Did Your Price Drop Lower your OBC from TA?

honeywell

Getting closer to sailing date and the price drop are starting to occur. Just curious - if you have taken advantage of a price drop AND are/have used a TA with OBC, did they alter your OBC when the price changed? I am guessing they do, but curious to know first hand experiences?....

Getting closer to sailing date and the price drop are starting to occur. Just curious - if you have taken advantage of a price drop AND are/have used a TA with OBC, did they alter your OBC when the price changed? I am guessing they do, but curious to know first hand experiences?....

But that's okay the price drop was a much bigger factor

Depends on the TA. Some will but some won't. The ones that don't usually have a service charge if you make a change to your booking, including for price drops. For my last one, I save about 20% due to a price drop and got to keep my OBC but had to pay a $39 "service fee".

Welcome to Cruise Critic! No ignorance, just a good question from a new cruiser. Part of the "inside knowledge" you will learn here!

RCCL is one of the cruise lines that allow you to capture the new price if the price of the cruise goes down - even after final payment has been made - and the new price isn't for "new bookings only". Your TA has the ability to say if they will or won't honor the price drop, and if there is a penalty of some sort. Keep checking your cruise by entering a "pretend" booking on RCCL's website - if you see a drop call your TA right away!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! No ignorance, just a good question from a new cruiser. Part of the "inside knowledge" you will learn here!

RCCL is one of the cruise lines that allow you to capture the new price if the price of the cruise goes down - even after final payment has been made - and the new price isn't for "new bookings only". Your TA has the ability to say if they will or won't honor the price drop, and if there is a penalty of some sort. Keep checking your cruise by entering a "pretend" booking on RCCL's website - if you see a drop call your TA right away!

Thanks for the info on this - I will keep returning the RCCL website periodically to check to prices.

One thing to be aware of that I have found is if you have air through Royal Caribbean, we did have a price drop but it also changed the air price by $160.00. So with one change they said that we owed another $20.00. I told them to forget it and put it back the way it orginally was, why would we ask for a refund and then they change it so we owe more. Different price codes quotes the air at different prices apparently.

One thing to be aware of that I have found is if you have air through Royal Caribbean, we did have a price drop but it also changed the air price by $160.00. So with one change they said that we owed another $20.00. I told them to forget it and put it back the way it orginally was, why would we ask for a refund and then they change it so we owe more. Different price codes quotes the air at different prices apparently.

This happened to us as well. We have taken advantage of the lower cabin price, but the lower air price was not an option for us. Some friends booked the cruise after we did and received the lower price for both the cruise and the air. When I tried to do the same, RCCL stated I could obtain the lower cruise price but the cost for changing the air arrangements more than offset the new price. I kept the same arrangements.

Also, as the price of the cabin dropped, the TA OBC was also reduced.

Our OBC didn't change on one cruise because the agent factored in that there would be a price drop. Another cruise the agent told us that we would lose part of our OBC for every $100 our price dropped.

We were ok with that and even though we lost a small amount, it didn't bother us. That though, is one of the first things we ask an agent before transferring our booking. That along with do you have service fees, cancellation fees and do you lower prices when the cruiseline shows lower prices?

So far,we have been pretty lucky. Only once have we been lied to and that cost me quite a bit of money. Just beware if you have a group cruise and book on the site that competes for your business and you get an agent from CT. HE LIES big time.

Archived