Seat Selection

AF-1

Just want everyones opinion on seat selection. I am returning from Barcelona on Delta. I'm on 767-400. I have a choice of seats 16 F and G, or Seats 30 F and G. Using Seatguru.com, which seat would you choose? Thanks for your comments or choices.

I'm assuming you are on the transatlantic version, not the domestic version (since the domestic doesn't show a row 16). I would go with 30 if you can get it, as it appears to be an exit row. 30F is a better seat than 30G because the door will be right there and there is a piece on the door containing the emergency slide that protrudes into the legroom of the seat. But 30F will have several feet of legroom in front of it. Also row 16 is 2 rows back of the lavatory so you will have more traffic by your seats. At row 30, there is a lav on the AB side, but not on your side, so people on your side of the plane will more than likely go to the rear lav.

Go for the most legroom if you don't have a connecting flight. Go for the front of the plane if you do have a connection.

Don't forget those noise canceling headphones, too!!!

I have to agree about the noise canceling headphones...I would't be without them & the ones we have were only $30 not the best, but sure work for us. Can only imagine how the Bose ones work, but we don't fly enough to pay that much.

Jan

I'd loan you mine if I knew you!! :D:D

My Bose are the best travel investment. I was on a cross-country flight in front of a screaming, crying toddler and didn't hear a thing but my rain forest sounds!

Let me elaborate on my trip. My wife and I will be on the Delta flight. Right now we have row 16 F/G. We fly from Barcelona to JFK. Delta recommeded these seats due to having to clear customs in JFK, we will be closer to the front of acft. If we do go with row 30, My wife will take aisle seat and I will take the seat next to the door. I have owned Bose Quiet Comfort Headsets for 7 years. I travel for a living and use them every week. Thanks for the feedback

Cheers

Looks like seatguru needs to adjust their seat plans for the 2 versions of 764 that Delta has. Although apparently Delta will be changing the configuration starting in the spring. Maybe the seatplan for your flight reflects that change, so hopefully they actually have an updated aircraft for your flight when it comes.

How tight is your connection in JFK? It would have to be very tight for me to want to sit closer to the door instead of enjoying an exit row for 9 hours, but since you fly them frequently, you obviously know better how the comfort is for you in a regular row.

Looks like seatguru needs to adjust their seat plans for the 2 versions of 764 that Delta has. Although apparently Delta will be changing the configuration starting in the spring. Maybe the seatplan for your flight reflects that change, so hopefully they actually have an updated aircraft for your flight when it comes.

Why? Seatguru shows the version OP mentions for his transatlantic flight, clearly marked as the 767-400 transatlantic version.

you are correct. I am flying delta 767-400 version for the transatlantic. Seat 30 is an exit row; but there are no seats in front of it; so I have only the overhead bin for my suitcase and carryon. I can not put anything on floor in front of me. I never check a bag; so I will have all my bags topside, and my wife will have her stuff.

Why? Seatguru shows the version OP mentions for his transatlantic flight, clearly marked as the 767-400 transatlantic version.

Because when I looked yesterday, the 764 seatmap on delta.com for BCN-JFK on the day the OP disembarks the cruise didn't match what seatguru shows.

you are correct. I am flying delta 767-400 version for the transatlantic. Seat 30 is an exit row; but there are no seats in front of it; so I have only the overhead bin for my suitcase and carryon. I can not put anything on floor in front of me. I never check a bag; so I will have all my bags topside, and my wife will have her stuff.

Are you elite on Delta (or other SkyTeam carrier)? The reason I ask is this could be an important consideration if you're sitting in row 16. If you're not elite, you will be the LAST to board and will risk not being able to get an overhead bin near your seat as these will likely be taken by the pre-boarding elites sitting towards the front of the cabin. Given that the exit row is an option to you, I am guessing that you are elite, so this is a moot point, but if you're not, its something else to consider.

For that length of flight, I would take the exit row, no questions asked. The incremental savings of being 15 rows closer to the front of the plan is really not going to be more than a few minutes. If it wasn't the exit row (and even the protruding door is not that bad given the extra leg room), I'd say go for 16.

Thanks for your input and comments. I am moving toward staying in row 16. I ordered the first class sleeper from skymall magazine. I read a lot of positive comments; so that should help a little with sleeping onboard.

Row 16 will be noisier than Row 30 because it's exposed to one of the engines and not blocked by the wing. Also there are missing windows in the general area of Row 16 so you may have restricted or no view as well as noise from the A/C ducting that runs through the wall where the window would be.

Row 30 is an exit with 4-5 feet of legroom and you won't have anyone reclining into your face. But the armrest houses the table tray; it does not fold up and reduces seat width by about 1 inch.

These may be non-issues but thought I'd bring it up.

Archived