Splendor Around the Horn - problems leaving from Miami

Luckysll

One of the people who will be on our Panama Canal cruise from LA is currently on the Splendor on it's round the horn cruise. He's posted from the Splendor and this is what he posted:

"Well, after a bomb threat, the FBI and 300+ cruisers being turned away for not having a Brazilian visa, we set sail 5 hours behind schedule."

I've asked if those 300 cruisers were eventually allowed to board or were denied boarding entirely, but haven't received a reply back yet. Not sure when I'll hear from him, but in the meantime, I wonder if we'll hear from any of those 300? Should be some very interesting comments. :rolleyes:

Not sure I have much sympathy for them if they didn't do their homework and ensure they had the right travel documents.

I'll be flying after the Blogger's cruise to Buenos Aires to catch up to Splendor.

Carnival should have done a better job of notifying passengers about what Visas were required, immunizations, reciprocity fees, etc. There is a lot of conflicting and often inaccurate information out there, including cruise boards.

I know this is Carnival's first SA voyage, but some of the sister cruise lines certainly have knowledge and experience.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/Blog_2009/index.htm

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/splendor_09/index.htm

Do not automatically assume that Carnival is at fault for not notifying passengers of the Brazilian visas.

First of all, assuming the Splendor sailed full, double occupancy, that's over 3,000 guests. 10% of them didn't have the visa, but 90% did. So, less than half of the guests didn't get a visa, so Carnival should have notified them better? That's not logical.

Second, other cruise lines who sail to ports requiring visas have similar issues - passengers typically think if they're not getting off the ship, they don't need the visa, a premise that is completely false. The ship does enter the territorial waters of that nation, in effect entering the country, so a visa is still required.

Cruise lines, Carnival included, do notify passengers about required visas. A notice is on the cruise documents themselves. A notice is displayed during the FunPass registration. A notice is displayed under "MyCruise" on the website. If the guest booked with a TA, the TA received notification via fax or some other format to remind the client.

With 90% of the guests having obtained the visas, to me that's not a fault of the cruise line, but of the guests not reading their documents or thinking they didn't need the visa because they don't plan to leave the ship.

Do not automatically assume that Carnival is at fault for not notifying passengers of the Brazilian visas.

First of all, assuming the Splendor sailed full, double occupancy, that's over 3,000 guests. 10% of them didn't have the visa, but 90% did. So, less than half of the guests didn't get a visa, so Carnival should have notified them better? That's not logical.

Second, other cruise lines who sail to ports requiring visas have similar issues - passengers typically think if they're not getting off the ship, they don't need the visa, a premise that is completely false. The ship does enter the territorial waters of that nation, in effect entering the country, so a visa is still required.

Cruise lines, Carnival included, do notify passengers about required visas. A notice is on the cruise documents themselves. A notice is displayed during the FunPass registration. A notice is displayed under "MyCruise" on the website. If the guest booked with a TA, the TA received notification via fax or some other format to remind the client.

With 90% of the guests having obtained the visas, to me that's not a fault of the cruise line, but of the guests not reading their documents or thinking they didn't need the visa because they don't plan to leave the ship.

I couldnt disagree more.

I work for a major US Airline. Its RARE that we have any passengers that we have to deny boarding too because of not having the correct travel documents. Most flights are 100% boarded. Its rare to have one or more passengers denied boarding.

If 10% of the passengers were denied boarding something somewhere is screwed up. If we denied 10% of passengers on our flights we would be taking MILLIONS of people a year.

Im not blaiming Carnival, but something somewhere is broken. When you book passage with my airline you are 100% clear if you dont have X, Y & Z you arent going anywhere. We dont leave room to assume anything, you have it or dont bother coming to the airport. The same should be true of these cruise passengers.

They needed the visas at port of embarkation so that when they got into Brazilian waters they could what stay on the ship? Doesn't make sense to me.

Cassi

Cruises are considered "going to that destination" no matter if you plan on staying on the ship or not. So if you go to any Brazilian port you are required to have a visa because Brazil requires you to have a visa to enter Brazil.

