What area of Ft lauderdale is good and what is not??

thesawch

Stayed at the Yankee Clipper last Feb. for 2 nights pre-cruise and we were happy with the place. I think I used priceline. Very short ride to port, we shared the cab with someone else who happened to be going to port that morning. It is also a short cab ride to Las Olas Blvd for night life/dinner.

Happy Cruising~~~

~Jo~

Forgot to add, breakfast was very pricey in the dining room, you must go out to eat or grab stuff in the little shop in the lobby, they have bagels, pastries, yogurt, fruits and a coffee station in there.

I live in Ft Lauderdale and know where that hotel is. I would be VERY skeptical about staying there. It is not a nice property and alot of less then savory people hang out there (State Road 84 is not known for decent hotels)!!!

The problem I've found with tripadvisor (or any site posting reviews) is that its a place where people go solely to complain. I had a hotel booked in San Pedro post-cruise for 2006 and posters here said San Pedro is a dangerous industrial place and that was so wrong! If we had believed them my husband and I would never have walked the waterfront and found the fireboat station that's a historical landmark or seen Vision of the Seas leaving again. I had booked a hotel pre-cruise in Miami and reviewers at tripadvisor were dead against it. But twice now, we've found the property good, we walked around the area at night, and even left our car there for a park 'n cruise. I'll review the Ramada at tripadvisor though and I'll let you know what I decide.

We have rooms at the Comfort Suites which does Airport and Port free transportation. It is 1800 S. Federal. We picked it for points we are using. We are planning 2 days pre-cruise---and planning on hanging out at Los Olas.

Can we do water taxi to Los Olas???

Thanks

Amy

The problem I've found with tripadvisor (or any site posting reviews) is that its a place where people go solely to complain. I had a hotel booked in San Pedro post-cruise for 2006 and posters here said San Pedro is a dangerous industrial place and that was so wrong! If we had believed them my husband and I would never have walked the waterfront and found the fireboat station that's a historical landmark or seen Vision of the Seas leaving again. I had booked a hotel pre-cruise in Miami and reviewers at tripadvisor were dead against it. But twice now, we've found the property good, we walked around the area at night, and even left our car there for a park 'n cruise. I'll review the Ramada at tripadvisor though and I'll let you know what I decide.

I agree somewhat.....there have been some negative reviews on tripadvisor for hotels we have stayed and loved but the overall reviews were positive with a couple of bad reviews......

In this case (the Ramada "airport" which isn't at the airport), the reviews are generally correct. I live in the area and have drivien by this hotel. It is not a nice property and the people that mull around the area from what I have seen are questionable.....I would not stay there and I am not a hotel snob...I would be scared to do so.

All right you Ft Lauderdale-nites....We are booked at the Renaissance Jan 16th and want to go out to eat at a nice seafood place for dinner and just kick around a little. Any suggestions that are close by?? Oh yea, we are celebrating our 20th anniversary!!

Big Al

15th Street Fisheries is a local restaurant famous for their seafood and it is right on the intracoastal so great water views. There is a casual dining room downstairs and a more formal dining room upstairs. It would be a very short taxi ride from the Renaissance (if you are staying at the one on 17th Street). They might have a website if you google it....

All right you Ft Lauderdale-nites....We are booked at the Renaissance Jan 16th and want to go out to eat at a nice seafood place for dinner and just kick around a little. Any suggestions that are close by?? Oh yea, we are celebrating our 20th anniversary!!

Big Al

It's about a 15 minutes drive from where you are staying, but Sunfish Grill (2761 East Oakland Park Blvd, Ft. Lauderdale) has an AMAZING and ever changing menu. It consistantly gets high marks from the local food critics, and is Zagat rated. If you go, however, make sure you save room for the deserts- They are absolutely incredible.

The owner, Erika, is there every night, and makes sure that everyone who dines there has an extraordinary experience

The Ramada is actually on the west side of 95 on 84.... I don't think it should be as bad as the other poster said... I don't like 84 east of 95 but west of it there is a really gorgeous marina appartment community that I actually leased to some customer's of mine. (I'm a Real Estate Agent)I liked it.

