Advice on Getting to Civitavecchia

Hi! I am looking at booking a cruise that departs from and arrives at Rome - specifically the port of Civitavecchia. From my research, it appears that the port is a long way from the airport and city and that transport by coach etc is extemely expensive.

Does anyone out there have any advice on a more economical way to get to Civitavecchia from Rome? I have heard there is a train - how convenient is this and is the cost much cheaper - also is there a train from Rome Airport that goes directly to Civitavecchia.

Thanks!:confused:

Hi! I am looking at booking a cruise that departs from and arrives at Rome - specifically the port of Civitavecchia. From my research, it appears that the port is a long way from the airport and city and that transport by coach etc is extemely expensive.

Does anyone out there have any advice on a more economical way to get to Civitavecchia from Rome? I have heard there is a train - how convenient is this and is the cost much cheaper - also is there a train from Rome Airport that goes directly to Civitavecchia.

I have been doing a lot of research on this. If you have a lot of bags it is not recommened to take the train, other wise it is the best choice. How many people in your party? I am traveling alone, so everything is pretty expensive.. but if there are alot of people in your group it really cuts down on the cost.

The cost is considerably cheaper by train; specifically Euro 9 for two people from Roma Termini. Take Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini and transfer to the train for Civitavecchia. There is no train from FCO to Civitavecchia.

Strongly suggest that you view my Italian Trains web site by clicking on the link in my sig line below where all aspects of riding the train, schedules, etc are included.

One word of caution about the trains is to have your valuables in a safe place. A lot of people on our October cruise were pickpocketed and flat out knocked down and robbed when they took the train from the airport to Civitavecchia. We booked a hotel in Civitavecchia and they had a van to the hotel at a cost, of course. The upside of the cost is that they also picked up other cruisers staying at the hotel (it is usually entirely cruise people) and divided the cost of the van. The van to the port from the hotel was free for guests. This was for guests staying at Hotel Traiano and Hotel Bramonte (sister hotels). The train to Civitavecchia was easy, but we met so many cruisers who lost their money (from money belts) or had the pocketbooks/wallets yanked from them on the train. One lady's shoulder was actually dislocated by the thief. Just be careful!

People were pickpocketed from a money belt? Seriously? That would have been interesting to watch. They didn't do something silly like leave the money belt in a bag or something did they? The trains are normally quite safe so this report is rather alarming, I am not doubting what you say, but it contradicts many other reports. I am curious if you talked to these people directly or if this is a heard it from so-and-so that heard it from so-and-so and the reality was somewhat different than what you describe. Normally reasonable precautions keep the thieves away as they will go after the easier targets.

One word of caution about the trains is to have your valuables in a safe place. A lot of people on our October cruise were pickpocketed and flat out knocked down and robbed when they took the train from the airport to Civitavecchia. We booked a hotel in Civitavecchia and they had a van to the hotel at a cost, of course. The upside of the cost is that they also picked up other cruisers staying at the hotel (it is usually entirely cruise people) and divided the cost of the van. The van to the port from the hotel was free for guests. This was for guests staying at Hotel Traiano and Hotel Bramonte (sister hotels). The train to Civitavecchia was easy, but we met so many cruisers who lost their money (from money belts) or had the pocketbooks/wallets yanked from them on the train. One lady's shoulder was actually dislocated by the thief. Just be careful!

Do you mean a fanny pack? I find it hard to believe that pickpockets got to someone's money belt IF properly worn under one's clothing!?!?!? :eek:

Hi, I am going to hire a car from Rome airport to Civ. Port on July 8th. The CC replies on this thread and other places have been extremely helpful in explaining the ins & outs of taking much cheaper train/pblic tranps. etc but this is my family's best options for several reason, not the least in that we'll be tired from our transatlantic fligght, disoriented in a non-Engish speaking country, and concernd that we get to the boat in time (sadly we dont have the ability to fly in the night before).

I am looking for others to share our transportation--these limos can take up to 8 passengers, so if you are a party of 1-5 people, please be in touch! Thanks so much!!

