Why I buy trip insurance

AAL

We are scheduled to depart on the Veendam on Sunday. Unfortunately, we fly through Seattle on our way to Tampa. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that flights will be running on schedule again by Friday. We are flying to Florida a day early, and if need be could meet the ship in Key West on Monday, but so many flights have been delayed already that I'm not sure that we could rebook and get seats on Saturday or Sunday. So I'm glad we have trip insurance!

I feel bad for folks who are stuck in an airport and still trying to reunite with their loved ones for Christmas. It makes missing a vacation seem pretty minor in comparison.

I try not to worry about things over which I have no control -- like the weather and flight delays. Our bags are packed and there's nothing more I can do except enjoy Christmas. Maybe we'll be watching New Year's Eve fireworks in the warm Caribbean, or maybe we'll be here in our parkas!

Yes... Mother Nature can be cruel at times!

Please be sure to post a review of your trip - including the potential flight nightmare!

We've booked a February sailing, and I'll have lots of questions!

Bon Voyage!

We are scheduled to depart on the Veendam on Sunday. Unfortunately, we fly through Seattle on our way to Tampa. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that flights will be running on schedule again by Friday. We are flying to Florida a day early, and if need be could meet the ship in Key West on Monday, but so many flights have been delayed already that I'm not sure that we could rebook and get seats on Saturday or Sunday. So I'm glad we have trip insurance!

Read your policy carefully to see if it covers weather related delays. Not all do, plus many have a 24 hour wait period.

Seattle is in a mess and I am frantic. No, not a cruise- a baby! We have a grandchild due out there at any minute, my son and DIL are snowed into their house in the city and streets are almost impassable especially with all the hills. More snow due tonight, all day tomorrow and Christmas Day. They are not used to snow of any kind in Seattle and the city is shut down. They may need 911 to come and deliver our little guy!

Seattle is in a mess and I am frantic. No, not a cruise- a baby! We have a grandchild due out there at any minute, my son and DIL are snowed into their house in the city and streets are almost impassable especially with all the hills. More snow due tonight, all day tomorrow and Christmas Day. They are not used to snow of any kind in Seattle and the city is shut down. They may need 911 to come and deliver our little guy!

Congrats and interesting that snow in Seattle is something new. What about one of those snowplow companies to get them to the hospital, or maybe Seattle does not have them?

Congratulations Peaches, and please try not to worry. Seattle DOES get snow, just not every year and we haven't had this much in quite some time. Most of us are in fact still getting around, I'm heading to work in a few minutes, as is my DH. Our main concern is ICE, because we're supposed to get a rain/snow mix over Christmas and then if the roads freeze...but there is a warming trend coming the end of the week.

If your son and DIL are snowed in, maybe they can arrange some emergency transportation. Our son and DIL are flying in from LA in an hour and their flight shows only 20 minutes late right now.

Again, congratulations. In this case maybe hoping your grandbaby will arrive a few days late would be a good thing?

Congratulations Peaches, and please try not to worry. Seattle DOES get snow, just not every year and we haven't had this much in quite some time. Most of us are in fact still getting around, I'm heading to work in a few minutes, as is my DH. Our main concern is ICE, because we're supposed to get a rain/snow mix over Christmas and then if the roads freeze...but there is a warming trend coming the end of the week.

If your son and DIL are snowed in, maybe they can arrange some emergency transportation. Our son and DIL are flying in from LA in an hour and their flight shows only 20 minutes late right now.

Again, congratulations. In this case maybe hoping your grandbaby will arrive a few days late would be a good thing?

I think today they probably would be okay (today is my DIL's birthday by coincidence), but they are worried about the next 2 days with more snow and ice coming. They are in Ballard, NW Seattle, and have had a probably getting to I-5 or the main local artery to get down to UW Swedish. We already have one grandchild who was born on Christmas morning and I had thought it would be great to have another, but we'll just cross our fingers and hope for a safe delivery and not ask for anymore this time. Plus they have a 3 yr old at home this time to worry about, too. The other grandparents are flying in from Alaska Christmas morning and I will feel better when I know they have been able to get into Seatac. Being 3000 miles away doesn't help either! :eek:

