Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

If I remember correctly, you have to be at the ship 90 minutes to 2 hours prior to departure. If not, they can and will deny you boarding. The ship is usually scheduled to sail at 5 pm but has been known to leave at 4:30.

Not that long ago, someone posted on CC that they were denied boarding because they arrived too late at the pier. Their flight had been delayed.

Something else that you better consider is the heavy traffic in the NYC/NJ area. You don't want to miss the ship altogether.

Correct and in talking to both car services and looking on mapquest and google in traffic it takes less than 30 minutes to cross the brooklyn bridge from the Manhattan side near Seaport to get to the Brooklyn pier by the Brooklyn bridge so we would definitely make it make by 2:00 at pier - 2:30 on ship or at boarding desk. So from what you are saying known to leave at 4:30, it sounds like we should take the car service and be on that end and not take the risk of traveling back to Times Square and then back down to cross over. At least that sounds safer to me.

Just curious-are you going to try the city bus from Manhattan to Bayonne??

I think we will take the PATH to Hoboken, then take the NJ Hudson-Bergen to Bayonne. There, I will phone a cab company in Bayonne to take us to the Pier. I will proabably even phone them on Friday to find out whether they will pick us up on 34th Street. In any case, we shall go to the PATH station on Friday and find out what it looks like. I will certainly let you know whether it was a good idea.

BTW, Our daughter told me this morning that it is practically impossible to pay with 100 Dollar Notes. As I prefer to pay cash for most things, this sounds rather interesting. What do you think?

Kind regards from rainy and overcast Zurich.

Dolores

I think we will take the PATH to Hoboken, then take the NJ Hudson-Bergen to Bayonne. There, I will phone a cab company in Bayonne to take us to the Pier. I will proabably even phone them on Friday to find out whether they will pick us up on 34th Street. In any case, we shall go to the PATH station on Friday and find out what it looks like. I will certainly let you know whether it was a good idea.

BTW, Our daughter told me this morning that it is practically impossible to pay with 100 Dollar Notes. As I prefer to pay cash for most things, this sounds rather interesting. What do you think?

Kind regards from rainy and overcast Zurich.

Dolores

Your daughter is correct. It is not uncommon for businesses to refuse to take anything larger than a $20 bill. The reason is to limit their exposure to counterfeit money.

Your daughter is correct. It is not uncommon for businesses to refuse to take anything larger than a $20 bill. The reason is to limit their exposure to counterfeit money.

Thank you very much for this most useful information. Now, I will try to change my 100 Dollar notes into smaller denominations tomorrow at Zurich airport before flying out to JFK. And if not, there is still my credit card.

Regards

Dolores

Just trying to finalise plans for our 2 half days in NY, so any comments feel free!

Sun 3rd Jan 2010 Arr Cape Liberty on Explorer. We won't be in a mad rush to get off, so will just grab a cab to the Marriott Newark Airport, unless we get the shuttle bus that 'might' be running to the Airport. Is the bus usually about or just sometimes? Anyway, dump the bags and head off to NY. I believe consensus of opinion is to get a cab to Newark Penn station, then we'll get the PATH to WTC. Have a look round there and jump on one of the HOHO buses. As has been suggested, will probably use the Grayline one. We'll probably buy the ticket on the day (just in case of rain/snow!). Does anyone know if you can buy a 1 day ticket rather than the $54 2 day one? Do you think we will have time to do the Downtown and Uptown loops? (Get on 'Downtown' by the WTC, change to 'Uptown' near Central Pk, do 'Uptown', change back and back down to WTC). Then back on the PATH to Newark.

We'll have to check out on the Mon 4th, but I'd like to go to Ellis Island/SoL, so we'll leave the bags at the hotel, do cab and PATH to Exchange Place and the Light Rail to Liberty State Pk and the shuttle bus to the ferry slip (how long will all that take?). At this time of year, do you think we have to pre book the ferry? Just thinking, because if its raining/snowing we might not do this. Anyway, back to the hotel, grab bags and check in for our 1850 flight.