I too find it hard to believe the alarmist stories about these robberies on trains. We travelled on trains in Italy last year without any problems and intend to do the same this year for our transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia - complete with bags :)

We too are staying at the hotel Traiano and they quoted 110 Euros for the airport transfer, which is significantly more than the 36 Euros which the train will cost for the 4 of us. There was no mention of sharing the cost with other passengers.

If you do decide to take the train there's a very good thread here regarding how to do it http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=893729&highlight=italy+train+ticket+cost

People were pickpocketed from a money belt? Seriously? That would have been interesting to watch. They didn't do something silly like leave the money belt in a bag or something did they? The trains are normally quite safe so this report is rather alarming, I am not doubting what you say, but it contradicts many other reports. I am curious if you talked to these people directly or if this is a heard it from so-and-so that heard it from so-and-so and the reality was somewhat different than what you describe. Normally reasonable precautions keep the thieves away as they will go after the easier targets.

Yes, the gentleman with the money belt was also knocked off of his feet (he was probably in his seventies and was keeper of the roll call on our cruise) and somehow got all of his money from the belt. We did speak to him as well. It really aged him overnight and he stayed on the ship for several of the ports. He lost $800 in cash (foolish to carry so much, I know) and also the thief ran up his credit cards. The ship allowed him to use the ship to shore phones at no cost to call all of his credit cards and cancel them. The lady with the dislocated shoulder we met in person after we heard about the incident. She was in a sling and the ship's doctor popped it back in. She was with a group of people and her DH when this happened. The thief was faster. Again, they were an older couple. She said she felt lucky to be alive and not more seriously injured. The other stories about the train to Civitavecchia were second hand.

I too find it hard to believe the alarmist stories about these robberies on trains. We travelled on trains in Italy last year without any problems and intend to do the same this year for our transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia - complete with bags :)

We too are staying at the hotel Traiano and they quoted 110 Euros for the airport transfer, which is significantly more than the 36 Euros which the train will cost for the 4 of us. There was no mention of sharing the cost with other passengers.

If you do decide to take the train there's a very good thread here regarding how to do it http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=893729&highlight=italy+train+ticket+cost

We didn't know our van driver was also picking up other people so it was a nice surprise to split the 90 Euros (the fee we were quoted) five ways. Unless you are arriving a few days early, chances are that you will have other Hotel Traiano/Hotel Bramonte people on the van. Hotel Traiano was filled with people for our cruise as they cater to the cruise crowd.

I'm not knocking the train. Just be aware of what is around you. I walked around myself with a fanny pack in Italy, Greece, and Turkey and never felt in danger, although we were told over and over again by the ship to be aware of thieves and pickpockets.

Personally I found the pickpockets very obvious. Maybe its because I live in a very touristy place that I can spot who is a tourist and who isnt pretty easily. I had a shoulder bag and was followed closely a few times by people who to be were obviously not tourists (but in the extremely touristy spots in Rome). On crowded trains I kept my bag between me and my husband to minimise the chances of someone getting to it.

I would recommend people keep very aware but as a whole Rome seemed to be one of the safest cities I had visited.

There are some great bags you can buy online that will keep your items pretty safe. I ordered one but it didn't come in time for my trip to Rome. Will be using it in future though just for the extra protection from pickpockets.

Yes, the gentleman with the money belt was also knocked off of his feet (he was probably in his seventies and was keeper of the roll call on our cruise) and somehow got all of his money from the belt.

:eek: How absolutely brazen and savage and truly sad/despicable!

But in all honesty, short of stashing all of his valuables in his underwear (which I shudder just thinking about), he would have been robbed of his cash and cards no matter what he stored them in.

He wasn't pick-pocketed... seems closer to a "gentle" mugging to me.

We didn't know our van driver was also picking up other people so it was a nice surprise to split the 90 Euros (the fee we were quoted) five ways. Unless you are arriving a few days early, chances are that you will have other Hotel Traiano/Hotel Bramonte people on the van. Hotel Traiano was filled with people for our cruise as they cater to the cruise crowd.

I'm not knocking the train. Just be aware of what is around you. I walked around myself with a fanny pack in Italy, Greece, and Turkey and never felt in danger, although we were told over and over again by the ship to be aware of thieves and pickpockets.

