Shore Excursions: book your own or through cruiseline?

songbert

We'll be cruising in Alaska in August and are wondering about shore excursions. What are the advantages of booking through the cruiseline, if any?

Is it less expensive to book excursions when you arrive in a port?

(I'm always worried about getting back to the ship in time, so have

booked through the cruiseline in the past)

Any help most appreciated!:)

It depends on the excursion and the port. I booked an independent whale watching tour in Icy Straits. The price is about the same as the ship's tour, but I prefer a boat with only 6 people.

In Skagway, I booked the ship's tour for the train and glacier hike. I found the website for that tour, but the company said I should book through the ship. Since it's an all day tour, it is more convenient to me to go with the ship in case we get back late.

In Ketchikan, I booked an independent float plane tour to Misty Fjords.

The best thing to do is to spend a lot of time on this board reading about different ports and excursions.

I always book independently unless there is no choice (some excursions are only available through the ships). There are a few reasons for my choice: I want to be able to talk to the person who I'm going out with; I want the operator to get all of the money I'm paying; and the independents virtually always offer smaller groups so a more personalized tour. Don't believe the cruiseline scare stories about being late and missing your ship - in Alaska, it just doesn't happen, and some operators here even guarantee that they will pay for transport to your next port if it ever did.

Murray

We'll be cruising in Alaska in August and are wondering about shore excursions. What are the advantages of booking through the cruiseline, if any?

Is it less expensive to book excursions when you arrive in a port?

(I'm always worried about getting back to the ship in time, so have

booked through the cruiseline in the past)

Any help most appreciated!:)

One caveat, don't wait to book a tour until you get to the port! In Alaska the good tours go fast and you would spend too much of your precious land time trying to get something arranged. Use the cruise ship's list of tours and see what interests you and then use this board to see what the members have to say. This board is a treasure trove of good information.

Enjoy your trip - Alaska is an amazing place!!

Advantages to booking through the ship are

- you may not have to pay in full right away,

- their cancellation policy is likely much more lenient than booking on your own

Advantages to booking independently are

- the excursions that you can get are more personalized - only 6 on a whale watching tour vs.???

-they're generally less expensive since you're not paying both the cruiseline and the tour operator

For our upcoming June Alaska cruise, I booked 2 shore excursions in Skagway through the ship. I booked 1 excursion in Ketchikan and 1 in Juneau independently. Even though I booked all of these in the past couple of weeks, my first choice in Juneau (Harv and Marv's) didn't have room for us and my second choice (Orca Enterprises) only had one time slot left.

I would book independent excursions as soon as you can to ensure that you get what you want.

Any operator recommendations for independent excursions? One person recommended Shoretrips.com, but I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

I never recommend shoretrips. They are a booking agent only and run no tours. Commission based business. It is ALWAYs superior to book direct. For independent operators- you have to do your homework first and determine WHAT tours you are looking for, then find a vendor. Otherwise if you want to look at hundreds of listings go to http://www.traveljuneau.com http://www.visit-ketchikan.com http://www.skagway.com etc

I am a long time user of independent tour operators in Alaska- 15 years. They certainly are superior for personal attention, smaller groups, longer tours. Do NOT expect big differences in prices.

There are several points I recommend- ALWAYS disclose to the vendor, your port times, and go with THEIR scheduling recommendation. You don't see ANY posts complaining about people missing their ships because of vendors- they know what they are doing.

IF you miss your ship, it will be totally your fault for poor planning.

It really depends what you want to do. What are your interests? We have always booked through the cruiseline, because of same past scares as you. But have found for Alaska, the shore excursions are EXTREMELY expensive, so even to save a few dollars was helpful in booking independently. I wouldn't use Shore Trips, they aren't an independent vendor, they just book things for you with the vendors, same as the ship does.

For whale watching...Harv and Marv

For Misty Fjord floatplane...Island Wings

For White Pass Rail & Yukon / Dog Mush...Chilkoot Charters

Again research "independent vendors" for Alaska on this board and you will find many threads with great information.

just because i said i would do this, and because it's 1a.m. and i'm not ready for bed yet, here are some #s and websites for Skagway and my comments and directions....