Courtyard Marriots are my new favorite mid-priced hotel and the one in Dania I would have to agree is gorgeous. If they have a free shuttle I think that would be a great place to stay if your not looking to be on the beach or middle of town. Everything is only about a 5-10 minute cab ride away anyways.

and Ms VenusLeo....come to Denver any time you want! I adore it here.

I'll tell you all of places to go. :D

KJBBrett, I have actually been there and fell in love. 16th street Mall and LoDo. Did 1-70 west into Glenwood Springs through Keystone and Breckenridge and back and then up to Boulder. Stayed in Cherry Creek?? I think was the name.

Everyday I am on Careerbuilder looking for a job in Denver and on rent.com daydreamining of my appartment in the city..... I have a travel book of Denver on my desk at work to push me to sell more. One day I will get there and when I do I'll let you know!

KJBBrett, I have actually been there and fell in love. 16th street Mall and LoDo. Did 1-70 west into Glenwood Springs through Keystone and Breckenridge and back and then up to Boulder. Stayed in Cherry Creek?? I think was the name.

Everyday I am on Careerbuilder looking for a job in Denver and on rent.com daydreamining of my appartment in the city..... I have a travel book of Denver on my desk at work to push me to sell more. One day I will get there and when I do I'll let you know!

15th Street Fisheries is much closer to the Renaissance and then you also have Bimini Boatyard right on 17th as well both have amazing seafood and both have beautiful water views although neither of them are direcly on the intracoastal they are on large deep water canals that connect to the intracoastal. Oakland is a good 15 minutes north. Also, I'm sorry but I have to say it.... but the food might be good at Sunfish but they do NOT treat their employes well at all.. and I say this from personal experience. I would never give those people a dime of my money!

Water taxi to Las Olas question:

Your staying on Federal Highway...there is not any water there. You would have to drive east to the intracoastal to get a water taxi to take you south to Las Olas and then its about a mile hike inland on Las Olas to get you to the shops/restaurant portion of the street... your better off taking a taxi if your just trying to get to Las Olas. Now the water taxi is a lovely trip and I would advise to take it, but not as a mode of transportation.

buzymom: There are three Hilton's in Fort Lauderdale. One on the beach, one on griffen rd, and one on 17th street.. which one did you book?

As far as your mom is concerned. I would sugest the Marriot Courtyard in Dania. It's right next to the tri-rail station (although Im not sure if Amtrack uses the same station) its 5 minutes by cab to the airport and there is a restaurant in the Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shops next door called Islamorada Fish Company. Shopping will be a short cab ride. KJBBrett gave their review of the hotel within this post. Ive been inside too the rooms are great. And by the way congratulations on your recovery, your 50th your mom's 75th and your son's 18th!!!!! That's a heck of alot to celebrate!! Enjoy!

BTW: How the heck do you delete posts??? I realized that I need to consolidate and now I have like the same post 12 times!!!! Pls forgive my board hogging it was unintentional!

The Ramada is actually on the west side of 95 on 84.... I don't think it should be as bad as the other poster said... I don't like 84 east of 95 but west of it there is a really gorgeous marina appartment community that I actually leased to some customer's of mine. (I'm a Real Estate Agent)I liked it.

Courtyard Marriots are my new favorite mid-priced hotel and the one in Dania I would have to agree is gorgeous. If they have a free shuttle I think that would be a great place to stay if your not looking to be on the beach or middle of town. Everything is only about a 5-10 minute cab ride away anyways.

We have actually made reservations at the Courtyard in Dania for our precruise stay in March for one night....have never stayed there before so I appreciate your feedback! I do know that they have a free shuttle service....at least that is what I was told when i made the reservations! Don't know a whole lot else about the place tho.....I did read about a Fishing museum close by....maybe in the pro bass shop or near it???? Know anything about it? We have a large group coming down and I know my boys would really enjoy that while the girls just hang out at the pool! What is the restaurant you were talking about that is near there?

We have actually made reservations at the Courtyard in Dania for our precruise stay in March for one night....have never stayed there before so I appreciate your feedback! I do know that they have a free shuttle service....at least that is what I was told when i made the reservations! Don't know a whole lot else about the place tho.....I did read about a Fishing museum close by....maybe in the pro bass shop or near it???? Know anything about it? We have a large group coming down and I know my boys would really enjoy that while the girls just hang out at the pool! What is the restaurant you were talking about that is near there?

