Card Size and Storage Speed?

joand452

Years ago I heard that the larger your media card, the longer it would take to store the photo. Does that still hold true? High volume cards (e.g., 4gig) are so inexpensive these days, but I'm still hesitant to go larger than 1gig.

I have a Canon S3, but it can be a little sluggish between shots. I'm thinking about upgrading to the SX10, which may not be that much faster after all. I don't want a DSLR (which I know would be faster) because I don't want to have to deal with separate lenses.

I love this board, even though I don't post a whole lot. Dave, I've printed out all your classes. I took a photography class last year, but it was over my head, but I can understand yours!! I actually used to use an SLR about 25 years ago (and I still have it), but can't remember a thing of how to use it.

I just want to be able to take good "tourist" photos, but at a little faster speed!!

Years ago I heard that the larger your media card, the longer it would take to store the photo. Does that still hold true? High volume cards (e.g., 4gig) are so inexpensive these days, but I'm still hesitant to go larger than 1gig.

I have a Canon S3, but it can be a little sluggish between shots. I'm thinking about upgrading to the SX10, which may not be that much faster after all. I don't want a DSLR (which I know would be faster) because I don't want to have to deal with separate lenses.

I love this board, even though I don't post a whole lot. Dave, I've printed out all your classes. I took a photography class last year, but it was over my head, but I can understand yours!! I actually used to use an SLR about 25 years ago (and I still have it), but can't remember a thing of how to use it.

I just want to be able to take good "tourist" photos, but at a little faster speed!!

Card speed vs. size with newer cards is not really an issue. Modern card controllers and the cards themselves are much faster than even a couple of years ago. If you use Class 4 SDHC or higher in your S3 of SX10, they will out-perform the camera's buffer regardless of size. Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III SD cards (no class speed rating for SD, they introduced it with the SDHC - 4GB and up) are good choices and will provide good upload speed when you transfer them to your computer.

I'm glad you're getting some use out of the classes. They are meant to teach the basics of improving your photography, but are also meant to be fun.

Happy shooting!

Dave

The short answer is NO. The speed is limited by the capability of the chip on the card.

4GB is the sweet spot of pricing. A sandisk Extreme III will be perfect for your camera.

The speed of the chips is heavily marketed these days and you can find very fast 4GB and larger cards. Take Sandisk, the Extreme IV is faster then Extreme III is faster then Extreme II etc. etc. For your camera you'll be fine with a Extreme III, anything faster you are paying for performance in the card that can't be utilizied by your camera for write. But if you are every frustrated with downloading the faster cards with the right reader will download to your computer faster.

There are several things that effect the write/storage of pictures in the camera.

1) Speed of the A/D chip to process the bits and convert the analog signal from the sensor into digital bits to store in the card

2) Memory Buffer size in the camera that stores digital bits prior to writing to the card

3) Speed of the card.

If you look at your S3 The best you can expect is about 1.5 pictures/second and a delay of about ~ .5 seconds to focus NO matter what card you get. But with a bigger card you can store a lot more pictures ;)

If you need to shoot faster you will need a faster camera and if you want the fastest there is no subsitue for DSLR where 1) and 2) are simply bigger and faster :D

You actually don't need to think a DSLR = lots of lens. You can get a nice entry level DSLR Canon Rebel, Nikon D40/D60 with a large 5x to 11x zoom that will out perform any P&S. Of course they are a bit heavier and larger but you'll find blazing fast composition/focus and at least 3 pictures/second capability.

I had the Canon S2, which I loved. I had planned to upgrade to the Canon SX10 until the specs were released and I found out that it won't take lenses. After cruising to Hawaii with a polarizer/adapter on my S2, I couldn't imagine not being able to use the polarizer now--really improves picture quality. I thought about a DSLR, but like you, didn't want to mess with changing lenses and the extra weight. I like being able to zoom immediately with the touch of a button rather than having to plan ahead and switch out lenses. I ended up buying the Panasonic Lumix FZ28 and have been very pleased. It is smaller than the Canon and an incrementally shorter zoom at full MPs, but can zoom up to 32x if you're willing to go to lower MP (still makes a good 4x6). It also records in HD. The controls are well laid out and UV/polarizing lenses screw directly to the camera's lens. Just thought I'd mention it in case you're still undecided. I loved my Canon and hated that they were so short-sighted in designing a new model with fewer capabilities.

Thanks for all the input. I'll look into that Panasonic Lumix. I'm disappointed, too, that you can't screw on a filter and the lens cap doesn't have a string!

I'll continue to think about the DSLR. Maybe I'll wait another year...

I've seen adapters and lenses/filters for sale on ebay. I don't know that I'd buy something from ebay that was sold for every camera out there. I know that Canon doesn't make anything.

The S5 is pretty much exactly the same as my S3, a little more mp, but everything else (including zoom) is the same.

I've kind of gotten over my "need" for a new camera. I will invest in some new, fast SD cards before our next trip, however!

