Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

TRadle.....would you be good enough to post back here and let us know how it goes?

Thanks,

M.

We got back yesterday and I must say that was the easiest disembarkment ever! I understand it is not always so at this port, but we had no problems.

We were prepared with the number of a car service in case there were no cabs.....but there were plenty of cabs. After you pick up your bags there is a huge sign on the other end of the building that says TAXI. Someone is there to control the chaos. He assigns you to a cab and tells you the price plus tolls. For us it was $40 dollars plus tolls...about $3.

We were one of the first groups off the ship. Our cabbie (Yellow Cab) says that when the Explorer is in port the cabs keep making the round trip back to pick up more passengers. She did tell us that if you are last off or have a no show car service you can get left behind there. I recommend putting some of the taxi numbers in your cell phone before you leave....they're listed here somewhere....so that you don't get stuck if you have a latter flight than we did.

We had no problems with our flight time only because on Tropical Storm Danny. The captain got in to port at 4:00 AM instead of 8:00 AM and the ship was cleared by 8:00 AM. American Airlines had moved our flight up to 12:25 which under normal circumstance would have been too early for this port.

Great ship....great cruise.:D

Is the transportation that is desired really from Newark Airport into New York, or is it from some place near Newark Airport? The reason I ask is that transportation from the airport into New York is overpriced, and if you're coming from a nearby area you might be able to benefit from a more direct and/or less expensive route.

They are staying at an airport hotel. And we all want to meet up at NY Penn Station. This would need to be a round trip, as they are departing the following morning from Newark Airport.

Thanks for all the help!

They are staying at an airport hotel. And we all want to meet up at NY Penn Station. This would need to be a round trip, as they are departing the following morning from Newark Airport.

Thanks for all the help!

Which hotel? What is best from one hotel may be different than what is best from another hotel.

hi,

can you tell me the best way to get to cape liberty cruise port from the waldorf astoria in new york city?

what is the quickest way?

and what's the least expensive?

thanks a lot for your help.

Quickest way is to arrange a car service for $75-$100.

Least expensive is to take the V train from 53rd & Lexington to 34th St Herald Square ($2.25), then Path to Hoboken ($1.75), the Hudson-Bergen light rail to 33rd St. in Bayonne ($1.90), and call a Bayonne cab to the port ($8-10). Another option is the E train from 53rd and Lexington to 42nd St. Port Authority( $2.25), bus 99S or 10 to Bayonne - 33rd and Kennedy Blvd ($4) and call a Bayonne cab to the port. You could splurge and take a NY cab to Herald Square or Port Authority. However, at some point you would have to transfer your luggage on your own.

Band1mom - I'm repeating my advice to take a cab to Penn Station Newark from the Holiday Inn. I knew it was close, but I pulled it up on Mapquest and it's only 2.6 miles from the hotel to the station - estimated at 7 minutes. $20-$25 is probably a generous estimate for the cab fare - your friends can ask what it should cost at the hotel. They should be prepared with cash or credit card to buy round trip tickets to NY in the NJTransit ticket machines. If you guys don't have cell phones, you should pick a meeting place in Penn Station New York. NJTransit comes in on the 8th Ave. side. The Long Island RR is on the 7th Ave side. The whole area is very large with two levels plus tracks - it can be very confusing.

Band1mom - I'm repeating my advice to take a cab to Penn Station Newark from the Holiday Inn. I knew it was close, but I pulled it up on Mapquest and it's only 2.6 miles from the hotel to the station - estimated at 7 minutes. $20-$25 is probably a generous estimate for the cab fare - your friends can ask what it should cost at the hotel. They should be prepared with cash or credit card to buy round trip tickets to NY in the NJTransit ticket machines. If you guys don't have cell phones, you should pick a meeting place in Penn Station New York. NJTransit comes in on the 8th Ave. side. The Long Island RR is on the 7th Ave side. The whole area is very large with two levels plus tracks - it can be very confusing.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above advice about meeting at Penn Station....take it from me.....what we do is look at the streets around Penn Station and meet at a street corner. Unless you know Penn station intimately.....it's a crapshoot whether you'll find each other.....eventually you would, but it would be frustrating. You're better off leaving the station and look for a landmark outside. Keeping in touch with cell phones is a smart idea too. You can walk towards each other using the station landmarks. :D

Simon - yes that is me on Antours rafting. They were so nice - they took everyone's picture and about 6 weeks later sent it to us. I don't know if they still do that - I got the feeling 2 years ago that they were trying to get their business going.

I really enjoyed the tubing, but it was not quite what I expected. I had done a leisurely tube ride once in Jamaica. This tube ride started out in choppy rapids where everyone dumped. However, that was the roughest. I felt really proud that I was probably the oldest person on the trip and I was the only one who dumped just once. There were 7 of us on the trip and we had 5 river guides in the water with us at all times to help at the trickier parts. IMO I would not take younger kids on this. Heavier folks also may have top heavy issues if they don't really fit down into the tubes.

Take NJTransit from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station - $7 rt - tickets are bought in machines that accept credit cards and cash and maybe debit cards. Go out the 7th Ave. side of NY Penn Station and walk north on 7th Ave to Times Square - about 10 blocks. You can take the 7th Ave. subway, but not really worth $2.25 unless it is pouring rain.

Thank you very much, I'll copy these instructions and send them to my friend. We have friends in Queens, who we are staying with for 4 nights. They and the friends we are cruising with, all know one another. So the cruising friends are spending one night post-cruise so that we can all have dinner together. The NYC friends are going to pick out a restaurant close to NY Penn station, for convenience for the crusing friends.

I'll let you know how it all goes!! We leave LAX in 16 days, woo hoo!!

Holiday Inn Express Newark Airport Hotel.

Going from the hotel into Manhattan I would ask the hotel if the courtesy car can drop you at the Newark Airport North Area bus stop. The Holiday Inn is located on Frontage Road, which is the service road on the north side of interstate highway 78 and US 1-9. The bus stop is located on Port Street--the service road on the south side of interstate highway 78 and US 1-9--right outside of long term parking lot P6. Hotel staff (at least the ones the use public transit) should know where the stop is located, or you can search for these coordinates on Google Maps to see the bus stop location: 40.707713,-74.160432 (the Holiday Inn is located at these coordinates: 40.712917,-74.166160).

From that bus stop New Jersey Transit route 107 operates either nonstop or with minimal stops along the service roads of the Lincoln Tunnel approach road to New York City (Port Authority Bus Terminal). The fare is $4.40, exact change. Travel time is 20 to 25 minutes. Get the bus timetable here: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0107.pdf

Larry - the directions are a bit different to 777 8th Ave. You have 4 choices - cab, walk, subway or bus. It's about 15 blocks - 3/4 mile. At Penn Station be sure to exit out onto 8th Avenue. You would walk north 15 blocks, hail a cab going north, or find the nearest bus stop and take the bus to 47th St. Bus stop for M10 bus is at 31st & 8th and it will take you to 46th & 8th. The 8th Ave subway will take you from 34th St. to 42nd St. (A,C,E) or 50th St.(C,E) - you would still have to walk 5-7 blocks.

GTJ - Band1mom is looking for the quickest way to Penn Station NY for her friends coming from the Holiday Inn. The bus you are suggesting is undoubtedly the least expensive way to get to Manhattan, but it also leaves them at Port Authority and has an hourly schedule except for rush hour. I don't think it is the optimal choice for "out-of-towners".

Archived