What area of Ft lauderdale is good and what is not??

thesawch

Ok, Stephanie and brenderlou, more help, please! I'd booked the Day's Inn for 3/21 pre-cruise because it was a reasonable price (~$100 + tax) & offers shuttle from airport & to the port. After reading mixed TripAdvisor reviews & checking the Google streetview, I'm having 2nd thoughts -- sketchy area? Also doesn't look like there's any restaurants within walking distance.....

I may look into the Dania Beach places you've recommended, but with Spring Break prices, don't know how much more we want to have to spend.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Mary

Treven-- off subject--- but love your dog-- I saw him (her?) some where else and thought how cute--

We have a mini schan puppy -- Molly--- should be called firecracker-- she is a pistol and has won our hearts!!

What do yall think the taxi will run from The Grande to the port? Also the airport to the Grande....

Has anybody checked liquor onto the plane and made it there? We brought some back from Mexico and it made in in fancy glass bottles...

I was wondering about buying some plastic travel size and putting them in ziplocs and packing them in check in... and then not having to have the taxi stop!

Has anyone tried this???

Ok, Stephanie and brenderlou, more help, please! I'd booked the Day's Inn for 3/21 pre-cruise because it was a reasonable price (~$100 + tax) & offers shuttle from airport & to the port. After reading mixed TripAdvisor reviews & checking the Google streetview, I'm having 2nd thoughts -- sketchy area? Also doesn't look like there's any restaurants within walking distance.....

I may look into the Dania Beach places you've recommended, but with Spring Break prices, don't know how much more we want to have to spend.

Mary

Hey Mary. I wouldn't stay there... change your hotel your not close to anything realy it is right off the highway but its next to the post office and an older not no nice part of town.

Treven-- off subject--- but love your dog-- I saw him (her?) some where else and thought how cute--

We have a mini schan puppy -- Molly--- should be called firecracker-- she is a pistol and has won our hearts!!

What do yall think the taxi will run from The Grande to the port? Also the airport to the Grande....

Has anybody checked liquor onto the plane and made it there? We brought some back from Mexico and it made in in fancy glass bottles...

I was wondering about buying some plastic travel size and putting them in ziplocs and packing them in check in... and then not having to have the taxi stop!

Has anyone tried this???

I don't know which Grande your speaking off. Whats the address?

Thanks much. He's a Wheaten colored Scotty named Logan; he was about 18 months old when I took that pix, he's 3 now.

Its going to be about a 10-15 minute drve west on Griffen from the hotel to Rustic inn... I am not familiar with the area but anything off A1A is normally a good bet. Sorry I couldnt be more help as I don't go down to Hollywood Beach very often. It's a quieter beach.

That gives me enough information that I didn't make a mistake in reserving something there. I'm looking for a place that's quiet and I can relax between the cruise and flying back out to the Left Coast.

Mary

Definitly stay away from the Days Inn. Look into places in Lauderdale by the Sea which is a quaint town on the ocean just north of Ft Lauderdale & a short ride to the port. Lots of Mom & Pops motels that look decent and a nice, safe area.

Also look into places in Plantation which is west of Ft Lauderdale which may be less expensive then being in downtown Ft Lauderdale.

I dont know anything about the hotel but its a good location close to the highway and maybe 15 minute drive to airport/port everglades. Right next store is a huge shopping plaza called Oakwood. They have a bunch of shops and restaurants as well as a movie theater. I like it around there. If your traveling w/ children there is a Dave & Busters in the shopping center which is a restaurant/arcade.

Stephanie, We may just have to hire you to be our Ft Lauderdale hotel advisor! Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions. If you ever want to vacation in the S. Missouri Ozarks/Branson area, just let me know and I can help you out.

Hi! We just stayed at the Yankee Clipper on Monday. It was a nice beachy hotel. Our 12 year old LOVED the idea that it was beachfront and enjoyed the ocean quite a bit. We took a taxi from our cruise port (we'd just finished an 8 day Carnival cruise) but did rent a car later in the evening. The price was less than $200 and worked well for us. We'd do it again.

We found an Italian Restaurant called Doughboys. I believe it was between the port and the hotel! Absolutely awesome food! Great for families! Frankly, we liked the food better there than on the cruise! I had the pasta with veggies and garlic butter sauce. It was wonderful! Too large for one! I wished I could have taken it home for lunch!

Our next cruise we will again plan our flight home for the day following our arrival at the port. It was so nice to leave the ship peacefully, not rushing to catch a plane. Then just spend a day at the beach. Super!

I wanted to know the same thing! I would like to know if The Residence Inn Miami Aventura Mall is a good place to stay for two days post cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. I would also appreciate any suggestions for things to do in January. Thanks for the help.

Definitly stay away from the Days Inn. Look into places in Lauderdale by the Sea which is a quaint town on the ocean just north of Ft Lauderdale & a short ride to the port. Lots of Mom & Pops motels that look decent and a nice, safe area.

Also look into places in Plantation which is west of Ft Lauderdale which may be less expensive then being in downtown Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks, brenderlou! I read a post on another thread from someone who lives near where I do -- she recommended the Tropi Rock Resort, so think I'll look into it and change our reservation. If we're going to have to spend more to stay somewhere decent, I'd rather support a local small hotel. We'll have a rental car that we can return to the airport & take a cab to the port rather than dealing with a shuttle.

