What area of Ft lauderdale is good and what is not??

thesawch

The Ramada is actually on the west side of 95 on 84.... I don't think it should be as bad as the other poster said... I don't like 84 east of 95 but west of it there is a really gorgeous marina appartment community that I actually leased to some customer's of mine. (I'm a Real Estate Agent)I liked it.

The map shows the Ramada is near Secret Woods Nature Center?

The map shows the Ramada is near Secret Woods Nature Center?

I have never visted that park but I found the site for it:

http://www.broward.org/parks/st.htm

I really don't know what everyone is going on about as far as I know that side of 84 is now called Marina Mile Rd. and I don't think its bad, I'll take a drive by there on my way home from work tomorrow and go check out the place for you.

I'll post about it tomorrow night.

I have never visted that park but I found the site for it:

http://www.broward.org/parks/st.htm

I really don't know what everyone is going on about as far as I know that side of 84 is now called Marina Mile Rd. and I don't think its bad, I'll take a drive by there on my way home from work tomorrow and go check out the place for you.

I'll post about it tomorrow night.

Thanks Stephanie, but don't trouble yourself, I'm not worried. STEPHANIE!!!!!!!!!!!! I just looked at your signature, you're on Navigator when we are, 1-22! Go to the roll call, there's a bunch of us chatting and setting up a meeting place on boarding day.This is way I'm in FLL 1-21, to get on Navigator 1-22!

What about the Quality Inn & Suites on Hollywood blvd. In hollywood-$rate of 96.oo per nite on Hotwire? How is that neighborhood?:confused:

If you havn't booked it yet don't. If not close to the highway its west on Hollywood and that area is getting run down. Not dangerous or anything but its all pretty old... try to find something a bit closer to the highway.

Thanks Stephanie, but don't trouble yourself, I'm not worried. STEPHANIE!!!!!!!!!!!! I just looked at your signature, you're on Navigator when we are, 1-22! Go to the roll call, there's a bunch of us chatting and setting up a meeting place on boarding day.This is way I'm in FLL 1-21, to get on Navigator 1-22!

I've posted on the roll call and am planning on meeting everyone in schooner at 3. There seems to be alot going on maybe my introduction post was overlooked. I'll post again. :)

In February of 2008 we were taken advantge of by the Ramada Inn in Fort Lauderdale. We booked a room some six months in advance of our cruise. We normally fly in the day before the cruise. A major snowstorm hit the northeast. Southwest Airlines had cancelled our flight out of Manchester, NH Airport which was open, but our connecting flght in Philly was closed. A terrific Southwest ticket agent got us on a late flight to Tampa where we slept in the airport and then got us on a flight to FLL the next morning where we were among the first on our ship!

Now for the "folks" at Ramada Inn. We immediately called them at 2 p.m. when our flight was cancelled and explained our situation. Evidently the front desk clerk has never been through a snow storm and insisted that we would still be charged $187 as we had not given them 24 hours notice. We asked to speak to a supervisor and he explained that she would not in until 4 p.m. We called every hour until late at night leaving numerous messages that were never returned. We called the next day and got nowhere as well. We called the Ramada home office and got nowhere. We sent e-mails and snailmails and never got the courtesy of a response. We even had VISA put a hold on the charge, but eventually they denied our challenge. Morale of the story, never, ever will I book or stay at a Ramada Inn again! Even though I had done business with them many times in the past!

We're booked at the Hilton Garden in Dania for a park/sleep/cruise package. Is this a decent place to stay for a night, or should I look elsewhere?

We almost stayed there but got a better deal at Plantation Renaissance. You may want to post on the Florida sub-board of the East Coast Departures board under North American Home ports. A woman named Becquia (sic?), who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, often posts information about hotels and restaurants in the area.

The Marriot Harborbeach Hotel and Spa. (When I'm lucky enough to find my Mr. Right we will be married here!) This hotel is right on the beach It has a amazing pool, elegant yet welcoming loby a great restaurant and even has waiters to come down on the sand and bring you your drinks.

Glad to hear your endorsement of this hotel; we stayed there last spring when we were taking our cruise to the Western Caribbean. We had booked a regular room just using our Marriott points, but the rooms were sold out, so they upgraded us to a beautiful suite on a high floor, at no charge. Living room, dining room, separate huge bedroom, four balconies on two sides of the hotel, facing the beach and the pool area - I wasn't sure I wanted to leave the hotel to go on the cruise! :p

Glad to hear your endorsement of this hotel; we stayed there last spring when we were taking our cruise to the Western Caribbean. We had booked a regular room just using our Marriott points, but the rooms were sold out, so they upgraded us to a beautiful suite on a high floor, at no charge. Living room, dining room, separate huge bedroom, four balconies on two sides of the hotel, facing the beach and the pool area - I wasn't sure I wanted to leave the hotel to go on the cruise! :p

I'm so glad that you had such a great experience. For us locals its one of the nicest "Beach/Cabbana Clubs" around. You can pay for a family membership to have access to their ammenities pool, spa, beach ect as if you were a guest of the hotel and I wish we still had the membership. After four years and continual price increases we choose not to renew, but I sure do miss it! I would go every weekend and sit pool side and pretend I was on vacation even though I was 5 minutes away from home.

