~ all things carnival triumph! ~

travel_lover

We were in a cat 11 suite on Deck 7 and ours had a flat screen tv. No mini frig, though. There was an ice machine and a soda machine in a small rm down the hall from us. The soda sold in the machine was $1 per can, cheaper than getting it from the bar or room service. We used the ice and soda machine alot!

oh i thought the cat 11's had mini fridges bummer. 1.00 that is way cheaper is this little room near the laundry?

Did the bathroom have 1 or 2 sinks

We did the Triumph Thanksgiving week of 2008 for the Eastern Caribbean cruise. Our ports were St. Thomas, St. Martin and San Juan. The food was great. On the Lido deck, don't miss the minute steak sandwiches, freshly grilled. Those were very tasty. We ate all our breakfasts and dinners in the dining room (no supper club on Triumph) and the food was great. Breakfast portions were very small...almost child sized. An order of french toast was one piece of bread cut in half, a serving of pancakes was 2 pancakes, the omlettes were half the size that one received on the Lido deck. We started ordering eggs benedict every day because it was the one normal sized meal...2 English muffins with the poached egg, canadian bacon and sauce!!! Of course, you could order as many items as you wanted at breakfast, so maybe that accounts for the small portions. Be sure to try the mid afternoon tea at the Oxford Lounge, where they serve tea and little finger sandwiches and pastries.

The main shows were very good. We didn't do any of the late night comic shows, so cannot comment on those. The lady in the piano bar tried very hard, but for some reason I have a hard time with a woman in that role!

Service was very good...our room steward kept the cabin tidy. This was our 3rd cruise with Carnival, previous ones being on HAL and Disney. For the product you receive, I think Carnival is the best priced.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were on upper deck and had neither a refrigerator in the room nor a flat screen TV. We did see the little rooms with the soda machines and ice machines on the uppper deck, but they were always locked. Maybe they only open them on higher priced decks...I don't know.

In San Juan we did the walking excursion offered by Carnival. We booked it using the TV in the room, which is a nice way to book excursions...no lines at the excursion desk. This was a very informative tour walking around Old San Juan. Our ship docked in San Juan after dark, so our views from the fortress were limited...I'm sure it's gorgeous in the day time.

In St. Thomas we did the tram to Paradise Point...we also booked this from the TV in the cabin and it was slightly cheaper (maybe a few dollars per person) from if we had walked up and bought tickets on our own. You can walk to this from the dock. It's a tram up to a hilltop with a restaurant/gift shop and gorgeous views. Their specialty drink is the bushwacker and it is very tasty. We also took a cab to Meagan's Bay, hearing that National Geographic rated it as one of the 10 most beautiful beaches. The beach was pretty, but very crowded. There was one beach bar that looked a bit run down (atmosphere??). There was a charge to enter the beach. We didn't rent chairs, just spread our towels down. We didn't stay long as the beach was very crowded and the water a bit cold to swim in (this was Thanksgiving week, 2008).

In St. Marten, we took a cab to the French side and walked around Margiot. We were expecting more, the shops all looked a bit run down. I stood in line 45 minutes at the post office for a stamp and had a lovely conversation with a French woman who had recently moved there from France. She said we had a relatively short wait....that the lines can take longer. She also said that crime is a big problem on the island, expecially at night (we had read about his before hand and left all jewelry in the cabin safe). We walked around a bit, had lunch in a little outdoor cafe by an area where yachts were docked. All in all, we were not overly impressed with St. Marten...maybe we just were in the wrong area!

Triumph has a wine bar that makes a wonderful tirimisu martini. Also, on the deck with the big atrium there are doors leading outside to a deck with lounge chairs...a nice place to sit and relax with almost no crowds.

On formal night, some people really dressed up in evening gowns and tuxes, while others wore much more causal clothes. No one is denied entry into the dining room because of their dress. Just wear what you are comfortable in...you will probably never see these people again.

They have added the large screen outside by the pool, which showed movies at night. You could buy popcorn to eat outside.