Do you know which shuttle service you had booked? I am traveling solo, and would like to find one i can share with others.

Do you know which shuttle service you had booked? I am traveling solo, and would like to find one i can share with others.

This was strictly through Hotel Traiano. We just told them we wanted their van to pick us up at FCO and take us to the hotel. Their van to the port was free (from the hotel the morning of the cruise). We didn't know he was going to pick up other people who were actually at the sister hotel (Bramonte). It was a nice surprise, though, to split the bill. They just added it to the room charge.

Wow, I was there about a week later and rode the train multiple times. Was this the type of wallet that is worn under the pants? I keep my valuables in a small satin pouch that clips on to the 'unmentionables' and I feel very secure--no way to know it's even there!

Poor gentleman--what a horrible experience!

Cathy

One more clarification question, was this on a moving train? on the train at a stop? or at one of the stations? If at one of the stations, which one?

Both just said that it had happened on the train. I didn't ask them to be more specific. Maybe these predators are looking for the elderly. The roll call leader was traveling by himself and was a seasoned traveler. The lady was with a small group including her husband. They both said it happened very quickly and were totally surprised.

A lot of people on our October cruise were pickpocketed and flat out knocked down and robbed when they took the train from the airport to Civitavecchia. .... The train to Civitavecchia was easy, but we met so many cruisers who lost their money (from money belts) or had the pocketbooks/wallets yanked from them on the train. One lady's shoulder was actually dislocated by the thief. Just be careful!

This sounds extreme ... was there a gang working the train that day?:confused: We've taken that train a few times (including this past October) and have never experienced that during our trips. OTOH, my DM was mugged/injured in a Home Depot parking lot in Florida last winter (in daylight hours) ... you really need to take precautions wherever you are.

If you heard about it first-hand, then I suppose it happened, but please understand that such a thing is FAR from normal. Many of us here have traveled the trains many times with nothing like this ever happening. I've seen pickpockets working the station in Termini, but as others have said, they are not violent and tend to disappear quickly if spotted or accosted in any way.

I had my wallet lifted in Barcelona and never felt it. OTOH, I had my purse violently grabbed at a gas station less than 2 miles from my home. It can happen anywhere.

Wife and I are arriving 7/16/09 noon at FCO for 7/17/09 Sosltice deaprture ex Civ. We booked Hotel Bramante 1 nite 7/16 but are wondering how we arrange transfer FCO to hotel. I see they arrange airport p/u's with sister hotel Traiano in Civ. I haven't called the hotel yet. I was going to wait a bit. Is anyone else on 7/17 Solstice cruise ex Civ. (Rome) that is arriving afternoon at FCO day before (7/16) that we can coordinate a FCO to hotel(s) transfer together? Please contact me at Geobill99@aol.com if we can can arrange a transfer with one or more couples or individuals. Thanx.

Wife and I are arriving 7/16/09 noon at FCO for 7/17/09 Sosltice deaprture ex Civ. We booked Hotel Bramante 1 nite 7/16 but are wondering how we arrange transfer FCO to hotel. I see they arrange airport p/u's with sister hotel Traiano in Civ. I haven't called the hotel yet. I was going to wait a bit. Is anyone else on 7/17 Solstice cruise ex Civ. (Rome) that is arriving afternoon at FCO day before (7/16) that we can coordinate a FCO to hotel(s) transfer together? Please contact me at Geobill99@aol.com if we can can arrange a transfer with one or more couples or individuals. Thanx.

PS..Hotel Bramante is in port city Civitaveechia as is hotel Traiano. So we are planning to go FCO to Civitaveechia Thur. aft. 7/16/09. Excuse us if that was not clear first post.

Like Posters Tally and Bobal on page 1 of this thread we stayed in the Traiano in 2007. We are going on the Carnival Dream this september and we have booked again for one night pre cruise. We are travelling with friends and the hotel have arranged pick up from FCO for 140 euros for the 4 of us.So dividied between us it works out at 35 each worthwhile when you havent got to worry about your bags.

We are looking to book 2 days in Rome after we get off the ship and are going to go with the same transport to get us into Rome from the port

Archived