Does this all sound like a workable plan? Any comments, feel free to chip in/criticise...I can take it!!:D

Simon

Sounds like you've really done your homework on this one. Don't really know about the HoHo - it seems like they only offer a 48 hour ticket. However, Jan 3 is the last day for the Holiday Lights tour, so you might be able to take advantage of that. If you don't buy your tickets ahead, then you have to find a physical location in Manhattan to get them and I'm seeing only uptown locations for that.

CITY SIGHTSEEING: Where can I buy tickets in New York City?

Answer: While we strongly encourage you to buy tickets in advance on our website, you can also purchase tickets in New York City at any of our four convenient ticket offices: 777 Eighth Avenue (between 47th & 48th Streets), the Port Authority Terminal at 42nd Street & 8th Avenue (street level entrance), the Times Square Visitor Center (Broadway between 46th & 47th Streets), or the Gray Line / NYC & Co. Visitors Center (810 7th Avenue at 53rd Street).

So if you don't have your tickets, then you need to take the NJTransit train from Newark to NY instead of Path to the WTC and walk to Port Authority to buy them. I think you would be better off buying a round trip train ticket for $7 and basing your sightseeing day on midtown Manhattan. If you're really worried about the weather, you need a Plan B for indoor activities.

Going to the SOL from Liberty State Park in January should not be an issue. However, by the time you pay for a round trip cab to Newark Penn Station, Path and the Light Rail, you could rent a car for a similar amount of money. This would give you a place to store your luggage and would be a lot easier. The trip from the airport to Liberty State Park is about 20 minutes (instead of an hour+). What time is your flight?

Thanks to everyone here for all the great info! I've been following this thread for quite a while in anticipation of our Explorer cruise on Sept. 26. The only question I have left is to double-check that exit 14A from the NJ turnpike to route 440 is accessible. Is the construction finished...no detour needed?

Again, many thanks!

Kathy

sounds like you've really done your homework on this one. Don't really know about the hoho - it seems like they only offer a 48 hour ticket. However, jan 3 is the last day for the holiday lights tour, so you might be able to take advantage of that. If you don't buy your tickets ahead, then you have to find a physical location in manhattan to get them and i'm seeing only uptown locations for that.

Going to the sol from liberty state park in january should not be an issue. However, by the time you pay for a round trip cab to newark penn station, path and the light rail, you could rent a car for a similar amount of money. This would give you a place to store your luggage and would be a lot easier. The trip from the airport to liberty state park is about 20 minutes (instead of an hour+). What time is your flight?

welcome back!

Just trying to finalise plans for our 2 half days in NY, so any comments feel free!

Sun 3rd Jan 2010 Arr Cape Liberty on Explorer. We won't be in a mad rush to get off, so will just grab a cab to the Marriott Newark Airport, unless we get the shuttle bus that 'might' be running to the Airport. Is the bus usually about or just sometimes? I think it is there all the time, unless it has left for the airport...i know that makes no sense, but hey-it's new jersey and sometimes we are a little odd!;) the shuttle thing may be a little cheaper but you'll still have to get onto the marriott shuttle...i would just hop a cab and be done with it. the savings isn't huge anyway.

Anyway, dump the bags and head off to NY. I believe consensus of opinion is to get a cab to Newark Penn station, then we'll get the PATH to WTC. Have a look round there and jump on one of the HOHO buses. As has been suggested, will probably use the Grayline one. We'll probably buy the ticket on the day (just in case of rain/snow!). Does anyone know if you can buy a 1 day ticket rather than the $54 2 day one? Do you think we will have time to do the Downtown and Uptown loops? (Get on 'Downtown' by the WTC, change to 'Uptown' near Central Pk, do 'Uptown', change back and back down to WTC). Then back on the PATH to Newark.

Funny i was just in NYC yesterday..there were soooo may greyline reps around (and one other city lights maybe?) that i thought i was trying to dodge timeshare sellers! LOL. i did NOT see any option BUT the 54 buck ticket as i was going to do a HoHo for a couple hours just for the heck of it (well, for all of you fine visitors) but 54 bucks for a couple hours was out of my price range!

