had coupons in our book for credit for Internet Use and it was very slow and would cut you off for no reason at all and I had to make several trips to Purser's Desk for refunds and it cost us 55 cents per minute.

We did not go to the chili cook-off, but a lot of people were lined up to get the food. A friend of ours was on the pool deck and he said it was all excellent. Believe they had another cook-off, but don't remember what it was, but shrimp was involved in the dish.

Overall - Great cruise and I hope everyone is having a great time sailing the Voyager while it is in Texas where it belongs. We will be on the Voyager again on March 1st.

Bennye

Hi, Since you were just on board, can you clarify if they had trays in the Windjammer buffet to carry your plates on? Also, what were the movies that were shown in the room or in the screening room? Thanks

Just on for the Dec 14th cruise. No there are no trays in the windjammer. And as far as movies, I will try to remember as best as possible. Wanted, Stepbrothers, Get Smart, Hancock, The Dark Knight, and cant remember anymore. I can tell you that during the cruise the took some movies off and added newer ones.

I only now this b/c my brother and I were quarantine to our rooms for the Gastrointestonial Virus for 48 hrs and the ship gave us free movie rentals. There were several more, but I cant remember them.

Also, I just noticed that Voyager has yet to leave port. I wonder if they are still having problems with Coast Guard Inspection??? On Dec 14th we did not board till after 2pm b/c of inspection, I thought it was just due to the ship just getting back from Europe but I guess not.

Trays were removed becuase of the massive, overhwhelming waste of food.

If you have cruised before, you know what I mean....those that think it will be their last meal or there is a world shortage of a specific food stuff and they needed two or three plates to insure they do not starve....LOL. So no more trays....Massive cost savings, fleet wide, without reducing quality of any particular food offering.

Also, I just noticed that Voyager has yet to leave port. I wonder if they are still having problems with Coast Guard Inspection??? On Dec 14th we did not board till after 2pm b/c of inspection, I thought it was just due to the ship just getting back from Europe but I guess not.

Looks like they have left the dock and are headed up the channel to make the turn near the Pelican Island bridge......and then south to warmer waters and a fantastic time!!!!!

We are going on Feb. 1.......can't wait!

The whole time UT was driving for the final touchdown in the Tech game hubby kept saying "they are scoring too quickly, they need to use more time." If they had used the full 25 seconds between plays, we'd be in Florida instead of Arizona. Oh well, probably saved a couple of thousand in travel expenses to Florida. A good excuse to upgrade to a balcony on the next two trans-Atlantic voyages.

On the trans-Atlantic they looped the (September) San Diego/Oakland game for two full days on ESPN on the ship. When they got bored with that, they looped the history of soccer. Even when we got to Miami, no football or basketball--just soccer and a little rugby. Hubby and friends were hot footing it to internet cafes all along the way to find out scores. Hopefully, it will be better for y'all.

Tucker in Texas

LOL. My hubby too on the TA was crazed without his sports. The football game they replayed confused us both. The soccer show was interesting the first time!

Trays were removed becuase of the massive, overhwhelming waste of food.

If you have cruised before, you know what I mean....those that think it will be their last meal or there is a world shortage of a specific food stuff and they needed two or three plates to insure they do not starve....LOL. So no more trays....Massive cost savings, fleet wide, without reducing quality of any particular food offering.

I can't even remember when they did away with the trays. just makes folks pile their plates higher & make more trips back!!!!;)

Where do you find that link to the Compasses? Many thanks:)

They appear to be the ones I scanned from our 1/13/08 cruise. I tried attaching my copies, but they are too big.....not sure how Fighterone linked to them, but at the bottom of his post, you can click on the word Compass and it will take you to them.

I, also, noticed that they don't have the larger oval plates anymore but dinner-size round plates. Miss the oval plates because they made decent "trays" to take something back to the cabin. As a stockholder, I hope they are saving a ton of money not having trays and I don't blame them for taking them up. Look at all the money the airlines saved by just taking the olive out of salads (lol).