I have not been there since 2006 so if the # is changed, i guess you'll find out when you call it~! *sorry*

white pass and yukon route train: http://www.wpyr.com or call 1-800-343-7373 or 907-983-2217 or email them at info@whitepass.net

klondike gold drege only 1.7 miles from downtown skagway..... http://www.klondikegolddredge.com or call tollfree 1-877-983-3175

the Days of '98 show GoldRush Productions: daysof98@aptalaska.net or call 907-983-2545 if that doesn't work try thedaysof98show@hotmail.com or try http://www.alaskan.com/daysof98

Jewell Gardens (the best kept secret of Skagway - visit here and see the enormous vegetables and other garden items~! Also the cute little train that goes around the garden... Overall, a beautiful way to spend a beautiful day if you are not on a tour~!!) Pick up a map for a self-guided walking tour... http://www.jewellgardens.com or phone 907-983-2111

the Mountain Shop (outerwear, etc) http://www.packerexpeditions.com ((someone was writing here asking me about this, to that person if you are reading: Yes, you were right, it is the Packer Expedition company (the Mountain Shop is their shop across the street from their "home".... ) 907-983-2544

Skagway Air Service (mostly for touring or for trips we took to Juneau) these guys are the best pilots... they deliver the mail everyday, too~!! http://www.skagwayair.com or call 907-983-3318

if you wish to go "glacier flightseeing" in a small plane rather than a helicopter, try the L.A.B. Flying Service, locally in skagway they are on Broadway one block before Wells Fargo on the left side of Broadway... 907-983-2471... or tollfree 1800-426-0543. they also fly in Juneau.

Gold Rush Trail Camp and salmon bake..... 907-983-3333

sourdough car rentals rental@aptalaska.com or call 907-209-5026 (year round phone) or local phone 907-983-2523 or http://www.geocities.com/sourdoughcarrentals

Bicycle rental: is available at... Sockeye Cycle CALL 907-983-2851 .....go up Broadway to 5th and make a left turn, you'll see it there on your left about 30yards from the corner..... you can rent a bicycle as well as helmet... these guys are all bike-lovers and will really help you out....

If you are determined to do the helicopter thing but not with your ship's tours, you can *try* to book an independent tour (but this is virtually impossible as they are pretty well booked primarily by the ships.... but you can try.....) http://www.temscoair.com

Pick the appropriate location, skagway or juneau.... or call toll free 1-866-683-2900 or 907-983-2900 in skagway; or toll free 1-877-789-9501 or 907-789-9501 for Juneau

Chilkoot Trail (Excursions) (hike the chilkoot trail, pickup, dropoff, shuttle, Dyea, and Log Cabin) http://www.frontierexcursions.com or email info@frontierexcursions.com or call toll free 1-877-983-2512

for other independent tours needs, try:

M&M tours...... licensed by the city of skagway... 1-866-983-3900 or 1-907-983-3900 http://www.skagwayadventures.com While they do offer just about everything that is available on your ship, they are a small operation and do not have the capacity capability of the tour companies that the cruise ships contract with... this is a good choice for large groups/big families especially if you are challenged by the cost that your group would incur on the ship's tour (total$)

Skagway Float Tours, they offer a scenic float or a hike and float.... I did the hike and float with my mom and it was excellent... i had a great guide who truly loved the outdoors and about hiking and was very knowledgable about everything around us, and we had also a fabulous time on the raft, it was not rough at all, it was totally flat but very nice; the guides to all the rafting/steering/paddling, plus they all go through extensive training prior to the seaon, plus they are all pretty much recruited from other float companies i.e. in Colorado etc, and they come up for a summer in skagway.... great people.....907-983-3688 http://www.skagwayfloat.com

would you like a kayak tour? try sea kayaking adventures.... 907-983-3769 no exp. necessary, 2-person kayaks... all with gear and instructions, 2-and-a-half-hour tours, courtesy pickup and dropoff etc., all accompanied by an experienced naturalist....

the Skagway Streetcar company (also utilized by the ships)... 907-983-2908 very cute and fun, girls (driver/guides) in full authentic costume~!

