A Challenge For All on the Princess Board

utahgal

For one day – 24 short hours -- I challenge all to post respectful responses to the questions / topics on the Princess section of Cruise Critic.

For one day… I challenge each responder to refrain from going off on a tangent that does not answer the question asked. If there is confusion about the post, ask the OP to clarify rather than make assumptions that take the thread off in negative directions.

For one day … don’t pretend to work for Princess and know all the answers. Don’t assume you know how Princess does everything based on an experience you have had. If you must respond with a negative experience make an attempt to do it with respect and professionalism.

For one day … understand there are two sides to every story when something goes wrong. Don’t jump to the conclusion the TA is the devil incarnate in all situations. Go out on a limb and recommend positive, constructive ways to resolve a situation – or just don’t comment.

For one day… share in the joy of the person that is excited because they were assigned a better stateroom than they started with rather than immediately saying “this really isn’t an upgrade as it is still an inside / balcony, etc.”

For one day…. if you have a burning desire to write about a pet peeve, start a respectful thread about your concern rather than hijack someone’s thread that is a perfectly innocent question.

For one day… when you haven’t actually experienced a situation, don’t respond because chances are you could be wrong.

For one day…. after 5 people have already answered , don’t add the one liners “I agree”, “right”, “yes”, etc.. Take a day off from increasing the post count and focus on respectful, helpful answers – or just kick back and don’t respond at all.

For one day…..don’t pass judgment based on your beliefs. Demonstrate tolerance of diverse groups and respect for other’s beliefs. If one wants to know when kids are out of school and that offends you, move on to another thread.

It would be great to have a day without the sniping, inappropriate comments and non-answers to questions. Just think if this can be done for one 24 hour period – maybe it can be done for 48 hours next month.

I think it is a very good idea but I truly doubt that it will happen. We have so many diverse posters on this board that have differing opinions. It would be nice if it did work.

Marilyn

what a strange post utahgal:confused: I am a newbie myself and I have found very little sniping when I have asked questions? I like the fact that people add posts saying they agree or, yes, or whatever, as to me it means my questions are being looked at. I like the fact that threads go offtopic at certain times, I like most of what I read on here. To me it shows it is a forum with living breathing people putting across their thoughts and suggestions. I like the fact that I am forging "friendships" with people I may, or may not, meet when I go on my cruise.

I may have only just "joined" but I lurked for years. It was only recently that I learned the fun of actually being a participant. This is one of my favorite travel web sites.

Utahgal - please remember that a site like Cruise Critic is open to everyone's opinion - what you posted is what you would like to see on the site, essentially what, in "your opinion" this site should be. Although you make some very good points and I agree with a lot of what you wrote - I have to say, I like Cruise Critic just the way it is - I wouldn't change a thing.

And by the way -the responding posts to every question I have asked on this site have been extremely helpful and presented only with kindness. I often stand in awe of the patience displayed by some of the long time posters who answer the same question by newbies, time and time again, with utmost patience.

I've learned to just ignore inappropriate responses and move on - but I have to admit that I sometimes even enjoy the quips and snips - especially when it involves a good comeback!:D

I may have only just "joined" but I lurked for years. It was only recently that I learned the fun of actually being a participant. This is one of my favorite travel web sites.

Utahgal - please remember that a site like Cruise Critic is open to everyone's opinion - what you posted is what you would like to see on the site, essentially what, in "your opinion" this site should be. Although you make some very good points and I agree with a lot of what you wrote - I have to say, I like Cruise Critic just the way it is - I wouldn't change a thing.

And by the way -the responding posts to every question I have asked on this site have been extremely helpful and presented only with kindness. I often stand in awe of the patience displayed by some of the long time posters who answer the same question by newbies, time and time again, with utmost patience.

I've learned to just ignore inappropriate responses and move on - but I have to admit that I sometimes even enjoy the quips and snips - especially when it involves a good comeback!:D

Well said. ;)

Don't know where you're going with this. :cool:

So why did you post this on a Princess Thread? ? ? :confused:..:cool:

You said it yourself -

someone hijacks the thread and starts chatting away.:rolleyes:

Talk is Cheap!!! If you do not practice what you preach, others will not take you seriously and will not follow your advice...:rolleyes:

If there is confusion about the post, ask the OP to clarify rather than make assumptions that take the thread off in negative directions.

For one day … Go out on a limb and recommend positive, constructive ways to resolve a situation – or just don’t comment.

For one day…. if you have a burning desire to write about a pet peeve, start a respectful thread about your concern rather than hijack someone’s thread that is a perfectly innocent question.

For one day… when you haven’t actually experienced a situation, don’t respond because chances are you could be wrong.

For one day…. after 5 people have already answered , don’t add the one liners “I agree”, “right”, “yes”, etc.. Take a day off from increasing the post count and focus on respectful, helpful answers – or just kick back and don’t respond at all.

For one day…..don’t pass judgment based on your beliefs. Demonstrate tolerance of diverse groups and respect for other’s beliefs.

It would be great to have a day without the sniping, inappropriate comments and non-answers to questions. .

Wow, for someone who as only posted 3 times on this board I get the feeling that you don't like it here!

Somehow I kind of feel like judgement has been passed on most of us by your one day requests since you obviously feel like many posters here don't respond properly or positively. Doesn't that kind of negate exactly what you're proposing???

I've been active in online groups for over 15 years - mailing lists, usenet groups, forums like this - and I've seen a wide range of behavior. I must say that Cruise Critic is a rather civilized place! I don't read all the boards, but in the ones I do read, I have never seen serious FLAMING as I have seen elsewhere. Yes, folks do tend to get to know each other and get chatty, and sometimes go off topic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes somebody posts a question about a topic and it gets answered, but others that read the thread have other questions about the same topic so the thread evolves. In the long run, I like this, because if I choose to read a thread about something, say coffee cards, I don't just get the answer to one questions, I get full information about what it is, how it works, how much it costs, etc. without having to read multiple discussions.

Now, my biggest pet peeve is non-descriptive subject lines! I hate wasting my time on topics entitled "Help me!" or "A quick question" or "Help me choose." Oh, sorry, I'm going off on a tangent...

For one day – 24 short hours -- I challenge.....

Jeeze, utahgal... 2/3 of your history here at Cruise Critic represents your critique of the style of other peoples' posts.

Perhaps rather than being bossy in this well-established forum, you should start your own bossy-forum somewhere else? It's human here... all walks of life, all types of people. You really can't become the dictator of the group when you've not much been involved.

Cruise Critic = discussing your cruise... not nailing other members.

Keep in mind...

"Don't like 'em?

Don't criticize 'em! Just...

Don't read 'em!"

I love Cruise Critic just the way it is.

As I mentioned above we all think differently.

To the OP . If we all behaved the way you described then there would be a bunch of ROBOTS writing the threads............Boring, Boring.:eek:

I personally love different points of view and believe it or not I have learned alot from them.:)

I like to see mulitple agreements to answers when I ask questions. If you get one answer, you hope it's correct. If you get one answer and five agreements, you still hope it's correct but your confidence in it is higher. :)

Archived