Harwich to London Transportion

SailorJack

You should be easily able to catch the train to Central London, which looks like it puts you into Liverpool Street. If you're flying from Heathrow, from Liverpool Street you can take the Circle/Hammersmith & City line around to Paddington for the train from there. To get to Gatwick, take the Circle line (going the opposite way) to Victoria and then the overground train to Gatwick.

I use the following when booking tickets within the UK generally http://www.thetrainline.com/

A bit more fuss, but probably cheaper on the whole. This website also looks really helpful: http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/harwich_london_transfers.htm

A little more elaboration on the above. Train from Harwich International (right beside the ship) to Liverpool Street is about £20-25. If you go to Heathrow you can go the whole way by tube. Takes about an hour from L'pool St and you have to change once, but it only costs £4.80. If you go to Paddington by tube its still £4.80 then you have to pay £15 for the Heathrow Express.

Simon

Hi sddsddean or justfoxie,

Can you tell me how far is the cruise ship from the Stena Line ferry. I am taking Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Sea Transatlantic cruise to Harwich. I would like to take the ferry to Hook of Holland so that I can go to Keukenhof Garden. I will be in a great rush since the ferry depart at 9am.

Many thanks. Angela

Hi sddsddean or justfoxie,

Can you tell me how far is the cruise ship from the Stena Line ferry. I am taking Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Sea Transatlantic cruise to Harwich. I would like to take the ferry to Hook of Holland so that I can go to Keukenhof Garden. I will be in a great rush since the ferry depart at 9am.

Many thanks. Angela

Hi Angela, I don't really know, unfortunately. Maybe one of the others do

The ferry terminal is basically right next door - see this Google Maps photo.

But getting to a 0900 ferry departure is quite optimistic. Just one slip, and you're toast. Do you have a backup plan?

Its a very,very,very long shot but I wonder if its worth contacting the cruise line or Harwich port authority. The ferries and the cruise ship berth right next to each other physically.

The normal way would be to go through the cruise terminal and customs/baggage, out the front entrance, down the railway platform by the side of the cruise terminal, up the escalator/lift to the ferry treminal, check-in, back through customs again and then to descend down to almost where you started from.

Would be nice if someone could make simply walking along the quayside without going through customs happen for you like interconnecting at an airport

Thank you handfordr and Globaliser,

My plan is to carry our own luggage and disembark first if they let me. If I can't make it, I'll have to wait till 23:45 for the next ferry and miss my hotel in Holland. I can only cancel the hotel 1 day in advance so most likely I would have to pay for that. If that is the case, any suggestion as to what I can do in the meantime? The shore excursions all end at the airport. Harwick seems to be out of nowhere.

Thanks.

Angela

any suggestion as to what I can do in the meantime? The shore excursions all end at the airport. Harwick seems to be out of nowhere.

Thanks.

Angela

Actually Harwich Town itself isn't that bad a place to spend the day. There are hourly trains the one stop to Harwich Town and also local buses that I think run every 30 minutes except Sundays from in front of the ferry terminal. Walk into Harwich Old Town by the pier where there is a tourist office and pick up a free Harwich walking trail leaflet, (I think they also have them in the ferry and cruise terminals).

A truncated version of what to expect just in the Old Town itself is at the url below, but the main walk goes around the headland to the beaches and lighthouses there

http://www.harwich-society.co.uk/flash2007/virtualtour.html

There is more than enough to fill a day on this.

Going the other way you can take the train to Colchester, which is more mainstream tourism (google Colchester), but personally I'd opt for Harwich.

(There is also a ferry you can take to the other side of the estuary from the Harwich town pier plus tourist boat trips)

• 2 weeks later...
Actually Harwich Town itself isn't that bad a place to spend the day. There are hourly trains the one stop to Harwich Town and also local buses that I think run every 30 minutes except Sundays from in front of the ferry terminal. Walk into Harwich Old Town by the pier where there is a tourist office and pick up a free Harwich walking trail leaflet, (I think they also have them in the ferry and cruise terminals).

A truncated version of what to expect just in the Old Town itself is at the url below, but the main walk goes around the headland to the beaches and lighthouses there

http://www.harwich-society.co.uk/flash2007/virtualtour.html

There is more than enough to fill a day on this.

Going the other way you can take the train to Colchester, which is more mainstream tourism (google Colchester), but personally I'd opt for Harwich.

(There is also a ferry you can take to the other side of the estuary from the Harwich town pier plus tourist boat trips)

Thanks

I just don't know what to do with my luggage.

I wish I can find out about how long it takes for UK custom on a Sunday morning.

Angela

I wish I can find out about how long it takes for UK custom on a Sunday morning.
I don't think that Customs will be the problem. The question will simply be how long it will take for you to get off the ship after docking, which is something usually governed by how long it takes to unload all the baggage.

Thanks Globaliser,

Our ship arrives at 4:30am so they should have plenty of time. I am not going to risk finding luggage and just bought 2 30" duffel bags with shoulder straps and plan to walk off with all our luggages on disembarkment. Clothings are not heavy. I just wish they make paper shoes.

Angela

Archived