One day there was a wine tasting offered for a fee.

i'm sure if you talked to the pvp they will. otherwise, from my understanding on the room stewards, just tell him he needs one and im sure they will accomodate :)

I'm assume you meant the for me? Yeah if I see my TA didn't take care of it i'll ask the room attendants and see what can be done for us.:)

We did the Triumph Thanksgiving week of 2008 for the Eastern Caribbean cruise. Our ports were St. Thomas, St. Martin and San Juan. The food was great. On the Lido deck, don't miss the minute steak sandwiches, freshly grilled. Those were very tasty. We ate all our breakfasts and dinners in the dining room (no supper club on Triumph) and the food was great. Breakfast portions were very small...almost child sized. An order of french toast was one piece of bread cut in half, a serving of pancakes was 2 pancakes, the omlettes were half the size that one received on the Lido deck. We started ordering eggs benedict every day because it was the one normal sized meal...2 English muffins with the poached egg, canadian bacon and sauce!!! Of course, you could order as many items as you wanted at breakfast, so maybe that accounts for the small portions. Be sure to try the mid afternoon tea at the Oxford Lounge, where they serve tea and little finger sandwiches and pastries.

The main shows were very good. We didn't do any of the late night comic shows, so cannot comment on those. The lady in the piano bar tried very hard, but for some reason I have a hard time with a woman in that role!

Service was very good...our room steward kept the cabin tidy. This was our 3rd cruise with Carnival, previous ones being on HAL and Disney. For the product you receive, I think Carnival is the best priced.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yummy those steak sandwhiches sound yummy! I'll be sure not to miss those!!

We were on upper deck and had neither a refrigerator in the room nor a flat screen TV. We did see the little rooms with the soda machines and ice machines on the uppper deck, but they were always locked. Maybe they only open them on higher priced decks...I don't know.

In San Juan we did the walking excursion offered by Carnival. We booked it using the TV in the room, which is a nice way to book excursions...no lines at the excursion desk. This was a very informative tour walking around Old San Juan. Our ship docked in San Juan after dark, so our views from the fortress were limited...I'm sure it's gorgeous in the day time.

In St. Thomas we did the tram to Paradise Point...we also booked this from the TV in the cabin and it was slightly cheaper (maybe a few dollars per person) from if we had walked up and bought tickets on our own. You can walk to this from the dock. It's a tram up to a hilltop with a restaurant/gift shop and gorgeous views. Their specialty drink is the bushwacker and it is very tasty. We also took a cab to Meagan's Bay, hearing that National Geographic rated it as one of the 10 most beautiful beaches. The beach was pretty, but very crowded. There was one beach bar that looked a bit run down (atmosphere??). There was a charge to enter the beach. We didn't rent chairs, just spread our towels down. We didn't stay long as the beach was very crowded and the water a bit cold to swim in (this was Thanksgiving week, 2008).

In St. Marten, we took a cab to the French side and walked around Margiot. We were expecting more, the shops all looked a bit run down. I stood in line 45 minutes at the post office for a stamp and had a lovely conversation with a French woman who had recently moved there from France. She said we had a relatively short wait....that the lines can take longer. She also said that crime is a big problem on the island, expecially at night (we had read about his before hand and left all jewelry in the cabin safe). We walked around a bit, had lunch in a little outdoor cafe by an area where yachts were docked. All in all, we were not overly impressed with St. Marten...maybe we just were in the wrong area!

Triumph has a wine bar that makes a wonderful tirimisu martini. Also, on the deck with the big atrium there are doors leading outside to a deck with lounge chairs...a nice place to sit and relax with almost no crowds.

On formal night, some people really dressed up in evening gowns and tuxes, while others wore much more causal clothes. No one is denied entry into the dining room because of their dress. Just wear what you are comfortable in...you will probably never see these people again.

They have added the large screen outside by the pool, which showed movies at night. You could buy popcorn to eat outside.

Thank you for all your information, wow a tirimisu martini sounds pretty good! That deck with the lounge chairs sounds like the place I like to relax in on NCL so i'll be sure to check that out. How much was the popcorn? Did they play movies even during the day?