The Fishing Hall of Fame and Outdoor World/Bass Pro are two seperate buildings. The kids will love the fishing hall of fame they have Virtual Fishing all kinds of really neat things to read/learn and look at! My youngers sisters 14 and 11 love it and I have to say I enjoyed it myself.

Outdoor World aka Bass Pro Shops is an gigantic store that has everything you could ever want for doing anything outdoors from camping hunting fishing ect. They have a huge fresh water aquarium and a kiddie/arcade shooting range. They have clothes and swim suites and shoes ect. Attached to the store is a restaurant called Islamorada Fish Co. They have a sit down restaurant and a sushi bar. Both are quite good but I would recomend taking a 2 minute taxi drive (might even be able to walk) across Griffen road to Rustic Inn. This place has amazing sea food and is known for it's Maryland Blue Claw crabs. It's great for the kids as they give everyone little wooden hammers and when they sing happy birthday to someone everyone bangs their hammers on the tables which are covered in newspaper. They have pasta and chicken steaks and seafood.They also have outside dinning on the canal.

I am just wondering what areas of Ft Lauderdale are good and safe to stay in.i am looking at hotels on priceline/hotwire and i need to know what areas to stay away from.Some exaples are,Plantation,Davies,Hollywood,North Ft Lauderdale ,Airport etc.There is a good deal for a 3.5 star in the plantation/Davies area.I am just wondering if that is a good area for 2 nights before our cruise out of POM.Thanks

Not sure when you are going but that will make a big difference in price. We got the Sheraton Yankee Clipper on Priceline for January 2009 for $90 per night. I tried but could not get anything downtown (Renaissance or Grand). Check out Biddingfortravel.com to get some idea of which hotels are available on Priceline and winning bids.

The Fishing Hall of Fame and Outdoor World/Bass Pro are two seperate buildings. The kids will love the fishing hall of fame they have Virtual Fishing all kinds of really neat things to read/learn and look at! My youngers sisters 14 and 11 love it and I have to say I enjoyed it myself.

Outdoor World aka Bass Pro Shops is an gigantic store that has everything you could ever want for doing anything outdoors from camping hunting fishing ect. They have a huge fresh water aquarium and a kiddie/arcade shooting range. They have clothes and swim suites and shoes ect. Attached to the store is a restaurant called Islamorada Fish Co. They have a sit down restaurant and a sushi bar. Both are quite good but I would recomend taking a 2 minute taxi drive (might even be able to walk) across Griffen road to Rustic Inn. This place has amazing sea food and is known for it's Maryland Blue Claw crabs. It's great for the kids as they give everyone little wooden hammers and when they sing happy birthday to someone everyone bangs their hammers on the tables which are covered in newspaper. They have pasta and chicken steaks and seafood.They also have outside dinning on the canal.

Thanks for all the info!!!! It is a big help and I will definitely take your advice! My 2 boys absolutely love fishing so I know they will love to see that place. Our flight gets in at 1015 on friday so they will have all day to hang out and check out the place. There will be a total of 16 of us checking in to that hotel on friday so we will be needing to find a place to eat somewhere close by that night! Walking would be great but a short cab ride would be ok.....I will try to find it and see exactly how far away it is. My husband loves seafood so I'm sure he willl definitely love to try that place out that you suggested! :D

Thanks....just checked out the menu.....looks really great! I will def show it to my husband...and I see they have the peel and eat spicy shrimp...that is one of his favs! It is making me hungry! especailly since we have soooo many good seafood restaurants up here in Ohio!! NOT! :p

I also stayed at this Ramada with the shuttle many years ago. It had outside entrances to the room (which I don't care for) and an security guard that patroled the grounds which made me leary. Needless to say we never went back.

This is not a Ramada, it is a BW

Yay I finaly get to post something that I am an expert on!

You have posted lots of great info and I would be grateful if you could also assist me with a question about the hotel we have been booked into prior to our cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

We booked our cruise including cruise air and transfers through Celebrity. We will be flying from the UK to Miami and have been booked into the Sheraton Airport hotel in Fort Lauderdale. We did not have a choice. All I can find out (from Tripadvisor) is a mixed bag of reviews and that the hotel is not near anywhere, restaurants etc.

