Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

I don't recall seeing any mention of this notepad and search doesn't show any results.

Any comments on the Lenovo Ideapad S10? The price seems good and reviews are OK. Maybe its time to spend some of that tax refund and support the economy. :)

I don't recall seeing any mention of this notepad and search doesn't show any results.

Any comments on the Lenovo Ideapad S10? The price seems good and reviews are OK. Maybe its time to spend some of that tax refund and support the economy. :)

When I was looking for one I asked some friends what they had, and one friend had this one and loves it. He didn't say much about it since I was just concerned with size and weight, but he said this: This one is a no-brainer, I practically take it everywhere. And I love that mine comes with two batteries. one of them keeps the whole thing close to 2 pounds, the other one adds some weight and bulk but it will go almost all day.

I purchased the Acer about a month ago now and still love it and love bringing it with me whenever the mood strikes! Thank you to all who (unknowingly) gave great recommendations and such! I can hardly wait to take my "baby" to Alaska in May!! :D

I considered this one, too, but decided to go with the Asus 1000HE after trying out the HA model at Staples. Wanted a bigger hard drive & really liked Asus's keyboard & track pad. I did read somewhere that Lenovo doesn't have the greatest customer service, whereas Asustek apparently offers a superior warranty.

In that case, buy as much RAM as that puppy will hold and your pocketbook can stand! :D:D

Thanks, JT -- I ordered my 1000HE yesterday w/o the extra RAM (forgot to add it). Will see how it works as is since the order also went out yesterday. I can still order the 2GB & have store personnel install it on my way to the airport the day we leave for our cruise.

This little netbook is the most exciting part of getting ready for our trip!

Riana, I'm sitting out on the deck with a glass of wine looking at Cruise Critic on my 1000He. I've got Pandora radio playing on another tab on the web browser. Life is good.

I ordered the additional ram and installed it myself with no problem what so ever. In fact, if you'll google a question about the extra ram installation, there are a couple of videos showing you exactly how to to it. One trick without getting too techie is after you install you have to change computer's bios to recognize the memory or the computer only sees 1 instead of 2. It's real easy though. After you install the new memory, restart the EEEPC and push F2 as it starts up. That will get you into setup. All you have to do then is to push F10 to save and exit. I will ask you if you wish to save and exit and you do. Once you do that, you're good to go.

Hope you enjoy!! Pete

Well I did it, today I went out and bought the pretty little white Acer Aspire One. It took about a three quarters of an hour to install everything and now I'm good to go. What a beautiful little machine - the keyboard is certainly larger than the fold-up one on my PDA. I'm not sure about going without a mouse, however, so I might just bring over my micro-mouse from my big laptop. I'm going to install photos for screen-savers, etc. later, but I wanted to try this out as soon as I could. I'm lovin' it!!!!!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Well I did it, today I went out and bought the pretty little white Acer Aspire One. It took about a three quarters of an hour to install everything and now I'm good to go. What a beautiful little machine - the keyboard is certainly larger than the fold-up one on my PDA. I'm not sure about going without a mouse, however, so I might just bring over my micro-mouse from my big laptop. I'm going to install photos for screen-savers, etc. later, but I wanted to try this out as soon as I could. I'm lovin' it!!!!!

Which size screen did you get? My daughter just got the 10inch and I have the 8.9 inch.

Carol, I've got the 8.9" screen - I looked at other brands with the 10" screen and thought they were too big. I wanted the smallest thing possible (other than my PDA) to carry around on our vacation. I'm not having any trouble seeing the screen and have already become accustomed to a compressed keyboard. I might end up with the occasional \ instead of hitting the return key, but other than that I'm really enjoying this little piece of technology.

Carol, I've got the 8.9" screen - I looked at other brands with the 10" screen and thought they were too big. I wanted the smallest thing possible (other than my PDA) to carry around on our vacation. I'm not having any trouble seeing the screen and have already become accustomed to a compressed keyboard. I might end up with the occasional \ instead of hitting the return key, but other than that I'm really enjoying this little piece of technology.

I have the 8.9 screen too and love it.

Riana, I'm sitting out on the deck with a glass of wine looking at Cruise Critic on my 1000He. I've got Pandora radio playing on another tab on the web browser. Life is good.

I ordered the additional ram and installed it myself with no problem what so ever. In fact, if you'll google a question about the extra ram installation, there are a couple of videos showing you exactly how to to it. One trick without getting too techie is after you install you have to change computer's bios to recognize the memory or the computer only sees 1 instead of 2. It's real easy though. After you install the new memory, restart the EEEPC and push F2 as it starts up. That will get you into setup. All you have to do then is to push F10 to save and exit. I will ask you if you wish to save and exit and you do. Once you do that, you're good to go.

Hope you enjoy!! Pete

Cheers, Pete! I envy you, but will be on baord myself in less than a month. My 1000HE arrived last Wed. & I LOVE it! Thanks for the BIOS tip. I did watch one "how to" video about installing the new RAM. 1GB isn't bad, but does bog down during downloads, copying, etc., so I will get the 2GB for sure.

