Hong Kong: Prescription Glasses

jrcooper

It seems like I remember reading on some thread that you could get pretty good deals on glasses in Hong Kong if you brought your prescription with you. Does anyone know anything about this? If so, where is the best place to go, etc. and how long does it take to get your glasses?

We will be overnighting in Hong Kong on our Diamond Princess cruise in April.

jan

I dont think it said. Just the reporter getting herself a pair of designer glasses and how cheap it was. I also wear a complicated RX which usually costs me $300+ for the lenses and then several hundred more for the frames so $30! Wow! Worth a try. we will not be able to as our cruise ends in Shnaghai and our flight departs at noon so not gonna work for me but good luck to you.

------------------

Helen

I did it in HK last year. Bring your prescription to any of the bigger optical shops in Central HK or Nathan Road in Kowloon, they will measure your eyes' focus after you've selected a pair of glasses (this is critical) and prepare the progressive lens as per your prescription. It takes about a week and they will airmail the glasses to your home address. I brought them to my optometrist to check for accuracy and they are right on. You have to bargain a bit though as there is some flexibility on the price.

• 1 month later...

we have been shopping for my eye glasses for at least 10 years at Admand Optical Company 50 nathan rd Kowloon in the Holiday Inn shopping plaza basement. Two wonderful brothers that take care of you,I have very bad prescription,they will take your prescription and have wonderful selection of frames,you will get them back over night,I have emailed them from USA and they will repair and ship at no charge.We also have bought our daughters glasses and prescription from them,without her being there,one frame she did not like what I picked and I shipped them back to them and told them which frame I would like and they changed it no charge. there prices are very reasonable compared to what I pay in USA.

In September '08, we went to New Fei Optical in Kowloon and are very pleased. Thousands of frames to choose from, optometrists on hand if you need an eye exam, (we brought our own prescriptions), and opticians will adjust the frames for a perfect fit.

Our single vision glasses (reading glasses) were ready in 30 minutes. Progressives took a few days, so we had them shipped to the U.S. as we were leaving soon. The opticians fit the frames while we were there, so when the glasses arrived by mail they fit perfectly.

Prices were a fraction of what we paid for identical eyeglasses in the states.

We found New Fei in Suzy Gershman's "Born To Shop Hong Kong."

New Fei's address: Flat A&C, 12/F, Lucky Horse Ind. Bldg, 64 Tong Mi Road, 1-7 Bute St., Kowloon. Tel: 2398 2422.

Woody

• 5 years later...

We do this ever year we are there on business. In HK you are looking in the $200 range for designer glasses. We use a store on the side street by the Hyatt in Kowloon found him to be the most reasonable with good knowledge and quality. In Shanghai the glass market is great we bought for $35 all done in one hour. However you can not compare the quality. Look is great but they last about a year or two and if dropped frame can shatter but at that cost who cares.

Helen,

On a longshot do you remember if the article said they could make progressive lens prescriptions in such a short time as well, or only single lens? Thanks.

Henry, we had glasses made in Hong Kong last month.

My wife wears progressive and her prescription is very challenging and they were ready in 24 hours and mine which were less challenging were also ready in that time frame.

You can get glasses cheaper in places such as Vietnam and Shanghai. I preferred speeding a little more and getting them done in Hong Kong. They also adjusted all of my wife's glasses that she brought with her including one that she bought last year in the states and just found the experience to be very good.

Keith

Henry, we had glasses made in Hong Kong last month.

My wife wears progressive and her prescription is very challenging and they were ready in 24 hours and mine which were less challenging were also ready in that time frame.

You can get glasses cheaper in places such as Vietnam and Shanghai. I preferred speeding a little more and getting them done in Hong Kong. They also adjusted all of my wife's glasses that she brought with her including one that she bought last year in the states and just found the experience to be very good.

Keith

Keith, this is a 5 year old thread you are replying to.

May be a good deal ...but I think I'll stick to Costco and know that if something is wrong with my progressive prescription it can be easily taken care of...and their prices are well within costs.

For the last 15 years I have bought eye glasses in Hong Kong. I use Tai Kwong Opitical at 28 Mody Road. I wear progressive lens and have always had high quality here. They carry designer frames. Many friends have used this place also and have been very happy.

I have also had good luck with Capitol Optical in Singapore---3 locations

My price is usually about 1/2 of what I would pay in the USA.

We used many times as I said The Optical Shop on 4D Carnarvon road across from the Hyatt. Have shopped over the years many places in Hong Kong and keep ending up at his place. Reliable clean even dropped them at the hotel for us and has all the designer looks.