American Express Platinum revisited

Martita B.

Would someone please explain the Am/Exp. Platinum shipboard credit. I know this issue has been discussed before but I would like to clarify if booking a cruise thru' a travel agent, but making payment with a platinum card entitles you to the credit.

Thanks!

Martita B.

It should make no difference whether you book through a TA or not, although some TAs don't like to do the paperwork AmEx requires so they will claim the credit is not available. I would add that with some cruise lines the AmEx credit cannot be combined with the cruise line's onboard credits given as part of a special promotion.

To add, you can use any amex card as long as you OWN a platinum card. (regular or business, not miles or hotel perk platinum etc) Cruiseyguy is correct, most of the time it cannot be combined with a TA credit such as a virtuoso creidt. You need to choose which is a better deal for you.

Host Dan

Is that you can't combine, It's really seabourn that gives you the money not a/x You can combine if you own the company stock. It's not very well advertised but if you own 100 shares you get 250.00 ship board credit. If you own more I can't remember the exact amount you can get more. you can look it up on there web site.

Thanks for the information. In the past I have paid for Seabourn cruises with my Am/Exp. platinum many times but my former Travel Agent never mentioned my receiving any shipboard credit.

Now I will certainly request my credit from my present TA.

Thanks again :p

MB

Thanks for the information. In the past I have paid for Seabourn cruises with my Am/Exp. platinum many times but my former Travel Agent never mentioned my receiving any shipboard credit.

Now I will certainly request my credit from my present TA.

Thanks again :p

MB

Another good reason hes your former TA.. ;)

Host Dan

Dan

You mentioned a Virtuoso credit ~~ my understanding is "if you do not participate in their ashore: tour, lunch or whatever" you receive $150 shipboard credit ~~ Question....if your TA is a Virtuoso member would he/she apply any shipboard credit?

Thanks!

MB

Cruiseyguy is correct, most of the time it cannot be combined with a TA credit such as a virtuoso creidt.
In 2006, The AmEx Platinum shipboard credit was allowed with the complimentary Virtuoso shore excursion but not the the Virtuoso shipboard credit (Virtuoso gives you a choice). Check with your TA or Seabourn to make certain.

Also, "partnered" AmEx Platinum cards are not accepted for complimentary access to airline VIP rooms before your flight, as I learned flying home from my last cruise on Delta even though it was an upgraded to business class with miles ticket. It was $30 per stop as the $50 one day pass has apparently vanished.

Peachy

I have used my American Express Platinum to access many airline Exec. Airport Lounges all over the world ~~BUT American Airlines will not accept the Am/Exp Plat to enjoy their lounges. (nor flying business/1st class on AA)

It's a mixed up, crazy world!:confused:

Pinkie

The program that gets you the perks on cruises with your Plat AMEX is called "cruise privileges". The perks for Seabourn are:

• $300 per suite shipboard credit
  • Exclusive "suite dreams" turndown service (once per cruise)
  • Complimentary bottle of wine

I've never tried to access American Airlines' but per the AMEX website:

Access airport lounges around the world, including American Airlines Admirals Club®, Continental Airlines Presidents Club®, Delta Crown Room Club®, and Northwest Airlines WorldClubs®, compliments of the Airport Club Access Program.

Hope that helps!

I have traveled on Seabourn booking both directly with the cruise line, and through American Express Platinum as my travel agent. When AMEX is your travel agent, your on board Platinum card credit applies, including a bottle of wine, and a brandy turn-down service one evening. The amount of on board credit is dependent upon the length of the cruise/and whether you are sailing single or double. The only combinable on board credit I have been able to realize is the Carnival Stock Ownership (100 shares or more) credit. I did have some problem at first getting these credits "combinable", but after several discussions with Seabourn staff, they are definitely combinable. I have never traveled with Virtuoso, so I do not know their rules/relationships with Seabourn. I do know that if you book directly with Seabourn, having a Platinum card gets you no additional on board credit.

Gigismom

loungeboy

Sorry for posting misinformation....I tried access to the AA Admiral's Club (Houston) a few years ago using my Am/Exp/ Plat. card and they were not partnered at that time but I just checked and in Aug. 2007, AA starting accepting the card as access.

I'm glad to know this! :p Thanks~~

Martita B.

Martita,

When your present TA gets you the $300 shipboard credit make you he/she gives you the tracking number before you leave for your cruise. That way if there is any problem with the credit you can show the number to the purser and that will make his job easier with Blue Lagoon to get it for you.

I have used my American Express Platinum to access many airline Exec. Airport Lounges all over the world ~~BUT American Airlines will not accept the Am/Exp Plat to enjoy their lounges. (nor flying business/1st class on AA)

It's a mixed up, crazy world!:confused:

Miss Pinkie

Sorry for the confusion but "partnered AmEx Platinum cards" was the term Seabourn Reservations used in denying my onboard credit and Delta in denying me access to the Crown Room. In my case, it was a Delta SkyMiles AmEx Platinum card. My TA has had similar responses to Costco AmEx Platinum cards as well.

I need to find out what the annual fees are for an AmEx Platinum card and weigh that with the value of shipboard credits, complimentary airport lounge access, etc. and maybe get one (in addition to my Delta SkyMiles AmEx Platinum card).

On our recent cruise we were able to combine our shareholder credit and a new passenger referral credit. We used Virtuoso and used their amenity (an excellent tour) so we could not use the Amex Platinum benefit. Had we forgone the Virtuoso benefit, I'm not sure if the Platinum credit could have been combined with shareholder and referral credits.

Thanks Johnnycruise.

Is it $250.00 per 14 day leg or per 14 days and over. Since the flights are so long we tend to book long holidays which means we do several B2Bs.

After seeing how much paperwork there is and how many accounts have to opened to buy foreign shares I just want to be sure of all my info for the TA.

Jean

Archived