I think today they probably would be okay (today is my DIL's birthday by coincidence), but they are worried about the next 2 days with more snow and ice coming. They are in Ballard, NW Seattle, and have had a probably getting to I-5 or the main local artery to get down to UW Swedish. We already have one grandchild who was born on Christmas morning and I had thought it would be great to have another, but we'll just cross our fingers and hope for a safe delivery and not ask for anymore this time. Plus they have a 3 yr old at home this time to worry about, too. The other grandparents are flying in from Alaska Christmas morning and I will feel better when I know they have been able to get into Seatac. Being 3000 miles away doesn't help either! :eek:

I can understand! (my daughter used to live in Ballard, great area!) Please let us know how it goes. We're heading out the door now, DH (who comes from your great state of GA) is taking me to work! :p

I can understand! (my daughter used to live in Ballard, great area!) Please let us know how it goes. We're heading out the door now, DH (who comes from your great state of GA) is taking me to work! :p

LOL/ Would he mind carrying a VERY pregnant gal down a steep set of icy steps to the hospital to his car if I need him?! ;)

Have you called your airline to see if you can get rerouted through somewhere else?

Please be aware that catching up in Key West won't be an option if you miss the ship, you'd have to wait until the first foreign port.

Please be aware that catching up in Key West won't be an option if you miss the ship, you'd have to wait until the first foreign port.

Captain Albert said in his blog that the passengers that missed the Veendam last Sunday would board in Key West on Monday, so I think it is an option.

Captain Albert said in his blog that the passengers that missed the Veendam last Sunday would board in Key West on Monday, so I think it is an option.

So HAL's going to waive the $300 per person fine for violating the PVSA for boarding in Key West? I would check with HAL (and not just Captain Albert's blog) before you make the assumption they will allow you to violate a US law by boarding there. At the very least be prepared to pay the $300 fine.

I am pleased to report that the Sea-Tac airport is back to normal, and our flight arrived in Orlando on Friday as scheduled. We're driving to Tampa today after a brief stop to see holiday decorations at Disney World, and departing on the Veendam tomorrow. Will post a review when we return.

Happy New Year!

So HAL's going to waive the $300 per person fine for violating the PVSA for boarding in Key West? you make the assumption they will allow you to violate a US law by boarding there.

Could you please explain this in more detail for non-U.S. citizens? I was also thinking this might be an option, in worst case scenario, for Jan. 11 sailing out of Tampa.

I am pleased to report that the Sea-Tac airport is back to normal, and our flight arrived in Orlando on Friday as scheduled.

Congratulations! :) Have a great cruise; I'll be looking forward to your report when you return.

Since I'm sailing on the Veendam in February I'm interested in everything going on about the ship! :D

Could you please explain this in more detail for non-U.S. citizens? I was also thinking this might be an option, in worst case scenario, for Jan. 11 sailing out of Tampa.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act is a US law that governs non-US flagged cruise ships (and other shipping as well) when the passengers both leave and return to a US port.

In this case the non-US flagged ship, the Veendam, sails from, and returns to, Tampa. The law provides that in this case the ship must stop at a "near" foreign port.

If passengers were to board in one US port (say, Key West), and disembark in another (say, Tampa), the ship needs to have stopped at a "distant" foreign port.

Since the Veendam stops only at a "near" foreign port, it would be a violation of the PVSA to board passengers in Key West and let them disembark in Tampa. There are fines attached to violations of the law.

Thanks very much RuthC for explaining this law. I will be flying in a day early to board the Veendam and hopefully this will be enough to avoid this problem. It is just that the weather delays experience by many this past week got me thinking that I should have booked a flight 2 days early.

Thanks very much RuthC for explaining this law. I will be flying in a day early to board the Veendam and hopefully this will be enough to avoid this problem. It is just that the weather delays experience by many this past week got me thinking that I should have booked a flight 2 days early.

You're welcome. And I know exactly what you mean!

I'm going down two days in advance for my January cruise, and am starting to wonder if that would be enough if we get more storms like we had a week ago.

I can go down only one day in advance for my February cruise, and really can get worried over it.

Ruth, that was the best "concise" explanation of the PSVA I have ever come across! Thanks for making something seemingly complicated into something easy to understand!

Thank you for saying so. :)

Can you tell I was a staff trainer for my agency?

I'm flying down to Ft. Lauderdale 2 days early for my January cruise and after all the delays this week, I too am hoping that's enough time. Leaving out of New York these past two winters and having rough weather for a day wasn't as bad as missing the ship.

Archived