For those still wondering about the Ramada Airport in FLL, here's the link to the East Coast Board and someone asking about it & a response from someone there over Thanksgiving.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=891941

Thanks for the link, but I guess I'll stay there, its only 1 night from about 9:30 pm to 11 am the next morning! I didn't use Orbitz but booked directly and it's not that cheap! I don't want to cancel my ressie now and chance losing a room. They think only 2 are coming when in fact it'll be 4.

We almost stayed there but got a better deal at Plantation Renaissance. You may want to post on the Florida sub-board of the East Coast Departures board under North American Home ports. A woman named Becquia (sic?), who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, often posts information about hotels and restaurants in the area.

Thanks for the info about the board; I'll go check it out. Does the deal at Plantation Renaissance include parking for your car while on the cruise, or just the room?

Thanks for the info about the board; I'll go check it out. Does the deal at Plantation Renaissance include parking for your car while on the cruise, or just the room?
I never checked about parking as we always park at the port. DH is pretty anxious to get on the road and wants his car right there.

I never checked about parking as we always park at the port. DH is pretty anxious to get on the road and wants his car right there.

Hey Sherry, when you're on Indy see if you can snoop out the rumor of who's retiring from Indy...Capt Ole Johan Gronhaug is supposed to be going to Indy but I don't know when. And Capt Bjorn on Majesty wasn't sure anymore if Capt Rune was relieving him in January as there's a retirement on Grandeur. But that could just be someone moving from Grandeur to Indy if Remo is retiring. It's a never ending vicious circle! Anyway, see if you hear anything of Capt Remo retiring.

Okay, I have been reading all these posts and they contain great information. So, I decided to ask some Floridarites (how would you spell that?) about The Grande.

We are staying there in March. We will take a taxi from the airport. I want to stop at a liquor store, and just fast food for dinner. Our dd just wants to swim. I thought we could get food and just eat by the pool.

Do the taxis have a problem with "running our errands" , or do you think the bar/rest area by the pool will be adequate for an 9 yo? How is the water in the pools in March? Cold, or warm yet? Lastly, what do yall think about the Grande? It gets good reviews! Yes, I love Tripadvisor-- my favorite web site right behind Cruise Critic..

Thanks for yall's help!!

Okay, I have been reading all these posts and they contain great information. So, I decided to ask some Floridarites (how would you spell that?) about The Grande.

We are staying there in March. We will take a taxi from the airport. I want to stop at a liquor store, and just fast food for dinner. Our dd just wants to swim. I thought we could get food and just eat by the pool.

Do the taxis have a problem with "running our errands" , or do you think the bar/rest area by the pool will be adequate for an 9 yo? How is the water in the pools in March? Cold, or warm yet? Lastly, what do yall think about the Grande? It gets good reviews! Yes, I love Tripadvisor-- my favorite web site right behind Cruise Critic..

Thanks for yall's help!!

I don't think a taxi driver would mind stopping at a store for you as long as you don't mind the meter running while you do your shopping :D. There is Total Wine & Spirits on 17th Street which is on the way to The Grand if you want to swing by there.

The hotel is nice and you will enjoy it there. The pool bar is fine to be with your daughter. You can probably just order some sandwiches there and not worry about the fast food joints or ask the front desk for some places that deliver.

I think by March, if the pool isn't heated, it won't be chilly. We can get some cold fronts move in and that brings down the water temps big time!!!!

Does anyone know anything about the Comfort Inn, Cruiseport Hotel? I don't see many reviews on this hotel. They do have a free shuttle from airport and to the cruiseport and seem to be located in an area close to shopping. They are about 2 miles from Hollywood.

Any information would be appreciated.

Okay Not a Horrible Choice at all! You are right next door to where I want to get married. Litteraly across from The Marriot I mentioned in my 1st post. Great location, right on A1A.

Now I have never been inside the hotel so I can't tell you what the rooms will be like but your right on Fort Lauderdale beach so I'm sure it will be nice. I just checked the pictures on-line and it looks beautiful! Enjoy..and at the going rate of $199/night and the fact that your getting it with your Airmiles Hell Yah! Job Well Done!

I made a reservation for two nites post, at the Montreal Inn on Balboa St. in Hollywood. From their web site, it appears to be a former motel near the beach. It appears to be small/quiet, and it looks to be a quick cab ride to The Rustic Inn. Do you know anything about the area?

I made a reservation for two nites post, at the Montreal Inn on Balboa St. in Hollywood. From their web site, it appears to be a former motel near the beach. It appears to be small/quiet, and it looks to be a quick cab ride to The Rustic Inn. Do you know anything about the area?

Its going to be about a 10-15 minute drve west on Griffen from the hotel to Rustic inn... I am not familiar with the area but anything off A1A is normally a good bet. Sorry I couldnt be more help as I don't go down to Hollywood Beach very often. It's a quieter beach.

Does anyone know anything about the Comfort Inn, Cruiseport Hotel? I don't see many reviews on this hotel. They do have a free shuttle from airport and to the cruiseport and seem to be located in an area close to shopping. They are about 2 miles from Hollywood.

Any information would be appreciated.

I dont know anything about the hotel but its a good location close to the highway and maybe 15 minute drive to airport/port everglades. Right next store is a huge shopping plaza called Oakwood. They have a bunch of shops and restaurants as well as a movie theater. I like it around there. If your traveling w/ children there is a Dave & Busters in the shopping center which is a restaurant/arcade.

Archived