If you would like a LOCAL person to give you a great tour, consider GWEN - she operates the "Discover Skagway" tours... 1-866-983-TOUR.... she has vans for groups small or large, she is excellent.... go to discoverskagway.com or also call.......1-954-292-0161 or 907-983-2134 Her tours are very similar to the ship's "Skagway highlights" tour or something similarly named.... When i was there she offered combo tours

i.e. Historic Skagway+JewellGardens+theWhitePassSummit+a final stop at "the Overlook"......

or Historic Skagway+GoldRushCemetary+WhitePassSummit+the Overlook......

or Historic Skagway+GoldRushCemetary+JewellGardens+the Overlook

all tours are about 2-and-a-half hours, group rates available

Other businesses you'll find in Skagway that are intersesting to go into and see how they "live" up in these parts:

The Skaguay News Depot (and bookstore) (and no, that is not a typo) they have a website at http://www.skagwaybooks.com (that is the correct spelling, too) or phone 907-983-3354 it is open year-round.......

the Skagway True Value Hardware (honest~! i've known people to just go there to see what is sold up here - !!)

the Internet Cafe (where all the cruise-ship crew go for internet time~!) it's on 2nd street at the corner of State (one street over from Broadway) take Broadway to 2nd... then walk over one more block...... It's a very run-down-looking white building with a blue front porch and 99% of the people "hanging out" here are the ships crew but the staff is very helpful to the passengers, too, here is where you can "borrow" a phone for 2-bucks and make a call back to the states with a calling card.... the pay-phones in Skagway are few and far between.... if you can get to one before a crew member does.... FYI, not all cellphone service is available in skagway, so if you bring your cell phone, it may or may not work...

Also, just a few more FYI's......... you'll also find in Skagway.....

the Fraternal Order of Eagles, #25 (it's behind the building where the Days of '98 show takes place)

an Elks Lodge (on state street)

a Wells Fargo Bank, right next to the US post office (on broadway) (now Wells Fargo and Wachovia are joining, so if you have Wachovia, you can use the ATM here for that)

a grocery store (a couple blocks over from broadway, on either 3rd or 4th)

one gas station~! (on 2nd and state, right beside the internet cafe)

and don't forget the Skagway Convention and Visitor Bureau, inside the AB Building (covered with little twigs and sticks, you can't miss it)... on the corner of 2nd and Broadway 907-983-2854

also don't forget the KLONDIKE GOLD RUSH (Skagway) NATIONAL HISTORIC PARK VISITOR'S CENTER on the corner of 1st and Broadway (right beside the train depot and behind the big Red and Black snow-blower train engine) The park rangers are here and they give free tours around the historic parts of the town, usually 3 or 4 times a day, maybe more, in the busy season -- definitely a must-do if you're not touring and want something interesting and free....

an interesting place that I never made it to... the Skagway Sculpture and Flower Garden... on Spring Street across from city hall... go up Broadway to 8th and turn right.....

also nearby here is the Skagway Museum... as well as the famous all-girls school.... (the name escapes me at the moment...)

oh don't forget to go inside CORRINGTON'S (shop) on Broadway, there's a free 'museum' inside containing all sorts of interesting artifacts from the history of this area including goldminer's things as well as animal artifacts.....

the Red Onion Saloon gives a tour of the upstairs (it was a brothel) but you should know to look for the time (written on a chalkboard i think) and maximum capacity of the tour, and be there for when they announce it, and i think it's just $5 or something like that, very cute little tour, given by a "madam" in full costume, of course......... 907-983-2222

for dining i can recommend a few of my favorite places:

1-the Haven Cafe (on State between 8th and 9th) (one street over from Broadway, just go up Broadway and turn left on 8th, then turn right on State) a small "artsy-type" coffee-shop with handmade sandwiches and all sorts of healthy fare, as well as a wide variety of interesting coffees/latte's/mocha's/etc... and an amazing array of reading materials~!!

2-i can't remember the name but it's on 3rd, just go up Broadway to 3rd, turn left, then you'll see it on the right, it has mostly italian menu and pizza but it's delicious, especially the pasta with seafood, they usually combo halibut with salmon, or atleast they did for me~! de-lish~!!!

3-Sabrosa's = this funky and fun little "dive" was my favorite of all~!! a couple of gals ran this joint, they were awesome~! everything is made fresh to order. range of choices include eNORMous burritoes, massively stuffed baked potatoes, omelets, and giant sandwiches.... all the trendy 'healthy' drinks, etc,... my favorite is the stuffed baked potato topped with shredded chicken and topped with salsa, sour cream, and cheese......mmmmmmmmmm~! i miss it~! It's on Broadway...... go up Broadway toward the Wells Fargo bank and post office... it's across the street.... tucked into a little alleyway.... look for a yellow-painted fence and vinyl-covered tables......

well i hope i didn't leave anything out...... ya'll just go on and have some fun~!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: i am not related to nor do i have any business association with any of the above mentioned organizations. just passing on the info I have gathered from when I lived there.

