• Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Another idea I came across.....

The Mersey Tunnel tour. I see it doesn't tour on Sundays, but that they will arrange if there's a group of 12+. So I was wondering if you know anything about this tour and if it's worth the time, that is if I can get a group together. It sounds interesting enough to me...

http://www.merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/tunnel_tour.php

Susan

No I don't know about this tour, but in my opinion, unless you are really into tunnels, I would give it a miss. There is more than enough above ground to fill your limited time in Liverpool.

As for directions to St Luke's it is a straight walk up James Street, along Lord Street into Church Street and then straight up Bold Street. You will see the church straight ahead of you when you get to the top of Bold Street.

There are good exhibitions on wartime Liverpool in both the Maritime museum and the Museum of Liverpool. Both of these are close to the ship and both are free to enter.

There is also the Western Approaches Museum, but I believe that is closed on Sundays.

For pictures, if you just google "Liverpool Blitz" you will find many many pictures of the city.

Edited by Towncar T

I'd be grateful to anyone who is on a cruise that is visiting Liverpool if they would post a link here to their CC roll-call thread, so that I can perhaps post updates on those threads. I have looked for some, but it is a bit of a tedious task and I know I must have missed a load of them.

I'd be grateful to anyone who is on a cruise that is visiting Liverpool if they would post a link here to their CC roll-call thread, so that I can perhaps post updates on those threads. I have looked for some, but it is a bit of a tedious task and I know I must have missed a load of them.

You've probably found ours since your friends Glenn and Angie are on this cruise, but here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1594792

Looking forward to our visit to Liverpool! Thanks for all your tips.

You've probably found ours since your friends Glenn and Angie are on this cruise, but here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1594792

Looking forward to our visit to Liverpool! Thanks for all your tips.

Yes I found yours, Linda, but thanks anyway for responding. You will enjoy meeting Glenn and Angie. They are great people.:)

You found ours Jun 3rd on Celebrity Infinity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1595131&page=36

Susan

You found us for August 5 on Infinity. Thanks for thinking of all of us!

Carolyn

I love Fort Perch Rock. I once won a gold award from a national photographic organisation for an image that I took of it.

There's a live webcam from Fort Perch Rock at:

http://www.wirralcam.org/newbrighton.shtml

with views of New Brighton. Lots of nice Liverpool webcams also on that site via the menu.

Keep up the good work Tom!

• 2 weeks later...
So, is this a holiday for everyone?

Susan

Unfortunately not. We're not good at celebrating our nationality here in England.:(

Still the flags are flying at my house and on my car, as they do every year.

PS. Also a happy birthday to William Shakespeare!

Apart from the ones round Christmas and New Year, all bank holidays are on Mondays.

This year we have two in May - 6th and 27th, and one in August on the 26th.

Although government offices, and, of course, banks, are shut on those days, a tourist will not see a great deal of difference. The main thing to watch for is that trains and busses tend to run a Sunday service which is less frequent. In the past, some of our unions have picked these weekends to strike so that they can cause maximum inconvenience.

How about June 3rd? I heard that's a "bankers holiday"?

That was last year, they moved the end of May BH to link up with the Queen's Jubilee on the 4th to make a long weekend. This year we're back to normal.

See below for link to list of UK Bank/Public Holidays.

https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays

Just a heads-up for any visitors interested in wartime Liverpool. Here is a link to the Western Approaches Museum. This museum is housed in the wartime headquarters from where the battle of the Atlantic was co-ordinated. It is of great interest to history buffs and is approximately five minutes walk from the cruise ship terminal.

http://www.liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk/

Here in Colorado we still have no leaves on trees either. Still pretty barren, altho I'm seeing some buds starting to show. Tulips and Daffodils were coming in nicely till the cold winter blast of snow last Tuesday killed most of that. But this weekend has warmed up nicely - enough to barbecue today.

Too bad the Western Approaches Museum is closed on Sundays :mad: -- would love to go there. We are there on Jun 9th

Susan

Edited by englander

Here in Colorado we still have no leaves on trees either. Still pretty barren, altho I'm seeing some buds starting to show. Tulips and Daffodils were coming in nicely till the cold winter blast of snow last Tuesday killed most of that. But this weekend has warmed up nicely - enough to barbecue today.

Too bad the Western Approaches Museum is closed on Sundays :mad: -- would love to go there. We are there on Jun 9th

Susan

You've got me thinking here. I might just pen an email to the people at that museum to see if they would consider contacting the cruise companies to ask if they would organise tours to their museum, even on a Sunday when the larger cruise ships are in. It will be too late for your visit, I'm afraid, but you never know, it might mean that future Sunday visitors could enjoy even more of Liverpool's heritage. It's worth a 5 minute email anyway. Sill, you won't be short of stuff to see and do in 'The Pool' :)