How does this work?

AlwayzCruising

I have heard of people getting on and off the ship before they leave from the embarkation station... Does this include actually going totally OUT of the terminal and exploring the area a little more before the ship has left? You generally have to be out of your room before 11 a.m. or so and then usually we go right over to the ship... We end up staying there for the duration until we leave the port... But, I'm wondering if I want to go out and get some soda off the ship before we leave, is this a doable idea? Or should I just either pack or carry on?

Thanks

Once you are on board, you are able to leave the ship and the port as long as you are back at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure.

Depending on which port you are embarking, you may be close to or far from anywhere you get additional supplies.

thanks for the great advice guys... We're leaving out of San Pedro... I'll have to do some more research to see if there is anything close to embarkation...

But, one more thing, I should have asked before... is it difficult to get back through the lines for embarking? Or do you get to "jump to the head of the line?!?!"

Obviously, once on the ship at embarkation, I have stayed there!! hehe.. Thanks again

We have actually done this twice that I can remember. Once many years ago on an HAL cruise on the old Statendam leaving from NYC. The ship had a technical problem and departure was delayed until 11:00 that evening. We treated NYC as if it was one of our ports of call, going off to the top of the Empire State Building. The second time we were catching a transatlantic on RCCL and the ship had just come out of dry dock. We were able to board early in the morning since there were no debarking passengers and then went back ashore to do some touring in Lisbon. The only problem was we got stuck in the security line when we got back to the ship with all the new embarking passengers.

Archived