Snow in Britain

yorky

It is getting surprisingly deep (nb deep snow here means about 3 - 4 inches!), but I am sure that come the end of the week it will all be gone!

Hopefully it will have cleared by Tommrow night as I've got to catch a train to London.

Hopefully it will have cleared by Tommrow night as I've got to catch a train to London.

Do be careful and maybe leave a bit early. The snow is still coming down in London even now and tomorrow is predicted to be worse. It took me over an hour to take what is usually a 30 min journey. If you're coming in for meetings, might be worth checking they're not cancelled.

Do you normaly get alot of snow over there,or is this a bad winter?

In London, it is the worse snow that London has had for 18 years. London normally gets a sprinkling a couple of times a year, but it never really settles and is never 6 inches or more deep! Most of the public transport in London was out of service, because of course there isn't the special equipment to deal with this amount of snow. Took me 2 hours to get to work (normally 45 minutes at the most) and an hour and a half to get home.:eek:

Is all very pretty though! Snow in all the major royal parks and on all the castles and palaces.

Do you normaly get alot of snow over there,or is this a bad winter?

Some winters we get hardly any, other than a few flurries, then other winters we get quite a lot. This winter has been very cold so far. The snow rarely hangs around for long.

The country grinds to a halt on days like these. It was forecast too, so there's no excuse really. :(

The UK is not equipped to deal with any snow, as the previous poster states everything grinds to a halt and it can be chaos. We go home to visit family quite often and always laugh when we see how the country deals with a sprinkling, from photos I have seen today it looks rather worse than a sprinkling but unlike Canada it doesn't hang around a long time, Good luck with your flights

Terry

Hi Folks,

Just because London has has a dusting of snow it makes the news,

us lot up here in Scotland get snow, I used to own my own snow plough and gritter.

I still have a 4x4, this week was using an excavator to dig through snow so what,

have had snow deeper than the height of my 4x4 in past years,

so do not say UK can not handle snow,

its the south of England that can not handle snow,

yours Shogun

Hi Folks,

Just because London has has a dusting of snow it makes the news,

us lot up here in Scotland get snow, I used to own my own snow plough and gritter.

I still have a 4x4, this week was using an excavator to dig through snow so what,

have had snow deeper than the height of my 4x4 in past years,

so do not say UK can not handle snow,

its the south of England that can not handle snow,

yours Shogun

You are reasonably correct that London makes the news because of snow but on this occasion it was considerably more than a "Dusting".

However, it's only to be expected that the place grinds to a halt with a covering of snow as where's the sense in spending millions on machinery and resources that may only be required once in ten, or in this case 18 years ..?? It just doesn't make financial common sense to spend out.

You are reasonably correct that London makes the news because of snow but on this occasion it was considerably more than a "Dusting".

However, it's only to be expected that the place grinds to a halt with a covering of snow as where's the sense in spending millions on machinery and resources that may only be required once in ten, or in this case 18 years ..?? It just doesn't make financial common sense to spend out.

True, but is one allowed to board at another port other than Port Everglades?

The UK is not equipped to deal with any snow, as the previous poster states everything grinds to a halt and it can be chaos. We go home to visit family quite often and always laugh when we see how the country deals with a sprinkling, from photos I have seen today it looks rather worse than a sprinkling but unlike Canada it doesn't hang around a long time, Good luck with your flights

Terry

This is kind of what happens in the Southern U.S. in places where they aren't used to those kinds of snow (South Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana, etc.). Though, having grown up in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin, I have to admit to a bit of shock that a few inches of snow is such a trial there. It's all relative, I suppose! If we got even an inch of snow down here in South Florida (which I'm pretty sure will never happen), there would be all kinds of chaos.

Hang in there! ;)

Archived