Live From The Diamond Princess Sydney-Auckland 01-05-09

Woobstr112G

Hello all;

We got into Sydney last night after a long flight from Los Angeles. The cost of upgrading to business class was worth it. Sydney is a very beautiful city with a ton of stuff to do. I wish we had more time to spend here. Tonight DW and I will be doing a harbor dinner cruise with sister and sister's husband.

As time permits, I will do my best to post my impressions of the cruise and the Diamond herself. I hope all will find these postings useful and informative.

Take care all.

Bob

:)Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Thanks for posing your inights and impressions of your current cruise on the Diamond Princess. I'll be sailing on the Diamond Princess next November 22, on an 18 day cruise from Bangkok to Sydney so will be reading your posts with great interest.

We have done this cruise four times and on every trip there has been a very good shuttle running into the city.

I think it is about US$5.00 each way, drops you right downtown and picks you up at the same spot for the return trip back to the ship. It runs about every fifteen minutes.

Have a great cruise, you will love it.:)

We have done this cruise four times and on every trip there has been a very good shuttle running into the city.

I think it is about US$5.00 each way, drops you right downtown and picks you up at the same spot for the return trip back to the ship. It runs about every fifteen minutes.

Have a great cruise, you will love it.:)

Christchurch as well. we were thinking just to tour that ourselves. We have private tours booked otherwise.

KIM

:)

Christchurch as well. we were thinking just to tour that ourselves. We have private tours booked otherwise.

KIM

I should have said that the shuttle runs in both Dunedin and Christchurch, it makes independent travel very easy.

Christchurch is a lovely city, a stroll along the river is most enjoyable, you can also go punting if so inclined. The museum is also very nice as is the museum in Dunedin.

Welcome to Sydney Bob. I hope that you enjoyed our weather and our city today - I bet it was beautiful on the harbour tonight. I look forward to your live posts and appreciate your efforts as our family will be on Diamond Princess for Bangkok to Whittier in April/May.

Just saw Diamond Princess in Sydney Harbour tonight on the TV news - she was in the background and it certainly whett the appetite for April.:D I hope you enjoyed our beautiful sunshine today - although it was maybe a little too hot. Still, I bet our harbour shone for you. I hope you enjoy sailing out through the harbour. I look forward to your live reports Bob.

Hi all. Well we just left Sydney. Embarkation went very smooth. We were on in no time at all. The Diamond is a very beautiful ship Everything is very clean. They are really pushing the hand sanatizing to keep down the Norovirus. We were an hour late departing due to late fuel feliveries. A couple of initial observations. Our cabin steward seems a real jerk. It seems like he is put out when I asked him a couple of small favors. I was going to slip him some money a the onset, but no way in hell is he getting an extra red cent from me.

The food at the horizon court is terrible. All the hot dishes are cold, cold, and cold. Some the wait staff also seemed like they had their own agenda.

Hopefully this won't be indicative of what is to come for the rest of the cruise.

Until tomorrow.....

Bob

We did this itinerary (in reverse) on Sapphire in 2007. It was the highlight (so far) of our cruising experiences. We absolutely loved Sydney and both agreed it was the one place on earth, except the UK, where we thought we could relocate to. It just felt so familiar to us. We had two days in Singapore, two days in Auckland, the cruise up to Sydney, 3 days in Sydney and then a further day in Singapore en route for London. We had such a good time and did all those things you should do in Australia and NZ - visited Rotorua, fed kangaroos in Tasmania, stroked koalas in Melbourne, saw a duckbilled platypus, walked on Bondi Beach, ate an Aussie pie etc. etc. - so many, many good memories. Would do the cruise again in a heartbeat, even the mountainous seas on our Tasman Sea crossing:D

Hi there, We are looking forward to your posts as we are going on the Diamond Princess at the end of January. What is the weather like.. ? In checking weather.com it looks like it varies from in the 70's to the 80's. Wondering if New Zealand will be cooler. We will be spending about 5 days in Sydney before the cruise and two days in Auckland after the cruise. Have a great trip!

A couple of initial observations. Our cabin steward seems a real jerk. It seems like he is put out when I asked him a couple of small favors.

The food at the horizon court is terrible. All the hot dishes are cold, cold, and cold. Some the wait staff also seemed like they had their own agenda.

Bob

We were on the previuos SYD/AUK Cruise:D

Sounds as if you have the same Steward that we had.

He insisted on delivering the Pitter Patter after 10:00 P.M.

First night out he "waltzed" in, without knocking; I was in bed, DW in the shower.

He did not do it again. Didn't like what I said to him.

Horizon Court food was passable.

Do have a great Cruise

Hi all. Well we just left Sydney. Embarkation went very smooth. We were on in no time at all. The Diamond is a very beautiful ship Everything is very clean. They are really pushing the hand sanatizing to keep down the Norovirus. We were an hour late departing due to late fuel feliveries. A couple of initial observations. Our cabin steward seems a real jerk. It seems like he is put out when I asked him a couple of small favors. I was going to slip him some money a the onset, but no way in hell is he getting an extra red cent from me.

Hopefully this won't be indicative of what is to come for the rest of the cruise.

Until tomorrow.....

Bob

Hi Bob, I hope things aboard the Diamond improve quickly for you. We sailed onboard the Diamond last year and had a wonderful cruise with great service and food.

Well I got a good night's sleep and today is a new day. Maybee I was a little harsh due to lack of sleep or something else. Breakfast in the Horizon was very good. Good selection and all hot items were acceptable. Spending the morning taking pictures of the Diamond for my flickr site. THe Diamond is truely a beautiful ship. Does take some getting use to with the different configuration than the Emerald. Hopefully as the Diamond, Saphire, and other ships go into dry dock they will sitch the layout around to match teh Emerald/Ruby. I was told by a crew member that this might be the plan.

So far today all the crew hve been very friendly and personable. I will deffinetely be open minded in my future observations of the crew.

WEll, hope all have a great day. Tonight is formal night and tomorrow is

Melbourne.

Bob

Archived