Live From The Diamond Princess Sydney-Auckland 01-05-09

Woobstr112G

Hi there, We are looking forward to your posts as we are going on the Diamond Princess at the end of January. What is the weather like.. ? In checking weather.com it looks like it varies from in the 70's to the 80's. Wondering if New Zealand will be cooler. We will be spending about 5 days in Sydney before the cruise and two days in Auckland after the cruise. Have a great trip!

Hi

Today in metropolitan Sydney we are expecting a high of 41 Celsius. It will probably be a little cooler by the end of the month. Sailing on the Diamond on the 17 January from Auckland and we are taking jackets and light jumpers for the southern island part of the journey. Lately our weather has been extremely varied (two seasons in one day) so you need to expect the unexpected.

Have a good trip

Dianne

Hey Bob,

Thanks for starting this live thread from the Diamond. I just hope that you and Holli have a wonderful cruise as you are visiting some of my favorite places in the world. Are you going to try to do the Chef's Table again on this cruise? Not sure how they can top or match what we had on the Emerald. Looking forward to your future postings.

Ann #1

Hey Bob' date='

Thanks for starting this live thread from the Diamond. I just hope that you and Holli have a wonderful cruise as you are visiting some of my favorite places in the world. Are you going to try to do the Chef's Table again on this cruise? Not sure how they can top or match what we had on the Emerald. Looking forward to your future postings.

Ann #1[/quote']

Ann; They don't do the Chef's table on the Diamond. I was really bummed out when I found this out.

For the rest, We are just about to dock in Melbourne. Weather is a bit strange. A little cool along with very overcast and drizzley. Last night was our first formal night. Did not attend the captain's cocktail party but noted that it was well attended by others. The food for the most part was good. We had to send my DW's entree back because the cornish hen was extremely dry. I had fish that was quite good. All in all, not a bad dinner. Our dining room (intnl; late seating traditional did seem a bit empty.

We tried to go to the production show, but by the time we got there, the venue was full.

One bit of advice if I may. I'm not sure what the outside rate is, but the currency exchange machines onboard are only paying 1.30 AUD for each US dollar. If the rate is higher on land, I'd buy before boarding. The machine also charges a $3.50 transaction fee.

Hope all have a great day. I will try and post my Melbourne exploits tomorrow.

Bob

Thank you so much for your CC Diamond Diary! My DH and I will be on the February 10th sailing from Auckland. The Crown Princess had a Coffee Card for purchase where you could buy a punch card for espresso style drinks for around $25. Does the Diamond feature this, also, or do I have to bring my own coffee and french press coffee maker with me? Also, do you know how many formal nights they will have? Have a great cruise.

Hi All, I was on this cruise in reverse order on the 12/12. I think you will find answers to a lot of your questions there...please be aware that the board listed as P and O is actually a default board for all questions Australian and NZ irrespective of cruise line.

We are currently exploring changing the name. Come on down and join in:D

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your updates from the Diamond. We are on the sailing after you and are in the final countdown to when we board our loooooong flight to Auckland. You mentioned that your steward seemed a bit out of joint. Our cabin is a balcony on the starboard side of the Baja deck in the 600 series. Just curious if we might wind up with the same same guy. We usually always give our steward $20 too when first meeting as well. A steward with an attitude is not a good situation.

Have a great cruise and will be looking forward to future posts.

49er

Ann; They don't do the Chef's table on the Diamond. I was really bummed out when I found this out.

For the rest, We are just about to dock in Melbourne. Weather is a bit strange. A little cool along with very overcast and drizzley. Last night was our first formal night. Did not attend the captain's cocktail party but noted that it was well attended by others. The food for the most part was good. We had to send my DW's entree back because the cornish hen was extremely dry. I had fish that was quite good. All in all, not a bad dinner. Our dining room (intnl; late seating traditional did seem a bit empty.

We tried to go to the production show, but by the time we got there, the venue was full.

One bit of advice if I may. I'm not sure what the outside rate is, but the currency exchange machines onboard are only paying 1.30 AUD for each US dollar. If the rate is higher on land, I'd buy before boarding. The machine also charges a $3.50 transaction fee.

Bob

Hi There,

I was thinking of bring some travel cheques in NZ Dollars do you know if there will cash them on board. I know they will cash US.

Thanks,

KIM:)

Bob,

I am not sure, but are you in E731? I have been reading various roll calls for this trip and I thought you mentioned the minisuite. If so I am very worried because that is the cabin we have coming up. If so , how do we handle this steward? I know my husband will be ready to jump ship if we get someone who is a "jerk".

Bob,

I am not sure, but are you in E731? I have been reading various roll calls for this trip and I thought you mentioned the minisuite. If so I am very worried because that is the cabin we have coming up. If so , how do we handle this steward? I know my husband will be ready to jump ship if we get someone who is a "jerk".

We do have E731. Our steward is a man named Marvin. I may have been a little over the top with my critisicism of him. He does a good job, just no personality......