This just happened recently as RCI Mariner of the Sea, which is making her way to the Westcoast. About 150 passengers were denied boarding because they didn't have a Brazil Visa. It was well stated in the documents that one was needed. They assumed if they didn't get off the ship, they didn't need one...WRONG!!! RCI bussed the passengers back to Miami and they had a choice to get their Visa's and then fly to a port to meet the ship. I think about 1/2 met it in St. Marteen. Some couldn't afford the added cost and went home. It pays to do your homework. Nobody is to blame but the passengers themselves for not reading their documents.

. It was well stated in the documents that one was needed. They assumed if they didn't get off the ship, they didn't need one...WRONG!!! Nobody is to blame but the passengers themselves for not reading their documents.

How much would a paragraph cost that says "IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BRAZILIAN VISA YOU DENIED BOARDING REGARDLESS IF YOU PLAN TO DE-BOARD IN BRAZIL OR STAY ONBOARD"

I havent seen the docs, but im guessing there is a lot of room for speculation or why else is so many people not getting the required visas and missing their cruises? Yes there is a lot of idiots on this planet, but i doubt 10% of the ship is idiots unless its the "Village Idiot Cruise Critic Cruise" (PS can i found that group? it has a nice ring to it!)

I find it funny that the airlines can do no right in anyone's eyes, yet we do this incredibly well. I might deny boarding to one guy a week, yet the cruiselines deny 150X to 300X that a day?

What a crock. I am on the second leg of the cruise and communication from Carnival has sucked. What part of that do you not understand?

A large number (maybe 50%) of the passengers booked through one particular Florida based travel agency that perhaps did a better job than Carnival at communicating.

Just because you are not on the cruise, do not assume you know more than those of us who are.

We research our out of country trips carefully for required paperwork. When we all used to use "across the desk" TAs, they may have handled that but today with internet TAs, direct bookings etc., you really have some responsibility to take care of this. If you don't, then you better hope your TA does! Princess is clear about this in all their documents. Hopefully all will work out for these folks.

Donna

What a crock. I am on the second leg of the cruise and communication from Carnival has sucked. What part of that do you not understand?

A large number (maybe 50%) of the passengers booked through one particular Florida based travel agency that perhaps did a better job than Carnival at communicating.

Just because you are not on the cruise, do not assume you know more than those of us who are.

Wow, that was quite a not-nice response, and one that was rather uncalled for considering you don't know me, and I don't know you.

I've been on the receiving end of communications from Carnival and other lines regarding entry visas for foreign ports of call - it's perfectly adequate if people pay attention to them. I don't assume I know more than others who are on the cruise - I'm just speaking from my own experiences.

Perhaps Carnival (and apparently RCI) need to re-think how they communicate this type of information with their guests. Two separate instances, on two separate cruise lines, with very similar situations, have the same result (10% or so of the guests being denied boarding for not having proper visa documentation) to me just screams more than just "cruise line communication sucked."

Travelers have to take on some responsibility themselves and not depend 100% on the travel vendor (whether it be cruise line, tour operator, airline, or whomever) to tell them what's what. Those who use the services of a travel professional are not exempt from that, either.

Whether we on CC use a TA or not the vast majority of cruises are booked through TAs. It is the TAs responsibility to make sure that their clients have the correct documents.

Carnival also clearly states in their documentation that it is up to the passenger to determine which travel documents are needed. None of this is Carnival's fault because as we all know they can't even figure out the rules for US citizens on closed loop cruises now or after June 1st.

Wow, what crawled up your pants?

I've been on the receiving end of communications from Carnival and other lines regarding entry visas for foreign ports of call - it's perfectly adequate if people pay attention to them. I don't assume I know more than others who are on the cruise - I'm just speaking from my own experiences.

I think it was the hot air.

Besides not providing necessary information, Carnival, and others, are also guilty of spreading misleading information. For example, "You have to take a ship tour in St Petersburg or you will have to have to have a tourist visa." All you need, is a tour with an authorized company, including the cruise ship tours. They will have a blanket visa that covers you.

I've sailed with Carnival in Europe, the Baltics, Caribbean, and soon South America. I have plenty of experience to state that they could do a better job.

I feel bad for the people denied boarding, but I don't blame Carnival. The information is out there, you need to know what you need to bring.

I would like to hear what information was provided to the people on the cruise, but still 90% of them knew to bring their visas, it seems the others did not do their homework.

That information was incorrect as the Carnival Splendor actually departed from Port Everglades/ Ft Lauderdale. The OP was apparently mistaken.

