Decisions, Decisions what to do

billsrobb

how much will you be using the computer? If quite a bit, take the laptop for convenience. If only to check in a couple of times while you are gone, I would just use their computers.

One good thing about having your own, is that you can go offline and type emails, then copy and paste them when you are ready to send.

Also, some ships have Wi-fi in the staterooms.

I took mine once, and thought I would use it more. I had games on it, and they made me dizzy to play them. I used the internet cafes in the ports. It was heavy and brand new and I worried about losing it and it was just a hassle.

That was my first cruise and I got it with the idea of taking it cruising because I use my desktop at home. Found for me it wasnt worth dealing with the weight and worrying about keeping up with one more thing of baggage.

That is something I really thought about long and hard before our cruise. I decided I did not want to carry anything I did not have to. It costs the same whether you use your own, or go to the internet cafe. So, it boils down to convenience. In reality, the connection is so slow on the ship that it doesn't take long to use up your block of time. It also depends on how much time you want to "buy".

Is this your Spirit cruise?

That is something I really thought about long and hard before our cruise. I decided I did not want to carry anything I did not have to. It costs the same whether you use your own, or go to the internet cafe. So, it boils down to convenience. In reality, the connection is so slow on the ship that it doesn't take long to use up your block of time. It also depends on how much time you want to "buy".

Is this your Spirit cruise?

Yes it is. I want to keep up with the Crazies board but I am leaning towards keeping the laptop at home. Like you said its a matter of convenience. I did not know if the Spirit has wireless or not.

Thanks.

Robb

I agree with the cold turkey sentiment. The iphones get locked in the safe for the week, the laptops stay at home and we remember what it was like to have actual conversations with each other!

We do go to the internet cafe briefly on the last sea day to checkin for our southwest flights though....

We both bring ours. We do not however do any work and we couldn't even if we wanted to. Where we work, we cannot bring any work home or work on computers outside of our offices. We download photos, play games while traveling to and from the cruise port, communicate with our kids(cheaper than cell phone call from a ship) and check email. We each usually log on while we're waiting for the other to get ready to go somewhere. I log on while he's in the shower and he logs on while I'm drying my hair, putting makeup on, etc.

I really think some people think that those of us who bring our laptops, that that is all we're doing, while it really is a very few minutes each day. We still spend the vast majority of our time together, talking, etc.

Yes it is. I want to keep up with the Crazies board but I am leaning towards keeping the laptop at home. Like you said its a matter of convenience. I did not know if the Spirit has wireless or not.

Thanks.

Robb

Every port Iv ever been to has a internet cafe within walking distance. Time costs from $1 to $6 an hour. Much better connections. Jump on and say hello and read a few pages of posts a couple of times a cruise to get your fix. If you are missing out on something, someone will tell you (for instance Carnival changed our cruise to Eastern the week I was on Voyager last time).

I have never brought my laptop however I am buying a new mini one so that I can after my last trip. I needed it to check in for an airline that does not sell prebooked seats only a place in line at the airport. The cost onbaord the ship is the same per minute but is significantly cheaper to send email from your own as you can type out the whole message then connect to their server.

Every port Iv ever been to has a internet cafe within walking distance. Time costs from $1 to $6 an hour. Much better connections. Jump on and say hello and read a few pages of posts a couple of times a cruise to get your fix. If you are missing out on something, someone will tell you (for instance Carnival changed our cruise to Eastern the week I was on Voyager last time).

Thanks Fly. I never thought about ports with internet cafe's. Good idea.

Be sure to go over to the Crazies thread and post Fly. People ask about you over there..

Robb

I brought my laptop to upload pictures to everyday, makes it more convenient then having 10 memory cards that could get damaged!

I also used it at about 4 am when we had people over to watch beerfest! and came in handy when stuck at airport for many hours... this year i plan on uploading the pics to walmart.com that way i can send in my order while waiting for the plane and they will be ready quickly

Archived