Dad with two teen daughters

jbroons

I am cruising on Carnival Freedom in April and I booked a suite in category 11. I'll be traveling with my daughters 15 & 17. Is the suite large enough that we don't kill each other:eek: (kidding) or would adjoining balcony staterooms be better?

As long as you stay out of their way when they're getting ready, you'll be fine! To get 2 rooms will cost you that "single" supplement fee....hardly worth it! Just dress for dinner early and let them have the room for a couple of hours!

As long as you stay out of their way when they're getting ready, you'll be fine! To get 2 rooms will cost you that "single" supplement fee....hardly worth it! Just dress for dinner early and let them have the room for a couple of hours!

Thanks again cb. The adjoining balconies would be $487.00 more than the suite....but the privacy would almost be worth it. The real downside would be the loss of the vip amenities that getting a suite brings (embarkation, disembarkation, etc..)

I am cruising on Carnival Freedom in April and I booked a suite in category 11. I'll be traveling with my daughters 15 & 17. Is the suite large enough that we don't kill each other:eek: (kidding) or would adjoining balcony staterooms be better?

We were on the Freedom's maiden voyage in 3 cat 11 suites for 8 of us, including two 16 yr-old girls. (The balcony staterooms are much smaller.) Three girls (16, 16, 22) had plenty of space in one room - especially with the separate dressing area and two sinks. The extra bed was very comfortable - not at all like a hide-a-bed. Each bed has it's own side table, and there was tons of storage. You won't get much privacy, but the perks are nice & the balcony is a good size. Our girls really enjoyed the teen club & actually still keep in touch with some of the kids they met. I had total trust in the staff to look after them and we were welcomed to the club to check on the activities and took phone messages from us when needed.

Relax & have fun :)

Flute Teacher

You will probably rarely see them. You can plan on showering in the spa, if your girls are like mine. But in fact at times would ANY space be large enough for a father (or a mother) and 2 teenage offspring? But make it clear you are the one with the credit card- that often smooths many things over.

We were on the Freedom's maiden voyage in 3 cat 11 suites for 8 of us, including two 16 yr-old girls. (The balcony staterooms are much smaller.) Three girls (16, 16, 22) had plenty of space in one room - especially with the separate dressing area and two sinks. The extra bed was very comfortable - not at all like a hide-a-bed. Each bed has it's own side table, and there was tons of storage. You won't get much privacy, but the perks are nice & the balcony is a good size. Our girls really enjoyed the teen club & actually still keep in touch with some of the kids they met. I had total trust in the staff to look after them and we were welcomed to the club to check on the activities and took phone messages from us when needed.

Relax & have fun :)

Flute Teacher

Thanks Flute Teacher. Your words bring me comfort;) as far as "rooming" with the girls go....We are excited about our first cruise, and I definitely will relax. BTW, do you like Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull's one of my favorite all-time bands....showing my age.)

You will probably rarely see them. You can plan on showering in the spa, if your girls are like mine. But in fact at times would ANY space be large enough for a father (or a mother) and 2 teenage offspring? But make it clear you are the one with the credit card- that often smooths many things over.

Thanks 5waldos....your advice about the spa-showering is a great one, and the credit card reminder even better!!

Thanks again cb. The adjoining balconies would be $487.00 more than the suite....but the privacy would almost be worth it. The real downside would be the loss of the vip amenities that getting a suite brings (embarkation, disembarkation, etc..)

VIP amenities? if you arrive at the pier about 11am you wont need that amenities.. and disembarkation-- you can ask for early off tags.

I am sailing on the Freedom on 2/14 with my 16 & 19 y.o. DD's. :) (Also from CT, btw) We are booked in a regular balcony cabin and I am not worried about the space at all. We have already discussed taking turns in the shower.

I have read about people using the spa shower but it has never been needed for us....of course we are 3 women....since you are the dad you might find that spa shower to be a good option and give the girls a little privacy as well. I think you can easily work this out without having to get 2 cabins.

If it was a suite on any other cruiseline, I'd agree with you, but getting into another line when getting on the ship, may or may not be faster. We do self disembarkation getting off anyway.

Carnival does pretty much nothing for its suites, so that's no loss. Other cruiselines you would have a butler or a consierge, or access to the concierge lounge with free drinks at night and breakfast like on RCL with small gifts in the cabin. I certainly wouldnt make my decision based on VIP boarding on Carnival. Remember everyone with 10 or more cruises will also get VIP boarding, so the line isnt that great sometimes, sometimes it is faster.