Getting ready to go to dinner now. Will talk more tomorrow regarding Melbourne.

Take Care All

Bob

Thanks Bob for the reply. How is the cabin. We are following you on Jan. 17th. Anything we need to know about it? Noise from Fusion? What is the best way to handle the cabin steward? Does it have some lounge chairs on the deck? Sorry for so many questions.... What did you do in Melbourne today? How is the weather? We keep packing and unpacking because we just don't know whether it is cold or hot. Hope you had a fun day in Melbourne. Susan

Happy cruising Bob!!! We also will be on the Diamond at the end of January. I've been checking your posts religiously and they only add to my excitement! We will be staying in Sydney 3 days prior, so we are at the "16 days until we leave" count down now!

Whatnext~it sounds like we will be shipmates!!!

Bob

Bob,

So sorry to hear that they do not have the Chef's Table yet. What a highlight that was for all of us. I am hoping in April they will offer it on the Coral.

Keep enjoying your time Down Under.

Ann #1

Will be leacing Hobart in about an hour. My party of four had a great time exploring Tasmania. We hooked up with Tasmanian Prestige Tours who took very good vare of us.

Melbourne was nice as well. We had another private tour wherein we went to a wildlife sanctuary and a local winery. Yesterday (day at Sea) we did Sabatini's. Food was good, but I think the whole experience on Emerald's Sabatini's was a just a bit better. Don't know yet if we are going to partake in Sterling's yet. Yesterday we also had some excitement as they had to medivac a sick passenger from the ship. Was vwery cool watching the helicopter hover over the ship.

All in all it's shaping up to be an enjoyable cruise. With the exception of our cabin steward, everything else is good o very good.

Take Care All.....2 days at sea before we hit New Zealand.

Bob

Not sure if you saw my earlier post. Any information would really be appreciated:

Thank you so much for your CC Diamond Diary! My DH and I will be on the February 10th sailing from Auckland. The Crown Princess had a Coffee Card for purchase where you could buy a punch card for espresso style drinks for around $25. Does the Diamond feature this, also, or do I have to bring my own coffee and french press coffee maker with me? Also, do you know how many formal nights they will have? Have a great cruise.

Hi Bob

I have enjoyed reading your diary. We are in Auckland waiting for Diamond to arrive for us to embark on the reverse cruise next Saturday.

I have a few questions for you? Answers to some of these will help resove my indecision about what to take. Unfortunately we can't just take all of it as there is a baggage weight limit on our flight back from Sydney.

Is the ship's currency US$ or AUD?

Have you had a formal night yet? I so, what is the approximate breakdown between tuxedo and dark suit wearers?

Onn smart casual nights are short sleeve shirts acceptable or are most guys wearing long-sleeved dress shirts?

Thanks

Derek

I have a strange request for you. When you are next passing the library, could you please ask if they have The series of books that is the latest craze with the teens; Twighlight; New Moon; Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. They are written by Stephanie Meyer. It will certainly save some room in luggage if they have them for our April cruise:) Thank you.

JUSTGOTTAGO, if its any help we were on the Diamond [Asia cruise] in November and had same problems as you with baggage weight restrictions---- about 50/50 in lounge suits and short sleeve shirts were perfectly acceptable on smart casual nights. Ships currency was U.S dollars.

Hi Bob! I'm here in Kansas City watching the sunrise over the Tasmanian Sea on the Bridge Cam! It's beautiful! I was wondering how the crossing has been? On the bridge cam it's looks calm, but wasn't sure! Again, hope you are enjoying your cruise! Here's to smooth sailing! :)

Hi Bob

I have enjoyed reading your diary. We are in Auckland waiting for Diamond to arrive for us to embark on the reverse cruise next Saturday.

I have a few questions for you? Answers to some of these will help resove my indecision about what to take. Unfortunately we can't just take all of it as there is a baggage weight limit on our flight back from Sydney.

Is the ship's currency US$ or AUD?

Have you had a formal night yet? I so, what is the approximate breakdown between tuxedo and dark suit wearers?

Onn smart casual nights are short sleeve shirts acceptable or are most guys wearing long-sleeved dress shirts?

Thanks

Derek

Hi Derek,

I was on the 24/12 Auckland to Sydney on the Diamond.

The ship charges everything in US$.

I wore a suit on the two formal nights and certainly didn't feel out of place. There were a lot of guys in tuxedos but I'd say more were in lounge suits.

I wore both short and long sleeved shirts on other nights. There was always a mixture.

There are self service laundromats on every deck so you can cut down on your packing by utilizing these facilities.

Hope that helps

Stuart

Hello All;

Sorry for the delay, the internet service has been a little no cooperative. Today we are in Milford Sound. It is absol;utely beautiful. The two days crossing from tasmania were great. Seas were very calm. What a surprise. Got some great pictures so far with some others sure to follow. Hope all are having a great day.

Bob

Archived