We'll have to check out on the Mon 4th, but I'd like to go to Ellis Island/SoL, so we'll leave the bags at the hotel, do cab and PATH to Exchange Place and the Light Rail to Liberty State Pk and the shuttle bus to the ferry slip (how long will all that take?). At this time of year, do you think we have to pre book the ferry? Just thinking, because if its raining/snowing we might not do this. Anyway, back to the hotel, grab bags and check in for our 1850 flight.

Does this all sound like a workable plan? Any comments, feel free to chip in/criticise...I can take it!!:D

Simon

see a few spare comments above!

sounds good - and i see carol has given you additional info so i think you will do just fine!

Thanks to everyone here for all the great info! I've been following this thread for quite a while in anticipation of our Explorer cruise on Sept. 26. The only question I have left is to double-check that exit 14A from the NJ turnpike to route 440 is accessible. Is the construction finished...no detour needed?

Again, many thanks!

Kathy

carol (138east) just got back, so hopefully she will know....there has been some work once you are off the turnpike and 440 on the way into the pier, but that's par for the course.....

Sounds like you've really done your homework on this one. Don't really know about the HoHo - it seems like they only offer a 48 hour ticket. However, Jan 3 is the last day for the Holiday Lights tour, so you might be able to take advantage of that. If you don't buy your tickets ahead, then you have to find a physical location in Manhattan to get them and I'm seeing only uptown locations for that.

CITY SIGHTSEEING: Where can I buy tickets in New York City?

Answer: While we strongly encourage you to buy tickets in advance on our website, you can also purchase tickets in New York City at any of our four convenient ticket offices: 777 Eighth Avenue (between 47th & 48th Streets), the Port Authority Terminal at 42nd Street & 8th Avenue (street level entrance), the Times Square Visitor Center (Broadway between 46th & 47th Streets), or the Gray Line / NYC & Co. Visitors Center (810 7th Avenue at 53rd Street).

So if you don't have your tickets, then you need to take the NJTransit train from Newark to NY instead of Path to the WTC and walk to Port Authority to buy them. I think you would be better off buying a round trip train ticket for $7 and basing your sightseeing day on midtown Manhattan. If you're really worried about the weather, you need a Plan B for indoor activities.

Going to the SOL from Liberty State Park in January should not be an issue. However, by the time you pay for a round trip cab to Newark Penn Station, Path and the Light Rail, you could rent a car for a similar amount of money. This would give you a place to store your luggage and would be a lot easier. The trip from the airport to Liberty State Park is about 20 minutes (instead of an hour+). What time is your flight?

Thanks for the suggestions Carol. I hadn't even thought of hiring a car 2nd day. I'll look into it. According to the downloadable map on Graylines site, the stop by Battery Park has a ticket sales location (as do about 50% of the stops). I'll e mail Grayline and ask them.

Back to the hire car...I'll e mail the Marriott and ask if they have an 'on site' car hire place (as I know many US hotels do). If they don't, are all the car hire places next to each other at the airport? I seem to remember reading that was the case somewhere. I can always nip over via Marriotts shuttle and Airtrain to pick up a car. Our flight is 1850, so if we check in online, we would have to be in the building around 1630.

Simon

My only suggestion is don't take the City Sights tour as you can only sit on the top of the bus. Take Greyline like you originally said since if the weather is bad you can sit on the bottom. Yes, Greyline sells the Downtown loop and the Uptown Loop($39 each), but you have to exchange your online ticket or buy and get on at Times Square according to their website on 8th Avenue near 50th. So getting on at WTC won't be an option. We were going to do the Greyline Downtown tour so got a hotel right by their office but now we are going to change and use the car service that will take us to the pier and see the sites on the way to the cruise. Here is the Greyline link with all the info and maps.

http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/index.php

Go to left bottom to "view all tours" and there you will see the tours separately.

CITY SIGHTSEEING: Where do I pick up my sightseeing tickets that I purchased online?