There has been discussion if you get VIP disembarkaton with a suite, or just getting on the ship. Did you read in writing that you get both? Most say the reality is you dont get priority disembakation with a suite on Carnival.

I am sailing on the Freedom on 2/14 with my 16 & 19 y.o. DD's. :) (Also from CT, btw) We are booked in a regular balcony cabin and I am not worried about the space at all. We have already discussed taking turns in the shower.

I have read about people using the spa shower but it has never been needed for us....of course we are 3 women....since you are the dad you might find that spa shower to be a good option and give the girls a little privacy as well. I think you can easily work this out without having to get 2 cabins.

Thanks, Liza....Valentine's Day cruise with your girls:How cute!! With my two DD's, the double sink/vanity in the bathroom is a Godsend....it's all they keep talking about!! Where in CT are you....we're in New Canaan.

If it was a suite on any other cruiseline, I'd agree with you, but getting into another line when getting on the ship, may or may not be faster. We do self disembarkation getting off anyway.

Carnival does pretty much nothing for its suites, so that's no loss. Other cruiselines you would have a butler or a consierge, or access to the concierge lounge with free drinks at night and breakfast like on RCL with small gifts in the cabin. I certainly wouldnt make my decision based on VIP boarding on Carnival. Remember everyone with 10 or more cruises will also get VIP boarding, so the line isnt that great sometimes, sometimes it is faster.

There has been discussion if you get VIP disembarkaton with a suite, or just getting on the ship. Did you read in writing that you get both? Most say the reality is you dont get priority disembakation with a suite on Carnival.

Hi firefly333. I only know what my TA told me and that was that it included both embarkation & disembarkation....I really don't know and, like you said, I won't base my cabin decision on VIP things. I do know, however, that my 2 daughters were drooling over the double sink/vanity in the bathroom!!!I'm starting a thread regarding the VIP stuff so check it out and we'll both learn something. Thanks!!

Thanks, Liza....Valentine's Day cruise with your girls:How cute!! With my two DD's, the double sink/vanity in the bathroom is a Godsend....it's all they keep talking about!! Where in CT are you....we're in New Canaan.

2 sinks and more space in the bathroom could be a good thing. We have never had that situation on a cruise and have managed just fine by using the big mirror/vanity/desk area in the cabin. I like to shower first then sit out on the balcony and relax with a cup of coffee while they take their turns.

I did not even realize it was a Valentines Day cruise until my TA mentioned it after I booked....This is a Birthday Cruise for them.....I gifted it on one's 16 B-Day in Sept and booked it for Feb school break because my oldest will be turning 19 that week.

Funny.....I live in Norwalk.

Hi firefly333. I only know what my TA told me and that was that it included both embarkation & disembarkation....I really don't know and, like you said, I won't base my cabin decision on VIP things. I do know, however, that my 2 daughters were drooling over the double sink/vanity in the bathroom!!!I'm starting a thread regarding the VIP stuff so check it out and we'll both learn something. Thanks!!

lol, I dont think it's a issue of "learning something". Im saying it says VIP embarkation, not debarkation.

See FAQs which I looked up for you, only getting on the ship is mentioned, not getting off as a VIP on Carnival. Some claimed they were able to get VIP off the ship, but Carnival doesnt say it is included. If it included both, wouldnt the FAQs include both, not just getting on the ship?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/VIP_Checkin.aspx

Carnival's VIP Check-Inspacer.gifCarnival’s VIP Check-in is an exclusive service designed to afford our Platinum guests (10th cruise or more qualifies), and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations, with special registration privileges. This service is now available at all ports. If you are entitled to these exclusive services, please ask for our VIP Check-in immediately upon arriving at the cruise terminal.

lol, I dont think it's a issue of "learning something". Im saying it says VIP embarkation, not debarkation.

See FAQs which I looked up for you, only getting on the ship is mentioned, not getting off as a VIP on Carnival. Some claimed they were able to get VIP off the ship, but Carnival doesnt say it is included. If it included both, wouldnt the FAQs include both, not just getting on the ship?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/VIP_Checkin.aspx

Thanks firefly333!!

Archived