Is my cabin category REALLY gone already?

elycelynne

Just out of curiosity, I went on HAL's website to see which VD cabins were available for my 12/6/09 cruise on the Westerdam (mine is already booked). I was surprised to see that all they were offering was a guarantee. I also happened upon another cruise agency's website that gave me the guarantee, as well as two handicapped rooms (which I guess goes to show that HAL does keep them available for the able-bodied to book).

Seeing that the cruise is still about ten months away and not at a peak time of year, this really surprised me. Could they already have upgraded everyone who booked a lesser level of V-category cabins?

A poster with more than 30 years of onboard experience has shared with this board how the average cabin is sold as many as 8 X before it is occupied. What is shows today may not be what it shows tomorrow.

It is highly unlikely upgrades are occuring ten months into the future.

A poster with more than 30 years of onboard experience has shared with this board how the average cabin is sold as many as 8 X before it is occupied. What is shows today may not be what it shows tomorrow...

I hadn't read that, hammy - so thanks for pointing it out. I'll just keep checking on the availability for my 02/10 cabins. Perhaps a better one will show up and I can make a switch.

EIGHT times! Amazing!

Does anyone understand why this might happen? Each of two 10 day segments show a certain cabin as available. When looking at the 20 day "collection" cruise, which consists both of those segments - that particular cabin is not available.

It doesn't make any sense to me to offer that cabin on the individual trips but not on the combined one. Cabin prices don't change within a given category - could HAL be thinking it's easier to sell the better location for 10 days than it is for 20? I'm just so confused. :)

Eight times? Sounds fishy to me.

Roz

Yeah me too. Seems to me I questioned him on that and he backed off that argument pretty quickly. Personally I've learned to take what that particular poster says and not bet the bank on it. He tends to state things but when questioned more the story is quite different from the original appearance.

GmaPajama

We have taken several "collection" or combined cruises, 7+7, 32+32, 22+20.

Each time there have been separate lists of rooms available for all 3 of the individual cruises. Mostly there is no overlap, sometimes the two segments will list a couple of the same rooms. Interestingly enough, there is no consistency on whether the "whole" gets the "better" cabins or the two segments does.

In your case that particular cabin is being sold only for the 10 day segments. From what I have seen, the combined cruises, like the 20 day one, will have only a few cabins assigned to it, with the two 10 day segments having the vast majority of cabins availalbe. Usually the combined cruises are less expensive than the two segments, so this makes sense from HAL's profit point of view.

Yeah me too. Seems to me I questioned him on that and he backed off that argument pretty quickly. Personally I've learned to take what that particular poster says and not bet the bank on it. He tends to state things but when questioned more the story is quite different from the original appearance.

That poster was me. The Sales and Marketing people at HAL, NCL, Carnival, and RCCL have all confirmed with me at various times that the average mass market stateroom is sold an average of 8 times before each cruise. The cruising public is far more fickle than we realize.

Well, if CoconutFish has it right - I guess I just have to live with it. I have to say though - it's killing me to see the exact cabin I want available for each of the segments, but not for my combo.

But, being the eternal optimist that I am - I'll just focus on the thrill of being able to cruise at all. :)

GmaPajama

You could book this as two separate cruises. I note that many people do book back-to-backs separately, with two booking numbers.

What is the price difference between the two 10 day cruises and the 20 day one?

Sadly, the price difference is substantial. I suppose that's why they saved the "choice" cabins.

No matter - I will be snug as a bug in a rug. :)

What is the best site to see what is available on a certain sailing?:confused:

There is no site that shows all of the available cabins, all of the time. There are many sites that try and create this perception. You could use the HAL site and key in cabin number and wait for a response. By the time you finish, the cabin inventory will have changed. Blocks of cabins can be sold or returned to inventory, in a blink.

Well, if CoconutFish has it right - I guess I just have to live with it. I have to say though - it's killing me to see the exact cabin I want available for each of the segments, but not for my combo.

But, being the eternal optimist that I am - I'll just focus on the thrill of being able to cruise at all. :)

It costs nothing to ask.

Sadly, the price difference is substantial. I suppose that's why they saved the "choice" cabins.

No matter - I will be snug as a bug in a rug. :)

Try booking it as back-to-backs using Code "ZC". We use that code for booking all our back-to-backs. I can't say it will work for your specific cruise or be worth much but there's nothing to lose by trying.

Try booking it as back-to-backs using Code "ZC". We use that code for booking all our back-to-backs. I can't say it will work for your specific cruise or be worth much but there's nothing to lose by trying.

Thanks for the Code, Sail. We gave it a try, but pricing was still more than what we have for the plain old 20 day. There's nealy a year till the cruise - we'll just keep our eyes open and see if our preferred cabin area opens up. Even if it doesn't it - we DO have the right category, so are happy enough.

Many agencies hold group space which is not recalled by the cruislines until closer to sailings...Once the "unsold" cabins have been recalled they will appear in inventory.

I have heard both sides of this story...that "group space" is not cabin specific and therefore does not effect cabin availability and that it is cabin specific.

I suspect the correct answer is, it all depends....;)

I noticed that, while the guarantee is all that's being offered for the VD category, that there's specific cabin availability in VA through VC. So would this possibly mean that they're in the process of upgrading those who booked either lesser guarantees or lower V-category cabins to the VD cabins?

I also noticed that only "As You Wish" dinner seating is available, with either early or late (can't remember which) showing as "Waitlisted" and the other showing as "Closed". Really??? For a December '09 cruise? I hope this isn't an indicator that there's some humongous group onboard (there wasn't any mention of any in "the list" that's a "Sticky").

I also noticed that only "As You Wish" dinner seating is available, with either early or late (can't remember which) showing as "Waitlisted" and the other showing as "Closed". Really??? For a December '09 cruise? I hope this isn't an indicator that there's some humongous group onboard (there wasn't any mention of any in "the list" that's a "Sticky").

HAL is really bad for holding space on their ships and only letting a small portion of the traditional go at first. I had to book my Nov.08 cruise 15 months in advance to get traditional and after they confirmed I could have it they screwed it up and put me in open. To say I was furious is putting it mildly. After I got in touch with someone in charge in Seattle all was fixed. It did cause me a lot of grief for no good reason. They really seem to like to push folks into their anytime dining. Maybe that is their way of trying to make it look like a sucess. There are a lot of people that ike open....but I bet there are more that don't.

I will agree with other posters..your choice may become available. Personally I booked an inside cabin, changed by mind and booked a veranda cabin(handicapped which I didn't need.), I decided I needed to move out of the handicapped cabin on moral grounds. I then booked a regular veranda cabin, I am sure that I am not the only one who changes cabins,

That poster was me. The Sales and Marketing people at HAL, NCL, Carnival, and RCCL have all confirmed with me at various times that the average mass market stateroom is sold an average of 8 times before each cruise. The cruising public is far more fickle than we realize.

Philip's info is correct. It's what I've been told by the cruise line reps for many years. The "average" stateroom is sold about 8x before finally being sailed in.

Don't forget that this statistic includes people putting a courtesy hold without an accompanying deposit. A surprisingly small percentage of courtesy holds (options) actually convert to a deposited booking.

Best advice: keep an eye on your sailing and the available cabins. I was just able to move to a more desirable cabin when it opened up unexpectedly.

Archived