I need to purchase another SD card. I currently have 2 X's 2GB cards. I have an S3Is and a new XSI Rebel. Any advice for the type of SanDisk card I should purchase??I'm thinking another 2 - 4 GB card would provide me with sufficient photo storage. I'm just not too sure what extreme/ultra mean. Do they have anything to do with the quality of the photos or is it simply related to upload speed on the computer??:confused:

I need to purchase another SD card. I currently have 2 X's 2GB cards. I have an S3Is and a new XSI Rebel. Any advice for the type of SanDisk card I should purchase??I'm thinking another 2 - 4 GB card would provide me with sufficient photo storage. I'm just not too sure what extreme/ultra mean. Do they have anything to do with the quality of the photos or is it simply related to upload speed on the computer??:confused:

The new Ultra II SDHC cards are rated at 15MB/s transfer and the Extreme III at 30MB/s. The quality of the photos is your job!:D

Either one will work fine in your Rebel. The only difference you will see is the upload speed to the computer.

Dave

Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III SD cards (no class speed rating for SD, they introduced it with the SDHC - 4GB and up) are good choices and will provide good upload speed when you transfer them to your computer.

Dave I am completely convinced that the upload of the photos is incredibly and enormously improved with these examples you cite and that these are the kinds of cards to look for to purchase. Huge, huge, difference.

Dave I am completely convinced that the upload of the photos is incredibly and enormously improved with these examples you cite and that these are the kinds of cards to look for to purchase. Huge, huge, difference.

I personally use Extreme III and Extreme IV compact flash cards with my DSLR and Extreme III SDHC with my little Canon SD. The Extreme IV card seems like it is as fast as a hard drive! For day to day use it's not a big deal, but when I got back from our last trip, I had almost 16 GB of images to load and the speed of the Extreme IV (40MB/s) was a blessing. Sure, I could just start the load and walk away, but ATMs, microwave ovens, digital cameras and TV-on-demand have all but destroyed my once-stoic patience.:D

Worth the extra few bucks!

Dave

I've seen adapters and lenses/filters for sale on ebay. I don't know that I'd buy something from ebay that was sold for every camera out there. I know that Canon doesn't make anything.

The S5 is pretty much exactly the same as my S3, a little more mp, but everything else (including zoom) is the same.

I've kind of gotten over my "need" for a new camera. I will invest in some new, fast SD cards before our next trip, however!

I have a couple of lens adapters for my S3 with a Hoya Moose's warm circular polarizer (thanks pierces for the suggestion) and a multi-coated UV adapter, I think that it is sigma. I love the results from the addition of these filters and the lens can move around while protected inside the adapter. I got everything from amazon.

I personally use Extreme III and Extreme IV compact flash cards with my DSLR and Extreme III SDHC with my little Canon SD. The Extreme IV card seems like it is as fast as a hard drive! For day to day use it's not a big deal, but when I got back from our last trip, I had almost 16 GB of images to load and the speed of the Extreme IV (40MB/s) was a blessing. Sure, I could just start the load and walk away, but ATMs, microwave ovens, digital cameras and TV-on-demand have all but destroyed my once-stoic patience.:D

Worth the extra few bucks!

Dave

I am very happy with my Ultra II's they are the newer faster ones. I may give the extremes a shot when I need more memory.

I don't want a DSLR (which I know would be faster) because I don't want to have to deal with separate lenses.

!!

Even if you do not get any lenses for your dSLR, it will still have advantages.

First, the sensor is larger so the noise level will be lower.

Second, you will get much better pictures in low light situations.

Third, if you want to upgrade your camera, you can save money by buying just a new body and using your existing lenses - when you buy a dSLR, you buy a system, not just a camera.

Fourth, you can easily add an external flash which reduces red eye and has more power.

Finally, you will have room to grow if you ever decide to buy separate lenses. A P&S, even a good one, is a dead end camera.

Hope this helps.

DON

Thanks for all the input. I'll look into that Panasonic Lumix. I'm disappointed, too, that you can't screw on a filter and the lens cap doesn't have a string!

I'll continue to think about the DSLR. Maybe I'll wait another year...

I can't help you with the screw on filter. However, you can pick up lens cap holders that have a little sticky thing that attached to your lens cap with a loop that goes around your lens. Cost is maybe $10 at your local photo store. You could also probably make one yourself.

DON

I can't help you with the screw on filter. However, you can pick up lens cap holders that have a little sticky thing that attached to your lens cap with a loop that goes around your lens. Cost is maybe $10 at your local photo store. You could also probably make one yourself.

DON

The little leash thing is called a Cap Keeper and I have never found them to be more than $1.99, even at Ritz or Wolf. They come in two flavors; with a little plastic lock that loops through the body lug ring for the camera strap and with an elastic loop that stretches around the lens body.

The only caveat I have for them is to carry a spare. After a couple of years, the elastic loop can lose its stretch. I have also gotten a couple of them tangled in tripods or fence rails and torn them off the camera accidentally. No damage and easily replaced, but a spare in you bag is easier to find than a new one in Costa Rica.;)

Dave

Archived