I have asked this question 3 or 4 times on other posts about the Triumph...still have not gotten an answer. :o

We are booked in a 9A on the Verandah deck and I hope that they have or will have flat screens by the time we set sail in January of 2010. :) Maybe someone will be able to tell us something on this thread. Do you know if it is due for another dry dock or upgrade in the fall when it will move to New Orleans?:confused:

When in Jan? We are the 16th....We are having an all girls cruise.

Thanks for all the tips!:D I've now got a legal-sized sheet of paper filled up with them! Tirimisu Martini - I'm there!:p Mimi Steak sandwiches, freshly grilled - I'm there!:p Lounge chairs away from the crowds - I'm there:p Movies and popcorn - ditto! I'm gonna be all over the Triumph!!!:D I wish we were sailing tomorrow. Oh yeah, look for me at the mid-afternoon tea!:)

Thanks for all the tips!:D I've now got a legal-sized sheet of paper filled up with them! Tirimisu Martini - I'm there!:p Mimi Steak sandwiches, freshly grilled - I'm there!:p Lounge chairs away from the crowds - I'm there:p Movies and popcorn - ditto! I'm gonna be all over the Triumph!!!:D I wish we were sailing tomorrow. Oh yeah, look for me at the mid-afternoon tea!

lol same here...i'm so there!!! :p

The flip flop thing has me confused - I know the rubber flip flops that you wear around the pool aren't allowed in the dining room but the daughter and I both have jeweled flat shoes that have the strap between the toes that we were planning on wearing with our dresses on formal night - would those also be considered flip flops?

No, those will be fine. The rubber flipflops that are used for the beach and pool and, grungy looking ones are what are banned.:eek: The nicer, dressier ones are fine. I've worn them plenty of times.;) Good taste (making sure your feet are clean for example - trust me I've seen some grungy looking feet in sandals and nice flip flops) is the rule of the day!:D

Hello,

There is a fee for the popcorn? Do you know how much? What sort of movies did they show?

Thanks!!:)

The flip flop thing has me confused - I know the rubber flip flops that you wear around the pool aren't allowed in the dining room but the daughter and I both have jeweled flat shoes that have the strap between the toes that we were planning on wearing with our dresses on formal night - would those also be considered flip flops?

Anything that looks dressy should be fine.

I don't remember the fee for the popcorn, but it wasn't much, maybe $1. During Thanksgiving week they mostly showed Action Movies...can't remember what they were, one had Will Smith in it. Maybe someone has Capers handy, sorry I can't put my hands on mine now. The speakers are really good outside, so maybe they are more conducive to action movies than to love stories! LOL! The movies were only shown at night. During the day, the big screen was used to show graphics while music played. I missed having live bands on the Lido Deck, as it seemed the piped in music and graphics during the day substituted for live bands during the day. There was some live music during the day, but not as much as I have seen on ships without the big screen.

We had no complaints at all with Triumph, other than the parking at the port of Miami being a bit hard to find. The parking garage for the terminal which Triumph departed from in Nov., 2008 is being built...signs point to the garage (I think it was D), but when you get there, there is just a large, empty space. After circling around 3 times, we finally asked an attendant and were pointed to an adjacent garage (I think it was C). I guess if you knew where you were going, it would be easier to find, but this was our first departure from Miami. Once we found the right garage, it was fine...just a short walk to the Carnival terminal. You pay your parking fee upon departure, which was new to us, as we are used to paying upon arrival at Port Canaveral and Tampa. Yes, $20 a day is steep to park, but we felt the car was safe and the peace of mind was worth it. Unlike other ports we have been to, the Port of Miami parking lot also took charge cards.

Another tip for all cruises...if you are buying the unlimited soda card, if you wait until the ship departs from the terminal, you will save the sales tax. The same goes for any purchases in the shops, such as the Carnival mugs, etc. Also, on cocktails, you are charged sales tax while in port. Not that this deters from enjoying a DOD upon arrival, just something to think about if you have a large group who will all be getting soda cards!