:-)

Thanks so much for the great information. My DH and I are headed to Alaska to celebrate our anniversary with our first cruise. I am looking forward to it so much that I disappear into the black hole of my laptop each night via this website. There is so much info which is great because there are so many options to decide. Thanks again for everyone sharing their knowledge with us.

I suppose it really depends on whether the potential savings are worth ones own time in chasing them.

i'm a chronic saver, i prefer that name to "pack rat" haha, anyway,

You're welcome to all, glad to be of help.

Skagway truly is a little gem of a town and i loved living there for that short time that i did so.

I'm going to try to post some photos exclusively of skagway; i'll let you know here on these boards somehow.

Love independent tours that I book direct with the operator when I am on a land vacation.

When we are on a cruise our number one priority for a land excursion is safety and to never be left standing on the dock watching the ship go by, by.

Nothing else matters.

I have some of each booked for my next Alaska cruise. Harv & Marv were booked in Juneau, so I reserved the Photo Safari excursion through the ship. Technically that can be booked directly with the vendor, but they ask that cruise passengers book it through the ship. We'll be in Victoria from 7 p.m. until midnight, so I booked the evening excursion to the Butchart Gardens through the ship. I don't want to be looking for taxis at that time of night.

In Skagway, I booked the 9-hour rail/bus excursion to Carcross directly with Chilkoot Charters. We went with them to the Yukon in 2007 and had a great day, They also guarantee that they'll get you to the next port if you should miss the ship. While in Ketchikan, I think we'll either take the city bus to Totem Bight State Park or walk to the Totem Heritage Center in town.

I am a long time user of independent tour operators in Alaska- 15 years. They certainly are superior for personal attention, smaller groups, longer tours. Do NOT expect big differences in prices.

There are several points I recommend- ALWAYS disclose to the vendor, your port times, and go with THEIR scheduling recommendation. You don't see ANY posts complaining about people missing their ships because of vendors- they know what they are doing.

IF you miss your ship, it will be totally your fault for poor planning.

On occasion, the best independent vendor just happens to work with the cruise lines, in addition to booking tours independently. Case-in-point, in Valdez, the Columbia Glacier tour, conducted by Stan Stephens tours, gets nothing but rave reviews on these boards. You have a choice to book directly with Stan or through the cruise line. In a case like this, is there any advantage to booking directly?

Chilkoot Trail (Excursions) (hike the chilkoot trail, pickup, dropoff, shuttle, Dyea, and Log Cabin) www.frontierexcursions.com or email info@frontierexcursions.com or call toll free 1-877-983-2512

I understand that the owners of Frontier Excursions just sold their company. Do you know anything about the new owners? Do they have any experience running a company that provides tours in the Yukon?

On occasion, the best independent vendor just happens to work with the cruise lines, in addition to booking tours independently. Case-in-point, in Valdez, the Columbia Glacier tour, conducted by Stan Stephens tours, gets nothing but rave reviews on these boards. You have a choice to book directly with Stan or through the cruise line. In a case like this, is there any advantage to booking directly?

The difference could be price and shorter time with a cruise contracted boat tour. A problem with the Princess 14 day cruises has been port times that do not allow independent booking. I know this is the case out of Seward. Verify this isn't the case in Valdez??

The difference could be price and shorter time with a cruise contracted boat tour. A problem with the Princess 14 day cruises has been port times that do not allow independent booking. I know this is the case out of Seward. Verify this isn't the case in Valdez??

Actually, it's not the amount of time Princess spends in Seward (10 hours) that's the problem, it's the actual schedule. The independents leave at 8 am (returning at 2 pm), 11:30 am (returning at 5:30 pm), and 12:30 pm (returning at 5:30 pm). The Pacific Princess arrives at 8:00 and leaves at 6:00 (with the all-aboard at 5:30 pm). If either Princess or the independents would adjust their schedule by 30 minutes, there would be no issue.

The only two ports that the Pacific Princess leaves early are Ketchikan (leaves at 2:00) and Juneau (leaves at 3:00).

• 2 months later...

Archived