A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Dear Dutch,

I see that the rooms are distributed randomly. I'm surprised that no account is taken of past cruisers. We have 52 days on HAL. That doesn't count for anything? I'm so afraid I will be looking down at lifeboats as someone indicated in another thread.

this is only my experience and what I have heard from past passengers, but if you are upgraded to a suite (deluxe verandah) then it will be an offer. You will pay a reduced price to be there.

If you do get the offer, then I would recommend taking it, deluxe verandah's are a different dimension on the cruise as far as we are concerned.

The price will be discounted, but it will cost money. but I would go for it. As to 52 days on HAL? From what I have seen, there is sometimes no rhyme or reason to allocation. I think they tend to look at who books higher level rooms to determine if they coerce them into using them again. (they won with us).

On HAL, there are a long time sailers that can put us all to shame. they have 100's of days. A lot of three star and four star mariners. so, you also have to take into account that this line has a lot of loyalty and therefore a lot of repeat customers.

the joy of a guarantee, is the possiblilty of an upgrade, the joy of booking your room is knowing what you're getting. We each take our own risks. You might end up with my category at a cheaper price. (and that is disconcerting), but I know where my suite is and where I am going. Sometimes there is no right answer but you have to do what makes you comfortable on the ship.

If you don't want to see the lifeboats, then keep an eye on the prices. Until you pay your final deposit, you can get a discount and book the room.

Just a suggestion and my thoughts and experiences, hope it helps

Jacqui

Dear Dutch,

I see that the rooms are distributed randomly. I'm surprised that no account is taken of past cruisers. We have 52 days on HAL. That doesn't count for anything? I'm so afraid I will be looking down at lifeboats as someone indicated in another thread.

For what it is worth......book a cabin that you are comfortable with i.e. one that you can afford and one in a location and type that you will like.

Last year I had a SS booked and HAL offered us an upsell to an SA which we took.

On the same cruise a fellow "aussie" had been told by his TA to book the lowest cabin guarrantee and that they would definetly get upgraded!

They were not upgraded and got the the level of cabin that they were guarranteed.

Well were they annoyed, in that everything on the cruise was dreadfull; the food; the service; the cabin; the ship etc to the extent that he was going to take off the tipping and never travel HAL again.

I was on the same cruise.......I started to think that maybe I was on adifferent ship altogether, by the way that he was talking.

So what I am saying that sometimes in not selecting / booking what you want you build up an expectation of getting something better and when it does not happen it invariably "colours' your thinking and leads to spoiling your holiday.

We all dream of being upgraded but it rarely happens.

Ciao,

Cristiano.

Thank you! I'm back to reality. Whatever I get, I get. My husband keeps telling me we are going to get exactly what we paid for and I will be fine. I just love the dream. We have a summer river cruise booked and our room is 25 sq. ft. smaller than the VH, and I chose the room. So, thank you all for bringing me to back to reality. I think I'll relax for the next 5 days while the pixie computer dusts chooses my fate.

Rarely? We've been upgraded on all 8 of our guarantees. That includes our upcoming Sep cruise, because I put a deposit down on an HH while on board and when I transferred the booking to a TA it changed to a D guarantee. It could go higher yet. Yes, upgrades rarely happen to those who choose specific cabins, but it is not uncommon at all among those who book guarantees.

Read this thread and note how many got upgrades vs how many did not.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1047706

we were booked for a VH guarantee and we were just upgraded to a VA so we are quite happy. will let you all know what we think of a 'wake' balcony after our cruise! we have never been at the aft like this before.:D

Rarely? We've been upgraded on all 8 of our guarantees

Perhaps an equation of total passengers who travel on HAL versus those that have been upgraded may tend to indicate the true facts.

I feel that over the last few years passenger numbers have been down so upgrades possibly more common.

I am by no means an experienced cruiser so in this field I will leave it to your knowledge.

You are indeed fortunate and I am pleased for you but the real point I make is not to expect and be dissapointed and if the unexpected does happen then WOW !

Rock on HAL,

ciao,

Cristiano.

we were booked for a VH guarantee and we were just upgraded to a VA so we are quite happy. will let you all know what we think of a 'wake' balcony after our cruise! we have never been at the aft like this before.:D

Do NOT want to rain on your upgrade parade, however . . .