Answer: You should pick up your tickets at our Gray Line New York Sightseeing office, located at 777 Eighth Avenue (between 47th & 48th Streets) or the Port Authority Terminal at 42nd Street & 8th Avenue (street level entrance).

Still waiting for a reply from Graylines, but I'm sorely tempted on the car hire idea. Just checked and for some reason we can get cars starting at around $70 all in, but if I switch to 'I'm from the UK' they go down in price and I can get a SUV from Budget for under £25 ($40)! So next question, looked at Google Earth and it looks fairly straightforward to Liberty Park, but are all the flyovers and ramps getting to the Bayonne Br as bad as it looks, or is it all well signposted? We are both professional truck drivers and have braved the Brussels ring road in rush hour, so we know what danger is!!

Simon

There are lots of ramps, but the signs are good. You want to take the NJ Turnpike extension to exit 14B. Not sure where the rental car will be, but you will get on the turnpike at either exit 13A or 14. Shouldn't be too bad driving on the "wrong" side of the road - it will be divided highways until you get off at exit 14B.

There are lots of ramps, but the signs are good. You want to take the NJ Turnpike extension to exit 14B. Not sure where the rental car will be, but you will get on the turnpike at either exit 13A or 14. Shouldn't be too bad driving on the "wrong" side of the road - it will be divided highways until you get off at exit 14B.

Thanks Carol. Rental car is by Airtrain P2, but we'll take it back to the Airport Marriott to load up the bags etc. Quite used to driving on the wrong side of the road from my time in Europe (where they don't which is the right side either!!) and previous trips to the US. Took the plunge and got an SUV from Budget...which was half the price of a 2 door compact! (£26 = $42!). As you would say 'go figure!' BTW, whats the toll to get over the bridge? Is it a 'chuck the right change in a bin' type thing or do you have to stop and give your money to a real human being!! Another BTW..is there a gas station near the airport to fill up on the way back to drop it off.

Simon

If you get on the turnpike at exit 14 it is $1.40. If you get on at 13A, it is $2.35. You will have to hand your toll to a real human being since you won't have an EZPass. I have no idea about gas stations in the area. However, they would likely be on Route 1 & 9. The rental car folks should be able to tell you.

IIRC the nearest gas stations are a mile or 2 south of the airport on 1 & 9 and are a PITA....lots of traffic there and you have to kind of go out of the way to turn around....

gas around here is about 2.35 or so a gallon..sometimes a little cheaper up by newark, but not necessarily near the airport.

if the car place offers a pay for it ahead deal that's in the 2.35 to 2.50 range i would do that and try to use as much as possible.....IMO it would be worth the money!

I'll ask Budget about that when I pick the car up. The only thing I've found in the small print so far is that if you do under 75 miles, they will automatically charge $13.99 unless you produce a receipt to show you've filled up. I have the clause highlighted for pick up day!

Looking on Google Earth, I can see there is a car park by the old railway terminus in Liberty State Pk, so this is where I'm heading for. Is it sign posted off the turnpike?

Simon

As I understand it there are two parking choices at Liberty State Park. One is $5 parking near the ferry dock. However, that could be filled with commuters if you are doing this on a weekday. The other choice is free parking and a bus that costs $1.35 exact change for a round trip to the ferry from the parking area. I think the area is well marked, but it would be good to download a detailed map.

As I understand it there are two parking choices at Liberty State Park. One is $5 parking near the ferry dock. However, that could be filled with commuters if you are doing this on a weekday. The other choice is free parking and a bus that costs $1.35 exact change for a round trip to the ferry from the parking area. I think the area is well marked, but it would be good to download a detailed map.

Would that be the place by the Light Rail station Carol?

Simon

Could anyone tell me the name of the bus company that picks up cruisers in Worcester, MA or Braintree, MA; (as well as other stops along the way) and goes to the cruiseport in Bayonne?

I will apologize because I know my question has been asked before, but I can't find the answer - I've searched this site for 2 days to no avail!

Thank you!!

Archived