Can you advise me if this hotel will be ok for one night pre cruise or should I contact Celebrity and ask to upgrade to another hotel?

I am not sure 1) whether they will allow me to change, 2) if I can upgrade, whether I will have to pay the full price of the hotel myself or 3) whether the transfer from Miami to the hotel will be included if I change.

I appreciate you will not know the answers to 2 & 3 but I would be so grateful if you could advise me on the hotel.

Thank you so much

The problem I've found with tripadvisor (or any site posting reviews) is that its a place where people go solely to complain. I'll review the Ramada at tripadvisor though and I'll let you know what I decide.

There was a group making cold calls, You won a cruise and then trying to sell a free hotel with the cruise. I forget the name of the 2 day cruiseline, its out of Ft. Lauderdale. The folks who got the hotel for free really say it was trashed. Maybe its been improved since I looked at it a year ago.

It was the one place I would have been afraid to book a year ago, when folks were staying there for free. They must have called me 10 times. Why wouldnt you want a free cruise??!! They sure were pushy. They were selling a package in a sneaky way. I will book almost any other hotel lol.

All I can find out (from Tripadvisor) is a mixed bag of reviews and that the hotel is not near anywhere, restaurants etc.

Can you advise me if this hotel will be ok for one night pre cruise or should I contact Celebrity and ask to upgrade to another hotel?

You are directly across the highway from the Courtyard Marriot in Dania that I have posted about. I am not familiar with the actual hotel but the area is not bad, the reviews are right as there isn't much to do in that area, you won't be near very much as far as walking is concerned. If you take a cab ride across the street though to the west side of Griffen Rd. and make a right on Anglers Ave. Thats where Bass Pro Shop and the Fishing Hall of Fame are and if you had made a right on Anglers instead of left Rustic Inn the restaurant I posted about is just right up the road. Also a cab ride to Fort Lauderdale Beach, downtown Fort Lauderdale and Las Olas should only be about a 15 minute ride. If it's just one night then I wouldn't change it if it means going through all that hassel. You should be fine.

You are directly across the highway from the Courtyard Marriot in Dania that I have posted about. I am not familiar with the actual hotel but the area is not bad, the reviews are right as there isn't much to do in that area, you won't be near very much as far as walking is concerned. If you take a cab ride across the street though to the west side of Griffen Rd. and make a right on Anglers Ave. Thats where Bass Pro Shop and the Fishing Hall of Fame are and if you had made a right on Anglers instead of left Rustic Inn the restaurant I posted about is just right up the road. Also a cab ride to Fort Lauderdale Beach, downtown Fort Lauderdale and Las Olas should only be about a 15 minute ride. If it's just one night then I wouldn't change it if it means going through all that hassel. You should be fine.

Gosh, that was a quick reply:D Thank you so much. I still don't know what I should do though, the one thing that gets me is that this hotel is not one that Celebrity sells as a pre/post stay in their brochure which makes me wonder if they are sending us to a cheap hotel (because a mandatory hotel stay is part of the cruise & air package deal). I thought we would have been put into one of the hotels they sell. I remember being put into an awful airport hotel in Maimi once and it scared the life out of me due to all the warning notices in the hotel and the fact that there was absolutely nowhere to go and we couldn't get anything to eat when we arrived in the evening. The breakfast was dreadful and very expensive. This is why I am rather nervous about this hotel - if it is ok why are Celebrity not selling it in their brochure? Maybe I worry too much :o

Our plane does not arrive in Miami until 18.00 so I don't expect we will want to do much other than get something to eat and sleep after our long flight.

I understand we are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine on the ship, do you know if there is anywhere we can buy some wine before we get on the ship? I don't want to haul bottles from Scotland?

I checked out the hotel on their website and it looks beautiful. I really think it should be fine. They have a wedding hall and typically only high end hotels book weddings.

There are numerous liqour stores in the area but not any that I can think of off hand.

I checked out the hotel on their website and it looks beautiful. I really think it should be fine. They have a wedding hall and typically only high end hotels book weddings.

There are numerous liqour stores in the area but not any that I can think of off hand.

You are very kind to have taken the trouble, perhaps I will just leave it and stop worrying :o

Thank you very much.

Faye

Archived