Oops, sorry. I guess since I'm not on the ship, I didn't pay attention to where it was leaving from exactly. :o

To assume that Carnival - or any other cruise line - would speak with someone on the phone, reserve a cruise to South America and NOT advise of passport and visa requirements simply shows a distinct lack of knowledge of how the reservation process works.

Information comes on the screen for the PVP for South America, just as it does for the Caribbean, Europe and other destinations....and the caller is advised of what's required.

Having worked in the industry for 32 years, I can tell you there are people who listen but don't hear. Or, they make up their minds they can do it another way, or they forget, or somehow figure they are exempt from certain requirements because they are "doing something different" or "it's ridiculous" or they don't want to spend the extra money and figure they can squeak by at the port somehow. They are irresponsible.

Then, documentation information is all over the place.....on the website, in the Welcome Aboard brochure, in the "Know before you go" info. The Fun Pass cannot be completed without having ALL information shown, inclluding passport and visa info. So, people don't complete it, or they jimmie around and put any info in that will get it to print. When the confirming invoice is emailed or snail mailed, once again, the information is printed on that.

As for being denied boarding and showing up with no visa, it is ALWAYS the passengers responsibility to know what is required and to have what is required when checking in.

Requirements are also printed in large font and clearly on the documents themselves, which most people don't read.

If 90% of the passengers on this sailing had everything they needed, then the 10% who didn't are the ones at fault.... They didn't do their homework, didn't bother to read ALL the information they received, didn't listen.

As for Carnival's part in this, even after the passenger has been advised, they disclaim the responsibility in their Passenger ticket contract and in several places on their website. They didn't add this disclaimer to be mean, rotten and nasty. There are too many personal circumstances to list all requirements for all people; different resident status, different citizenship status (native born/naturalized), adoption of foreign children, etc. Once the reservation process is over, Carnival has done it's job...then it's up to the passenger to run with it.

© Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. It is the guest’s sole responsibility to bring and have available at all times all required travel documents. Guests are advised to check with their travel agent or the appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. Any guest traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued.

Are there any requirements such as visas or inoculations when I visit certain ports?spacer.gif

As a reminder to our guests, kindly be advised that passport, visa and inoculation regulations may vary by destination and change from time to time. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to obtain and have available when necessary the appropriate valid travel and health documents such as passports, visas, vaccination certificates, etc., that are necessary for air travel, debarkation at the various ports of call and re-entry into the appropriate country of origin. We recommend that you visit your nearest consulate office or relevant web site for appropriate requirements.

From Carnival :

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of immigration requirements.

Whether we on CC use a TA or not the vast majority of cruises are booked through TAs. It is the TAs responsibility to make sure that their clients have the correct documents.

Carnival also clearly states in their documentation that it is up to the passenger to determine which travel documents are needed. None of this is Carnival's fault because as we all know they can't even figure out the rules for US citizens on closed loop cruises now or after June 1st.

So... how are passengers supposed to determine which documents are needed? I've noticed that the documents from Carnival for my June cruise are rather vague. It mentions just that - it is the responsibility of the passenger to determine.... I've been meaning to call them and ask for more specific info, but now I'm concerned that I could be misinformed even by Carnival. So, anyone been on the Conquest lately for the Western Caribbean (MB, Jamaica; Georgetown, GC; Cozumel) cruise? Anything required other than a passport? What about immunizations? Thanks

An easy to use resource is actually through an airline. Formerly NW, but now Delta, it's located at this link.

But, this should be followed up by checking with the US State Department here.

For those cruising to the Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean region (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Turks and Caicos) the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative applies (details here) but to my knowledge that covers passports and doesn't necessitate any visas or additional documentation.

Cruises are considered "going to that destination" no matter if you plan on staying on the ship or not. So if you go to any Brazilian port you are required to have a visa because Brazil requires you to have a visa to enter Brazil.

so a visa is diferent than a passport? what cruise ports require you to have visas? :confused:

so a visa is diferent than a passport? what cruise ports require you to have visas? :confused:
Yep, a visa is different than a passport. A passport identifies you as a citizen of a particular nation. A visa is a stamp or sticker that goes into the passport giving you permission to enter a particular country.

The rule of thumb should be if you're sailing to a port OTHER THAN Alaska, Mexico, Canada, or the Caribbean in general (see list a couple posts back), you should check the entry requirements of that port's country.

Archived