Mary

Brenderlou the Days Inn you spoke about is that Hollywood or Ft Lauderdale? Also what about Laquinta in Hollywood off of 95 ty

Ft Lauderdale.....I'm not that familiar w/ Hollywood but my experience is that Days Inn are not that great a place to stay here in S. Fl from what I have seen. Sorry not familiar with the La Quinta in Hollywood

Well, I got some news for you, Lauderdale by the sea looks quaint but it's also known for crime because it's a high tourist area and a lot of transients. Read an article on it not too long ago. I feel it's safe but it's not what a lot think it is.

Somebody asked about Aventura..it's a beautiful city..and a nice mall there too. I love Sunny Isles beach right next door.

Well, I got some news for you, Lauderdale by the sea looks quaint but it's also known for crime because it's a high tourist area and a lot of transients. Read an article on it not too long ago. I feel it's safe but it's not what a lot think it is.

Somebody asked about Aventura..it's a beautiful city..and a nice mall there too. I love Sunny Isles beach right next door.

Every city has crime but Lauderdale by the Sea is not known for crime. There are other areas that are "known for crime". I consider LBTS safer than other areas around....that's all I was saying

When I was 16 I had my own place in Lauderdale by the Sea. I lived alone in a little apartment 1 block from A1A. I felt VERY safe and secure. I used to walk to work and to school and would even wander down to the beach alone at night and not once did I ever have any problems ever.

Stephanie, We may just have to hire you to be our Ft Lauderdale hotel advisor! Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions. If you ever want to vacation in the S. Missouri Ozarks/Branson area, just let me know and I can help you out.

Thanks guys!!

I wanted to know the same thing! I would like to know if The Residence Inn Miami Aventura Mall is a good place to stay for two days post cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. I would also appreciate any suggestions for things to do in January. Thanks for the help.

I'm not familiar at all with Miami/Aventura... I'm all about the 954 not the 305.. lol. (That was a joke.)

Every single month here is the same. January through December. We don't get seasons but every once in a while from Nov.- Feb. we will have a couple of random weeks of chilly weather... but you can never predict when that will happen. Today it's 72 degrees sunny and blue skys. So the beaches are always a wonderful option. Also, we have great shopping and dinning areas depending on where you are staying. We have Miami Metro Zoo, The Sea Aquariam, and Parrot Jungle. We have the everglades which is just a really neat experience.. I do alot of off shore fishing out of North Miami/ Sunny Isles area if you like that kind of stuff. Alot of outdoor/beach related activities like kayaking on the intracoastal and stuff like that. What are you interested in where are you staying and what are the age demographics of your group?

Lauderdale by the Sea is the safest area in Broward County. It is a charming area with shops and restaurants, and the addition of Kilwins chocolate and ice cream shop and additional public parking last year makes it even better. There are no great hotels, but there are lots of small privately owned motels. The beach is lovely there, and you can walk to everything that you need. Even the nearest emergency room, Holy Cross Hospital is the best and fastest in the county. I lived there for a few years until I moved a mile away to Fort Lauderdale 15 yrs ago. I walk to and from there anytime of day or night without reservation. The only violent crimes I have ever heard of were a few domestic incidents or situations where the victim had a relationship with the attacker. I've never even heard of cars being broken into, although I suppose it happens. Most of the crime is just drunken/disorderly conduct or homeless people who try to get some rest. Here is a statement from the sheriff's office: http://sheriff.org/about_bso/dle/districts/d13/index.cfm

Here's my opinion: Most of the Fort Lauderdale hotel areas are safe, but I would avoid the state rd 84 area (fine to go there for Lester's Diner, but not to stay there), and state rd 7 (rte. 441). Also, if you are not in an area where there are lots of pedestrians at night, that may be an indication that it would be safer to take a cab after dark, if even for a short distance. That includes the Hampton Inn downtown and certain parts of the beach area near Sunrise Blvd.

Stephanie, here is another question for you. We are looking at crown Plaza in Hollywood for a pre cruise stay in March. Any thoughts on this hotel?? Thanks a bunch all your info has been great.

Laura

Never been to the hotel but area is good its right on the beach I believe and from what I have heard about the hotel it's nice. Should be a good stay.

It's just south of the Diplomat Hotel (less then a mile) and if you scroll back you will hear my review of the area.

Hey-- been gone and just got back-- Stephanie we are staying in the Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel and Yacht club.

Whee- what a long name... did I leave any of it out?

The reviews on Tripadvisor and every else I have searched seem great!

Thanks--

Hey-- been gone and just got back-- Stephanie we are staying in the Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel and Yacht club.

Whee- what a long name... did I leave any of it out?

The reviews on Tripadvisor and every else I have searched seem great!

Thanks--

Great Hotel you are right next to the Port 5-10 minutes from the airport. Great location, great, great, great. It's on 17th Street so any of the previous posts about good restaurants on 17th would pertain to you.

I don't know which Grande your speaking off. Whats the address?

the Grande is the old Marriott Marina on 17th. I stayed there a few years back when it was the Marriott and it was very nice. There is a liquor store a few blocks away - very walkable. We walked there and got our wine for our cruise.

Never been to the hotel but area is good its right on the beach I believe and from what I have heard about the hotel it's nice. Should be a good stay.

It's just south of the Diplomat Hotel (less then a mile) and if you scroll back you will hear my review of the area.

Thank you for the help!

Laura

Archived