I once ended up in a Stern VA that was on the deck right below the Lido.

Mornings and Nights I could hear the deck chairs being scraped across my ceiling. In the middle of the night the crew moves all chairs to wash the deck.

This was on a Caribbean cruise.

But, I specifically booked a similar cabin for Alaska because of the spectacular view. And in Alaska there is hardly any deck chair usage at all.

Both of these were on Vista class ships, Zuiderdam and Westerdam.

If you are on a lower deck there should be no problem with overhead noise.

So, it very much depends on the itinerary and which deck, as to whether or not I would consider this an Upgrade.

r.

Perhaps an equation of total passengers who travel on HAL versus those that have been upgraded may tend to indicate the true facts.
I went to the thread that I cited in post #1281 and counted. 116 people reported that had gotten free upgrades, 8 reported that they had gotten the same level as they booked. I did not count paid upgrades (upsell or upbuy).

Now, that thread is only about people who book guarantees, and I have no idea what percentage "of total passengers who travel on HAL" that might be.

Now, that thread is only about people who book guarantees, and I have no idea what percentage "of total passengers who travel on HAL" that might be.

But John, a missing, albeit important, factor in the equation is how many people book guarantees and don't get upgraded. Those people are less likely to post that fact as there's no real reason to.

I think that skews the perception of the likelihood of upgrades.

the concern that I have being on navigation deck (below the Lido deck) will be the chairs being moved about; this was a guarantee that I booked with & this is what was given to us so.....it would not be the deck that I personally would choose but what option(s) do I have now?

personally I would like to be on deck 7 rather than deck 8

anyone out there who had a similar situation?

the concern that I have being on navigation deck (below the Lido deck) will be the chairs being moved about; this was a guarantee that I booked with & this is what was given to us so.....it would not be the deck that I personally would choose but what option(s) do I have now?

personally I would like to be on deck 7 rather than deck 8

anyone out there who had a similar situation?

I don't know that you have any options but to accept graciously the several-category upgrade given you.

That's the rub with buying a guarantee ... you have to be willing to sail in any cabin of that guarantee category or above, be it a handicap cabin or one that is under moving chairs or near/above/under the show lounge, etc. Upgrades are in the eyes of the beholder.

I'm changing the conversation. We look forward to playing trivial pursuit and similar games each day. I especially like Name That Tune.

Several years ago on the Amsterdam was a piano player named Perry. He made the evenings. Is he still with Holland America?

I'm wondering if the Eurodam has a piano player with a great personality who gets eveyone involved with singing and joking around.

Just 12 days until we sail.

Several years ago on the Amsterdam was a piano player named Perry. He made the evenings. Is he still with Holland America?

You're speaking of Perry Grant? :) Unfortunately, he left HAL several years ago. :(

Last I knew he was still on Celebrity Constellation.

I'm wondering if the Eurodam has a piano player with a great personality who gets eveyone involved with singing and joking around.

There's been a few, but the really good Piano Bar entertainers HAL has hired in the last few years are gone all too quickly. :mad: Once in a while you hit, but consider that as getting lucky.

could we not see larger platter like plates like what Princess uses? that way, no need for trays, which are convenient. it is a hassle to get some stuff, find a table, then go for drinks.

no, we have not found the waiters 'handy' when we wanted juice or a coffee refill. (ship: Rotterdam)

Where can you go to find out what HAL offer for sale..through the guest services?

For example do they offer room decorations, bon voyage gifts, clothing, as is found on the Carnival site? Thanks

You can find a couple of shirts and a robe at www.shophollandamerica.com. Some bon voyage things can be found at the HAL site For Booked Guests, Onboard Gifts. I don't recall ever seeing decorations, though.

DBW

It would be quite convenient if trays could be returned to the Lido!

If those cruisers who do not wish to use trays, so be it! But for the rest of us who do miss the trays, then they SHOULD be made available, once again!:mad:

Thank you. You have mentioned this multiple times. The best place to relay your feedback would be directly on the ships or to the HQ.

Archived