Happy cruising!

Does anyone know if you can RAM to the Acer as well? I have been searching the web and cannot find an answer. I have the 8.9 screen and love it. I have a 3 cell battery and just bought a 6 cell for added time.

Hope someone has an answer to my question regarding RAM. If so, what do you buy and where do you get it? How do you install it?

Thanks for all the answers in advance

terri

Does anyone know if you can RAM to the Acer as well? I have been searching the web and cannot find an answer. I have the 8.9 screen and love it. I have a 3 cell battery and just bought a 6 cell for added time.

Hope someone has an answer to my question regarding RAM. If so, what do you buy and where do you get it? How do you install it?

terri

I believe installing it is a bit more difficult than it is for the Asus. Slightly more taking apart required. Here is one URL for you:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/08/29/how-to-add-ram-to-the-acer-aspire-one-netbook/

Just Google others if you need them. Maybe also check out the Acer or Netbook forums through Google, too. I'm not positive, but I think all Netbooks run on So-Dimm DDR 2 667 RAM. A computer store should have it. I'm getting mine online from NCIX.com. Good luck & enjoy your Acer.

I believe installing it is a bit more difficult than it is for the Asus. Slightly more taking apart required. Here is one URL for you:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/08/29/how-to-add-ram-to-the-acer-aspire-one-netbook/

Just Google others if you need them. Maybe also check out the Acer or Netbook forums through Google, too. I'm not positive, but I think all Netbooks run on So-Dimm DDR 2 667 RAM. A computer store should have it. I'm getting mine online from NCIX.com. Good luck & enjoy your Acer.

Thanks for the link. On second thought, I will leave it alone. That looks a bit foreboding to me. 1g will do the trick.

I love the little thing. It is perfect for traveling. Even when not on a cruise. We will be spending 3 weeks in France this summer and that is just the perfect thing to take with me. I just got an adapter so that I can use it in Europe.

Thanks again for the help. I like to take things apart. But this is a bit much.

Terri

I had a weird experience yesterday. I was in my den and posted on facebook with my mini. When I came into my office, I found several pages printed out from facebook in my printer. I know I can print from the mini to my office computer, but I didn't hit print. No idea why it happened.

Terri - 3 weeks in France--wow! Your little Acer will definitely be a treat to have along. I know I'm going to enjoy taking my Asus on our 3 week Panama Canal cruise next month. In fact, I'm using it to write this message. Can't believe how clear the screen is.

Riana

Afer reading this thread and deciding to give a Netbook to my husband for his birthday, we both went shopping for it and ended up choosing the MSI Wind. There were a number of features that steered us in that direction, but one that I don't remember reading here was the matt screen vs the glossy screen. It was very difficult to read the screen if you were not directly in front of it on the glossy, but we could both read the screen from all angles on a matt finish screen. This could be something to think about if you are using it outdoors in bright sunlight. Thought I would mention this for others looking at the pros and cons of which Netbook to purchase. Whatever you choose, I know you will enjoy it.

terri

I found a web page that describes how to do it. It involves removing the keyboard.

I sent an email to Acer tech support after I got mine, asking if upgrading the memory was supported. They said no, it would void my warranty.

If you still want to try it, here is the link: http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/08/28/how-to-add-ram-to-the-acer-aspire-one-netbook/

The RAM to buy is PC2-5300 RAM, in SODIMM form. Here's one I bought, but have not used, since I don't want to void my warranty.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1734084&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEDBLET328ORDER-_-03order&SRCCODE=WEDBLET328ORDER

The Aspire One has 512MB on the motherboard (not replaceable), and 512MB in an expansion slot. The second 512MB is theoretically replaceable, but the largest I could find were 1MB cards, so, even if you follow the procedure in the link and accept the fact that it might void your warranty, you can only upgrade to 1.5GB. After the reply from Acer, I decided that with the relatively slow processor (1.6GHz), I wasn't going to be doing any CPU-intensive applications that would be significantly helped by additional memory. And, with the tiny screen, I'm not going to have lots of windows open and lots of programs running, which would also use a lot of memory.

BTW, to ger_77, my Aspire One came with a miniature mouse, in addition to the trackpad on the keyboard. AFAIK, that is standard Acer issue. Did you possibly get one of the refurbished ones with a 120GB disk instead of the 160GB disk?

Paul

Has anyone put their netbook in a cabin safe on a ship or hotel room?

I got a Dell mini 10 about 2 weeks ago. I plan to take it on my travels to access e-mail, keep a daily log and post to a blog I am setting up.

I will probably use the mini to download photos and to dump bad photos.

Thanks for any info on Safes and mini computers.

MSEM

PS Greece has a lot of free or almost free Wi-Fi. You may need to buy a coffee or soda for the password.

Archived