The other thing I noticed on the last TA was that they weren't coming around asking what you wanted to drink in the WJ like they have in the past. If you leave your food halfway through a meal to get something more to drink without someone "guarding" it, it will be gone when you get back. Those bus boys were fast in clearing tables!

Husband was disappointed they didn't have lemonade on the crossing. Fruit punch didn't get it for him. However, once in Miami, it appeared.

If you like French's yellow mustand on your burger/hot dog, bring it up from the Promenade Cafe as he was unable to locate any in the WJ.

Tucker in Texas

I'm just home today from the Dec. 21st sailing of the Voyager. Overall, I'd give the cruise an A-.

Pros:

*Activities for the sailing

1. Holiday on Ice was spectacular - if that didn't bring a tear to your eye..you are a scrooge

2. Christmas carolling on the Royal Promenade with all the passengers and singers

3. Cruise director reading "Twas the night before Christmas"

*Service

1. Our asst. waiter and cabin steward became quick friends and made us feel like we were honored guests.

2. Plenty of waiters around with fast service

*Weather

1. With the exception of the first day, it was great weather all the way around.

*Portafino

1. What regular dining room food used to be like! Delicious!

*Cabin

1. Junior Suite with more than enough storage for 4 people and we only had two in our cabin. 1/3 of the cabinets had nothing in them!

2. The tub!

Cons:

1. Our Junior Suite room temperature was never quite cool enough for us? Not hot, just not cold like we like it.

2. Room service took 2 hours for a bowl of soup and hot tea?

3. Dining room food was good, never great and sometimes poor.

Just curious....has anyone (besides me) considered or brought their own perculator to make thier own coffee in the cabin? It seems to me it would solve a lot of AM issues if I just make my own coffee and bring it up to the WJ in my own insulated mug from home...I already bring my own cream in the small single size international delight creamers that you can now buy in the store. Since we live 45 mins from the pier, no luggage issues with bringing extra items.

I'm just home today from the Dec. 21st sailing of the Voyager. Overall, I'd give the cruise an A-.

Pros:

*Activities for the sailing

1. Holiday on Ice was spectacular - if that didn't bring a tear to your eye..you are a scrooge

2. Christmas carolling on the Royal Promenade with all the passengers and singers

3. Cruise director reading "Twas the night before Christmas"

*Service

1. Our asst. waiter and cabin steward became quick friends and made us feel like we were honored guests.

2. Plenty of waiters around with fast service

*Weather

1. With the exception of the first day, it was great weather all the way around.

*Portafino

1. What regular dining room food used to be like! Delicious!

*Cabin

1. Junior Suite with more than enough storage for 4 people and we only had two in our cabin. 1/3 of the cabinets had nothing in them!

2. The tub!

Cons:

1. Our Junior Suite room temperature was never quite cool enough for us? Not hot, just not cold like we like it.

2. Room service took 2 hours for a bowl of soup and hot tea?

3. Dining room food was good, never great and sometimes poor.

Wow! Are you ever on the ball!!! Thanks for posting so quickly......

Can you tell us the time for main dining? I have heard anywhere from 5:30 - 6:15 PM.......hoping for the 6-6:15 time slot......

Wow! Are you ever on the ball!!! Thanks for posting so quickly......

Can you tell us the time for main dining? I have heard anywhere from 5:30 - 6:15 PM.......hoping for the 6-6:15 time slot......

Dinner is 5:30! Pretty early for port days!

Coffee pots are illegal! but then so is booze :/

Dinner is 5:30! Pretty early for port days!

Thanks for that info.....even though that isn't what I wanted to hear!

Wow! That is really early for two of the port days....since departure on those days is 6 PM. I know passengers have to be onboard by 5:30, but to be in the dining room at 5:30 means being in the shower by 4:30 - 4:45......yikes!

Have you heard anything about the My Time Dining coming to Voyager? I hear it's coming on Feb 1 (our sail date).....that's not ideal, since you don't necessarily get the same waiters every night, but it may be perferable to dinner at either 5:30 or 8:00 PM......

Maybe that's the whole point.....to make MTD more appealing!

Archived