Passport or no passport????

Jrsygrl

We are departing on FOS 6/21/09 and will be traveling with 2 children under the age of 16. Do I need a passport for them???? The Government says NO...but I have 2 conflicting answers from RCCL reps....1 said yes the other said no. UGH! Does anybody have a concrete answer for me? Please....:confused:

We are departing on FOS 6/21/09 and will be traveling with 2 children under the age of 16. Do I need a passport for them???? The Government says NO...but I have 2 conflicting answers from RCCL reps....1 said yes the other said no. UGH! Does anybody have a concrete answer for me? Please....:confused:

The government says NO, and the answer is NO, RCI also says NO, if you are one a "closed Loop" caribbean cruise, here is the link to the RCI information

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/booking/exitBooking.do;jsessionid=00000OCnTwF8hnWMKVgiAxNWpRl:12hdhu87a?fwdTo=TravelDocumentation

The answer isn't up to the cruiseline, it's up to the government.

On the gov't website, it states that you don't need one for cruising.

But, you should consider two things. One is that if you don't have proper documentation when checking onto a cruise ship, they will not allow you to board. The checking of documents is handled by RCI employees. Two is that if there is any problem and you have to fly home to the US, you will have to apply for emergency passports where you are, essentially increasing the amount of money paid for passports.

I got my kids passports before they were needed, both of them have already had to obtain renewals. It makes the ordeal of going through immigration so much easier.

Have you looked at passport cards instead? I believe they are half the cost. I don't know a lot about them since we all have passports.

U.S. Citizens under the age of 18 will be able to travel by sea into the U.S with only a birth certificate. The only time you will be required to have a passport is if you need to fly home form one of the islands for some reason.

Here is a link to the government website:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/index.shtm

If you're going thru the trouble of getting passports, get the original book kind instead of the cards. The card do not allow you to fly into the U.S.

I am having similar trouble getting a straight answer for if we need visas (we have US passports) to enter any countries...the cruise line (RCI) says to check the gov site, now defunct. The gov sites I've found, for each country we will visit, don't say one way or the other, and some say to ask the travel agent! I'm guessing all the visas required will be on-the-spot passport stamps...any experienced insights?

I would have a passport due to the fact if anything were to happen and you had to fly home you could not do so without a passport. You would have to apply at the US embassy and pay the rush charges. It is just safer to do so.

I quoted this to the RCCL who still said yes....nobody had their story straight! I just need a definite answer!

you got the definite and correct answer from the government and from people on this thread. You do not need a passport. Whether or not it is something you should get is another matter completely. The RCI representative who told you that you needed a passport for your Freedom of the Seas cruise was incorrect. You don't and it appears that even after June you won't for that type of cruise (closed loop). Rest assured that no cruiseline will impose a passport restriction that is more restrictive than the one applied by the US government. To do so, would be financial folly for them and drive their customers to their competition which was not so foolish as to impose such a rule.:D

I agree with Happy ks: God forbid some kind of emergency situation arises, where you need to get off the ship and fly home, you're better safe than sorry.

And I think passports usually last for 10 years for teenagers, don't they? I'm just not sure because both my sons got theirs when they were less than a year old, and theirs are expiring this year and next. (they are 5 and 3) but their faces change so much when they are little as compared to teens so it would make sense for them to expire sooner. Anyway, just my 2 cents' worth...

I am having similar trouble getting a straight answer for if we need visas (we have US passports) to enter any countries...the cruise line (RCI) says to check the gov site, now defunct. The gov sites I've found, for each country we will visit, don't say one way or the other, and some say to ask the travel agent! I'm guessing all the visas required will be on-the-spot passport stamps...any experienced insights?

The visa requirement is something else altogether and will depend on what country you will be visiting. Failure to obtain a required Brazilian visa in advance, despite the fact that RCI notified all passengers of this requirement, caused over 100 passengers to be denied boarding for the recent Mariner Around the Horn sailing, and caused them to choose between incurring additional expenses in order to obtain the visa and rejoin the ship midway through the first leg of its journey or forego the cruise altogether and hope that their travel insurance will cover the loss that was due to their own lack of diligence.:rolleyes:

I agree with Happy ks: God forbid some kind of emergency situation arises, where you need to get off the ship and fly home, you're better safe than sorry.