I don't remember the fee for the popcorn, but it wasn't much, maybe $1. During Thanksgiving week they mostly showed Action Movies...can't remember what they were, one had Will Smith in it. Maybe someone has Capers handy, sorry I can't put my hands on mine now. The speakers are really good outside, so maybe they are more conducive to action movies than to love stories! LOL! The movies were only shown at night. During the day, the big screen was used to show graphics while music played. I missed having live bands on the Lido Deck, as it seemed the piped in music and graphics during the day substituted for live bands during the day. There was some live music during the day, but not as much as I have seen on ships without the big screen.

We had no complaints at all with Triumph, other than the parking at the port of Miami being a bit hard to find. The parking garage for the terminal which Triumph departed from in Nov., 2008 is being built...signs point to the garage (I think it was D), but when you get there, there is just a large, empty space. After circling around 3 times, we finally asked an attendant and were pointed to an adjacent garage (I think it was C). I guess if you knew where you were going, it would be easier to find, but this was our first departure from Miami. Once we found the right garage, it was fine...just a short walk to the Carnival terminal. You pay your parking fee upon departure, which was new to us, as we are used to paying upon arrival at Port Canaveral and Tampa. Yes, $20 a day is steep to park, but we felt the car was safe and the peace of mind was worth it. Unlike other ports we have been to, the Port of Miami parking lot also took charge cards.

Another tip for all cruises...if you are buying the unlimited soda card, if you wait until the ship departs from the terminal, you will save the sales tax. The same goes for any purchases in the shops, such as the Carnival mugs, etc. Also, on cocktails, you are charged sales tax while in port. Not that this deters from enjoying a DOD upon arrival, just something to think about if you have a large group who will all be getting soda cards!

When I was on Crown Princess the movies they played were finding nemo, incredibles...some action movies. I thought it was a nice touch.

$20 may seem steep but for NYC it's $30 so that doesn't seem too expensive when i'm used to NYC.:rolleyes:

Wow what a great tip, I didn't know that I thought you always get charged the same no matter when you purchase. Thank you! ;)

I know that ships did away with bridge tours a LONG time ago due to security issues. Wondering if galley tours still exist? Anyone out there have a recent copy of Triumph Capers?

I'm not sure about Carnival but I know NCL does behind the ship tours for a fee.

I know that ships did away with bridge tours a LONG time ago due to security issues. Wondering if galley tours still exist? Anyone out there have a recent copy of Triumph Capers?

I was last on the Trimuph the Summer of 07 for a 4 day cruise nyc to St. John's and they did a gallery tour then (no charge). When they offered bridge tour about 7-8 years ago, it was done while we were in port. I choose to go off the ship but my friend did it and enjoyed it.

Also the high tea is great fun, small sandwiches, pastries and of course coffee and tea. They also usually have a few people playing classical music.

I was last on the Trimuph the Summer of 07 for a 4 day cruise nyc to St. John's and they did a gallery tour then (no charge). When they offered bridge tour about 7-8 years ago, it was done while we were in port. I choose to go off the ship but my friend did it and enjoyed it.

Also the high tea is great fun, small sandwiches, pastries and of course coffee and tea. They also usually have a few people playing classical music.

I've never participated in high tea maybe I should try, sounds nice.

I've never participated in high tea maybe I should try, sounds nice.

It is very nice, and I am always surprised at the small number of people that attend. My daughter and I always go to this, in this day and age how often do you get to "have afternoon tea"?;) We make it special..although it is not a dress up occasion or anything, just relaxing and fun. I hope that Carnival always continues to do this. :)

It is very nice, and I am always surprised at the small number of people that attend. My daughter and I always go to this, in this day and age how often do you get to "have afternoon tea"?;) We make it special..although it is not a dress up occasion or anything, just relaxing and fun. I hope that Carnival always continues to do this. :)

Well in that case I will be sure to check it out, you're right! ;)

We were on the Triumph during Thanksgiving week 2008 and they offered the Galley Tour. I think it was our last sea day. It was very crowded, with lots of people doing the tour, but it was nice to see how clean the kitchens were!

We wished there had been more 70s and 80s night in the disco. They always seemed to be playing rap music. One night for a couple of hours, they did 70s music...too little time in my humble opinion!!

The piano bar was fun and the lady really tried hard, but I just have a preference for male piano players.

The lobby bar did have a gentleman playing piano (but not singing). He was very good though!!

Archived