And I think passports usually last for 10 years for teenagers, don't they? I'm just not sure because both my sons got theirs when they were less than a year old, and theirs are expiring this year and next. (they are 5 and 3) but their faces change so much when they are little as compared to teens so it would make sense for them to expire sooner. Anyway, just my 2 cents' worth...

It's 5 years for teenagers. My GD just got hers.

You know I went back and forth on this issue for a looong time in reference to my wife getting one. When we sailed on the QM2 in Nov I got a call from Cunard asking me why my wifes passport info was not entered in the system yet. I explained that she only had a BC and would not need one for this sailing. I was put on hold for a few minutes after the agent insisted she needed one...Well of course she didnt, and we resolved it, but we got her one anyways just to avoid the hassle, and make it easier...It took 9 days to receive back in Dec with just standard shipping, now we dont have to worry about it.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.html

This will tell you everything you need to know about visiting another country if you are a US Citizen. It is 100% up to you to make sure you have all the proper travel document - period. The cruise line will only guide you with information they have in their system and who the hell knows when that has been updated. The website I provided will have the most up-to-date information you will need for any and all countries.

Passports - YES - if you are leaving the country (us territory) for any reason other than by car and need to get home in an emergency, you are going to need a passport to fly home - period - no exceptions Passport card will not cut it.

Here is another question always posted...when visiting a port from a cruise ship - do I take the passport with me or leave it locked in the safe in your cabin...KEEP IT WITH YOU IF YOU ARE ON FOREIGN SOIL. You can never 100% be sure you'll make it back to the ship - you can have an accident, etc...miss your ship...guess what - you are stranded to you get your replacement with takes lots of time and lots of money.

Both DH and I have our passports. Taking our two older sons with us on the next cruise in Oct. Oldest son just turned 16 and plan on getting his passport book which will be good for 10 years. My question is regarding my 13 year old. I'm considering just getting him the passport card since the passport book is only good for 5 years since he's a child, not 10. It's not a matter of the money (well, I don't want to spend what I don't have to, lol) but do you think this is the way to go?

Thanks for the input!

Michelle,

That depends on what you expect of your travel needs. Passport card is primarily designed for land border travels, but also works for cruises. But your son's BC will also work for cruises (not for land borders or other sea borders after June 1). So what are the chances of your family taking any other international trip besides a cruise in the next 5 years? If none, I would say don't bother with the card, just use the BC until you get him a full passport. If you plan a few trips to Canada or Mexico, then you will need the card. If you are going to fly anywhere international, you need the full passport.

Bottom line is that the cruiseline will tell you no since you are leaving from a US port as well as returning to a US port, they want you as a customer & if they can get you to book with you thinking you can go without they will. HOWEVER, if you are visiting any island out of the country then for you peace of mind & financial reasons it is the wisest decision to go ahead & get the passport. No one knows what circumstances could happen once you get out to sea in international waters nor what could happen once on the islands. Let's say you have to disembark to fly home for some unknown reason. Do you really want to go through the hassle having to get emergency passports & financially pay so much more for passports in addition to airfare. Just count the passport as part of your cruising and enjoy the use their after for the following 10 years.

If you are using a BC, be sure it is a state issued version with the official seal. Copies are not accepted.

As already posted a passport card is only good for land travel between the USA and Canada or Mexico plus cruise ship sailings in the Caribbean that depart and return to the USA. No other travel outside the USA including all travel by airplane.

US bound airlines must submit a manifest of all pax and their passport info before the airline is allowed entry into US airspace. There are no exceptions.

Cruise ships leaving the US must also submit a manifest of all pax and their passport or other government issued ID info at least 60 minutes before being allowed to leave port. Again there are no exceptions.

If you need a temporary passport in a foreign country, you must apply in person at the nearest US Embassy or Consulate during normal work hours excluding US and local holidays. You should hope that one is located in the city you find yourself stranded or be prepared to travel to that city at your expense. An emergency on your part certainly does not constitute an emergency on the part of a bureaucrat! Be prepared to wait.

On the last cruise a young lady had a medical emergency luckily while we were in a Caribbean port and was evacuated from the ship and sent to the hospital. We were all watching as they put her in an ambulance along with what appeared to be her husband with their baggage. I hope they were traveling with passports. The unexpected can happen and does.

The passport is the easiest and trouble free way to travel and the cost is negligible compared to the cost of the trip.

Archived